• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beatmania IIDX Community Thread: Deluxe Sound Sensation

cj_iwakura

CvqNBV-UkAA7riT.jpg

Seeing them pass the songs I want is torture.

boy this sure has been a stealthy ninja stream

new y&co is cool like always. not feeling the noria track as much as i'd hoped but it's extremely cool they got her back for a song. licenses seem solid.

still eager to hear the p*light, hige driver and ryu+moimoi

Feels like the overall quality of everything, from the music to the videos and such went way up for Sinobuz.

Also, DA wins the style again

QGr26cV.gif

This release was done through an update. I would assume they should all have it by now. Assuming R1 buys IIDX upgrades in bulk.

The marquee stuff is in the mail and still showed Capula at my location.
There is no "buying" an upgrade. IIDX is IIDX. All machines connected to Konami's network had the update forced on them. They staggered the update delivery a bit, but every machine was done within a day it seems.

Previous updates were shipped physically for whatever reason. This is the first update where the software was delivered entirely via network.

cj_iwakura

There is no "buying" an update. All machines connected to Konami's network had the update forced on them. They staggered the update delivery a bit, but every machine was done within a day it seems.

Previous updates were shipped physically for whatever reason. This is the first update where the software was delivered entirely via network.

So... they're charged automatically?

cj_iwakura

No charge above what it costs to operate a IIDX machine in the first place from what I understand. (I believe the cost is a monthly subscription and/or a portion of all credits.)

Doesn't sound bad if it's a reasonable price. Andamiro charges a few thousand for Pump It Up upgrades, maybe because they come on hard drives. Not sure if they're changing that model for Prime 2, since Prime had tons of digital upgrades.

This release was done through an update. I would assume they should all have it by now. Assuming R1 buys IIDX upgrades in bulk.

The marquee stuff is in the mail and still showed Capula at my location.
Nice. I might hit up the Puente Hills location tomorrow.

This upgrade talks reminds me I need to sell my IIDX Red HDD, Dongle and Marquee still.

I just got my Virgoo PortableDX in! After trying it out on some LR2 I'm reaaaaally loving it so far. Went from doing low 8s at best with a US KOC to passing some 10s (though that's partially attributed to having improved in rhythm games all-around since last playing), and I'm enjoying it so much more.

First of all, I'm suuuper into the clean white look it has going on, I think it's great. Buttons feel pretty much the same as the cab's (the Sanwa ones I got, at least), but the turntable seems to have more resistance (but it's also more sensitive than the cabs I've used so it's not like scratches are difficult to do). As someone who both doesn't have a ton of experience with IIDX and hates tinkering, being able to swap between 1P and 2P so easily so I can experiment with both is fantastic. Did have a bit of a scare at first with some of the button cables getting unplugged as I tried to switch sides, but it thankfully ended up being simple enough to fix, even as someone who has absolutely zero experience messing with that kind of wiring.

So yeah, as my first ASC, I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase and it totally has me wanting to play IIDX more often.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Hey guys, really quick & simple question here for folks living in Japan.

I've just booked a trip to Osaka and obviously will be playing a ton of IIDX while I'm there. Do IIDX machines still take 100 yen coins, or do I have to try and sign up for Paseli?

I assume getting & setting up an eAmusement card to keep track of my scores / keep as a souvenir is fairly easy?

cj_iwakura

I've just booked a trip to Osaka and obviously will be playing a ton of IIDX while I'm there. Do IIDX machines still take 100 yen coins, or do I have to try and sign up for Paseli?

I assume getting & setting up an eAmusement card to keep track of my scores / keep as a souvenir is fairly easy?
Copula took 100y coins when I went last year. I think all cabs do.

Yuuichi

I'll echo the above, but I recommend getting a card and using paseli (some arcades should have a machine where you put money in and it adds paseil to your card) if you're a decent player because you can't get extra stage without it.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'll echo the above, but I recommend getting a card and using paseli (some arcades should have a machine where you put money in and it adds paseil to your card) if you're a decent player because you can't get extra stage without it.

I'll definitely get a card to keep track of my scores. It looks like there's pretty decent guides to getting both eAmusement and Paseli set up on RemyWiki so I think I'm all set. Thanks both!

