• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: "Colorado to arm teachers in classrooms"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40353408

Teachers are being trained to carry guns in classrooms in Colorado in order to protect children as part of a scheme motivated by a school massacre in 2012.

The pilot programme will allow volunteers to enter schools with guns under US "concealed carry" laws.

Is this a first?

Edit: Another quote from the article that gives some details of how it is gonna work:
How does Faster work?
A selected school will ask staff to volunteer for training "in armed response" and "crisis management".
The school will then apply for training with Faster, a non-profit group that relies on charitable contributions, which will provide tuition for free.
Those chosen to participate attend an intensive course over three days with law enforcement personnel experienced in "active shooter situations". They will also be "tested physically and mentally".
The course not only teaches those enrolled to use firearms effectively against any threat, but also how to respond to injuries and provide medical assistance while awaiting emergency services.
An Ohio law issued in 2013 permits schools in the US state to arm employees "if that teacher is required to, in essence, become a security guard".

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah this doesn't seem like its going to have dire consequences when some teacher loses it one day. No not at all.

i-Lo

You get a gun and YOU get a gun AND you get a GUN and you TOO get a gun.

I hope they are properly trained to assess and handle the situation before escalating it with a weapon

A gun in the classroom seems like such a smart idea, what could go wrong.
Honestly there should be 2 guns in a classroom, so if someone goes crazy the other gun cancels it out! Genius

spekkeh

Banned
USA like

down_the_rabbit_hole.gif

Robiin

And give one to a class attendee as well, just in case the teacher goes bananas. Select the student who gets to be the Class Defender(TM) by having a fist fight - last one standing wins the rights.

America is insane.

Quick question.

Do we know if in the history of ever, if teachers are immune to stress/mental health related violent outbursts?

Another question.

How quickly will "I feared for my life" become a reason why children start receiving the ultimate in punishment?

Dunlop

Unless they are given extensive combat training, the bodies instinct to survive will kick in and you will still flee.

But now the gunman will have more guns to stock up during his rampage.

Kthulhu

You get a gun and YOU get a gun AND you get a GUN and you TOO get a gun.

I hope they are properly trained to assess and handle the situation before escalating it with a weapon

You know they won't. Might as well have cops become teachers if that's what you want.

Stray bullets hitting kids everywhere.

Kid grabs gun out of teacher's holster and unloads a clip.

Misfires.

Teacher's losing it over a difficult kid.

Quieter, more disciplined classes????

_Nemo

America's fetish with guns is on a whole other level. Have they made gun dildos that shoot cum yet? Fucking idiots.

Mik2121

Instead of improving security on the perimeter of the premises, they decide to simply arm the teachers. Holy cow some parts of the US are frighteningly backwards.

Worst case scenario: another school massacre.

Best case scenario: nobody is harmed during the scheme...but gun nuts claim that it's because the program is 'working' and is rolled out further across the country.

Shredderi

I've got this and no guns needed:

Every individual entering the school premises will be placed inside bulletproof glass cubicles that slide on the ground with you as you move.

JUeNixU.png

On the way to the train this morning I passed a truck with a "I'm an NRA member and I vote" bumper sticker. This is the future they want. What a profound disappointment.

-MB-

Quick question.

Do we know if in the history of ever, if teachers are immune to stress/mental health related violent outbursts?

Another question.

How quickly will "I feared for my life" become a reason why children start receiving the ultimate in punishment?

Only if that child happens to be black.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
This makes me think of that GAFer that was a teacher and a self proclaimed member of the Klan who went out of his way to ruin a student's life.

What could possibly go wrong with armed, hateful teachers?

imo we should do more e.g. give teachers access to nuclear launch codes in case there is a nuclear threat from Iran or North Korea aimed at the school

G.ZZZ

Good job America.

Now do us a favor and build those goddamn walls. As high as possible. All around you.

Famassu

Because more guns in schools (or society altogether) is going to solve all problems. What if a mentally disturbed student or disgruntled employee gets ahold of one of these guns?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Because more guns in schools (or society altogether) is going to solve all problems. What if a mentally disturbed student or disgruntled employee gets ahold of one of these guns?
Won't be the first or last time. At this rate it'll probably happen more frequent.

Top Bottom