• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
If Bayonetta 2 does well I wonder if they'll port the original game over. Maybe as part of a double pack?

I really think they should do that, specially now that Bayonetta could potentially become a Nintendo exclusive I.P. A Bayonetta Special Edition should be out before Bayonetta 2.

Fugu

So, to respond to the notion that all games should be multiplatform, I would say that I very strongly disagree. Let me explain why.

Outside of smaller concerns like porting costs (porting costs increase overall cost, which generally decreases risk taking), the primary reason to desire exclusives is interface. As a simple example, imagine if all RTS were on all platforms, and were forced to simultaneously be playable using a KB/M and also a standard controller. Imagine The original Bayonetta requiring compatibility with both the standard gamepad but also KB/M and Wii mote. Imagine if Street Fighter needed to be tuned not just for the Arcade Stick, but also Wii Mote; or if MOBAs like DotA 2 had to be reasonably playable with the Dual Shock.

RTS are fundamentally changed when they are forced to be playable with a gamepad; I wouldn't say they are bad games, but certainly very different. And that is the real problem with this list; it forces homogenization of design. RTS games designed around the game pad are different than those designed around KB/M; fighters designed around Wii Mote play very differently than those designed around game pad, and so forth.

Forcing all these games and genres to be multiplatform on all platforms would force all games to have similar design because none can be tailor made to their specific controller. That is the primary problem with absolute multiplatform development.
I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure how true this is.

RTSes are practically unplayable on a gamepad, and even the games designed specifically to make it happen (Halo Wars) haven't gone well. In that regard, it seems more likely that this will result in consoles adapting a control scheme more befitting the genre, such as how the Wii has become mostly reliant on the classic/GC controller (and Madcatz's TvC stick) to support a fighting game community. Yes, GG:AC had motion controls, but nobody used them because they were ass backwards and all of the involved parties knew it. A similar example would be the release of UT3 on the PS3; the game is basically impossible to play properly with a gamepad, so the game shipped with KB/M support.

As it is, a lot of design effort is put towards homogenizing input and UI compatibility towards the gamepad (Call of Duty, Skyrim, Dragon Age; there are probably others) even when the gamepad is not the traditional or most effective control scheme, and the KB/M control scheme remains largely dominant on that platform. I don't see this as a major concern right now because the players of the game know how best to interface with them, and unless the developers start actively preventing people from using less efficient or more efficient but less popular control schemes (gamepads for FPSes, arcade sticks for fighting games) I don't see it as a sufficient enough concern to discourage mutliplatform releases.

Having said that, as control schemes continue to become more abstract, I can see this line of thinking becoming more relevant. I wouldn't say that many titles on the DS that I've played have yet reached the threshold (TWEWY comes to mind fist for me, and even that is being ported; Ouendan/EBA comes close, but that exists on the PC and it's still pretty fun) but the games on that platform in particular are getting closer as designers get more and more creative. But for home consoles -- where the option exists to change the input interface entirely on the fly -- I don't see this as a concern.

In terms of Bayonetta, unless they do something radical -- like making the game controlled entirely by the Wii Fit board (please don't do something radical to Bayonetta) -- I can't see how this concern is relevant to Bayonetta, except that if you asked me to pick a current generation console that has a default control scheme least adapted to playing Bayonetta (between the X360, Wii, PS3, and the PC), I would be pretty confident in saying the Wiimote/nanchuck.* In parlance with my argument, ever since this game was announced I've just been assuming that we'd all be playing it with the classic controller.

*For others it may be a tossup between the Wiimote and KB/M. But I think we can all agree that the standard gamepad did a pretty good job of controlling Bayonetta.

Theonik

in7xxJZqa7GeJ.png

lol
Edit:
No I want Kamiya to do Star Fox so I can play as Wolf who strips when he performs special attacks.
image.php

Carbonox

Let's shake things up and ask a question regarding Bayonetta 2 itself. I know, discussing the game, shock horror amirite?

What characters would everyone like to see return?

Obviously Bayonetta will be back. Jeanne and Rodin are absolute musts too. I'd love a bigger role for the latter. Don't care for Enzo or Luka though.

Fugu

If they ported it, I would likely buy it again. I don't own the 360 version so it would be nice to see this game running as it was intended to.

Let's shake things up and ask a question regarding Bayonetta 2 itself. I know, discussing the game, shock horror amirite?

Obviously Bayonetta will be back. Jeanne and Rodin are absolute musts too. I'd love a bigger role for the latter. Don't care for Enzo or Luka though.

We... don't know if it's Bayo or Jeanne, yet. I could totally see a prequel when the witchwars happened.

If they ported it, I would likely buy it again. I don't own the 360 version so it would be nice to see this game running as it was intended to.
I would buy it, too. I own the 360 version, but would like to see it run 1080p@60fps.

