• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Class_A_Ninja said:
How do I tell if I upgraded my life bar to the max? I keep buying the hearts from Rodin, and he gladly keeps selling them to me. I can't tell if the bar is getting bigger anymore, just that my health is replenished a bit.
The max bar, with all the hearts from Rodin and all the hidden ones, is two full life bars long.

goldenpp72

abq said:
Take your time and enjoy the game. Then work on your time. After that, platinums.

When you replay a chapter, at the end you get to choose whether you want to update your time and score or not. Under 3 hours isn't as hard as it might sound. I only had to run through a couple of chapters to bring my playtime under 3 hours.

I already beat the game, im just trying to be efficient with my second and third plays :)

DihcarEM

Wow, the description of Bangle of Time is amazing, belonged to a powerful witch named Eva that partnered up with a legendary dark knight.
Future Bayonetta/Dmc crossover confirmed!:D
Fuck Capcom, give DMC back to Kamiya.

I don't understand the minigame... I always get like 27 points or whatever, and that isn't even enough to buy the cheapest item. Sometimes I find a bullet or two in a level, and then I can finally get enough points to get a green lollipop. Is there something I'm missing?

Alx

I managed to get enough points to buy a red "respawn" item once... (more than 70 points I think). But you have to aim carefully, target the 10 points "boss" or try to kill angels in one shot to the head (5 points).

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I don't understand the minigame... I always get like 27 points or whatever, and that isn't even enough to buy the cheapest item. Sometimes I find a bullet or two in a level, and then I can finally get enough points to get a green lollipop. Is there something I'm missing?
- Angels die in one shot if you shoot them in the head.
- Killing two angels in a row will net you 15 points total.
- Shooting the kingface that flies by with the "woowoowoo" sound nets you ten points.

Basically you're trying to get double-headshots on angels and shoot kings when they pass by. If the kings are too far back, I suggest ignoring them.

I average about 100 points on non-boss chapters this way. Or I did before I started skipping these things.

the game isn't important, but with practice you can get 150 more more points, even though its for pointless items or a small amount of halos

headshots on the flying angels, then get the secret 10 point guy. every bullet you find in a level gives you 3 more shots

i love how people are complaining about the amount of content when they are still on normal the first time through.

ugh, it's despicable.

Aske

rocK` said:
The story was great, but I don't think I got the full understanding of what's going on and why the angels are considered 'bad'

They're trying to fuck up the universe.
They also tore Luka's innocent scuba-dad to pieces.

But it's not really about good and bad - it's about balance. In Bayonetta, Inferno and Paradiso are just forces pushing against each other with humans in the middle. Neither side has altruistic intentions.

Shito

Dunno is this was posted yet, but I can confirm the lollipop easter egg: during the cutscene at the beginning of the chapter VII, I held the B (red) button pressed, because I remembered having seen Bayonetta lick a red lollipop in this one. After she did, I skipped the cutscene, and I started the fight with the effects of a red lollipop.
It did not count as an used item in the final ranking.

Hellion

akachan ningen said:
I just finished the game. It was amazing overall, naturally. But I don't think it's as good as DMC3 or, to a lesser extent, DMC4 and here's 10 reasons why.

1. The combos don't change that much, depending which weapons you have equipped. What I liked about getting new weapons in DMC3 was that they were all radically different and changed the way you played the game. In Bayonetta, the only ones that really change your moves are the whip and the sword. I didn't like the whip much though.
  2. QTE bullshit. DMC4 had a little of this and DMC3 had none. What's worse is that most of them are "hit the QTE or die instantly" which is mental.
  3. Most of the bosses were big set pieces designed to compete with GOW in the battle of epicness. They are great to look at, but at the end of the day I wanted smaller, more personal fights.
  4. The Bike scene, missile scene. needs no explanation.
  5. The camera was fucking nutty, especially in small areas, like the scene where you fight jeanne on a missile. It took way to much effort away from the buttons to move the camera.
  6. Loading the gates of hell shop level every time was pointless. It should have just been a menu.
  7. The story was terrible. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare but it didn't capture my interest on any level. DMC4 was actually around the same level but DMC3 was better. And having to read books to find out more about the story was lame. Not that it interested me enough to find out about it but reading has no place in a crazy action game like this.
  8. Alfheim portals. A lot of them require BACKTRACKING to find. They couldn't just hide them all in clever places? DMC3/4 hide them in great places.
  9. Re-using areas from earlier levels. Another complaint from DMC4 makes an appearance in this game. It gave me a bad feeling of deja vu, which was supposed to be a joke in the game?
  10. Half the cutscenes are done in this "still image" style, even though they are using the actual character models. Why didn't they just animate them all? Maybe it was a style choice, maybe they wanted to save money. Either way, I didn't like it.

