• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been replaying MGSV lately... Man, it's so good! (Also: Your favorite weapons?)

I remember going into this game with no expectation of getting most of the achievements but I actually did. I didn't use D-dog through my whole playthrough but found he was so good after I lost
Quiet
and having to try so many different weapon combinations for the side ops was really satisfying, The gameplay is so damn good and I played it on Xbox 360 - I plan on buying it for Xbox One soon and doing it all again really.

Javin98

Banned
So this is badass: I got past the Sniper Skulls on Extreme by driving a tank straight through the forest, lol. Then when I got to the denser part, I abandoned the tank and ran.

On the way out, with Code Talker in tow, I landed my chopper on the north end. I then just ran past the puppets and snipers.

I think I might actually be able to s-rank it using this strategy. I just need to avoid killing people once I'm at the mansion.
Yeah, just avoiding the snipers is the easiest way to S rank the mission. If you successfully give them the slip, when you're on the way out of the mansion after meeting Code Talker, all the soldiers will turn into puppets and you can just run past all of them. Just remember to be alert of the sniper at the end before reaching the chopper. If you manage to get past all of them undetected, S rank is guaranteed. It's much easier than taking out the snipers. If you do take them out, you have to sneak out of the mansion as the soldiers will remain human and spot you much easier.

Also, I'm sure you're aware of the "safe" passage at the waterfall you can take at the start of the mission to bypass the snipers completely.

Neiteio

Yeah, just avoiding the snipers is the easiest way to S rank the mission. If you successfully give them the slip, when you're on the way out of the mansion after meeting Code Talker, all the soldiers will turn into puppets and you can just run past all of them. Just remember to be alert of the sniper at the end before reaching the chopper. If you manage to get past all of them undetected, S rank is guaranteed. It's much easier than taking out the snipers. If you do take them out, you have to sneak out of the mansion as the soldiers will remain human and spot you much easier.

Also, I'm sure you're aware of the "safe" passage at the waterfall you can take at the start of the mission to bypass the snipers completely.
I just tried the climb up the crack near the waterfall -- it's perfect! Brought me into the jungle where I just crouch-walked the rest of the way.

Javin98

Banned
I just tried the climb up the crack near the waterfall -- it's perfect! Brought me into the jungle where I just crouch-walked the rest of the way.
Yep, that's the one! Pretty much the easiest solution by far to stealth through the whole thing. At the mansion, just sneak your way to the back and you'll be pretty close to Code Talker already. Also, you can always restart if you get spotted. After that, it's just a piece of cake.

If you have the time to do it, I suggest you go back and S rank every single mission. I did it and while it can be pretty frustrating at times, you will find new ways to tackle the missions.

Hypron

Any tips for Code Talker Extreme? Trying to beat it without buddies. Snipers are so strong (OHKO)!

Do the first half of the mission with a tank haha. Use an actual tank if you want to kill them all, otherwise use one of those armoured transport vehicles and simply rush through that area (you save so much time that it doesn't really matter if you get spotted). Once you're in the forest you're home free. The way back is fairly easy if you left at least one of the Skulls alive (you can quite easily avoid them all). It gets a fair bit harder if you kill them all and have to deal with all those soldiers, though.

I used those techniques to S-rank the mission and complete the optional objectives. It's just not worth the hassle risking getting 1HKO'd on Extreme IMHO.

Edit: whoops, I was still reading the last page when typing this reply so I didn't see your last messages haha.

Neiteio

I just s-ranked Code Talker Extreme just now. Might post video later. Here's what I did:

- Crawl down righthand bank of river, past the Sniper Skulls
- At waterfall, crawl across river and climb up series of wall cracks closest to falls
- Crouch-walk along cliffs and then proceed leftward across jungle
- Approach mansion from left side; snipe guard near turret with tranq
- Climb up to the mansion grounds and crawl around to the back
- Tranq both guards at backdoor, then enter lobby and turn left
- Follow hall into cellar to reach Code Talker, then retrace your steps
- Call chopper to northern LZ, then run past puppets in lobby
- Sprint north to LZ, weaving past puppets and snipers
- Voila! S-RANK!

LoveCake

Mother Base is never robbed. Just your FOB. That being said, I've yet to be robbed. Instead I've received all kinds of rewards just for playing single-player!

Yes sorry, I meant the FOB, I stopped playing the mission before you have to build a FOB that was just after that Micro-Transaction insurance protection racket was set-up by Konami.

Your offline resources never go anywhere and your online resources get refilled over time by automatic fob generation while playing. the nuke wars are still going on so bases still get robbed. The problem with nukes is that the ability to blockade and refill your nukes before the blockade wears off means that as little as 100 people can keep 1600 nukes going and preventing the ps4 from ever reaching disarmament and there's nothing anyone can do about it no matter how many perfect nuke disarms they perform. (The blockade system isn't balanced and heavily favors the defender) That's why nuclear disarmament hasn't happened yet. one person could prevent it from happening because automatic blockades keep you from losing all your nukes no matter what. I'm not sure if it would even help if everyone dogpiled on the nukes tab. It sounds like there's just some balance issues with the meta-game.

Nuke wars?!

Can I not just have stuff on the FOB's and keep it all at Mother Base?

Javin98

Banned
Thanks to this damn thread, I just spent 7 hours today playing MGSV. Damn you, Neiteio! :p

On a more serious note, I was replaying certain missions and I still can't fathom how so many on GAF can call the level and mission designs poor and uninspired. If anything, the level designs are decent at worst, a few are amazing and the mission designs are above any other game in the genre. I guess it's human nature to blame oneself's lack of creativity and perseverance. I really hope a few years down the line this game will be seen in a much more positive light on GAF.

Revan

So I restarted this last night thanks to this thread.

My loadout is nothing more then the basic WU (tranq), first level ARMS-4, basic Renov Sniper (no silencer), hand grenades, first level C4 and basic Fulton. The 2 upgrades I've allowed myself is the MGS3 Sneaking Suit and the bionic arms mobility.

It's a fucking blast to play.

I had a hell of a time with Red Brass, Occupation Forces and am currently caught in battle with Quiet - playing with the basics is very intense and really requires focus. I was playing with markers off but you lose everything else too when you turn that off (waypoints, objectives).

I'm going to try and play the entire game like this - nothing but basic first level weapons (I need a rocket launcher for backup, back down - I was considering the cargo Fulton but fuck it - I never used tanks anyway).

LoveCake

I have the PS4 Limited Edition, but traded it in, if I buy the normal version (disc) will it work with my current save game?

JackelZXA

Yes sorry, I meant the FOB, I stopped playing the mission before you have to build a FOB that was just after that Micro-Transaction insurance protection racket was set-up by Konami.

Nuke wars?!

Can I not just have stuff on the FOB's and keep it all at Mother Base?

I have the PS4 Limited Edition, but traded it in, if I buy the normal version (disc) will it work with my current save game?

FOB's generate online resources and those online resources can be used to build offline stuff while also being up for grabs to invaders. If you don't want to risk your staff you can take them off of the Security team, although the security team allows you to build certain items at high levels. (not just security gear)

For the most part what you grab while you're out in missions is going to go to your main mother base, fob's and getting robbed doesn't really effect your game that much, and you're never going to lose offline resources. The materials fob's generate by you just being connected to the internet more than make up for anything you may lose.

After completing Mission 31 players can develop or capture nukes and disarm them. The nukes are logged in the server and when all the nukes are disarmed a special event takes place in the game. (We've seen the nuclear disarmament cutscene, but datamining has uncovered that there are flags to pull something from the server after Disarmament is achieved, and it seems like once it occurs, the cutscene and whatever is tied to it might be permanently unlocked on that platform for players that clear mission 31...)

Yes the digital version is the same thing.

Neiteio

Man, I'm still high off s-ranking Code Talker Extreme. The mission went from being nearly impossible when I attempted to fight the snipers in the woods, to being perfectly doable (and super-cinematic) when I crawled past them downriver, and climbed the walls near the waterfall to reach the mansion. I'm so glad you guys pointed out this shortcut!

The experience cements Code Talker as one of my favorite missions, alongside Pitch Dark. There are just so many ways to approach them.

I think I want to revisit Hellbound next, but I'm terrified of the part where you have to hide from Sahelanthropus, lol.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Decided to do the reunion, then I'm going to go back to some old missions. I did love MGSV, even if the story wasn't up to par.

Shame about the lost GMP but she's worth her weight in gold.

LoveCake

FOB's generate online resources and those online resources can be used to build offline stuff while also being up for grabs to invaders. If you don't want to risk your staff you can take them off of the Security team, although the security team allows you to build certain items at high levels. (not just security gear)

For the most part what you grab while you're out in missions is going to go to your main mother base, fob's and getting robbed doesn't really effect your game that much, and you're never going to lose offline resources. The materials fob's generate by you just being connected to the internet more than make up for anything you may lose.

After completing Mission 31 players can develop or capture nukes and disarm them. The nukes are logged in the server and when all the nukes are disarmed a special event takes place in the game. (We've seen the nuclear disarmament cutscene, but datamining has uncovered that there are flags to pull something from the server after Disarmament is achieved, and it seems like once it occurs, the cutscene and whatever is tied to it might be permanently unlocked on that platform for players that clear mission 31...)

Yes the digital version is the same thing.

Ok thanks for the info, I will see how cheap I can pick it back up.

Wondering if I should just restart the whole damn game again or keep going through old missions.
It's hard to fully restart because the game will always access your online Resources... online resources (and your FOB) are tied to your PSN account. so depending on how rich your Mother Base was, you won't be starting from scratch.

that said, I just made a second PS4 user account and started a fun side file that way.... kinda fun to have fulton-ing mean something again and not have access to a lot of stronger tools. game is at its best when you're kinda 'starving' so to speak, grounded and 'subsisting' on what few resources you have

Javin98

Banned
I think I want to revisit Hellbound next, but I'm terrified of the part where you have to hide from Sahelanthropus, lol.
This reminds me, I was just replaying this mission yesterday and it was hilarious. I ran in between Sahelantrophus's legs, it stomped at first, causing a tremor which knocked Snake and DD down. I just continued running anyway and the whole time Sahelantrophus just couldn't find me. He went looking all over the place, sometimes extremely far away from Snake. Hell, I even ran back to the base to collect the poster I forgot and ran back to the chopper without being spotted. Maybe Psycho Mantis was drunk? :p

Ame

It's hard to fully restart because the game will always access your online Resources... online resources (and your FOB) are tied to your PSN account. so depending on how rich your Mother Base was, you won't be starting from scratch.

that said, I just made a second PS4 user account and started a fun side file that way.... kinda fun to have fulton-ing mean something again and not have access to a lot of stronger tools. game is at its best when you're kinda 'starving' so to speak, grounded and 'subsisting' on what few resources you have

I really wish MGSV had a new game plus. Everything including your mother base/resources would carry over.

Yeah, in general the game has a lot of missed opportunities in how it 'presents' or gives you access to its content:

No proper New Game or New Game+; no New Game modes with additional options (e.g. Subsistence or Extreme for the entire game, including special rewards for finishing that way); the way the game makes Extreme or Subsistence missions separate missions instead of just letting us turn on Total Stealth, Subsistence, Extreme for any Mission; the way it labels Chapter 2: I know it's a Peace Walker CH5 reference but that had five chapters... TPP could have saved some trouble just calling it an Epilogue); even the way it presents Side Ops: should have just been 'random world events' that don't appear on the map; had you just randomly stumbled upon them rather than following a waypoint/trying to ding them I think they'd have been more appreciated; et cetera.

A lot of small changes to how you start the game, missions, choose settings, find missions or side ops, etc could have went a long way.... the player can still get much of the effect from their own self enforced constraints but it's not the same had they been in the game from the start since constraints aren't a solution most people will bother with.

Black_Wolf

Neo Member
I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't like this game as much. Not terrible, but definitely not the flawless 10/10 I keep seeing.