It's not like Bayonetta had a particularly large cast to begin with.

I'd be okay with Jeanne getting the boot if and only if they can produce rival fights of equal or better quality.

Rodin should stick around because I still owe his ass for that optional boss fight.

Fugu

I would not be opposed to relegating every character in Bayonetta 1 except for the titular vehicle to minor or even non-speaking roles.

I can't imagine Bayonetta 2 not starring Bayonetta.
Since it's on the Nintendo system, it will obviously be about little Bayonetta on her journey with her stuffed animal in a collectathon 3D platformer.

On topic, I hope to see Rodin come back, and I'm really excited about what new weapons we'll get to play with. Nothing in Bayonetta 1 really felt "right" to me in terms of weapon combinations. There was a lot of good stuff to play with, but nothing really clicked with me. I tend to like hard hitting, slow weapons. The flame claws didn't seem to be hitting hard enough, and my only other option were the Bazookas, which weren't bad, but weren't great either.

I would love to get a greatsword or battle axe this time.

JustinBB7

I haven't played the first game because I don't have a 360 or PS3, I might get a Wii U when it drops in price and has some games on it (don't like the titles they have right now) so I'd love to play the first game first. Hate playing a sequal without being able to play the first game.

Famassu

It's not like Bayonetta had a particularly large cast to begin with.

I'd be okay with Jeanne getting the boot if and only if they can produce rival fights of equal or better quality.

Rodin should stick around because I still owe his ass for that optional boss fight.
The teaser trailer showed Bayonetta fighting a person who, to me, looks like he/she could replace Jeanne as Bayonetta's rival, and as such he/she looks like a promising enemy with his/her two-bladed... weapon thingie.

demidar

Returning characters would be Bayonetta, Rodin, Enzo (has to be there for exposition, even though I don't like him) with Jeanne as a cameo or playable clone.

ksdixon

a shame. though they were apparently not big sellers p+'s game have been critical successes. in recent times this seems to have given sega positive pr for publishing them. now they won't have that anymore.

Aske

I hope the WiiU pad allows for a more dualshock-esque experience when holding down R1 and using the face buttons than the 360 pad does. Bayonetta was fine on the 360, but I almost always used the alternate inputs for R1 modified moves. Can't imagine playing a Devil May Cry game with the 360 pad because of this - it's the one great ergonomic flaw of the 360 pad's design. If I'm going to be playing a bunch of hardcore action games that require me to hold R1 while tapping face buttons on the WiiU, I hope it's comfortable to do so. I'm getting flashbacks to Metroid Prime on the Gamecube. No other game/controller has actually given me hand cramps, but squeezing R while tapping A in that game sure as hell did.

Characters in Bayonetta 2: I don't mind as long as there's more Jeanne. But I'm not that attached to any of the characters in the franchise, and I'd like that to change. I definitely felt more connected to Dante and Virgil after playing DMC 1/3, or even Nero in DMC4, than I did Bayonetta, Jeanne, Luca etc. Stronger character writing is all I really want from the story.

But as for gameplay, more distinctive weapons/fighting styles would be nice. That's one thing DMC still does better than Bayonetta. Bayonetta's combat is magnificent, but within that combat there could be more diversity between different weapons.

I'd also like Wicked Weaves to evolve, perhaps into something a little more like DMC1's Devil Trigger modified moves. There's definitely room to expand those attacks. And torture attacks were fun in the first game, but I could do without them next time. Perhaps leave them in, but remove the 'mash to finish' QTEs - just make them shorter so they don't break the flow of the combat so much. I didn't hate them the way they were, but I'd rather fill my meter, then hit the TA buttons and see Bayonetta lay down a short and sweet über-move, taking out a given enemy instantly and letting me move on immediately.

I'm sure we'll get these, but more animal forms! There's so much Platinum could do to expand the combat by playing around with that mechanic. It was brilliant in the last game, and could be so much better in the next one.

...So glad this franchise isn't dead.

Oersted

i still wonder how relevant internet outrage is? i know, the internet with the possibility of worldwide access makes it look somehow relevant, but i seriously doubt that

i still wonder how relevant internet outrage is? i know, the internet with the possibility of worldwide access makes it look somehow relevant, but i seriously doubt that

Relevant in what sense? People tend to like to have a good buzz around their game. Of course, this outrage isn't bad buzz in the same way that something ME3's ending was. For the size and popularity (and sales potential) that Bayonetta has, I'd say this move has drawn an incredible amount of attention to WiiU as a platform.

Forever

Banned
Relevant in what sense? People tend to like to have a good buzz around their game. Of course, this outrage isn't bad buzz in the same way that something ME3's ending was. For the size and popularity (and sales potential) that Bayonetta has, I'd say this move has drawn an incredible amount of attention to WiiU as a platform.

It probably delivers a good return on investment for Nintendo just in terms of prestige.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom