• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntMurda

Next Level Games is an independent studio, apart of working with Nintendo every now and then they are no ties between them and Nintendo.

That's not true at all. Nintendo revealed a program called venture fund which is an initiative for satellite developers who create first party content for Nintendo. The details are of course not for our understanding, but it's some type of program that keeps a certain amount of willing developers constantly pitching and working on projects for Nintendo. Alpha Dream, Skip, and surely these western studios that always make games with Nintendo SPD.

That's not true at all. Nintendo revealed a program called venture fund which is an initiative for satellite developers who create first party content for Nintendo. The details are of course not for our understanding, but it's some type of program that keeps a certain amount of willing developers constantly pitching and working on projects for Nintendo. Alpha Dream, Skip, and surely these western studios that always make games with Nintendo SPD.

Do you have a link or source for this? I've never heard of it before.

Alpha Dream and Skip don't make games for other platforms.

Opiate

So, to respond to the notion that all games should be multiplatform, I would say that I very strongly disagree. Let me explain why.

Outside of smaller concerns like porting costs (porting costs increase overall cost, which generally decreases risk taking), the primary reason to desire exclusives is interface. As a simple example, imagine if all RTS were on all platforms, and were forced to simultaneously be playable using a KB/M and also a standard controller. Imagine The original Bayonetta requiring compatibility with both the standard gamepad but also KB/M and Wii mote. Imagine if Street Fighter needed to be tuned not just for the Arcade Stick, but also Wii Mote; or if MOBAs like DotA 2 had to be reasonably playable with the Dual Shock.

RTS are fundamentally changed when they are forced to be playable with a gamepad; I wouldn't say they are bad games, but certainly very different. And that is the real problem with this list; it forces homogenization of design. RTS games designed around the game pad are different than those designed around KB/M; fighters designed around Wii Mote play very differently than those designed around game pad, and so forth.

Forcing all these games and genres to be multiplatform on all platforms would force all games to have similar design because none can be tailor made to their specific controller. That is the primary problem with absolute multiplatform development.

Seems like something more fit for a horror game.

Maybe even something like a new Eternal Darkness.

ib1EGatdUjWIBg.gif

This is meant to be a positive reaction. Because it makes too much goddamn sense.

Late to the party here, just stopping by to express my disbelief at Bayo-gate. Like, I saw the original reactions here but assumed they were all just sarcasm or whatever, but the meltdowns/hate is way worse in other, less "controlled" environments on the Internet. I literally can't wrap my head around what I've been reading.

I get where someone might initially be just a little upset about this game being an exclusive, but as far as we know it had already been cancelled, right? Like, sure, you aren't going to get to play it on X360/PS3 now that it's Wii U exclusive, but, you weren't going to get to play it on X360/PS3 anyway if it was cancelled, right?

I'd always heard of these legendary meltdown threads but never actually believed in them. We're off the map--here, there be dragons.

So, to respond to the notion that all games should be multiplatform, I would say that I very strongly disagree. Let me explain why.

Outside of smaller concerns like porting costs (porting costs increase overall cost, which generally decreases risk taking), the primary reason to desire exclusives is interface. As a simple example, imagine if all RTS were on all platforms, and were forced to simultaneously be playable using a KB/M and also a standard controller. Imagine The original Bayonetta requiring compatibility with both the standard gamepad but also KB/M and Wii mote. Imagine if Street Fighter needed to be tuned not just for the Arcade Stick, but also Wii Mote; or if MOBAs like DotA 2 had to be reasonably playable with the Dual Shock.

RTS are fundamentally changed when they are forced to be playable with a gamepad; I wouldn't say they are bad games, but certainly very different. And that is the real problem with this list; it forces homogenization of design. RTS games designed around the game pad are different than those designed around KB/M; fighters designed around Wii Mote play very differently than those designed around game pad, and so forth.

Forcing all these games and genres to be multiplatform on all platforms would force all games to have similar design because none can be tailor made to their specific controller. That is the primary problem with absolute multiplatform development.

Took the words right out of Masahiro Sakurai's mouth. Homogenization of controls leads to homogenization of design.

freddy

Banned
Yes, I think you're being reasonable Fugu. I don't agree with your conclusion, but you aren't some crazy fanboy violently rebelling against the kiddy Nintendo. People really need to distinguish between reasonable concerns and childish fanboyism.

Here's a place for some people to start: you'll notice some people who express concern are banned and some people are not. Fugu, for example, is not banned. This suggests that the moderators see a distinction between puerile fanboyism (Banned) and reasonably articulated concerns and/or frustration (Fugu, and others, who are not banned). You may not agree with all moderator assessments, but it's certainly a place to start if you'd like to observe and distinguish the difference.
And yet the end result of both is that the main focus of discussion has become about which console the game is on.

Opiate

I think the entirety of my point about multiplatform design can be summarized by simply asking people to look at Halo Wars. The point is not that it is a bad game, the point is that it is a very different game than most high level RTS on PC. Unless you demand that all RTS play like Halo Wars so that all RTS can be played on Xbox and PC (and this is before we include iOS touch interfaces, Wii Mote, etc), then you don't really want all games to be multiplatform.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Here's something to think about. What if nintendo is now publishing Devil's Third.

I'd welcome that with open arms as well.

I was looking so forward to that game, it sucks that THQ couldn't deliver it still.

so Bayo-gate has become a thing? heh eh

What is Sega's role in all of this? I read Advisor to the project and laughed.

Does SEGA own the IP or does P* own it?

Forever

Banned
so Bayo-gate has become a thing? heh eh

What is Sega's role in all of this? I read Advisor to the project and laughed.

Does SEGA own the IP or does P* own it?

They used to own it, and they clearly still have some stake in it. Nintendo might have taken partial ownership like with Fatal Frame, or they could just be licensing it.

So how do folks feel about Platinum's name and logo nowadays?

As they were the combination of Seeds and ODD:

seeds.jpg

Going by the site. it looks more like ODD absorbed Seeds rather than merged, but aside from Minaba who was at Capcom Studio 3, I don't know who else was at ODD.

Shame they didn't keep the Seeds name, the name and logo was perfect, but I wouldn't say Platinum Games is bad either, and the logo's spiffy, I mean look at their line-up, that earns them the Platinum name I would think. :)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm loving everything about this.

Honestly, its just great to have another generation start upon us for the reactions and meltdowns. Instead of people fighting it out for timed DLC and pixel counting. Its over actual games. *Tear*

And all this over a sequel to a title that wasn't supposed to happen, happening! A sequel that I'm jubilant for.

wsippel

Banned
Here's something to think about. What if nintendo is now publishing Devil's Third.
I thought about that a few months ago and I wouldn't really be surprised. It would fit their current agenda as far as I understand it. We all know Japanese developers are struggling in the west, and the whole mid tier is dying in favor of AAA blockbusters on one hand and lower profile downloadable, social and smartphone titles on the other hand - and I think that's exactly what Nintendo wants to fix.

Wouldn't hoping for an entirely multiplatform future mean that every game has to be made for the 3DS (which I assume is the weakest viable system on the market right now) and then ported elsewhere?

I wouldn't say that the PSP is dead, but releases these days are pretty damn rare.

Its not dead, but its just there, lying on the hospital bed waiting to get unplugged. :(

It was so good while it lasted though.

Made me giggle.

People were so sure the DS was doomed. Good times.

I doubt that very much. Keep in mind that Nintendo never actually bought Monolith Soft in the classic sense. Over the years Nintendo kept buying Bandai shares, probably in the hopes to take them over some day. When Bandai merged with Namco this plan became futile and Nintendo traded the shares back to the mother company in exchange for Monolith Soft.