Don't get me wrong - mechanically, everything that needs to be there is there. The gameplay is fun, both stealth and action . . . but that's about it.

Cliffnotes version of my gripes:

1. Practically nonexistent main story.
  2. Copy-paste missions with almost no context. Seriously, any other game would have gotten flack for this - even games like Witcher 3 that do it to a much less extent got flack for it. I'm amazed this game didn't.
  3. "Open-world" only exists to artificially extend gameplay time. Most of the time, you can't walk 30 feet in either direction without bumping into a conveniently placed mountain blocking your objective and there isn't anything in the world to make traveling it any fun (discussed below).
  4. World is sparsely populated and feels very stagnant. Yes, its a desert, but why not show more of the supposed warring factions in the area? More wildlife?
It basically feels like Far Cry with better gameplay but a less involved open world. I felt like this game would have been better served having several "smaller" open worlds, each around the size of Ground Zeros rather than what we got here. That would have given us more diversity without forcing the player to traverse through lifeless terrain.

I can't help but feel like I'm missing something, especially considering this game has been getting 90+ across the board on practically every site. I've kept coming back, and yes, when I get to an enemy base, it's fun. The lack of context or any real driving force throughout, though, makes it feel like a chore to me, and the dead world I have to trudge through to get to a point of interest doesn't help either.

I always saw the open world less like Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, or Witcher, and more like ARMA or classic PC shooters like Delta Force or Ghost Recon.

The space is there for tactical approaching and scouting.

It is a sort of logistical time sink but I never felt like it was there just to extend playtime... the game doesn't need that per se. It's already a long game, with more blatant time sinks that extended the game length (e.g. Mother Base upgrades) much more than travel time ever would -- especially since you get access a jeep barely a couple missions into the game. I never really spent all that much time traveling outside of free roam except for maybe... one or two missions (6 and 12-13... or 11-12. The Bees, and Hellbound and Pitch Black).

That said, game definitely could have used more life... actually, if you watch one of the earlier trailers, the world and Mother Base have more trucks, patrols, helicopters on screen doing things at once. So I wonder if part of the reason for the absence was that it was the only way to achieve the target frame rate... Since I don't think more patrols and trucks, especially since the demo appeared to show them already in the game at least around central Afghanistan (where you rescue Kaz) at one point, would have been that hard to add and yet they'd have aesthetically livened up the world a lot -- and made the logistics of tactical approach and scouting even more important.

JackelZXA

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't like this game as much. Not terrible, but definitely not the flawless 10/10 I keep seeing.

Don't get me wrong - mechanically, everything that needs to be there is there. The gameplay is fun, both stealth and action . . . but that's about it.

Cliffnotes version of my gripes:

1. Practically nonexistent main story.
  2. Copy-paste missions with almost no context. Seriously, any other game would have gotten flack for this - even games like Witcher 3 that do it to a much less extent got flack for it. I'm amazed this game didn't.
  3. "Open-world" only exists to artificially extend gameplay time. Most of the time, you can't walk 30 feet in either direction without bumping into a conveniently placed mountain blocking your objective and there isn't anything in the world to make traveling it any fun (discussed below).
  4. World is sparsely populated and feels very stagnant. Yes, its a desert, but why not show more of the supposed warring factions in the area? More wildlife?
It basically feels like Far Cry with better gameplay but a less involved open world. I felt like this game would have been better served having several "smaller" open worlds, each around the size of Ground Zeros rather than what we got here. That would have given us more diversity without forcing the player to traverse through lifeless terrain.

I can't help but feel like I'm missing something, especially considering this game has been getting 90+ across the board on practically every site. I've kept coming back, and yes, when I get to an enemy base, it's fun. The lack of context or any real driving force throughout, though, makes it feel like a chore to me, and the dead world I have to trudge through to get to a point of interest doesn't help either.

Africa is much more open than Afghanistan, but I like the diversity between the two maps. (Would have loved a third with a snowy theme)

The Copy-Paste missions are optional challenges that you don't need to complete to progress to chapter 2.