I just got my Virgoo PortableDX in! After trying it out on some LR2 I'm reaaaaally loving it so far. Went from doing low 8s at best with a US KOC to passing some 10s (though that's partially attributed to having improved in rhythm games all-around since last playing), and I'm enjoying it so much more.

First of all, I'm suuuper into the clean white look it has going on, I think it's great. Buttons feel pretty much the same as the cab's (the Sanwa ones I got, at least), but the turntable seems to have more resistance (but it's also more sensitive than the cabs I've used so it's not like scratches are difficult to do). As someone who both doesn't have a ton of experience with IIDX and hates tinkering, being able to swap between 1P and 2P so easily so I can experiment with both is fantastic. Did have a bit of a scare at first with some of the button cables getting unplugged as I tried to switch sides, but it thankfully ended up being simple enough to fix, even as someone who has absolutely zero experience messing with that kind of wiring.

So yeah, as my first ASC, I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase and it totally has me wanting to play IIDX more often.

Thanks for the review
I've seen that logo on some player's controllers, but wasn't sure what it was.
I keep having issues with my KASC with a pelican PS2 to USB adapter in Infinitas and such, so I've been mulling how to proceed with an alternative, go Virgoo, DJ DAO, or eat the second hand markup on a Konami Premium Controller...

b4mv

Banned
Thanks for the review
I've seen that logo on some player's controllers, but wasn't sure what it was.
I keep having issues with my KASC with a pelican PS2 to USB adapter in Infinitas and such, so I've been mulling how to proceed with an alternative, go Virgoo, DJ DAO, or eat the second hand markup on a Konami Premium Controller...

Don't go with the Konami Premium. From the reviews I've read, they're expensive, and also don't compate to Virgoo/Dao.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's no way to get into IIDX without spending a lot of cash, is there? :x
Considering you're gonna have to most likely import a controller (& the games) at this rate, yes. From what I've heard, the US controller was a bit better because of the disc, which I don't think is as hard to find nor as expensive, but I'm sure someone here can explain that better.

Doesn't help since the games are now out of print, some can be a bit pricey. A few older ones aren't too bad if you look around, but Empress, the one that has a 2nd disc with 99 songs from the previous games & thus is the best value because you get a total of 198 songs, can go for over $150+.

I know they released a PC version last year, but I have no idea as to how one could get it.

Edit: & while I got into Beatmania thanks to the US version, most fans would say that the game we got isn't really good when compared to what Japan got.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's a good start. Getting your PS2 to play JPN games is probably the cheapest part (I think it didn't even cost me $20 & 5 minutes of swapping the lids on my slip PS2 to make it play the game).

eBay might be your best bet at this rate. The US controller has a rounded end near the disc, where as I think the JPN one is squared.

Your best bet might be to nab this sealed bundle on eBay for $50 (edit: Whoops, didn't see the $20 shipping, but $70 total is still probably cheap in comparison to what I'm finding) & at the very least, you'll have a controller in very good condition & while not the best game in the series, would let you see if you want to bother with importing.

I'll also say this, this is a series where it takes a very long time & tooonnssss of practice to get good at it. One tip you'll learn when you get to the harder difficulty stuff is to use your pinky finger to make quick scratches so you can keep your other fingers free. If you try to use your whole hand, it's just going to make things harder because you'll have to get your hand back in position, which is almost impossible when you play the more difficult songs.

Soulflarz

Banned
That's a good start. Getting your PS2 to play JPN games is probably the cheapest part (I think it didn't even cost me $20 & 5 minutes of swapping the lids on my slip PS2 to make it play the game).

eBay might be your best bet at this rate. The US controller has a rounded end near the disc, where as I think the JPN one is squared.

Your best bet might be to nab this sealed bundle on eBay for $50 (edit: Whoops, didn't see the $20 shipping, but $70 total is still probably cheap in comparison to what I'm finding) & at the very least, you'll have a controller in very good condition & while not the best game in the series, would let you see if you want to bother with importing.

I'll also say this, this is a series where it takes a very long time & tooonnssss of practice to get good at it. One tip you'll learn when you get to the harder difficulty stuff is to use your pinky finger to make quick scratches so you can keep your other fingers free. If you try to use your whole hand, it's just going to make things harder because you'll have to get your hand back in position, which is almost impossible when you play the more difficult songs.

any second takes on this?
hm.
hmm
THINKING

oh
it sold out
I wonder how that happened.

guy keeps arguing he wants me to pick it up instead of ship since he lives by me

fmllll
IM LEAVING FOR COLLEGE PLS STOP
He better be not charging you for shipping in that case.

But if you live in the Chicago area, then I think just going to Round1 is a better idea than trying to make a PS2 version work on an LCD TV.

Soulflarz

Banned
He better be not charging you for shipping in that case.

But if you live in the Chicago area, then I think just going to Round1 is a better idea than trying to make a PS2 version work on an LCD TV.

I'm buying a crt this winter break for melee anyways, and I won't get it until I come back after the semester anyways, s-so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also north shore (well, ish, legally in chicago but as north as you can get and say that) X_X
I've been to round one 3x this break but...damn...40m drive each way isn't the best tbh.

Also-- would you suggest playing the beatmania it comes with, or no because of awful setlist or w/e?

Fancolors

Been playing IIDX occasionally for about 8 months. I got to clearing 8s and some 9s consistently in 3 months, but I feel I hit a wall going to 10s. No matter what I do I can't seem to improve .-.

I'm buying a crt this winter break for melee anyways, and I won't get it until I come back after the semester anyways, s-so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

also north shore (well, ish, legally in chicago but as north as you can get and say that) X_X
I've been to round one 3x this break but...damn...40m drive each way isn't the best tbh.

Also-- would you suggest playing the beatmania it comes with, or no because of awful setlist or w/e?
The closest Round1 to me is currently an eight hour drive, and although one is opening much closer to me, it still will be a two hour drive for me to get to the new one. I'm currently doing an hour drive to either D&B for DDR A or to the arcade hosting my pop'n machine and friend's IIDX machine. 40 minutes sounds pretty good to me.

beatmania US is fine, honestly. It's a pretty good mix of Konami originals and works as a starter. Nothing wrong with playing it and just getting more as you find/can afford them.

Soulflarz

Banned
The closest Round1 to me is currently an eight hour drive, and although one is opening much closer to me, it still will be a two hour drive for me to get to the new one. I'm currently doing an hour drive to either D&B for DDR A or to the arcade hosting my pop'n machine and friend's IIDX machine. 40 minutes sounds pretty good to me.

beatmania US is fine, honestly. It's a pretty good mix of Konami originals and works as a starter. Nothing wrong with playing it and just getting more as you find/can afford them.

Obv just visit me and we can waste away a few days straight at r1 :v

But yeah 40m is still pretty bad though when I'm stuck between houses and such-- wouldnt be able to learn the game at the least due to time constraints that 1.5hr a time makes a lot worse.

Owcch, that sucks though. I don't play DDR for my life- it always looked too slow. Very casually played ITG at my college instead, can do 8s or such still I hope. Maybe I just need to up the speed for ddr, hm.

cj_iwakura

I think the biggest problem with US is that it's hard to break into 7s and up. Outside of Attitude, there aren't many options. The wall gets high fast.

Yuuichi

So speaking of Infinitas how's it doing?

Bad. Like, you have to pay to play the daninintei courses bad.

On the bright side I got to make it out and really play AC for a day or two, and lamped the sinobuzz another folder. Still missing some event songs, but only missing two clears from what I have, Sarutobi and
HADES
. Good times. Still wish the arcade wasn't a three hour drive each way.

Soulflarz

Banned
*came back from college*
*no controller*

he legit didn't ship because I live close
are you fucking kidding me
(id legit rather pay $20 shipping to not deal with broken english and asking me to meet them :V)

Soulflarz

Banned
$15 partial refund

ebay refunded aprice error and gave me $20 gift card thing a month ago so

$55-$20 free from ebay
$35 (or $55 if you didn't have that option) for a sealed iidx controller

that's a fucking good price right

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One of these days, I need to fix my IIDX controller. It still works, but because I was a dumb teen, I wrapped the wire in a way that where the wire connects to the controller has been worn down & been using electrical tape to try & fix it.

Heck, I still need to figure out a set up for my HDTV since I don't have the TV tray I used to use, plus I used to sit only about 2 feet away from when I originally played beatmania (& drummania, guitar freaks, & pop'n music), but now I'm further away and fear my controller won't reach my couch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Every time I think to myself of checking out the song lists for 17 & beyond, I remind myself if I find something I really like (Gradius 2012 for example), I'm saddened by the fact I won't actually be able to play the song.

Top Bottom