Really? Never knew about that part. Pretty cool to know.

cajunator

Banned

I agree with this. RTS games could actually work pretty well with the wiimote for example. Any game requiring those QTEs or whatever could be implemented with motion. Each console has its strengths and weaknesses regarding what games are the best fit for it. I dont really understand how people think a one console future could possibly work.

I think the entirety of my point about multiplatform design can be summarized by simply asking people to look at Halo Wars. The point is not that it is a bad game, the point is that it is a very different game than most high level RTS on PC. Unless you demand that all RTS play like Halo Wars so that all RTS can be played on Xbox and PC (and this is before we include iOS touch interfaces, Wii Mote, etc), then you don't really want all games to be multiplatform.

I think that's one of the biggest problems the hardcore had with the Wii.
There were games that did genuinely look appealing to them, but they were irritated that, due to the motion controls inherent in most Wii titles, said games were doomed to stay on a platform with inferior graphics and a "family friendly" reputation.

demidar

I agree with this. RTS games could actually work pretty well with the wiimote for example. Any game requiring those QTEs or whatever could be implemented with motion. Each console has its strengths and weaknesses regarding what games are the best fit for it. I dont really understand how people think a one console future could possibly work.

I really want to see what unique thing the PS3 and X720. If they are just standard controller and box with hard drive then no thanks, I'll just stick to PC. Wii U gets interest because there is little overlap between that and PCs (and exclusive Nintendo games).

Fredrik

I really want to see what unique thing the PS3 and X720. If they are just standard controller and box with hard drive then no thanks, I'll just stick to PC.
Can you play Uncharted on your PC? ;)
That's really the key to success imo. Great exclusive games you simply can't play anywhere else.
Nintendo have them in droves with all their strong IP's.
Sony too with Uncharted, Infamous, Last of Us, God of War, Gran Turismo, etc.
MS is the one who'll lose the PC battle first, kind of. They own PC gaming but they'll also kill their console market sooner or later because of that. PC is soon to be Xbox. Live, Kinect, Avatars, Metro. It's all there. They need console exclusive games and features. Fast! They still have Forza as a console exclusive though.

demidar

Can you play Uncharted on your PC? ;)
That's really the key to success imo. Great exclusive games you simply can't play anywhere else.
Nintendo have them in droves with all their strong IP's.
Sony too with Uncharted, Infamous, Last of Us, God of War, Gran Turismo, etc.
MS is the one who'll lose the PC battle first, kind of. They own PC gaming but they'll also kill their console market sooner or later because of that. PC is soon to be Xbox. Live, Kinect, Avatars, Metro. It's all there. They need console exclusive games and features. Fast! They still have Forza as a console exclusive though.

You forget PC has exclusives. That said, God of War doesn't interest me, not into driving games, Uncharted series bores me (incoming death threats), not interested in Kinect and I will never go back to twin stick FPS's, ever.

edit: wait MS owns PC gaming? Explain.

NEO0MJ

Not sure if I get it, you didn't liked PSP? I invested so many hours on it, that's what I meant. ^^'

DS took some time to start, but when it happenned, holy shit.

Just remembering how we were all so confident in PSP's success and generally the madness all over the net before it launched.

Making a Bayonetta 2 for ps4/720, with Bayonetta 1 sales number, would probably have put Platinum out of business. This really is the best move for them. I can easily see them going the Monolith route and becoming Nintendo exclusive.

If The Wonderful 101 is even a mild success at launch, I fully expect a Rising port to Wii U before a late 2013 Bayo 2 release, and around that time we'll get a Platinum buyout.

Sadist

If The Wonderful 101 is even a mild success at launch, I fully expect a Rising port to Wii U before a late 2013 Bayo 2 release, and around that time we'll get a Platinum buyout.
That would be up to Konami, not Platinum Games.

And honestly expect jack from Konami concerning Nintendo consoles, especially on the Metal Gear front.

Rising would be Konami's call though, and let's face it; Kojima has hardly been supportive of Nintendo's home consoles; no Wii games even though Snake was in Brawl.