Story really kicks in for Chapter 2 and towards the end of Chapter 1. There are ways to accelerate the pace of the game and trigger more optional cutscenes that add to the characters of Venom and Ocelot.

There's a mod for PC called infinite heaven that allows you to add more stuff to the open world such as escort convoys, random skull attacks, and I believe stuff like activating all the land mines in the map at once from the land mines side ops.

I always saw the open world less like Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, or Witcher, and more like ARMA or classic PC shooters like Delta Force or Ghost Recon.

rmde when people say MGSV has cut and paste level design. i don't think so. not compared to Far Cry where you will liberate the exact same bases time and time again. that kind of copy and paste does not happen in MGSV. every base, every outpost, is unique. Assassin's Creed IV was amazing and the best pirate game ever but the repeatable islands made it less special the longer you played. MGSV always has tight, original level design.

Greddleok

Wow, you're right. Those are some of my favourite games, and I guess that's why I love the world of MGSV.

It feels real. It's open. It's barren. It's not full of little things to do, markers of a merchant who's being robbed, or of a shop to buy ammo. Just like a real war zone is.
It makes it so much easier for me to be immersed and focus on the mission, instead of being distracted by bullshit.

Man, Ghost Recon was amazing.

Ghost Recon and Delta Force 2... Damn did I love those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W5I59EPdTE

Kinda reminds me of an Afghanistan side-op haha maybe the same with that Ghost Recon expansion... Desert Siege? That one had huge maps with a lot of tactical approach, more so than the original Ghost Recon which was, granted, a bit more linear in map design.

//edit// this one is good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV5mSpdBZVE -- he spends 3 minutes approaching the base from behind and sniping from the mountain top. basically how i used to play it... and how i play mgs v lol.

Neiteio

Wow, you're right. Those are some of my favourite games, and I guess that's why I love the world of MGSV.

It feels real. It's open. It's barren. It's not full of little things to do, markers of a merchant who's being robbed, or of a shop to buy ammo. Just like a real war zone is.
It makes it so much easier for me to be immersed and focus on the mission, instead of being distracted by bullshit.

Man, Ghost Recon was amazing.
Yep, all of this. MGSV's open world is perfect the way it is, precisely because there are no meaningless distractions. You have a ton of outposts and installations littered across the landscape, and then the lay of the land allows you to approach them from all angles. And then there are the missions and side objectives that involve targets moving between locations where you attempt to intercept them, track them or ambush them. The open world has its point, and it never bogs itself down.

Greddleok

If I compare MGSV's open world to practically every other I'm sure people won't agree, but whatever.

In MGSV, you travel to your objective, scout it out, move around the area, find the optimal way to gain entry unnoticed, and extract safely. You sometimes have to avoid mountains or forests, you sometimes can take advantage of a perfect entry point thanks you circling around the objective.

Most open world design feels pointless. It's just space full of mindless tasks to do to distract from the boredom of traversing it. Most games provide fast travel, because otherwise the player would get sick of the open world.
I often find, for example in TW3, I am on my horse, travelling, looking at my phone the whole time. Sure, it's beautiful, but I mean...that gets old after 5 hours. Then it just becomes this thing I have to deal with. It's not an integral part of the mechanics like in MGSV.

JackelZXA

Some stuff I realized about replaying Afghanistan. You can completely skip one mission in the first set of stages, and another in the second set. You can get as far as completing chapter 1 at least. If you skip A Hero's Way and Occupational Forces you won't even miss out on anything. (These two don't have any useful blueprints or recruitable dudes with good skills)

What I'm gonna do for my next playthrough is save them for chapter 2 and use them as my missions to unlock the AI Pod Extraction side op and the Escaped Children side ops.

I've don't a ton of work figuring out triggers in the game and I'm really close to writing a guide for how to streamline a playthrough. A few things about the game: I think there's 3 chunks of missions that could have been combined into single missions and helped the flow of the game better.