The boss fights with jeanne were probably the best part but I don't think they were even as good as the DMC3 fights with Vergil or the fight in DMC4 with this guy:

I agree with everything. Still it's great to a new title in the genre.

Also the QTE window is unforgiving at every encounter and resulted in many deaths killing my rank.

got around and finished infinite climax mode, was fun, but a bit too easy. been playing this game since early november, so i certainly took my time, short bursts of fun all the way! now to finish the last few of alfheim portals and then i'm gonna take a break i think.

bayonetta and ninja gaiden sigma 2 = best action games in existence. i'll be playing both until something better comes around, but i'm not counting on it anytime soon.

Zeliard

So last night I was playing Bayonetta and I was up against Sapienta (freakin' awesome boss fight that one), and all of sudden my screen froze and I looked at my 360, and saw the unmistakable and dreaded RROD. Three rings, not four or anything.

I looked at my wireless adapter and it was red, so I removed it and restarted the 360, and lo and behold, it booted up fine with that refreshingly-handsome green indicator. I was even able to continue that chapter from the checkpoint and finish it, with no issue. The last time I got the RROD, I restarted my 360 only for it to show a RROD again immediately while booting up. I've also replugged my wireless adapter in and everything seems to be okay now. I'm playing right now and it seems to be going alright.

Has this happened to anyone? Is my 360 essentially on the verge of dying at any second, or was it just some temporary hardware malfunction?

HYDE

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
got around and finished infinite climax mode, was fun, but a bit too easy. been playing this game since early november, so i certainly took my time, short bursts of fun all the way! now to finish the last few of alfheim portals and then i'm gonna take a break i think.

bayonetta and ninja gaiden sigma 2 = best action games in existence. i'll be playing both until something better comes around, but i'm not counting on it anytime soon.

I think you'll be retracting this statement come March, unless awesome=sucks for you.
The God of War hears your blasphemy!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
Has this happened to anyone? Is my 360 essentially on the verge of dying at any second, or was it just some temporary hardware malfunction?

It may be unrelated, but I've got the 3 Red Lights when certain cables become unplugged while the 360 is turned on. I turned it on once without realizing that the AV wire wasn't connected to the Xbox, the red lights flashed and scurred the shit out of me. Hopefully yours still has a full life ahead of it.

Zeliard

ShockingAlberto said:
The max bar, with all the hearts from Rodin and all the hidden ones, is two full life bars long.

And he definitely only sells you a limited amount. If you don't find the heart pieces you can never get the 2 full bars, or really even close. I think the most Rodin will sell you is enough to fill one full bar.

I personally neglected to upgrade my magic at all until late in the game, since I underestimated just how useful the ability to store more magic would really be (especially if you're trying to do more torture attacks).

Snuggler said:
It may be unrelated, but I've got the 3 Red Lights when certain cables become unplugged while the 360 is turned on. I turned it once without realizing that the AV wire wasn't connected to the Xbox, the red lights flashed and scurred the shit out of me. Hopefully yours still has a full life ahead of it.

That's what was weird to me - I was literally just playing, leaning back in my bed, and the screen just froze with the 360 signaling an RROD. There doesn't seem to be a way anything could have gotten unplugged. The only thing I did when restarting my 360 is remove the wireless adapter, but it couldn't have possibly moved out of position. I'm hoping it was only some weird temporary trivial thing since I've only had this particular 360 for 2 months.

HYDE said:
I think you'll be retracting this statement come March, unless awesome=sucks for you.

God of War is very different. The game will be much more about story telling and flash than combat. It's the staple of GoW series. The GoW3 demo confirms it further.

Nothing this gen will touch Bayonetta for combat and style. I even enjoy the boss battles in Baynetta more becuase I'm doing more fighitng than QTE's ing. For people complaining about QTE's in this, I wonder how they feel about the GoW series? I find the QTE's there to be simply too much. Not to mentions it' often long sequences which is irritating.

I'll rent GoW3 for a playthrough because one playthrough is all I need to soak in the presentation. I bought and will keep Bayonetta because I'll keep coming back for the gameplay.

HYDE said:

You're in the wrong topic. What exactly is the point of dropping into the official topic of another game just to start such a dumbass debate? Not everyone shares your tastes.

Beat the game on hard. When I first started Hard, I couldn't do the Prolouge so I skipped it and beat the rest of the chapters. I then went back for the prolouge and what was overwhelming became quite do able. It's impressive how the game makes you learn along the way. I'd say hard is the way to play this game. The combat really comes into it's own and you have to learn more than the just the basics. By the end of hard, you really feel like you have a good grasp on the gameplay.

I'm quite looking forward to climax. I make sure to work on dodge offset throughout hard. By no means I'm good at it but I'm developing the muscle memory for it more and more. Looking foward to beating it on Infinite and other runs on normal for time and alheim portals. I had to admit it but the Killgore combo is addicting to use :lol Not for farming but to get rid of glorious and gracious. Assholes. Fighting Jeanne and Pops is awesome.

Ultimo hombre said:
God of War is very different. The game will be much more about story telling and flash than combat.

that's why the God of war series never interested me, I don't replay games for story. Bayonetta is something that will keep me playing for a long time.

Darkman M

Yeah no sense of even comparing Gow to this is quite silly to say the least. God O f War III will be a beast but it is more of a story oriented action/adv then a straight up action game like Dmc or Bayonetta. T o people bringing Dmc4 in here gtfo that game was filler at best.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
akachan ningen said:
I just finished the game. It was amazing overall, naturally. But I don't think it's as good as DMC3 or, to a lesser extent, DMC4 and here's 10 reasons why.

[*]Re-using areas from earlier levels. Another complaint from DMC4 makes an appearance in this game. It gave me a bad feeling of deja vu, which was supposed to be a joke in the game?

I could give you DMC3 even if I disagree...but DMC4? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol The biggest DMC fansite on the internet is on the verge of shutting down, due to the game's insane suckage. That's right, most hardcore DMC fans lost interest in the series after DMC4. Just ask Dahbomb. Man is the biggest DMC fan on the forum, and I'm pretty sure he could tell you the same thing.

And reusing levels. No. DMC4 had you play through the same levels with no differences, fighting the bosses in the same areas. Bayonetta has you play through different dimensions, in the same city. The city stays the same but the level layout goes batshit crazy. In Paradiso, the place is totally fractured and you have to play through broken, floating parts, reaching them on goddamn spinning light platforms.

Not the same thing at all.

Tokubetsu

TheCardPlayer said:
I could give you DMC3 even if I disagree...but DMC4? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol The biggest DMC fansite on the internet is on the verge of shutting down, due to the game's insane suckage. That's right, most hardcore DMC fans lost interest in the series after DMC4. Just ask Dahbomb. Man is the biggest DMC fan on the forum, and I'm pretty sure he could tell you the same thing.

And reusing levels. No. DMC4 had you play through the same levels with no differences, fighting the bosses in the same areas. Bayonetta has you play through different dimensions, in the same city. The city stays the same but the level layout goes batshit crazy. In Paradiso, the place is totally fractured and you have to play through broken, floating parts, reaching them on goddamn spinning light platforms.

Even the boss rush at the end of DMC4 was handled poorly. "Ugh great! Didn't I kick your asses like 3 different times already?" I like that Bayonetta's is actually part of the stage and the fight themselves are slightly different.

