• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Tremor is detected in North Korea (up: nuclear test conducted)

Drifters

I giggled. :X
It would be awful, don't get me wrong, but it'd feel too much like an episode of Looney Tunes.

DUFkZCs.gif

Pretty much. I can't image the AAR on something like that.

Scientist to Kim: But sir, the payload was the correct size you gave us!
Kim: And what size was that?
Scientist: Supreme.

Afrodium

Banned
Don't we already know that they have nukes? What does a nuclear test on their own soil prove? I thought it was tech related to sending the missiles overseas and out of the atmosphere that they still had to crack.

It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

This is all heading towards a inevitable mess and I honestly don't know what a realistic best case scenario could be.

The best case, and likely scenario, is more or less...nothing substantive. Just like the last x amount of times they pulled similar shit. For f'ing years/decades now. Why is it that because they claim to be closer to destroying (h-bombs! even more destruction than before!) the evil empire week in and out, that the threat is more believable?

I'm going to go with worst case, at some point some more SK sailors die (which of course will be a tragedy, but barely a blip in the scope of what is being suggested). Just like last time. Forums everywhere will go wild as if the world is ending at that point, worldwide doom imminent I guess.

sibarraz

Banned
Why North Korea was able to build such a huge arsenal while the south seems to helpless on the matter?

I always thought that if one country hit first, the other would answer and in the end both would have destroyed since they were at equal

What about making a UN coalition with the amendment to strike very hard and immediate at NKs military target, supplylines and non-civilian infrastructure? Knee their weapons capabillities and try and force the collapse from within.

Waiting will only make it many times more dangerous. If you have to think about the lowest loss of life, you'd have to conclude that time is running out, and waiting until they have nukes that can hit seoul, is a non-option.

Even if you would have an effective war with little casualties (which is doubtful) you are left with a population that is likely to be very resentful towards any foreign leadership.

Them nuking Seoul is not a certainty by any means, as soon as they nuke a populated target the counter response would be devastating and it makes no sense to do so.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The best case, and likely scenario, is more or less...nothing substantive. Just like the last x amount of times they pulled similar shit. For f'ing years/decades now. Why is it that because they claim to be closer to destroying (h-bombs! even more destruction than before!) the evil empire week in and out, that the threat is more believable?

Because the nuclear tests keep strengthening in magnitude and their missile technology keeps advancing? It's not like literally nothing has changed in the past several decades.

Appeasement 2.0, 21st century style. Future textbooks will discuss the flaws of American (and world at large) approach to containing NK over the past 30 years, and how big of a mistake it was to enable their pursuit of nuclear weapons without any serious consequences.

Now it's a question of whether we want hundreds of thousands dead or tens of millions dead, and our electrical grid still functional. The more time that passes with Kim still in power, the higher the future inevitable death toll becomes. This guy needs to be taken out SOON

Don't we already know that they have nukes? What does a nuclear test on their own soil prove? I thought it was tech related to sending the missiles overseas and out of the atmosphere that they still had to crack.
They have known nuclear weapons and are working on thermonuclear weapons which are much more powerful.

Beefy

Because the nuclear tests keep strengthening in magnitude and their missile technology keeps increasing? It's not like literally nothing has changed in the past several decades.

That and Kim is far more insane then his dad

low-G

The miniaturization of a nuke is the thing they haven't proven at all yet. The missile tech probably close to sufficient if not already.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
North Korea is now claiming they have Hydrogen bomb technology so this news would more than likely corroborate that.

Shauni

Why North Korea was able to build such a huge arsenal while the south seems to helpless on the matter?

I always thought that if one country hit first, the other would answer and in the end both would have destroyed since they were at equal

I don't think the South is really helpless about that regard, but are they even actively trying to create a massive military arsenal? They have focused far more on infrastructure and quality of life and the like than actually building up their military. North Korea puts what little resources they have into the military. It's just different priorities. One is a rapidly changing liberal democracy that focuses on improving everything at break-neck speed and the other is a military state that is far behind the times in almost every aspect that isn't the military

Drifters

Another quake?

Jesus.

Also, the end game here for a peaceful (relative to the world) is as others pointed out, China go in and take Kim out themselves. A unified North and South would be the 21st century's iron curtain coming down.

Because the nuclear tests keep strengthening in magnitude and their missile technology keeps increasing? It's not like literally nothing has changed in the past several decades.

Yeah, finally they're getting with the times in regards to what gets the west's attention.

Do you really think they want to go to war?

I know what I think.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yeah, finally they're getting with the times in regards to what gets the west's attention.

Do you really think they want to go to war?

I know what I think.

I have literally no idea what North Korea wants. What would it take to get them to stop acting this way?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
China should just take over North Korea and shut the Kims down

They don't want to deal with the million plus refugees and the insane costs of fixing up North Korea in terms of infrastructure. If they do it that means they literally had no other choice.

brian577

Banned
I have literally no idea what North Korea wants. What would it take to get them to stop acting this way?

Probably a complete withdraw of U.S. forces from SK if not all of Asia and an end to war game exercises. In other words...never going to happen.

cameron

China's Earthquake Administration said on Sunday it detected a 6.3 magnitude earthquake in North Korea that was a ”suspected explosion". The administration said in a statement on its website that the quake, which occurred around 11:30 a.m. (0330 GMT), was recorded at a depth of zero kilometres.
Second quake reported

According to Reuters in China, China's Earthquake Administration said it has detected another quake in North Korea of magnitude 4.6, which it termed as a ”collapse".

