• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

StuBurns

Banned
Monocle said:
For what little it's worth, I watched a ton of PS3 Bayonetta footage recently and couldn't tell the difference between it and the 360 version I've been playing since the 5th. In fact, most of the best players I've seen on YouTube play the PS3 version (probably because the PS3 is more popular than the 360 in Japan).

I think you'd have to be a complete fool to pass up on an experience like Bayonetta just because technical problems might dilute the experience. You'll still be playing the same amazing title as the rest of us, while, if you skip it, you'll be playing nothing.
Thanks for your reply, makes a lot of sense. I guess my original logic was if I ever have the chance to play it on 360, it'd be better if it was for the first time, but that could take ages, if ever, so I think you're right. I'll pick it up soonish. Thanks.

StuBurns said:
I've been holding out on getting it for this reason, I'm not going to be buying another 360 any time soon, if ever, and I want to play it because I've heard some amazing praise, but I'm concerned about the performance really hurting the experience.

Maybe someone can give me a good suggestion, PS3 Bayonetta or no Bayonetta?

I'm going to make up my mind tommorow whether or not to just trade it in to Amazon.

As of right now, I'd say pass as the visuals really are part of the gameplay (even though I thought they wouldn't be).

TreIII

StuBurns said:
Maybe someone can give me a good suggestion, PS3 Bayonetta or no Bayonetta?

Easy. PS3 Bayo.

The few issues the port has still don't stop it from being one of the best games of its type, and an excellent game overall.

Giolon

See now? I asked:
Giolon said:
I've seen some conflicting information lately on unocking
Jeanne
. Is it Platinum on all Chapters or Verses?

and I just two two different answers:
ShockingAlberto said:
and
mjemirzian said:
You need a platinum in the ALL category on normal difficulty, which is calculated based on your chapter trophies.
So which is it really? Maybe I should just get a million halos...

LiK

StuBurns said:
Thanks for your reply, makes a lot of sense. I guess my original logic was if I ever have the chance to play it on 360, it'd be better if it was for the first time, but that could take ages, if ever, so I think you're right. I'll pick it up soonish. Thanks.

if you ONLY have a PS3, i don't see why you would skip it. if you have both consoles, the 360 is the one to get.

K' Dash

Ok, I've just started the game, will I be able to repeat the chapters with the future upgrades I'll buy? cause I'm geting my ass handed and there's a bunch of things I don't understand yet and I'm too lazy to read the game manual :lol

Bernbaum

Bernbaum's obscure gripe No. 285:

I find the cutscenes thoroughly entertaining, but because of their length, I skip every single one when I replay the game. If they were shorter, I would probably re-watch them.

K' Dash said:
Ok, I've just started the game, will I be able to repeat the chapters with the future upgrades I'll buy? cause I'm geting my ass handed and there's a bunch of things I don't understand yet and I'm too lazy to read the game manual :lol
Yes.

You will also enjoy the game doubly so because of it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mjemirzian said:
You need a platinum in the ALL category on normal difficulty, which is calculated based on your chapter trophies.
!!!

if this is the case, then it looks like I might have the time to unlock * after all.

LiK

K' Dash said:
Excellent, thanks for the quick answer.

the game gets better when you buy more techniques, accessories and weapons. kinda reminds me of my multiple playthroughs in RE5. the more powerful you get, the more fun it gets.

LiK said:
the game gets better when you buy more techniques, accessories and weapons. kinda reminds me of my multiple playthroughs in RE5. the more powerful you get, the more fun it gets.

It's similar, except in this case it simply adds depth to the combat system rather than making you do more damage. The combat you'll experience by the time you're doing hard/climax feels so much more fleshed out than your first run-through of normal.

StuBurns said:
I just played the PS3 demo again, has the 360 version got screen tear?

Yes, but never during combat. And on some levels it's hardly noticeable. On others it's very distracting.

LiK

StuBurns said:
I just played the PS3 demo again, has the 360 version got screen tear?

only in 2 areas in the city without combat from my experience. hardly noticeable elsewhere.

ConcealedBlaze said:
It's similar, except in this case it simply adds depth to the combat system rather than making you do more damage. The combat you'll experience by the time you're doing hard/climax feels so much more fleshed out than your first run-through of normal.

yea that's true.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Giolon said:
See now? I asked:

and I just two two different answers:and

It's Platinum in the All category. Once you got that, Jeanne is unlocked...but you'll pretty much need a Platinum in every chapter.

sonicmj1

Giolon said:
See now? I asked:

and I just two two different answers:and

It's platinum in every chapter. I did it recently, and got plenty of golds (and even a silver or two) for some of the verses. As long as you see a trophy in every single column on Normal difficulty or higher, you'll get your character.

For the record, I'm pretty sure you'll see a platinum in the "all" column before you get platinum on every chapter.

Giolon

sonicmj1 said:
It's platinum in every chapter. I did it recently, and got plenty of golds (and even a silver or two) for some of the verses. As long as you see a trophy in every single column on Normal difficulty or higher, you'll get your character.

For the record, I'm pretty sure you'll see a platinum in the "all" column before you get platinum on every chapter.

So you're saying a Platinum in the ALL column isn't good enough? It's all Chapters?

Zertez

Monocle said:
WTF, I just spent two hours trying to beat the Alfheim Portal in Chapter 6 on Hard (kill 7 enemies with torture attacks and beat the rest under the time limit. Wave 1: Burning Affinity x4, Burning Ardor x1. Wave 2: Burning Ardor x1, Fairness x2. Wave 3: Joy x3.) just to get Umbran Tear #77 from the crow sitting on the left side of the path as you enter the arena. My favorite part is probably the time I had the last Joy down to half health and, at the exact moment I pressed Y+B to finish her off with a torture attack, she kicked me in the face and broke my last health orb. :lol

Every new attempt saw my strategy honed just a little more. To lower the first Ardor's health enough that he could be killed by a torture attack, I switched from my first setup, all Scarborough Fair, to Scarborough Fair and Durga (flame). Later I found it was faster to take him out with two torture attacks. I started using the butterfly shield accessory when I noticed how many hits I had been taking. While this kept me alive for longer, the need to periodically reactivate my shields and compensate for their cost in magic power made combat with fast enemies more difficult to manage. Pillow Talk came into play in the second and third wave, taking over for Kilgore as my main damage dealer. The stripper pole attack with enemy polearms dropped by wave 1's Affinities turned out to be the key to building up enough magic during wave 2 to pull off the last two torture attacks I needed. My tactics for Joy made a 180 degree shift in my later attempts, from strictly defensive actions to sustained bursts of aggressive melee combat. Finally, right after I decided, "Okay, no matter how badly this goes, this is my last try today," I won.

It was the biggest challenge Bayonetta has thrown my way so far, a situation that really highlighted the quality of the game's combat system and the vast array of options it offers. I feel like a better player now, and Bayonetta feels like a better game.
Easiest way I found to beat it is have eternal testimony equipped and taunting. Kill everything in the first wave with tax, and leave one alive. Now build up a full magic bar with taunt. Go into wave 3 with full bar and finish off requiremnt. Now just finish off everything before time runs out.

LordK

Giolon said:
So you're saying a Platinum in the ALL column isn't good enough? It's all Chapters?

Yeah, I just did it. Had a platinum ALL for a while and didn't get my treat. Got the platinum on all chapters a few hours ago and was given my treat.

Finally finished the whole thing. What an ending. Seriously, the last 5 chapters were probably the most epic I've ever seen packed into one game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sonicmj1 said:

excellent!

Monocle

Bernbaum said:
Bernbaum's obscure gripe No. 285:

I find the cutscenes thoroughly entertaining, but because of their length, I skip every single one when I replay the game. If they were shorter, I would probably re-watch them.
You know, I find myself doing the same thing. Except for the
Bayo-clone
pose-off and the subsequent Joy intro. I think I've only skipped those twice out of close to ten plays of that particular verse.

