• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta Dev's Scalebound Will Boost Sales of Xbox One in Japan, Says Exec

I really wonder how this will do in general on the Xbox One. Hope it's a good game and does well, if not MS shouldn't bother with japanese games like never again.

cireza

When I don't have games to play on my favorite console, I go on topics about consoles I don't have and act like a jerk.
This was a joke post. I guess that you missed the point.

I have all current consoles and explained why I picked a Xbox in a thread that was asking if a Xbox was a good pick. I don't really see the problem here. I could gave explained the same thing on a Vita thread. Gosh, I probably did, you should dig further in my posts' history :eek:

Edit : lol, my post above contained this :
Microsoft : losing all interesting third party games
But you deliberately avoided it, huh ? Clever man.

Bishop89

f6Hxn.jpg

sure it will

The next Gears of War probably has a better chance of boosting Xbox One sales in Japan. It's a platform that screams "USA!" from the top of its lungs and the only reason anyone in Japan would buy one is if they were interested in western-developed games. Niche Japanese games haven't and aren't going to do it any favours.

Did their efforts with JRPGs last gen help at all? MS did a great job at getting a lot of solid JRPGs on the system (many of them exclusive), but I got the impression that even that didn't really move the needle much in Japan. It's a shame they've now gone totally in the opposite direction and given up altogether.

A boost,well from such low weekly sales in japan it would be hard not to get a boost percentage wise,from something like 250 units to 800 units in a week is a boost.Doesnt mean its all of a sudden doing well though....its dead in japan end of.

of course it will boost - but how much and how long?

20-30.000 new xbox one consoles, won't really matter

i hope the western sales will be strong for this game

phanphare

Banned
I mean, it probably will

the problem is what kind of a boost actually matters when you're selling a few hundred units per week

I could see upwards of a massive 1000% increase in week to week sales. Massive numbers!

They gotta change that name though. Drew? Come on.

GunBR

Everybody already made the joke, but yeah, we probably gonna see a 10x, 20x boost in sales in the week of Scalebound launch.
Did their efforts with JRPGs last gen help at all? MS did a great job at getting a lot of solid JRPGs on the system (many of them exclusive), but I got the impression that even that didn't really move the needle much in Japan. It's a shame they've now gone totally in the opposite direction and given up altogether.

Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4 and the Mistwalker rpgs got great sales in Japan (AFAIK)
But they're two (kind of) big franchises and two games made by a legend (Sakaguchi), while Scalebound is a Platinum game, and we saw how their games sold in the WiiU

I wouldn't be surprised if Scalebound turns out to feel much more western compared to Kamiya's other games, similar to how MGSV feels the most western out of Kojima's games.

You think? I can't picture a Western developer releasing a war game where you're actively given incentive to kill no one. MGSV is just as weird and wacky as MGS always was, too. It's just more spaced out due to the open world stuff.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
A Wonderful 101 extra Xbox Ones sold that week for sure.

Your title poorly conveys that this is a MS employee making the claim rather than a Platinum employee. Of course they'd say that.

Scalebound is made for western gamers who love to play JRPGs or Japanese games in general. It will sell much better in the west. I will buy an Xbox one for this game.

Korigama

Metal Gear Rising aside, which went on to have the largest debut in Japan for a character-action game since the first Devil May Cry (and of course, had the benefit of being a new console Metal Gear and part of a collaborative vision with Kojima Productions), Platinum's games aren't particularly big sellers. Whatever boost Scalebound gives Xbox One in Japan will be far from what that MS exec seems to be hoping for.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't think it matters if the game does well or not.

Microsoft pays the bills so this game will get made.
Platinum is a prolific developer so they seem to be good at making deadlines.

Microsoft green light this knowing about Platinum's pedigree and are fine with a high quality game that improves their software portfolio.

Everyone should be happy about this deal.

Bl@de

Of course it will. WiiU destroyed everything with the Bayonetta 2 boost.

Everyone knows that Platinum games are certified system sellers.

/s

You think? I can't picture a Western developer releasing a war game where you're actively given incentive to kill no one. MGSV is just as weird and wacky as MGS always was, too. It's just more spaced out due to the open world stuff.

Bethesda released an assassination game where you get benefits from killing no one.

Frog-fu

Banned
Relatively speaking I'm sure it will and I hope it does. Microsoft been trying hard and deserve to be successful in Japan. Of course that won't happen, but some modicum of progress has been earned.

I bet its gonna be a system seller, see the numbers jump from 100 to 110 ;)

OT: It definitely looks fun, would like to see how well it does

Relatively speaking I'm sure it will and I hope it does. Microsoft been trying hard and deserve to be successful in Japan. Of course that won't happen, but some modicum of progress has been earned.
How have they been trying hard? And what have they done that deserves success? Their position seems to show that no: they don't deserve success.

How have they been trying hard? And what have they done that deserves success? Their position seems to show that no: they don't deserve success.

They sold the XB1 in the japaense market didn't they? Can't ask for more then that.

But no, they've done but a fraction of what they did for the 360. The sales reflect exactly what they deserve.

Frog-fu

Banned

They consistently invest in Japanese studios all the way back to the original Xbox. They never got much out of it but still keep trying and don't let Japan fall to the wayside.

They deserve some success.

Your title poorly conveys that this is a MS employee making the claim rather than a Platinum employee. Of course they'd say that.

Does it make any difference? Platinum guy would be saying this, as would MS guy. It's a pretty standard hollow statement, whether he actually believes it or not.

They consistently invest in Japanese studios all the way back to the original Xbox. They never got much out of it but still keep trying and don't let Japan fall to the wayside.

Uh, it could be argued that they invested in Japanese development up until about half way through last gen. After 2009 they pretty much stopped giving a shit. Now games like Not Panzer Dragoon and Scalebound are the exception, not the rule.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Nobody is entitled to success simply because they are throwing money at something and that sort of mindset is very toxic to the industry.

Like others have said since 2009 Microsoft stop caring about Japan and outside of saving face value (and MAYBE garner some Japanese support) they shouldn't have bothered to release in Japan with how poorly its doing.

Frog-fu

Banned
Uh, it could be argued that they invested in Japanese development up until about half way through last gen. After 2009 they pretty much stopped giving a shit. Now games like Not Panzer Dragoon and Scalebound are the exception, not the rule.

They cut back on funding Japanese studios because the games simply weren't selling enough to justify the costs. In the time they did fund them, they gave us consistenly great games that were deserving of more success than they were given.

Nobody is entitled to success simply because they are throwing money at something and that sort of mindset is very toxic to the industry.

Like others have said since 2009 Microsoft stop caring about Japan and outside of saving face value (and MAYBE garner some Japanese support) they shouldn't have bothered to release in Japan with how poorly its doing.

I didn't say they were entitled to success, only that they deserved it. We're still getting Japanese games now, albeit less so than before.

D4 is a Japanese game that's getting a second season. Scalebound obviously. Spencer has stated that Phantom Dust is still coming eventually.

Microsoft still puts a lot of efforts in the community outreach programs with their fanfests and what not in Japan and Asia as a whole. They're obviously passionate about it, and I think it's a shame they're not making much progress.

Top Bottom