Giolon

Ok guys, I blew 500K on Eternal Testimony (the item that regens up to 2 blips of magic) and it seems worthless to me. WTF am I going to do with only 2 blips of magic? You can't even do a <-->Y/B insta-weave with that little. If using the Eternal Bracelet, that's not enough Witch Time to spit at.

So what gives? Is there some awesome use for this thing that I'm missing?

Chao

I'm not having the amount of fun I though I would have.
The game is good, but everything looks the same. The levels are different, yet feel very similar. I don't know if is the color palette or what, but it's like I'm on the same place all the time, which makes it boring.

The story is pointless, good vs evil bullshit and mystic sages crap all over again. The characters are really boring too. Bayonetta and the dude from the shop are cool, but that's it.

The combo system... I don't find it very rewarding. In DMC I worked hard to get those SSS combos and felt kind of badass afterwards, but in Bayonetta I feel like I'm just mashing buttons at times, even using combo interruptus and doing all kinds of shit.

I don't know, maybe I need more time with the game.

ShockingAlberto said:

Oh my. I just realized a second bar appeared and that is why the first bar wasn't getting any longer. It can go unnoticed if you never have max health.

XenoRaven

Chao said:
How far are you? If you're in like the first two or three levels I'll say you should give it more time. For people who picked up the game or played the demo without any expectations were mostly impressed I think. I know I was. But if I saw people saying "OMG OMG GOTY IT'S SO GREAT" I might have to get a few chapters in before I saw it. Also, if you're mashing buttons then you may need to suffer through the first playthrough to unlock the harder difficulties in order to really enjoy it. Whether or not you're patient enough to do that is up to you.

TheCardPlayer said:

Which site?

Chao said:
I'm not having the amount of fun I though I would have.
The game is good, but everything looks the same. The levels are different, yet feel very similar. I don't know if is the color palette or what, but it's like I'm on the same place all the time, which makes it boring.

The story is pointless, good vs evil bullshit and mystic sages crap all over again. The characters are really boring too. Bayonetta and the dude from the shop are cool, but that's it.

The combo system... I don't find it very rewarding. In DMC I worked hard to get those SSS combos and felt kind of badass afterwards, but in Bayonetta I feel like I'm just mashing buttons at times, even using combo interruptus and doing all kinds of shit.

The game is in fact the antithesis of good vs. evil. You're playing as the "evil" and instead of one being right or wrong, it's simply about the balance maintained between light and dark.

And the combat system really only shines in hard or climax. It's a pretty shitty decision not to have those open from the beginning.

dkeane

So I'm playing the PS3 version and the loading in this game is really killing the flow and pacing of it. Is this just a PS3 problem?

It loads everywhere - hit start to pause... Loading - hit select to change weapons and it takes 1-2 seconds to load each tab. The loading each time I die is also incredibly annoying.

Is there an option to install it on the HD that will alleviate these problems?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
ConcealedBlaze said:
Which site?

Devils Lair. Had a huge forum and tons of updates, and shortly after DMC4 came out, site pretty much died. Guy updated once, I think, just to bash DMC4 some more. :lol

TreIII

Giolon said:
Ok guys, I blew 500K on Eternal Testimony (the item that regens up to 2 blips of magic) and it seems worthless to me. WTF am I going to do with only 2 blips of magic? You can't even do a <-->Y/B insta-weave with that little. If using the Eternal Bracelet, that's not enough Witch Time to spit at.

Think of it like this.

Eternal Testimony is a great thing to have, if you're seriously going to be rocking the Bangle of Time, the Doppleganger summon or even just the Butterflys.

Two stocks of magic basically gives you, by default, at least 2 seconds of Witch Time/Doppleganger/Butterflies that you are guaranteed to have in any situation. That can save your life on Hard/Infinity Climax. Don't knock it! :lol

The other thing to think about, is if you're already playing with a weapon that will give you a lot of Magic Refill per hit (either the Handguns or Scar Fair do this quite nicely).

E.T. gives you a nice buffer, so that instead of always starting from scratch, you get at least two stocks to start work with. A few hits from either of the weapons listed above, and you'll soon be able to do some more interesting stuff with your magic meter.

If you don't need, you don't need it. But I like to incorporate it into most of my game plans now, especially now that I'm rocking Jeanne usually now-a-days, and soon will be brave enough to try and move up to working with Little Zero permanently. :lol

Aske

Giolon said:

Missiles on chapter 14. But aside from that, it just means you can hit a torture attack or insta-weave with less time spent building magic. Two orbs make a big difference in terms of time. Fill ten orbs while wearing the ET, and you're getting 100% of the magic you normally would for 80% of the work.

Tokubetsu

Class_A_Ninja said:
Oh my. I just realized a second bar appeared and that is why the first bar wasn't getting any longer. It can go unnoticed if you never have max health.

I know the feeling :lol Playing on hard, I've just come to accept that my health bar will always been half full/less. I always seem more reckless with full health anyway.

Chao

XenoRaven said:
How far are you? If you're in like the first two or three levels I'll say you should give it more time. For people who picked up the game or played the demo without any expectations were mostly impressed I think. I know I was. But if I saw people saying "OMG OMG GOTY IT'S SO GREAT" I might have to get a few chapters in before I saw it. Also, if you're mashing buttons then you may need to suffer through the first playthrough to unlock the harder difficulties in order to really enjoy it. Whether or not you're patient enough to do that is up to you.

I'm right now at
bayonetta surfing against a boss at the sea
, so I think I still have a few chapters to go. Maybe on harder difficulties the game feels more strategic.

ConcealedBlaze said:
The game is in fact the antithesis of good vs. evil. You're playing as the "evil" and instead of one being right or wrong, it's simply about the balance maintained between light and dark.

And the combat system really only shines in hard or climax. It's a pretty shitty decision not to have those open from the beginning.

Yeah I know it's the opposite, but it's still the light vs dark theme I'm so tired of. When these stories start telling myths about the sages, the holy lights of yadda yadda and the evil forces of whatever I just disconnect my brains. I'd rather have more silly stunts and crotch shots, I have fun and laugh with those.

ultim8p00

Banned
HYDE said:

God of war 3 is not an action game. It's a pretty game of actions and cool dudebro stuff.

Wow. I can't even beat the prologue on infinite climax mode. Is there some crazy accessory that will make this easier? This is seriously the only game I've had the motivation to do everything in since the generation started and I don't want to stop now.

XenoRaven

Chao said:
I'm right now at
bayonetta surfing against a boss at the sea
, so I think I still have a few chapters to go. Maybe on harder difficulties the game feels more strategic.
Hmm...if you're not impressed by now, there probably isn't much that will really blow you away on Normal. Maybe on Hard. On Hard you have to know more of the combos and be able to dodge offset and stuff. What kind of medals do you normally get?

cosmicblizzard said:
Wow. I can't even beat the prologue on infinite climax mode. Is there some crazy accessory that will make this easier? This is seriously the only game I've had the motivation to do everything in since the generation started and I don't want to stop now.

The accessory that makes magic bombs instead of activating witch time.

Chao

XenoRaven said:
Hmm...if you're not impressed by now, there probably isn't much that will really blow you away on Normal. Maybe on Hard. On Hard you have to know more of the combos and be able to dodge offset and stuff. What kind of medals do you normally get?

It depends, the medals are fine (golds mostly, silvers and platinums occasionally) but since I get killed from time to time trying to understand new enemies and levels, at the end of the stage I will get a stone trophy.

HYDE said:

i don't think so. while i do enjoy GoW games a whole lot, it's just a different genre and i wouldn't compare them to my aforementioned games.

XenoRaven said:

To be fair, I don't think someone should have to finish an entire game and unlock harder difficulties for the combat to feel rewarding.

I think I'm done with this unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
having Hard locked out from the beginning was a good decision. Normal very deliberately introduces new enemies and challenges throughout the game, whereas Hard is actually rebalanced rather than just throwing a damage multiplier at you, meaning you're fighting some challenging enemies right from the prologue.

Top Bottom