This reminds me of an obscure gripe of my own: Bayonetta kills every other action game out there in terms of content, yet it doesn't have a cutscene viewer. Even DMC4 had one. Maybe I don't want to beat up
Jubileus
just to rewatch the ending, yeah? Kamiya, you're a terrible person!

Since we're on the topic of possible improvements to Bayonetta, I would welcome Ninja Gaiden 2-style DLC consisting of ten or so combat challenges. If individual verses, including Alfheim Portals (which, come to think of it, are pretty much what I just described) could be replayed, that would be even better. It's a pity no DLC is planned.

im tryna get my normal total time down to under 3 hours to unlock that bracelet of time...but damn...im stuck at 3:20

How the shit are some people beating chapter 14 in like under 10 minutes and chapter 8 in like under 6?!

the arcade things automatically make those chapters long...I don't see how they can still shorten thier times on it

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I didn't notice on my first playthrough, maybe because I was only half way paying attention, but yes, the cutscenes are really long in this game.

Bernbaum

:(

For the grace/glory torture moves, I would use my right palm to spin the shit out of my left stick- a hangover from years of crappy Mario Party games.

My left stick now looks like this:

ei5izd.jpg

Bernbaum said:
:(

For the grace/glory torture moves, I would use my right palm to spin the shit out of my left stick- a hangover from years of crappy Mario Party games.

Spinning the stick past a certain speed won't make the meter charge any faster, unlike button press TAs.

Monocle said:
For what little it's worth, I watched a ton of PS3 Bayonetta footage recently and couldn't tell the difference between it and the 360 version I've been playing since the 5th. In fact, most of the best players I've seen on YouTube play the PS3 version (probably because the PS3 is more popular than the 360 in Japan).

I think you'd have to be a complete fool to pass up on an experience like Bayonetta just because technical problems might dilute the experience. You'll still be playing the same amazing title as the rest of us, while, if you skip it, you'll be playing nothing.

There are several youtube videos of platinum/pure platinum boss fights including father Rodin on PS3. I've never heard that it's harder to get platinum on the ps3 version due to "technical issues". So obviously, there is no effect whatsoever on gameplay. I own the game and have unlocked the nunchucks (meaning I have finished 100 chapters). There are only 4 verses where the framerate issues are noticable. 1)Clocktower, but you are invincible, so WTF cares? 2) Route 666 while on top of the truck, 3) On the missile while fighting enemies, and 4) during the last chapter jumping on platforms which is easy anyway.

AgentOtaku said:
I'm going to make up my mind tommorow whether or not to just trade it in to Amazon.

As of right now, I'd say pass as the visuals really are part of the gameplay (even though I thought they wouldn't be).

Don't be a big baby. I've completed 100 chapters and framerate is generally not an issue. 95% of the issue is supratentorial

shit...im at 3 hours and 9 minutes....I really don't know how I am going to be able to shave off another 9 minutes....If only I could figure out how these people are beating chapters 8 and 14 so fast...then it would be easier

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I finally bet the Hard Alfheim in Chapter 6 (seven torture attacks one) to get the pigeon!

it took days. days of repeated attempts. I can finally keep playing now.

I AM A GOD

Miburou

Btw, screen tearing on the 360 is almost unnoticeable if you DON'T install the game to the hard disk.

The only thing I would've liked to see is to have hard mode selectable from the start (and to have only one easy mode). First time I play a game is always special to me, when I'm not skipping cut-scenes and don't know what to expect.

Nemesis_

Rez said:
I finally bet the Hard Alfheim in Chapter 6 (seven torture attacks one) to get the pigeon!

I AM A GOD

I envy you. Once I finish all my Climax Mode crows. (Not pigeons :p) then I will go back and retrieve that one.

Anyone know how I fight the last enemy in the Laguna book?

Nemesis556 said:
I envy you. Once I finish all my Climax Mode crows. (Not pigeons :p) then I will go back and retrieve that one.

Anyone know how I fight the last enemy in the Laguna book?

Earn 10 million halos total (you can spend them, just have to earn that much total), then check the gates of hell and buy the platinum ticket.

Dreavus

Damned Temperantia! I got all the way to the very last part where you fight just his head with no damage, and proceeded to get hit multiple times and pull a bronze in the 'damage' category.

I think the toughest part of a Platinum run so far is the bosses (and finding the alfheims, which isn't so much hard as it is annoying). I'm still sitting at a gold for Fortitudo after multiple attempts.

Nemesis556 said:
Both of those levels suck. The latter is especially overlong and extremely unenjoyable. =(

I don't think they suck, they're just too long, ESPECIALLY in the case of the second one. The bike one is a fun break IMO, but the second one just goes on and on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I feel like I'm the complete opposite of everyone regarding chapter 8/14. Most seem to like 8 more, but I really don't like it. 14 is a fun diversion that lasts a little too long(the triple dragon fight should be cut), but I like doing it. Chapter 8 is the only chapter I actually dislike though, the motorcycle segment just feels half baked and the normal fights sans the chapter closing one are just annoying.

Kevtones

Just beat it FYI

+ Utterly fantastic combat and control
+ Quirky sensibility
+ Intelligent combo design
+ Great spectacle
+ The animation is ridiculous
+ Most of the boss fights
+ Cutscene action...

- Repetitive battles that can feel tedious despite the brilliant combat
- Shitty, shitty gameplay switches
- QTE stuff is meh
- Drags on way too long
- Anything besides action in the cutscenes... Exposition, no thanks

Monocle

Rez said:

I AM A GOD
Haha, congrats. I posted about my experience with that same challenge earlier today. What a crazy ordeal. Which weapons did you use? Any special strategy you found effective?

Edit:
Zertez said:
Easiest way I found to beat it is have eternal testimony equipped and taunting. Kill everything in the first wave with tax, and leave one alive. Now build up a full magic bar with taunt. Go into wave 3 with full bar and finish off requiremnt. Now just finish off everything before time runs out.
Right on, that's just what I did. My basic approach was:

Wave 1

Long taunt enemies, dodge for Witch Time, use panther form to reposition myself, torture attack an enemy, repeat until 1 Affinity remains, taunt until all three magic bars are maxed, grab a dead Affinity's weapon, kill remaining Affinity with torture attack. That would leave me with only two torture attacks left to do.

Wave 2

Dodge for Witch Time, run to middle of enemy group and use pole spin attack until Witch Time expires, use panther form to travel to and pick up second Affinity weapon, kill weakened enemy with torture attack, repeat steps for final torture attack.

Wave 3

Try not to die.

Eventually I replaced Eternal Testimony with Pulley's Butterfly because I found that my main problem wasn't generating magic but staying alive.

Zeliard

Papercuts said:
I feel like I'm the complete opposite of everyone regarding chapter 8/14. Most seem to like 8 more, but I really don't like it. 14 is a fun diversion that lasts a little too long(the triple dragon fight should be cut), but I like doing it. Chapter 8 is the only chapter I actually dislike though, the motorcycle segment just feels half baked and the normal fights sans the chapter closing one are just annoying.

I actually like Chapter 8 outside of the bike section. The fights on the road with the Joys and on top of the cars and such are pretty cool to me and I enjoy replaying them. I usually dip out of that chapter when she gets on the motorcycle, though. I don't even remember what happens when that part is done.

Miburou

Starfoxish. :lol

I actually liked the Fantasy Zone segment (more than the bike one, at least). The risk/reward system is still present, and witch time is always cool. I'm not sure how to get platinum on both verses, though. :(

Zeliard said:
I actually like Chapter 8 outside of the bike section. The fights on the road with the Joys and on top of the cars and such are pretty cool to me and I enjoy replaying them. I usually dip out of that chapter when she gets on the motorcycle, though. I don't even remember what happens when that part is done.

I know what you mean. I always have a grin on my face when the game essentially reverts to a 2d plane, gameplay wise.

Top Bottom