A statement on the administration's website said the second quake, measured at a depth of zero kilometres, came eight minutes after the first quake, which it said was a ”suspected explosion".

The coordinates of the two quakes were almost identical, according to figures provided by the administration.
Live Updates via The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...south-korea-yohap-kim-jong-un-live?CMP=twt_gu

BasicMath

I love that this is always the response. No I don't have any bright fucking ideas and I wish I did. Waiting around doesn't seem to be working, that's all I know.
We went from facing the threat of Seoul and Tokyo being possibly destroyed if we retaliated 10 years ago. Now it's Seoul, Tokyo, Los Angeles, Seattle, New York, Chicago and a few others being on the line now.

Inaction is working well.

Shauni

Appeasement 2.0, 21st century style. Future textbooks will discuss the flaws of American (and world at large) approach to containing NK over the past 30 years, and how big of a mistake it was to enable their pursuit of nuclear weapons without any serious consequences.

Now it's a question of whether we want hundreds of thousands dead or tens of millions dead, and our electrical grid still functional. The more time that passes with Kim still in power, the higher the future inevitable death toll becomes. This guy needs to be taken out SOON

America did what it could, no matter what anyone says, just like most of the world at large did with increased sanctions. There's just not a direct path to conflict with NK without involving China, and that's really the issue. China has allowed this to happen by shielding NK for such a long time and never being as hands on with them as they should. It's much like America and Israel. Sure, there are other factors that have contributed to this, but if there's anyone who deserves the finger pointed out them, it's China. It may not be as simple as China just saying stop and NK stopping, but anyone who doesn't believe China could have done significantly more to stop NK's current directory is crazy.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
China should just take over North Korea and shut the Kims down
China doesn't want to have to deal with American military bases at their borders. North Korea provides a buffer for them. Never mind that NORTH KOREA HAS NUCLEAR WEAPONS YOU DONT JUST GO TO WAR WITH NUCLEAR CAPABLE COUNTRIES.

I' ve been drinking a bit tonight but all I can picture is someone waking Trump up out of his sleep with this news and Trump being like "so just nuke em what you bothering me for"

riotous

Banned
They don't want to deal with the million plus refugees and the insane costs of fixing up North Korea in terms of infrastructure. If they do it that means they literally had no other choice.

I don't quite understand this; China seems eager to gobble up land and hold strategic positions (and for the most part, can't, other than flexing their might in the sea and building islands). Isn't N. Korea a good candidate for that? It seems like it's the only acceptable place on the planet they could expand into and the world would thank them for it.

Another ~25 million people is oviously no small matter, but it's not much compared to Chinese immense population and soon will probably be around 1 year of births for them.

I probably sound hugely ignorant here though.

I don't quite understand this; China seems eager to gobble up land and hold strategic positions (and for the most part, can't, other than flexing their might in the sea and building islands). Isn't N. Korea a good candidate for that? It seems like it's the only acceptable place on the planet they could expand into and the world would thank them for it.

Another ~25 million people is oviously no small matter, but it's not much compared to Chinese immense population and soon will probably be around 1 year of births for them.

Well, there's the part where N. Korea has nuclear bombs and a crazy dictator who probably wouldn't hesitate to use them in retaliation. He might not be able to hit D.C. but I bet he can hit Beijing.

brian577

Banned
OzbNz2u.png

[think]

Maybe an actual earthquake resulting from the first test?

BBC says China's Earthquake Administration believes it was a "collapse"
'

Guess they probably mean the underground chamber that was created collapsed from the explosion

Shauni

Resource-wise, both Koreas have little value. The reason that education has become so important and emphasized in South Korea is because they basically turn their residents into resources since the Korean peninsula is mostly barren of them. And it's not just the amount of people, but it's a people who literally have lived their entire lives in a massive bubble without any real knowledge of the real world, many of which are completely uneducated (or educated in a way that is contradictory to reality), which little to no skills, and that have had a slavish devotion to leaders that many are raised to believe are literal gods among men. The transition would be rough, to say the least. And the general thought is that North Korea's infrastructure is a disaster and outdated by decades time.

Kthulhu

What about making a UN coalition with the amendment to strike very hard and immediate at NKs military target, supplylines and non-civilian infrastructure? Knee their weapons capabillities and try and force the collapse from within.

Waiting will only make it many times more dangerous. If you have to think about the lowest loss of life, you'd have to conclude that time is running out, and waiting until they have nukes that can hit seoul, is a non-option.

China would probably veto it even if you could get enough countries on board.

MightyKAC

All of this has happened before,

All of this will happen again.

Every year at about this time S. Korea and US forces hold the Ulchi-Freedom Guardian exercises (UFG) and every year N. Korea throws a temper tantrum about it to the tune of an underground test or a missile launch.

It happened near the beginning, and now it's happening close to Endex as well.

And chances are it will happen again in 2018.

When I lived in Seoul in 2015-2016 I asked if I should be worried about any of this.

My boss at the time (who had been living in Korea for about 22 years) said "ask any of the Koreans if they're worried about it.

Sure enough, they barely notice it outside of what's shown on the news.

BBC says China's Earthquake Administration believes it was a "collapse"
'

Guess they probably mean the underground chamber that was created collapsed from the explosion

Yeah there must have been a huge collapse I guess from the bomb going off. Might be a huge new crater somewhere in NK now

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Maybe they blew themselves up.

Top Bottom