• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: "Colorado to arm teachers in classrooms"

styl3s

Why do so many people assume teachers are insane and will shoot any kid who pisses them off? What has stopped all these teachers before from walking in with a machine gun or pistol?

Don't get me wrong i think there are better ways to handle school shootings than giving untrained people guns but stop being absurd.

Why do so many people assume teachers are insane and will shoot any kid who pisses them off? What has stopped all these teachers before from walking in with a machine gun or pistol?

Don't get me wrong i think there are better ways to handle school shootings than giving untrained people guns but stop being absurd.

Do you know any teachers outside of work? Most of them HATE their jobs and their life. In my experience at least. Doesn't mean they are all going to be going crazy and shooting kids but is there a chance? Yes.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
A gun within ten meters of every child!
Unless biometric-locked guns are a thing, and probably even if they do, this sounds completely insane. Incidents waiting to happen, and in numbers.

All it takes is one to shoot up a class. There's millions of teachers, and this is not military-style training.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Because it happens in every other part of American life over and over again why should teachers and schools be any different?

Caja 117

How about with this experiment if either a child or a teacher gets killed by said gun every lawmaker behind this dumb fuckery can be tried and sentence for Manslaughter?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It doesn't even need to be the teachers doing the shooting.

All it takes is one tired/jaded/negligent teacher putting their gun in the teacher's desk, and a curious kid finding it.

Dehnus

teacher.jpeg
According to the rest of the World: Teacher!
According to the Colorado: Criminal!

According to the rest of the World: Criminal!
According to the Colorado: Teacher!

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

Absurd? Seriously?

Why are we talking about the comments here being absurdity and hyperbole, when we're talking about guns and the US, which are unlike any other 1st world country?

Here's some absurd scenarios for ya:

As a teacher making 55k a year, are you going to risk your life to try to take out a gunman?

I'm sure that you know one or two folks who have anxiety problems. Now imagine them working in a school. Now imagine them armed.

Cops rush on the scene, one of the teachers is black. He lets the cops know that he's armed. How safe do you think that teacher is?

A student brings a gun into the school, you fear for your life. Do you shoot the kid?

Another teacher seems to be emotionally unstable. You fear for your life. Do you shoot the teacher?

thespot84

Ya'll are right, Colorado is redneck and ass backwards, moving here would be something only crazy people do.

(we'll continue to take your tourist dollars though, thanks)

It says Colorado, but it seems to be only a small area in the Denver area. Read the article.

it's not even close to denver

Dehnus

It says Colorado, but it seems to be only a small area in the Denver area. Read the article.

Then shame them to heck and back until they behave, seriously. What's next, Stingers for the janitor? To take out drones the children might bring with them?

TaterTots

Banned
Where I live we have "school officers" who are policeman on site and armed during school hours. I thought this was a nationwide thing? If some of you are ok with that, then why not take a group of volunteers and have them go through the same pre screening a police officer has to go through? Mental evaluation, lie detector test, and a longer training period with the firearm?

What would be the difference then?

Also, yes we Americans love our guns. I have a buddy in TX who has a gun in every room of his house lol.

Nurse: Doctor, it appears our patient has cyanide poisoning, what will we do?

Doctor: ADD MORE CYANIDE!

Nurse : Brilliant, why didn't I think of that?

American gun fetish will never cease to amaze and terrify.

Akuun

I have a buddy in TX who has a gun in every room of his house lol.
Stories like that terrify me. If you like target shooting then sure, keep a gun in a safe and exercise extreme caution and all that with it. Don't hide guns all over the house expecting to re-enact a spy movie shootout at any moment.

I hope the guy doesn't have kids or anything, or else that's an accident waiting to happen.

Akuun

Awesome.

teachers-guns1.png

Billy what country is this? You only get one attempt so you better make it count!
I've actually had a prof who talked like that rhetorically during his lectures.

"If I pointed a gun at you and asked you <some question>..."

and then later in the lecture...

"Now you're bleeding on the ground, and I point my gun at you again and ask you another question. There's still time to get to the hospital if you answer this right, but if you answer it wrong I'll put another one in you and finish you off..."

Fucking creepy ass teacher.

Hale-XF11

"Now you're bleeding on the ground, and I point my gun at you again and ask you another question. There's still time to get to the hospital if you answer this right, but if you answer it wrong I'll put another one in you and finish you off..."

Welp, good luck, children of Colorado. You're gonna need it.

Wth?? That is really creepy man.

Best case scenario: Teacher stops a mass murderer.

Worst case scenario: Depressed, bullied kid pulls out a gun in front of their favorite teacher in a private meeting for suicide by teacher. Teacher tries to talk them out. Confused child accidentally kills teacher and kills themself. Student is person of color and teacher is not.

What can go wrong.

styl3s

Do you know any teachers outside of work? Most of them HATE their jobs and their life. In my experience at least. Doesn't mean they are all going to be going crazy and shooting kids but is there a chance? Yes.

A gun within ten meters of every child!
Unless biometric-locked guns are a thing, and probably even if they do, this sounds completely insane. Incidents waiting to happen, and in numbers.

All it takes is one to shoot up a class. There's millions of teachers, and this is not military-style training.

Because it happens in every other part of American life over and over again why should teachers and schools be any different?
What has stopped any of these teachers from bringing a gun to school and doing it? How does giving them make it any different then going out and buying one and doing it? I don't see the logic in that giving teachers guns will automatically make them fucking psychopaths.

Absurd? Seriously?

Why are we talking about the comments here being absurdity and hyperbole, when we're talking about guns and the US, which are unlike any other 1st world country?

Here's some absurd scenarios for ya:

As a teacher making 55k a year, are you going to risk your life to try to take out a gunman?

I'm sure that you know one or two folks who have anxiety problems. Now imagine them working in a school. Now imagine them armed.

Cops rush on the scene, one of the teachers is black. He lets the cops know that he's armed. How safe do you think that teacher is?

A student brings a gun into the school, you fear for your life. Do you shoot the kid?

Another teacher seems to be emotionally unstable. You fear for your life. Do you shoot the teacher?
I am referring to 1 comment that keeps showing up and it's that a teacher getting a gun suddenly makes them a psychopath murderer.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
What has stopped any of these teachers from bringing a gun to school and doing it? How does giving them make it any different then going out and buying one and doing it? I don't see the logic in that giving teachers guns will automatically make them fucking psychopaths.

I am referring to 1 comment that keeps showing up and it's that a teacher getting a gun suddenly makes them a psychopath murderer.

Impulse decisions do not include planning.

Top Bottom