• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta PC port gets updated... with a Vanquish teaser

Varna

Will buy. Played the PS3 version for a bit... seemed fun but the PC snob in me wouldn't let me play a game with such shit frame-rate and IQ.

Aki-at

Man I always enjoy how at some point Vanquish and Binary Domain threads end up being a fight between the two hahaha.

Much prefer Binary Domain myself, enemies react to you shooting them, great variety in design, wondeful boss fights, Yakuza team making some good tunes and a great robot companion by your side. Loved almost every moment (The opening chapter was so slooooow) of it and played it again straight after finishing it.

Still looking forward to playing more of Vanquish when it comes out on PC, it's boosting gameplay and slow mo gunning wasn't my cup of tea but really happy to support Platinum's ports on the PC. Maybe we'll finally get that fabled Anarchy Reigns PC multiplayer eh?

BD is probably in my top 10 'most surprising games' because I did not expect to find a story i gave a damn about in it at all.

also this fucker

"You're pretty good... monsieur"

"You're aiming was... magnifique monsieur!"

I would totally have played a game where you get to play as this guy.

What!? That's awesome!

I just bought Bayonetta like an hour ago, wanted to make sure I get the extras. Next Vanquish and then Anarchy Reigns?

By June we will be celebrating Bayonetta 2 release! Haha

Gattsu25

Banned
HoeJn6G.gif

As I said, the style of play is what's the same, a focus of navigating each combat encounter as satisfyingly or efficiently as possible. It's pure mechanics for both Doom and Vanquish. Binary Domain is really on another tier of campaign style and narrative focus. Remove the story and narrative beats and BD doesn't get carried by its combat like the others.
Binary Domain's party interactions and story bits were interesting, but the lasting impression I got out of it was the way it played. Definitely one of the best third person shooters just in terms of how well done the shooting and enemy encounters were done. You can shoot off heads and have enemies turn on one another, you can shoot off the arms holding onto the guns, you can shoot their leg off and have them crawl at you. When you're facing off against a shielded enemy and manage to peck at its foot and have it all tumbling down and then shred it apart as it gets exposed it's glorious.

Vanquish I would disagree with feeling arcadey if only due to how antithetical I found the weapon upgrades to mesh with that approach, and I found the pacing of the combat in general to be very disjointed -- like I guess it can look cool in cherry picked moments and it's made to do that, but I really put in the time and gave the thing another chance to re-evaluate it and I just found it all disjointed and at odds with itself.
I'll leave it at that because I really wasn't hopping into this thread on my own just to shit on Vanquish, I was just linked to it and had poor self-restraint in making a post of my thoughts.

Well the game is like 10 years old.... but yes I suppose PC is doing well.
As a PC release it can be preserved in a forwardly playable way, so it's got some longevity for it there.

BBboy20

Vanquish is the closest you are going to get to an evolved Mega Man.

I am not understanding why Binary Domain is even being compared when it's gameplay is basically Gears of Bots.

Zomba13

Vanquish is the closest you are going to get to an evolved Mega Man.

I am not understanding why Binary Domain is even being compared when it's gameplay is basically Gears of Bots.

I think it's just because they are both third person shooters from Japan.

What are these 'Bayonetta extras' that people are talking about?

You get an artbook PDF, a few soundtrack mp3s and some wallpapers and avatars in an 'EXTRAS' folder in Bayo's install directory. The latest patch added a Vanquish avatar out of the blue.

Shit's hype :p

You get an artbook PDF, a few soundtrack mp3s and some wallpapers and avatars in an 'EXTRAS' folder in Bayo's install directory. The latest patch added a Vanquish avatar out of the blue.

Shit's hype :p

I see. Eh, I think we can still get it online later even though they decided to remove them on the next patch.

The Wart

Oof, Binary Domain. Now that was awful (sorry duckroll).

Didn't dislike it but I find the love for it baffling. Shooting off body parts was a neat gimmick but didn't add anywhere near enough depth to carry the game though the endless series of generic shooting galleries. Maybe the problem is that I played M+KB which kinda trivialized the difficulty.

Incredible script though. Level of quality there was totally unexpected.

Dambrosi

Banned
I literally just purchased Bayonetta PC 5 minutes ago because they were going to remove the extra stuffs :eek:
Goddammit, you just made me buy it, and I already have all the other versions, including the Wii U one. Those "extra stuffs" better be worth it.

VANQUISH MEGAHYPE

There were actually two Vanquish demos released – the first was a bit from the campaign, then later they released a demo for the challenge mode. Was it an exclusive challenge level? I don't think I played it, but I'd thought it was just the first challenge mission from the full game.

Sorry about that, wasn't sure myself.

Paertan

Haha I got chills reading this! xD Hopefully this will pave a way for sequels on PC as well. Bayonetta 2 first and new sequels as well.

I remember enjoying Vanquish but nothing really comes to mind other than the beautiful sliding, cigerette dancing and totally random and unexpected gore when you died so I'm definetly looking forward to it.

PantsuJo

After Vanquish, gimme Virtua Fighter 5 and Resonance of Fate.

PLEASE SEGA, I STILL LOVE YOU, I SAID BAD THINGS ABOUT YOU BUT I STILL LOVE YOU.

(Anarchy Reigns too, thanks)

NEO0MJ

How someone designs a mod that let's weapon upgrades carry over instead of disappearing when dropped. Or even better, give us a weapon wheel with all the weapons you collected!

Diabolical

Neo Member
Let's hope MadWorld doesn't get forgotten (following Vanquish) if they decide to go the Anarchy Reigns route. MadWorld was Jack Cayman's origin story and several character inclusions (and many references in AR) would be completely lost without it.

Also hope they're considering other SEGA titles too, like Resonance of Fate, Shenmue, and Shenmue II. Those three have a very high probability of being successful.

Top Bottom