But a Platinum buyout is super likely, hell they got Monolith way before Disaster even came out, with BKO being the only previous collaboration.

That would be up to Konami, not Platinum Games.

And honestly expect jack from Konami concerning Nintendo consoles, especially on the Metal Gear front.

Bingo.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
But a Platinum buyout is super likely, hell they got Monolith way before Disaster even came out, with BKO being the only previous collaboration.

As video game nerds, many of us have an affinity for making lists and other things. But what is the fascination with this buy out idea? There is no empirical support for such a thing happening. Nintendo very rarely buys established companies anymore. Monolith was kind of a different situation as it was rumored Nintendo was planning a Bandai takeover (for all the licenses), and instead settled for Monolith Soft. There are tons of Japanese developers who constantly contract first-party games who never have been purchased. AlphaDream, Skip, Arika, Grounding, Ganbarrion, Paon, Camelot Software, Feel Good, Vitei, Q-Games, Game Freak, Mystwalker, Ambrella, Mitchell Corp, Grezzo, Indies Zero, Agenda, Red Corp, Artdink, Vanpool, Syn Sophia, Denyu-sha, etc. Each developer I listed collaborated on multiple first-party published games. Some as many as dozens! And all they work off of is some sort of contract and funding. No ownership.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Platinum won't want to be bought and Nintendo likely won't want to buy them. It's best for everyone if it doesn't happen.

Yeah

IIRC Kojima offered them jobs at his studio during Rising's development and they declined

I think they like being independent

and they seem to have friends and connections throughout the industry, so despite what alot of people think I don't think they'll ever have problems finding work.

EuroMIX

Wasn't there actually a statement by Nintendo that they didn't want to buyout developers to prevent talent bleeding out? They seemed more interesting in helping fund projects that took their interest, like Bayonetta 2 here.

Rich!

I really can't wait for this.

I'll probably play with the pro controller, as I'm used to the 360 pad for bayo 1, but if the touchscreen is implemented well, it could be awesome.

And with Nintendo involved, I'm sure it'll be superb.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I see no reason for Nintendo to buy out Platinum when per-game contractual agreements can give both companies the same security with fewer risks and greater independence. Platinum worked on five different games under the SEGA name. There's no reason a similar relationship couldn't be cultivated by Nintendo, assuming TW101 and Bayonetta 2 work out well.

Shahadan

The reactions and the potential bomba are worrying me. I'd love this to be a success on both fronts, maybe spawning some other franchise resurrections afterwards :(

I see no reason for Nintendo to buy out Platinum when per-game contractual agreements can give both companies the same security with fewer risks and greater independence. Platinum worked on five different games under the SEGA name. There's no reason a similar relationship couldn't be cultivated by Nintendo, assuming TW101 and Bayonetta 2 work out well.
I'm a diehard PG fan, and I think it's better for them to have a relationship similar to the one Sakurai has with Nintendo. Not a part of the company, but a dear collaborator that can be trusted with Nintendo IPs. I don't think Nintendo would want rated-M games being done in-house. They have a family friendly image to retain.

Wouldn't hoping for an entirely multiplatform future mean that every game has to be made for the 3DS (which I assume is the weakest viable system on the market right now) and then ported elsewhere?
You have to build from the Atari up!

In all seriousness, this last generation would have been even more bitter toward Nintendo if every game started on the Wii and was then ported to the PS360.

jett

D-Member
I'd only want Platinum to let itself be acquired by Nintendo as a last resort to survive.

...much like Bayonetta 2, eh. :p

Nintendo does not like purchasing studios

Platinum does not like working under a different corporate culture

Claiming that a buy-out is inevitable or even likely exemplifies a very child-like view of how this sort of thing works

cajunator

Banned
Platinum should not be bought out unless they are bleeding so much money that its a necessity. Currently they arent in this situation so there is no need. Nintendo doesnt just buy out companies to begin with. Its not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom