• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
AgentOtaku said:
To be fair, I don't think someone should have to finish an entire game and unlock harder difficulties for the combat to feel rewarding.

I think I'm done with this unfortunately.

'rewarding' is a relative term. If you feel 'rewarded' with your 5 skull continues and all stone medals, then feel free to keep 'enjoying' the game as such.

Tokubetsu

mjemirzian said:
'rewarding' is a relative term. If you feel 'rewarded' with your 5 skull continues and all stone medals, then feel free to keep 'enjoying' the game as such.

Haha firing shots. To be fair, if a friend of mine hadn't done it and there weren't achievements for it, I don't think I would be doing this on the harder difficulties. I want my epenis to be just as big as his =/

K' Dash

Chao said:
It depends, the medals are fine (golds mostly, silvers and platinums occasionally) but since I get killed from time to time trying to understand new enemies and levels, at the end of the stage I will get a stone trophy.

My story exactly, I'm loving the game tho :D

I finished it this afternoon and wow

I am still not settled on the accessories usage though; is there like a guide or something for accessories?

TimeLike

You mean there's something other than Stone Statues that you can get at the end of levels?? Wow I really suck at this. I just jump around and smash the buttons over and over until I win. It's pretty fun.

Korey

ZephyrFate said:
I highly doubt it. God of War has some steep competition now.
I agree. The main thing God of War had going for it was its accessibility. Bayonetta, in my opinion, is just as if not more accessible than God of War.

Rez said:
having Hard locked out from the beginning was a good decision. Normal very deliberately introduces new enemies and challenges throughout the game, whereas Hard is actually rebalanced rather than just throwing a damage multiplier at you, meaning you're fighting some challenging enemies right from the prologue.

Hard mode is just spamming stronger enemies at the player who are faster and deal more damage. No real change other than this.

Zeliard

palpabl_purpura said:
Hard mode is just spamming stronger enemies at the player who are faster and deal more damage. No real change other than this.

The enemies are much more aggressive in general on Hard, even the lowest mobs.

Tokubetsu

Zeliard said:
The enemies are much more aggressive in general on Hard, even the lowest mobs.

This. They tend to do their more damaging moves/combos more often as well. Those bird lizard things? Yeah, they do their bite lunge chew attack WAY more often.

Fimbulvetr said:
Originally Posted by cosmicblizzard:
Wow. I can't even beat the prologue on infinite climax mode. Is there some crazy accessory that will make this easier? This is seriously the only game I've had the motivation to do everything in since the generation started and I don't want to stop now.

The accessory that makes magic bombs instead of activating witch time..

Don't understand the whole infinite climax thing. Isn't witch time what supposedly makes bayonetta unique? To have a mode without it seems pointless, like WTF cares/why did you invent WT anyway just to take it away?

jabipun

TheCardPlayer said:
I could give you DMC3 even if I disagree...but DMC4? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol The biggest DMC fansite on the internet is on the verge of shutting down, due to the game's insane suckage. That's right, most hardcore DMC fans lost interest in the series after DMC4. Just ask Dahbomb. Man is the biggest DMC fan on the forum, and I'm pretty sure he could tell you the same thing.

And reusing levels. No. DMC4 had you play through the same levels with no differences, fighting the bosses in the same areas. Bayonetta has you play through different dimensions, in the same city. The city stays the same but the level layout goes batshit crazy. In Paradiso, the place is totally fractured and you have to play through broken, floating parts, reaching them on goddamn spinning light platforms.

Not the same thing at all.

It's interesting how posts like this could be taken seriously - yet, the deluge of laugh emoticons and saying "DMC4 is the insane suckage" (i.e, another demonstration of exaggerating the fuck out of things) - despite the fact that DMC4 is really - the second highest rated action game this generation by and large only after Bayonetta. And in fact, the PS3 version of DMC4 could very well be higher rated than the PS3 version of Bayonetta in due time.

Capcom made an effort to make DMC4 more appealing to the masses, and they achieved that. People I know who couldn't get past DMC3's (or ninja gaidens) first few missions due to it's high level of difficulty or can accept Bayonetta's wackiness have played and relatively enjoyed DMC4 front to end.

-Anyway, I'd put DMC3 above Bayonetta. Everything except level design in DMC3 is done better. Especially the Dante vs. Vergil VS. Bayo vs. Jeanne dyanmic. I still don't get what the fuck Jeanne was about in this game.

PS: I also see this happen a lot here on GAF with RE5. There is a very (what I thought) distinct line between judgement scaling.

A game that does not live up to expectations or it's predecessor does not ALL OF A SUDDEN MEAN, 'shitty as fuck or insane suckage."

Tokubetsu said:
This. They tend to do their more damaging moves/combos more often as well. Those bird lizard things? Yeah, they do their bite lunge chew attack WAY more often.

Hadn't noticed it. I'm halfway through the game on Hard now.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Now that I'm done with Darksiders, I decided to pick up Bayonetta. Loving it so far. The action is frenetic and extremely satisfying. And the cheesy music and awful art style are growing on me. Or, at least, fading into irrelevance before the rest of the game's pure awesomeness.

jabipun said:
It's interesting how posts like this could be taken seriously - yet, the deluge of laugh emoticons and saying "DMC4 is the insane suckage" (i.e, another demonstration of exaggerating the fuck out of things) - despite the fact that DMC4 is really - the second highest rated action game this generation by and large only after Bayonetta. And in fact, the PS3 version of DMC4 could very well be higher rated than the PS3 version of Bayonetta in due time.

Capcom made an effort to make DMC4 more appealing to the masses, and they achieved that. People I know who couldn't get past DMC3's (or ninja gaidens) first few missions due to it's high level of difficulty or can accept Bayonetta's wackiness have played and relatively enjoyed DMC4 front to end.

-Anyway, I'd put DMC3 above Bayonetta. Everything except level design in DMC3 is done better. Especially the Dante vs. Vergil VS. Bayo vs. Jeanne dyanmic. I still don't get what the fuck Jeanne was about in this game.

PS: I also see this happen a lot here on GAF with RE5. There is a very (what I thought) distinct line between judgement scaling.

A game that does not live up to expectations or it's predecessor does not ALL OF A SUDDEN MEAN, 'shitty as fuck or insane suckage."

You know, I've never played DMC or the new NG or any of the "new generation" action games, but something is just not right about these games. The developers these days spam these games with unecessary and cheesy ways to cheat the player. I'm sitting here trying to guide Jubileus into the sun on hard and dying over and over thanks to the less than responsive controls. I'm wondering to myself, what ever happened to the good old days, like in NES Ninja Gaiden where you had a life bar, the enemy had a life bar, and whoever the last man standing was won. Nowadays, these guys program these games like sore losers. They just don't want to admit defeat. It's like, "wait a minute! U haven't beaten me, because there's this pointless QTE you must perform after my lifebar has reached zero, and if you fail to guide bullet into my head, or some bullshit like that, then it's instant victory for me." Fuck that. In the old days you died in combat like a real man, and none of this bullshit. So in the end, I am saying I wasn't expecting to be cheated and scammed like I was in Bayonetta. You're supposed to die in combat, that's just the way is supposed to be.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
playing Darksiders has really made me appreciate just how pretty this game actually is. it's easy to take for granted after a few hours of play, but man, there's some really nice work done considering the game (seems to) rarely drop below 60.

the little things like the way the character feels as it moves around the environment are just so damn superb.

palpabl_purpura said:
each verse is still specifically designed with a certain goal in mind. it isn't as if they were like 'okay we'll drop and grace and glory or three here, okay fuck it, dump a fearless and a handful of joy over there'. it isn't bullshit enemy 'spamming', everything is very manageable assuming you've had experience dealing with all these enemies in the lead up to it that is Normal mode. it felt to me like a continuous difficulty curve continuing from where chapter 15 of Normal left off.

but yeah, the scenarios are the same.

Rez said:
playing Darksiders has really made me appreciate just how pretty this game actually is. it's easy to take for granted after a few hours of play, but man, there's some really nice work done considering the game (seems to) rarely drop below 60.

the little things like the way the character feels as it moves around the environment are just so damn superb.

each verse is still specifically designed with a certain goal in mind. it isn't as if they were like 'okay we'll drop and grace and glory or three here, okay fuck it, dump a fearless and a handful of joy over there'. it isn't bullshit enemy 'spamming', everything is very manageable assuming you've had experience dealing with all these enemies in the lead up to it that is Normal mode. it felt to me like a continuous difficulty curve continuing from where chapter 15 of Normal left off.

but yeah, the scenarios are the same.

Are you kidding me? There's more spam in this game than all of hawaii.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
It's not like any of the enemies do random things. They all have clearly defined attack animations and the game expects you to react accordingly.

I went back to Ninja Gaiden 2 and holy shit I hate it.

Half the time I can't do anything fun cause there's like six guys up my ass throwing arrows/exploding shuriken/missiles/fireballs so all the time I have to spam the safest moves and generally have little to no fun. Right now with the Scythe it's jump X, Y, Obliteration...repeat times however many enemies are in the area(dozens? hundreds?) It's a frustrating snoozefest and I haven't even worked past Warrior.

Then I get to the bosses and the damage scaling is so retarded that it doesn't matter if I have the default lifebar or an ultra long one from a second playthrough, I end up dying in three or so hits anyway.

As much shit as I give Bayonetta for the vehicle stages at least she isn't swimming. Every portion of NG2 that includes water is a bad idea.

Maybe NGS2 will be better...ah no it won't. It'll be the same shit only with a more balanced difficulty setting. I'll still be spamming safe moves because they kill the most effectively and using ultimate techs out the ass.

Still can't get into DMC1 again. I'm not going to use the word unplayable. Actually fuck it might as well go all out. DMC1 just isn't fun anymore. The camera tends to eat shitdicks, instead of a simple dodge command I have to hold the trigger, pull back or to the left or right, and then maybe I'll dodge something. Yeah Bayonetta's system is probably too easy but hey who fucking cares? Give me a system that keeps me playing the game by the moment and not having to act five steps ahead of the enemy. I don't play 2D shooters where I have to drop everything to dodge a single bullet.

MrDaravon

Up to Chapter 12, overall really loving the game despite some minor issues.

The only thing that is still really fucking me are those damn enemies that you usually fight in pairs that use the big claws; any level that doesn't have them I can usually get at least a Silver or Gold on, any level they're in I get a Stone straight-up. I just cannot get a feel for dodging their attacks at all :(.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I went back to Ninja Gaiden 2 and holy shit I hate it.

Half the time I can't do anything fun cause there's like six guys up my ass throwing arrows/exploding shuriken/missiles/fireballs so all the time I have to spam the safest moves and generally have little to no fun. Right now with the Scythe it's jump X, Y, Obliteration...repeat times however many enemies are in the area(dozens? hundreds?) It's a frustrating snoozefest and I haven't even worked past Warrior.

Then I get to the bosses and the damage scaling is so retarded that it doesn't matter if I have the default lifebar or an ultra long one from a second playthrough, I end up dying in three or so hits anyway.

As much shit as I give Bayonetta for the vehicle stages at least she isn't swimming. Every portion of NG2 that includes water is a bad idea.

Maybe NGS2 will be better...ah no it won't. It'll be the same shit only with a more balanced difficulty setting. I'll still be spamming safe moves because they kill the most effectively and using ultimate techs out the ass.
Yeah I went back to Black after I had to return Bayonetta to the video store and oh god it has aged poorly. Bosses that take 3/4 your lifebar + shitty camera = NOT FUN. It just made me appreciate Bayonetta that much more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SailorDaravon said:
Up to Chapter 12, overall really loving the game despite some minor issues.

The only thing that is still really fucking me are those damn enemies that you usually fight in pairs that use the big claws; any level that doesn't have them I can usually get at least a Silver or Gold on, any level they're in I get a Stone straight-up. I just cannot get a feel for dodging their attacks at all :(.
when I first played the game I got so many Stone awards. don't let them phase you too much, it won't affect any unlockables or anything (other than the one you get for platinuming every chapter, which isn't one that people are realistically going to get on their first playthrough anyway). just go with it. :)

Greg

Can you skip the cutscenes? Going to give this a rental, but the demo disgusted me in terms of story, characters, etc. - I just want to enjoy the combat system.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Greg said:
Can you skip the cutscenes? Going to give this a rental, but the demo disgusted me in terms of story, characters, etc. - I just want to enjoy the combat system.
Right Trigger + Back. Learn it. Love it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Finished on Normal, playing on Hard. Gameplay is nice, but the camera can be complete arse and sometimes the screen is just filled with shit and you can lose yourself in it all (yes, I understand there are audio cues, but they can also get lost in the shuffle while playing in 5.1). I won't get into the story because that's no point. the presentation is uneven and even for a tongue in cheek take on its own genre, it's pretty dull. I won't hold that against it though, but I will tell people to skip the cutscenes, even on their first playthrough. The characters are what they are and you either like them or you don't.

Someone earlier in the thread compared this to the way Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann ramped up. It just got bigger and bigger and while that is true and can be cool, it also suffers the same problem Gurren Lagann suffered from: You become desensitized to it and the effect is muted and lost.

Anyways, I dig the gameplay, but I have my issues with some things and I guess may be burnt out on this style (perhaps because of the absurdity?) but I didn't have as much fun as everyone else seemed to. Kind of a shame. =/ Perhaps I'll revisit it later in the year and pick it up for $20 or something.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mejilan said:
Is it just me, are is there significant screen tearing with this game? 360 version.
yeah, during some areas when combat isn't taking place (Chapter 2 is the worse offender). when combat kicks in, some effects are turned off and everything generally runs smoothly. I wish it was always in that mode.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
jabipun said:

Yeah, because reviews actually represent a game's quality. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol If you like DMC4, then more power to you, but no, it wasn't an especially good game. Making the game appeal to the masses, isn't what fucked it up. The poor design decisions, through and through sank that shit.

And what the hell does Especially the Dante vs. Vergil VS. Bayo vs. Jeanne dyanmic. I still don't get what the fuck Jeanne was about in this game have to do anything. LAWL SONIK SUX, HIS RELATION WITH THE TALES ISN'T AS TEH GOOD AS MARIO AND LIUGI!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, according to your profound logic, Bayonetta is better than DMC3 since it has a higher Metacritic and Gamerankings score then all of DMC3's versions.

Greg said:
also you can press start and toggle the 2nd option where you see the Play/Pause icon to >> and it will skip

LiK

Greg said:

why deny yourself some wacked out moments? at least watch them once. :D

Minamu

GAH! >_< What am I missing? I'm trying to get the resting places achievement but I must be missing something or it's broken :( I've opened every chest to the best of my knowledge (used youtube), found every broken heart,I have 2 big orbs & 8 small ones so I assume I have found all moon pearls as well? All Alfheims are done on Normal. I have all weapons though I haven't tried Odette yet. What's going on? :'(

I had massive problems with grace & glory (blue & red) when I first started out but they are just as pathetic as Dears nowadays :lol Sure, I'm on Normal still but either way, they are actually funny now...

Edit: Never mind, gamefaqs helped me find a chest that youtube forgot. Achievement unlocked.

Daigoro

aw shit, here comes the backlash brigade!

i am 2/3 of the way through Hard now, and i have to say this game is 10x more amazing that i thought it was on my first playthrough. i am thoroughly enjoying myself.

this game is now in the process of teaching me how to be a fucking badass and i am learning and loving it.

at first Hard seemed like it was just going to be a pain in the ass (think NG2 on anything other than Normal), but now i am absolutely flying through most battles with some minor hang ups here and there. im getting golds and plats pretty regularly (in between a good handful of deaths each chapter due to my ineptitude).

learning how to use the Moon is absolutely brilliant. parrying strikes and getting actually good at combat is so satisfying. i really feel like im learning something and once you start to feel like what it is to flow in this game it really clicks.

i really really like this game very much.

i know it sucks slogging through Normal, not really feeling it and just mashing your way to success. but it really is worth it to stick with it and get over the hump. for me it has been rewarding and very fun.

"What are ya buyin'? Heh heh heh. Heard that in a game once."

MrDaravon

Rez said:
when I first played the game I got so many Stone awards. don't let them phase you too much, it won't affect any unlockables or anything (other than the one you get for platinuming every chapter, which isn't one that people are realistically going to get on their first playthrough anyway). just go with it. :)

Yeah, I'm not letting it bug me too much, it's just kinda crazy how my level rankings are all over the fucking place.

Daigoro said:
aw shit, here comes the backlash brigade!

i am 2/3 of the way through Hard now, and i have to say this game is 10x more amazing that i thought it was on my first playthrough. i am thoroughly enjoying myself.

this game is now in the process of teaching me how to be a fucking badass and i am learning and loving it.

at first Hard seemed like it was just going to be a pain in the ass (think NG2 on anything other than Normal), but now i am absolutely flying through most battles with some minor hang ups here and there. im getting golds and plats pretty regularly (in between a good handful of deaths each chapter due to my ineptitude).

learning how to use the Moon is absolutely brilliant. parrying strikes and getting actually good at combat is so satisfying. i really feel like im learning something and once you start to feel like what it is to flow in this game it really clicks.

i really really like this game very much.

i know it sucks slogging through Normal, not really feeling it and just mashing your way to success. but it really is worth it to stick with it and get over the hump. for me it has been rewarding and very fun.

"What are ya buyin'? Heh heh heh. Heard that in a game once."

This was my exact experience. The game is so damn good once you play hard or climax. You really feel like you've learned the system and you never like you failed because the game was unfair

Minamu

SailorDaravon said:
Yeah, I'm not letting it bug me too much, it's just kinda crazy how my level rankings are all over the fucking place.
Well, the game is pretty rough with the scoring. If you die once, you're finished. But on the other hand, it seems pretty relaxed regarding getting platinums if you have a ton of gold verses. Strange. I think I ended up with 12 stone statues my first way through. Some chapters are obviously harder than others & I did the latter half of the game around 2am to 6am whenever I sat down with it.

The button arrangements (on the 360) cannot be re-arranged yes?

For me it sucks. Because the lock-on button is on the RB and the evade is on RT (or is it the other way around? Sorry, I'm new to 360), making it very awkward for me to use lock on and evade at the same time since I also need my right fingers to execute combos and such. This makes me oftentimes disregard the lock-on features completely (which sucks if you want to target a specific enemy in a group, or one amongst the two). The camera is also sometimes do wonders for me getting a game over.

What ANNOYS me to no end, however, is the amount of hazardous environments. Like wind, lava, spikes, whatever. I HATED these sections, since it pretty much means that I am damaged (and sometimes killed) not due the combat, but due traps/environments/whatever. Which sucks since this game is supposedly an Action Game.

QTEs are also baaaaaadddddddd.... Especially the instant kill ones... Hated them.

But all in all, I suppose this game is a solid experience, although personally I think a lot of people overrate it a tad much.

I'll finish this at normal, at the very least.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if anything this game has had the reverse-backlash effect.

I get the feeling it is going to be remembered fondly, because it surprised a lot of people.

Rez said:

I get the feeling it is going to be remembered fondly, because it surprised a lot of people.

Certainly surprised the hell out of me. When it was first announced, I literally sighed and thought about what an awful game it was going to be. Glad to be proved wrong!

Just finished my first play-through (on normal). Wow.

I don't normally like to rank games, even the games that rank me:D ,
but I will say that Bayonetta joins the list of games I had the MOST FUN playing this gen
so far.

Bayonetta joins Uncharted 2, Lost Planet (SP & MP), MotorStorm: PR, Halo 3 (multi), Demon's Souls, Trials HD, Flower, CrackDown and Super Mario Galaxy and WipeOut HD on my "Holy Shit, this is FUN" list.

Now off to learn how to master this bitch. Hard, here I come! :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ConcealedBlaze said:
Certainly surprised the hell out of me. When it was first announced, I literally sighed and thought about what an awful game it was going to be. Glad to be proved wrong!
it was EXTREMELY skeptical when I first heard of it and saw the first crotch-shot-heavy-trailer and the following screens.

It was when I saw the footage of the Chapter 1 boss throwing the bridge side-to-side with the player still on it and attacking, followed by his breaking through the floor afterwards that I really started taking notice. That vid really gave me a feeling that Capcom's last-gen AAA titles gave me.

When the E308 trailer was released, I was totally and utterly sold. :lol

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Rez said:

I had high expectations when I got the game and it met them. No backlash from me!

NG28

As others have said, the game really shines on hard and infinite climax. During my normal play though, I knew I was just mashing buttons, but I kept on doing it anyways because I could. Hard makes you actually think about what your doing and play smart instead of just button mashing. I couldn't dodge offset at all my normal run, and after beating hard I can do it without even thinking about it.

mikeGFG

Banned
I can for sure say this is my game of the generation.

Its really hard to remember the last game that has engrossed me like Bayonetta has.

Monocle said:
1. The QTEs are absurdly easy to remember after you've experienced them a few times. They hardly constitute a reason why DMC3 and (snicker) 4 are better games than Bayonetta.

2. Jeanne supplies ample small and personal fights boss fights, and then there's
Balder as the penultimate boss and Rodin as an unlockable opponent
. Not to mention the Joys that appear at regular intervals from Chapter 6 onward. They're almost minibosses in their own right. The large bosses are evenly spaced between regular missions and aren't especially frequent. I find those encounters totally exhilarating. It's a shame you dismiss them as attempts to outdo God of War (I mean, they clearly succeed in that capacity, but it's a mistake to suggest that that's their only merit). Bayonetta's ubiquitous balance and variety doesn't diminish as its enemies' scale increases. How many other action games can make the same claim?

3. The camera is perfect most of the time, and easy enough to move when you need to if you increase its speed in the options menu. Thank goodness Kamiya abandoned the fixed camera angles of the DMC series.

4. On the rare occasions Bayonetta reuses areas, they appear in drastically different contexts (the lava and Paradiso levels, for example). Contrast this with DMC3's heavy backtracking, and DMC4's even more egregious reuse of a great many environments in Dante's missions.

I misspoke earlier. Many of your points aren't fair—they're nitpicks that the game itself would answer, if you'd only pay closer attention.

Those aren't "inaccuracies," they're just my personal feelings on the game.

1. Thanks for proving my point. Having to experience a QTE before you can have it down pat is bullshit.

2. I didn't like them. What is the use of arguing that?

3. Perfect my ass. I did increase the camera speed and that only reduces the amount of time I need to keep my thumb on the stick. I doesn't fix the camera.

4. Yeah, I only mentioned the re-use of areas as a commentary on the lack of variety in the levels, not a lack of variety in the gameplay. They still re-use areas and that's a fact. How you can call this inaccurate is beyond me.

Top Bottom