• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beatmania IIDX Community Thread: Deluxe Sound Sensation

linid0t

Can anyone explain to me how to... get good at this game? Bear with me here...

I can play other rhythm games alright. While I still had access to arcades, I would constantly be playing jubeat or DDR or reflec beat. Now that I'm in the states I can only really play DDR, which is pretty tiring over the long term. I've got myself the PS2 IIDX controller and a USB adapter, but I feel like I haven't progressed at all! I'm still pretty much just as terrible as I was when I first tried out IIDX in an arcade.

Are there like beginner videos to watch or songs to train on that anyone would recommend? I don't even know the correct way to position my hands on the controller...

This is definitely the hardest game I've ever tried to learn how to play.

I never got particularly good, only up to clearing 10s and a very small handful of 11s so I dunno how useful this advice is but:

The only thing I did was just...play. A lot. Use speed modifiers if you aren't already. I know back in the day some of the DDR community was against it, but for IIDX, speed mods are practically a requirement. Play a lot. Play songs you can beat, improve your score on those, and also play songs slightly above your comfort level.

I don't think anyone has any real training regimen or way to quickly improve. It's just about playing a lot, reaching plateaus, and then one day you play a song you couldn't beat for months and now...you can. Or at least that's my experience.

cj_iwakura

Personally, it helped when I used training mode to slow songs down, then I gradually sped them up. Play songs you love, a lot. My first L7 was Attitude, and I never stopped playing it until I got the patterns down.

Also, what versions are you playing? Don't limit yourself to one style, you need as much variety as possible.

Yuuichi

USB adapters are bad because they add some nonconstant lag which is really bad in IIDX, given that PGreats (the flashing ones) have a two frame (32ms) window on 95% of songs. If you can track down a PS2 version, that should help some.

For your hands, most people do something called "1048" which looks like this (it's more comfortable than it looks)
6eac215b6c.png

Until you're playing more challenging charts (9+) playing a "static" version of that, where you don't lift or move your hand at all, is probably the best way for you to improve. There is no right way to play though, and most advanced players use a dynamic playstyle.

If you need easier charts to play, the genocide bms pack has a begginer chart pack you can download. (site down rn, so here's a wayback link you want the starter package on the top of the page and the beginners package on the bottom)

Other than that, the only things I can suggest are to learn about hi-speed and sudden+ and to practice the hell out of this game. No one gets good at it fast.

source: I'm a really bad 10th dan, but still a 10th dan

Play lots of songs. Find songs you like. Play those songs a lot. Want to play more.

In my experience, the only way you can get good at a tough rhythm game is to really like playing the game. I only first played IIDX about two years ago now, and I didn't improve for a long time because I didn't really have any songs I was attached to, and would only play every so often. When I made an effort to go through all the songs at my skill level, identify the ones I like, and play them daily (though not exclusively those songs of course), improvements happened without me even feeling anything.

Like, there's general advice you can give (as already mentioned, I initially considered speed modifiers scary but they're a big help), but nothing's suddenly going to make you play better. You just have to play a lot and love the game.

I started in the 5-key days and moved my way up really. As a result though I kinda shoehorned myself in where I can only play on the right side *lol* Also I tend to play with one hand on the keys and one hand on the scratch a lot of the time, but whenever I play nowdays I've tried to break myself of that habit.

linid0t

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll check out that dl package soon.

I read somewhere once that playing on random helps with pattern recognition later, is that true? or should I just stick with normal until I get a bit better?

I'm playing on LR2, so using a bunch of different song packs.

Don't have access to the PS2 games, unfortunately. At the price they're going for on ebay, would rather just buy a better controller.

cj_iwakura

I read somewhere once that playing on random helps with pattern recognition later, is that true? or should I just stick with normal until I get a bit better?

Don't have access to the PS2 games, unfortunately. At the price they're going for on ebay, would rather just buy a better controller.

Does LR2 have a slow down tutorial mode? Use that. I think random is messy, but I never used it much. Reminds me of how silly Pump's random mode is.

Yuuichi

Random isn't worth touching until you're clearing at least 7's, and even then it's usefulness is the subject of debate.

The PS2 games aren't as bad as ebay makes them look, you just have to look past ebay or get lucky.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
PS2 IIDXs have limited song rosters, inconsistent timing between styles, and make the assumption that you are playing on a CRT. They are obsolete.

Sai-kun

Banned
God, I miss IIDX so bad :( IIDX RED was my favorite. I wish I could play again but there's zero arcades in my area with it. (There's really zero arcades in general)

I got to play Copula while I was in Japan. I've been out of the arcade loop for a VERY long time, but I was able to adjust quicker then I had thought.

I didn't get to play everything, but I just checked out songs that sounded fun, in my skill level.

linid0t

Wow that finger positioning chart posted above was ridiculously helpful! Just beat a few difficulty 6 song - I was having trouble with 4s before switching up my fingering. I feel like playing songs just a little out of reach is super exhilarating and the fastest way I've improved so far. It's amazing to just get in the zone while playing a song and realize you're doing amazing. Getting wrecked by 7s though.

Can anyone offer any advice regarding speed adjustments? I've seen a bunch of people at the arcade with the top barrier thing lowered so they can't see as high up the chart. Why is that? Also, how do you get the thing that indicates if you're too late or early on a press? Playing on LR2.

Thanks everyone!

Yuuichi

Wow that finger positioning chart posted above was ridiculously helpful! Just beat a few difficulty 6 song - I was having trouble with 4s before switching up my fingering. I feel like playing songs just a little out of reach is super exhilarating and the fastest way I've improved so far. It's amazing to just get in the zone while playing a song and realize you're doing amazing. Getting wrecked by 7s though.

Can anyone offer any advice regarding speed adjustments? I've seen a bunch of people at the arcade with the top barrier thing lowered so they can't see as high up the chart. Why is that? Also, how do you get the thing that indicates if you're too late or early on a press? Playing on LR2.

Thanks everyone!

Speed is 100% a personal preference thing, unfortunately in LR2 your options are a little bit limited. That barrier is an option called "sudden+" and most players (including myself) use it to effectively "shrink" the playfield so that there's less to look at at any given time so you can focus more on a lot less, and then you find a comfortable speed based on that. On a real machine, you can set up something called floating hi-speed where you can adjust the speed to a single numerical value called a "green number" (because it's a number...colored green) that carries over from song to song, so that you automatically get the same exact speed on every song (doesn't stop BPM changes from changing the speed though) which is an incredibly helpful feature. Unfortunately LR2 doesn't really have an analogue to either of these, and you have to adjust both manually at intervals set in the launcher and there's no good way to set up floating. Speaking of features that LR2 doesn't have, the fast slow indicator is arcade only as well.

If you want someone to explain the complicated as hell arcade menu though, that I can do.

Sorry for a really basic question but I just reclaimed my beloved IIDX controller, after graduating moving out of uni I guess I accidentally left it behind, my friend and housemate who doesn't care about IIDX at all valiantly kept hold of it in the dark recesses of his wardrobe since. For 7 years. I finally got back from him and the buttons still feel fine. I remember I used a cereal box to mod the controllers to make the button presses shallower, and feels like it still works great.

I haven't played IIDX since 13 - Distorted or 14 - Gold and my softmodded PS2 is looooong gone so I guess my best bet now is to simply load up the games in PCSX2 emulator - can I buy any old PS2 USB adapter easily these days or is there a specific one you'd recommend? Is it as easy as plug & play, set up the buttons in the emulator and away you go?

Quite curious to see how much has changed since the last... holy shit, 7 games.

Sorry for a really basic question but I just reclaimed my beloved IIDX controller, after graduating moving out of uni I guess I accidentally left it behind, my friend and housemate who doesn't care about IIDX at all valiantly kept hold of it in the dark recesses of his wardrobe since. For 7 years. I finally got back from him and the buttons still feel fine. I remember I used a cereal box to mod the controllers to make the button presses shallower, and feels like it still works great.

I haven't played IIDX since 13 - Distorted or 14 - Gold and my softmodded PS2 is looooong gone so I guess my best bet now is to simply load up the games in PCSX2 emulator - can I buy any old PS2 USB adapter easily these days or is there a specific one you'd recommend? Is it as easy as plug & play, set up the buttons in the emulator and away you go?

Quite curious to see how much has changed since the last... holy shit, 7 games.
9 games - copula is IIDX 23. Unless you're counting up from 16 Empress which is where the home version releases ended.

I don't think the IIDX games would emulate particularly well. I'd get another PS2 or just go with the LR2 route.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
[in] LR2 ... you have to adjust both manually at intervals set in the launcher and there's no good way to set up floating. Speaking of features that LR2 doesn't have, the fast slow indicator is arcade only as well.
Actually, what LR2 offers instead is an option to have the chart scroll at 150 BPM constantly, regardless of what tempo the song is actually at and regardless of any BPM shifts. From there, you can adjust the speed settings as necessary and never touch them again.

LR2 also offers an "auto adjust" timing option which will make adjustments to lag offset on the fly as you play a chart. What I used this for is to play something simple one time, see what value it gives at the end, set the timing offset to that given value as a constant, and try replaying the same chart. Compare results, repeat as necessary.

The former option is the last major feature which I'm hoping to see officially come to IIDX. Mark clears using constant BPM / cmod / whatever as assists or not at all, I don't care. Fuck BPM gimmick bullshit.

Meadow Drone - Just use Lunatic Rave 2. There's no good way to play PS2 IIDXs on anything but a CRT, and emulating the PS2 games certainly won't make the resultant timing issues better. I also recall reading issues of eventual audio/video desync with PS2 IIDX emulation, though that might not be the case by now. Why bother finding out when you can just run with LR2 instead.

Yuuichi

CSpeed is a crutch; there's a reason there a BPM changes to be found in rank courses: it's an integral part of the game. That's why I don't reccomend using it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So, with Bemanistyle in a weird state of flux still, where would be the best place to try to sell some IIDX stuff? I'm thinking of unloading my whole lot of PS2 stuff: a KASC and all Styles from 3-Empress. I need the room, I want to buy a new bike, and I think I'd rather invest in a Dao and mess with emulators so I can play on my big TV. Zenius-I-Vanisher? Are there any other places? If someone here is interested by all means send me a PM.

So, with Bemanistyle in a weird state of flux still, where would be the best place to try to sell some IIDX stuff? I'm thinking of unloading my whole lot of PS2 stuff: a KASC and all Styles from 3-Empress. I need the room, I want to buy a new bike, and I think I'd rather invest in a Dao and mess with emulators so I can play on my big TV. Zenius-I-Vanisher? Are there any other places? If someone here is interested by all means send me a PM.

Besides the Buy/Sell/Trade thread here, you might find buyers in this Facebook group. You probably need an invite, but I can throw you one if you PM me a link to your Fb profile.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
CSpeed is a crutch
Once upon a time, you weren't allowed to change the speed settings in the middle of a song. Hell, as a consequence, you couldn't even change speed settings between songs of an Expert Course.

Is engaging in this activity a crutch now? I don't think so. More importantly, Konami doesn't think so.

Rules change.

Lambtron: I'd say zenius, yeah.

Once upon a time, you weren't allowed to change the speed settings in the middle of a song. Hell, as a consequence, you couldn't even change speed settings between songs of an Expert Course.

Is engaging in this activity a crutch now? I don't think so. More importantly, Konami doesn't think so.

Rules change.

You still have to change your speed manually, which is considered part of the game. There was also a hidden option to scroll a fixed BPM in IIDX GOLD (it's, in fact, what LR2's behavior is based on) but it invalidated your score if you used it. I think that makes Konami's stance on the matter clear.

As someone who regularly has nightmares about Black Emperor's [EXH] bpm gimmicks, I request you rescind your inclusion of SDVX on this list.

Didn't realize, fixed. I got enough use out of SDVX's auto high speed setting that I thought it had no BPM changes, oops

Yuuichi

Rules change.

Sure, the game was modernized and that lifted some challenge, but early styles also didn't have 2000 note songs.

I'll believe it's not a crutch if you can find a video of someone playing ICARUS [SPA] and manually adjusting their hi-speed with every single speed change, since that's what you're advocating for and saying is equivalent in difficulty.

I'm not sure what your skill level is at the game, but once you hit 11+ there's almost zero room for error when it comes to resetting your float on the fly; the fastest option, start + TT requires two hands and moves your sudden+ which can throw off your timing, and the slower option requires hitting the start button four times in a row, which is safer and only takes one hand, but is significantly slower.

on a tangent, the BPM changes in DM are super bizarre: the scroll speed doesn't change but you can see the measure scaling in the background change, and in some ways it's harder than the scroll speed not changing since you have to change your mental metronome on the fly (I'm like a 7.50 player, so take that how you will)

linid0t

Playing around with the speed on LR2 has helped me improve a lot!
Managed to clear a level 7 song - Element of SPADA. Wow, what a rush! I was totally in the zone - it felt like my fingers were just pressing the right keys without me having to think ahead. The increased spacing helped me read the chart much better. Haven't felt that engaged in a game for a while.

Some more questions:
For hold notes, does it matter when I let go? Some games care, some don't, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter on iidx but might as well ask. Is it different for the hold turntable notes?

If I were to upgrade to a proper full sized controller, would the FP7 be a good choice? Or is it worth spending extra to get one of the even more expensive and large controllers?

Kumubou

Some more questions:
For hold notes, does it matter when I let go? Some games care, some don't, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter on iidx but might as well ask. Is it different for the hold turntable notes?

If I were to upgrade to a proper full sized controller, would the FP7 be a good choice? Or is it worth spending extra to get one of the even more expensive and large controllers?
It does matter when you let go of hold notes -- you'll get a miss if you let go too early. The release window is pretty forgiving, though. If you ever get to play the current version (Copula), be careful as some charts have Hell Charge Notes, which will continuously drain your groove gauge if you let go too early (but they also give meter as well when properly held, and you can pick them back up to avoid the meter loss).

The FP7 is fine for a controller. If you have some money to burn, you're better off upgrading the switches and buttons used in the controller to Omron switches and Sanwa buttons. (Although you can make that upgrade later, if you want.)

cj_iwakura

How much does Copula dominate Japanese arcades right now? I assume it has everything I've missed from the last, oh, six versions?

I plan on going in the Spring.

Kumubou

How much does Copula dominate Japanese arcades right now? I assume it has everything I've missed from the last, oh, six versions?

I plan on going in the Spring.
e-amusement uses a Games as a Service model, so the vast majority of IIDX cabinets in Japan are going to be running Copula. They have nearly everything from the last several versions minus some fringe options getting cut (like All-Scratch and Gambol Timing) and some songs being cut. Be aware that with Copula, event unlocks stay locked for one additional version now. So you're not going to be able to play any of the event songs from Pendual on a new account without using a rainbow pass (and it still doesn't unlock the SDVX and Beatstream crossover songs).

Has anyone been to Arcade UFO? Is it hard to consistently play Pop'n or IIDX in or too busy?

Whenever I've gone I've easily been able to get a few games in, but that's because I go in the early afternoon right when it opens. YMMV in the later evening.

Whenever I've gone I've easily been able to get a few games in, but that's because I go in the early afternoon right when it opens. YMMV in the later evening.
I have an emuse card from Sunnyvale Golfland. Do you know if it work everywhere or are they running a local server?

That I'm not sure of anymore, it's been a while since I've last been up there. Last time I went it was a local server.

That server is long gone after a C/D by Konami. I'm not sure if the card can be re-used on a real Konami account.

Copula is 30 minutes away and I haven't been to play it in months. Just not that excited about the new songs.

Welp, I bought a DJ Dao FP7 (taking advantage of their US Warehouse stock). It's been almost a decade since i've been down this rabbit hole. I have 2 USKOCs and used to have an ASC, but it never felt close enough to the arcade for me. The USKOCs are a nightmare of delay on the PC, so I think I might end up selling them to recoup the cost of the FP7.

I'm not sure if I should bother with my CS releases since my PS2 is with my family 2k miles away. Maybe i'll try to get LR2 set up since i've seen it praised pretty highly here.

That server is long gone after a C/D by Konami. I'm not sure if the card can be re-used on a real Konami account.

Copula is 30 minutes away and I haven't been to play it in months. Just not that excited about the new songs.

Cards that have been used on the servers that are now gone can still be used on a real Konami account with no issues. Have done so myself.

TL21xx

Banned
UFO regular here, getting time on the machines is completely based off of when you go. It's hardest on weekend evenings, but outside of that, it's not bad at all. We have a pretty active community, so stop by and say hi!

They don't have card support anymore, so keep that in mind for modifiers and whatnot.

UFO regular here, getting time on the machines is completely based off of when you go. It's hardest on weekend evenings, but outside of that, it's not bad at all. We have a pretty active community, so stop by and say hi!

They don't have card support anymore, so keep that in mind for modifiers and whatnot.

Next time I come up will probably be during Classic Game Fest. I hardly get to go up to Austin these days, especially now that I have the kiddos. That and now I'm so out of practice I'll just be awful at it :/ I tried going back to 5-key and even there I've lost my touch -_-

Is anyone playing Infinitas from the US? I can't find a guide on how to set it up. It looks like I need to set up a BitCash, Konami ID and Paseli account?

Awesome. I'm planning on stopping by once i'm not so rusty. I used to be able to clear 9/10s, but right now i'm around 6/7. I'm hoping the Dao will help a bit since i'm used to the arcade and hate the USKOC buttons.

Is anyone playing Infinitas from the US? I can't find a guide on how to set it up. It looks like I need to set up a BitCash, Konami ID and Paseli account?
Basically correct, though your Konami ID is your Paseli account. Just make sure to make a Japanese account as Paseli features are disabled in other regions. Bitcash is simply the most convenient means of recharging your Paseli balance outside of Japan.

I'll try to clarify this a bit more when I'm not in a work crunch.

7Bhz0XPl.jpg

It's soooooo good. Instantly went from failing 5s and 6s on my USKOC to getting Bs on 6s and 7s and even clearing 8s. I was even able to turn off my timing offset completely (+0.4 to 0)

I also ordered some Omron 50gs, but the Dao switches/keys are not that bad. The turn table does get stuck sometimes because it's not a perfect circle, but some sand paper should fix that without much work. The bottom is also only held on by magnets which makes working on it super simple.

The latest beta FW (1.12) gives the ability to make the select button act as 2 different buttons or hold both of them down. Basically, it's a VEFX button, Effect button or both. You can also turn it into a keyboard with a key combination to make it natively compatible with Infinitas (no need for Joy2Key)

So yeah, I love it. I can't wait to get back to clearing 9s and 10s.

Edit: I removed the TT and adjusted the metal ring around it. No more rubbing!

cj_iwakura

Lincle is truly everywhere. Competition is absolutely brutal. I feel like an idiot playing level 5s here. Taito Station in Kabukicho has more beatmanias than all the US.
five cabinets.

Lincle is truly everywhere. Competition is absolutely brutal. I feel like an idiot playing level 5s here. Taito Station in Kabukicho has more beatmanias than all the US.
five cabinets.
beatmania or beatmania IIDX? There are far more than five IIDX cabinets in the US.

The IIDX situation in the US seems better than it ever has been. There are certainly dead spots like Florida though. Luckily I just moved to Austin and there is one here and a few in Dallas.

Top Bottom