• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beatmania IIDX Community Thread: Deluxe Sound Sensation

Yuuichi

That terrifies me.

The lack of sudden+ or the chart difficulty? Doesn't look to be a very hard 11.

That's seemed like the problem for me so far, while I haven't gotten a chance to play yet from what I've seen the new 11's look too easy and the new 12's look too hard.

Yuuichi

So is there any hope of playing Leggendaria charts at Round1 locations? Or is it locked to Paseli only?

There's some new system called rainbow ticket that you can use to get them (and older unlocks) that's purchasable with paseli through the web portal, making it usable here. I don't actually know how it works though.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
The lack of sudden+ or the chart difficulty? Doesn't look to be a very hard 11.

That's seemed like the problem for me so far, while I haven't gotten a chance to play yet from what I've seen the new 11's look too easy and the new 12's look too hard.

When you look at 11s and 12s and you're still a long way from passing them, I think they look fairly similar to each other - just dense streams of notes and patterns you don't know how to do yet.

I'm creeping up on being able to pass 10s, so that chart looks very challenging to me - but also perhaps within reach next year if I keep practicing at the rate I am now. I'm playing more than I have done in years and my scores have gone way up.

So those of you who have played on both: do you prefer the old style hard turntable or the newer soft grip turntable? I recently paid way too much money to get old style turntables off Yahoo Auctions:

iTPsM20.jpg

The machine had come with the new style turntables, but they were really worn and the grip surface was actually peeling off. We ran the machine without the grips for a while and it made for an extremely light, easy to spin table, so I get the feeling the arcade regulars aren't going to like this after having easymode turntables for so long...

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Infinitas has had a pretty rough outing so far but things could well be looking up now that this much is on the horizon:

01.jpg

http://www.konamistyle.jp/sp/bemanifactory/

Pricing isn't set yet. Also, a KonamiID is required for preorder (and eventual purchase) so there's no direct way for foreigners to acquire it, but that's nothing new regarding Konamistyle products.

Regardless, this has the physical looks of a good product and does imply that using third party controllers through USB should be possible on Infinitas in the future.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
DJ Dao confirmed in sows they will be working on drivers for their controllers to work with Infinitas.

The controller from Konami looks good, though.

Falk

that puzzling face
It says USB, but I wonder if Konami is gonna shenanigan it to only work with INFINITAS.

I mean, it's a double edged sword - on one hand BMS, especially BMS conversions of AC, or outright emulation, is gonna be completely at odds with INFINITAS. On the other, people are more likely to buy into the hardware if it's usable outside one single subscription-based title.

"It says USB, but I wonder if Konami is gonna shenanigan it to only work with INFINITAS."

Not really possible. Even if it were somehow possible, it'd be pretty simple to wire in a different controller pcb.

Tain

It doesn't seem worthwhile even if Konami really cared to prevent BMS play with the controller. I fully expect it to be a plain old (or maybe xinput) game controller.

Falk

that puzzling face
You mean for INFINITAS or in general? I never got into the INFINITAS alphas (ehehehehe *twitch*) but used a KOC extensively for BMS shenanigans.

PS2 to USB converters exist but A) are becoming increasingly hard to find due to age, and B) always introduce at least a little lag. At this point in time it's a better investment to just get a USB native controller at minimum; not only do you not have to deal with lag and other screwiness, but they also just play better than the entry level controllers. Besides the new controller Konami just announced, DJDAO has been making them for years.

Yuuichi

I watched a little, seems so strange to me to watch people play without the modern luxuries (proper HS, s+, ect.). I guess that's what I get for only playing for like 5 years.

Shun

cj are you doing 5thKAC OT in February?

We have enough people who care about KAC and otoge right?

Hopefully the thread won't get derailed and ruined because they're hosting a video game tournament.

cj_iwakura

cj are you doing 5thKAC OT in February?

We have enough people who care about KAC and otoge right?

Hopefully the thread won't get derailed and ruined because they're hosting a video game tournament.
I'm honestly not familiar with it, feel free to enlighten me.

Thanks. I appreciate the older styles' simplicity(heck I played on a Beatmania III once), but I doubt I could go further back than 7th.

God I miss 5th Style. Insertion, Ride On The Light, Tablets, Still My Words, Rislim - just such a great set.

That does bring back memories. Hard to believe how long ago that was for me, playing for hours at the local arcade only to stop to grab food. I had way too much time on my hands back then. 2002-2005 were my prime IIDX years.

zeioIIDX

I've only been playing on and off since 2006. I just passed my first 11s: Afro Knuckle last month and Miracle Meets last night. I admit they aren't terribly difficult for 11s and there are still a ton of really, really hard 10s I've yet to clear. like seriously...how is AA only a 10 on Hyper?! I recently started playing with Sudden+ last month and that has helped out tremendously.

I've only been playing on and off since 2006. I just passed my first 11s: Afro Knuckle last month and Miracle Meets last night. I admit they aren't terribly difficult for 11s and there are still a ton of really, really hard 10s I've yet to clear. But it still gave me a sense of accomplishment. I recently started playing with Sudden+ last month and that has helped out tremendously.

I fell off after IIDX Red since our local arcade closed. I got to play some of the later releases on PS2 and other means, but otherwise its been a long time since I last played. I started with 5-key mixes back in 98 tho, even dabbled in BMIII since there was a 7th Mix machine for the longest time here.

zeioIIDX

I fell off after IIDX Red since our local arcade closed. I got to play some of the later releases on PS2 and other means, but otherwise its been a long time since I last played. I started with 5-key mixes back in 98 tho, even dabbled in BMIII since there was a 7th Mix machine for the longest time here.

Wow, so you're an OG then lol. When IIDX RED released is pretty much when I hopped on board. I imported 8th Style as my first game and grabbed a KOC (I have a Dao FP7 now) then I picked up IIDX RED as my second mix. First time playing on a cabinet was the IIDX Gold location test in Illinois. I was not prepared at all for the difference in feeling when you play standing up and super close to the monitor as opposed to at home sitting and at a comfy distance from the screen...heh.

Tain

That does bring back memories. Hard to believe how long ago that was for me, playing for hours at the local arcade only to stop to grab food. I had way too much time on my hands back then. 2002-2005 were my prime IIDX years.

Same, pretty much any IIDX music from 6th-8th are really nostalgic for me.

Dio

Banned
Anyone got a greatest hits of their favorite IIDX tracks? I got in a recent mood to put on some background music for stuff and went wading through IIDX albums again to remember ones I've heard - there are too many damn CDs to look through. I'd like to hear some of your favorites. Hell, even Pump it Up is fine with me, I'll take any rhythm songs if you feel like suggesting more than IIDX songs.

Same, pretty much any IIDX music from 6th-8th are really nostalgic for me.

Pretty much. We had one machine that got swapped out with 3rd-8th in that time, it was crazy. After that I got a chance to play IIDX Red in Vegas, and now I own that and 9th on PS2. I have a soft spot for Beatmania 2nd Mix's track list tho.

Yuuichi

I've only been playing on and off since 2006. I just passed my first 11s: Afro Knuckle last month and Miracle Meets last night. I admit they aren't terribly difficult for 11s and there are still a ton of really, really hard 10s I've yet to clear. like seriously...how is AA only a 10 on Hyper?! I recently started playing with Sudden+ last month and that has helped out tremendously.

S+ helps a ton, play with it even more until you find a speed you're really comfortable with.

Your progress sounds normal to me, tbh. AA is actually a pretty easy 10 once you get better able to handle sustained density, which sounds like your big issue right now. I would just play and fail a bunch of slightly too difficult 11's if you have PFree available, that would probably be the biggest help.

cj_iwakura

Anyone got a greatest hits of their favorite IIDX tracks? I got in a recent mood to put on some background music for stuff and went wading through IIDX albums again to remember ones I've heard - there are too many damn CDs to look through. I'd like to hear some of your favorites. Hell, even Pump it Up is fine with me, I'll take any rhythm songs if you feel like suggesting more than IIDX songs.

Offhand:

Second Heaven
Dazzlin' Darling
So Fabulous!!!
Heavenly Sun
Rislim
Love Will
Setsugekka
Bad Boy Bass!
Pandora
Harmony & Lovely
Last Message
Night of Fire
Remember Me
Silvia Drive
System Romance

I LOOOVE 10th Style. And Hard House.

Roubjon

I've got a question regarding my DJ Dao controller. The top rubbery part of the turntable has kinda gotten unstuck to the plastic part, like the glue became not as strong along the edges or something. I'm assuming I can just super glue it back on, but do any of you gals/guys know if there is a better way?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
If you're referring to the logo decal in the center, I'd just rip it off. No amount of glue I used prevented it from warping out of place, and one errant quick scratch which resulted in getting the tip of my finger cut on the edge of the decal and bleeding on the keys was my last straw.

Yuuichi

I had the same problem. I tried to reglue it and it went dismally, so you have a few options:

1: take dao's advice (don't remember the source) to use a blow dryer to reheat the adhesive and re-apply it

2: buy a replacement pad from dao

3: replace the turntable (which is what I did). As it happens, the TT size for the FP7 2012 is just slightly larger than a 45 record, so I got three of those, glued them together, and drilled some screw holes and it works great. I also haven't cut myself on it yet, which is more than I can say about the original

3: replace the turntable (which is what I did). As it happens, the TT size for the FP7 2012 is just slightly larger than a 45 record, so I got three of those, glued them together, and drilled some screw holes and it works great. I also haven't cut myself on it yet, which is more than I can say about the original

I think I need to see photos of this.

Roubjon

I had the same problem. I tried to reglue it and it went dismally, so you have a few options:

1: take dao's advice (don't remember the source) to use a blow dryer to reheat the adhesive and re-apply it

2: buy a replacement pad from dao

I tried the blow dryer thing and it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe i'm not making it hot enough.

If i wanted to replace the pad, would I just buy this thing?

Yuuichi

I tried the blow dryer thing and it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe i'm not making it hot enough.

If i wanted to replace the pad, would I just buy this thing?

There are two sizes, read the description and make sure you get the one that fits. As for the blow dryer thing, just send him an email and he can probably advise you better than me.

And since you asked... (sorry for quality, all I have is my phone)

Fittingly, the song on the top is "I'm on Fire" by 5000 Volts.

I made it by going to a half price book store and buying the three cheapest 45's I could find (cost me like $1.50 total), gluing them together on a centering post with some weight on top, and using the old TT and a countersink to line up the holes to make it fit. I had to get some longer screws as well, but that's just because it's slightly higher than the normal TT. It works great though, I can clear the 12's I'm skilled enough to clear no problem with it.

Top Bottom