These are:
- Red Brass, Back Up Back Down, Cloaked in Silence (the missions that basically involve going over a large amount of territory you've already covered in other ops, it'd feel cool)
- Lingua Franca, Footprints of Phantoms, Traitors' Caravan, Rescue the Intel Agents (basically the filler missions between the first africa mission and the children. The area of operations would basically be the savanha, as you're covering alot of similar ground between these four, you even go back to the swamp at the end, and traitors' caravan is just a big area coverage anyways)
- Close Contact, Hunting Down, Root Cause (The last set of missions of Africa before the big shit, but they're all kind of like fillers again. They're really quick and it'd basically be like combining the objectives like how Ground Zeroes was a 2 objective mission. IIRC, Aim True Ye Vengeful or Close Contact both trigger the Quiet attacks the guards cutscene, and then the one you do second triggers the outbreak. I have to double check this, though)

I feel like having a few super-missions would have felt more interesting than having so many short filler ones. If you trim the fat just enough and stitch them together you can attach an optional cutscene to the end of every remaining mission on the list, and I think that would have added to the feel of playing through Chapter 1 greatly. You'd have a feeling of more going on in the story just by having more character stuff going on. The way the stretch of missions in africa where you have a cutscene after every mission (children on mother base all the way to quiet attacking the soldiers is cutscene after cutscene) really made the game feel like it was picking up.

Just having more cutscenes along the critical path, even funny ones like the optional cutscenes, would have made the game feel more metal gear-y. Every mission should have had at least one cutscene to it upon completion. You could basically condense Chapter 1 into 20 missions this way. (8 in afghanistan, 1 in cyprus, 1 on mother base, and 10 in africa, with ground zeroes as the "pilot" episode.)

I kind of feel like writing up that "guide", but I just need to confirm a few last minute things...I bet a few people would appreciate having an easy to follow "road map" of having a streamlined MGSV experience with more story "going on".

I think one of my biggest gripes with the series, post MGS4, is the shift away from a dynamic camoflague system.

I really, really enjoyed those aspects of 3 and 4, and with the emergent gameplay and customization that's supposed to pervade every aspect of MGS5, it makes zero sense that it isn't in there as well.

What we got was so...boring and feels like it doesn't affect gameplay all that much.

JackelZXA

I think one of my biggest gripes with the series, post MGS4, is the shift away from a dynamic camoflague system.

I really, really enjoyed those aspects of 3 and 4, and with the emergent gameplay and customization that's supposed to pervade every aspect of MGS5, it makes zero sense that it isn't in there as well.

What we got was so...boring and feels like it doesn't affect gameplay all that much.

It actually does. Try doing the Honey Bee mission with Woodland on and then try it with Desert. You'll notice a big difference. It's real easy to airdrop in a new camo, and you can even have a smoke to skip the wait time! :D (If you call it to your location, and then smoke, it'll land on your head when it shows up and end the time speedup right there)

Neiteio

The camo system still applies in MGSV. Read the descriptions for each outfit — it tells you the environment where they'll help you blend in (i.e. deserts, swamps, woods, etc).

There are also outfits that specialize in softening the sound of your footsteps, or increasing your damage resistance.

The world design lends itself to the missions but I think it's the free roam where it shines. The objective nature of missions can maybe sometimes result in sort of min-maxing of your approach: it's common to read or see on video sites how many people use silenced sniper rifles, end up using the same approach to X target, etc. In free roam there when you've tackling more random side ops or even just genuine free roam troops, sort of lends itself to just approaching however you want.

Where I always find myself coming back to are certain areas like Da Whalia, where I'll regularly come in, scout a bit or bit and start sniping... same for that first town. and in general just flow with the random enemies. Maybe call in a heli. Maybe infiltrate through the city from the start with just a silencer pistol and flashlight at night. Maybe set a trap to lure enemies away and ambush them from a different angle. I always like watching air support come in at night or through night vision a la Blackhawk Down or Peqoud lets loose "rocket salvo rocket salvo" on a vehicle (or some guy clearly already dead lol). Just in general raiding various outposts... the plantation in Angola is another favorite of mine -- awesome little details to it.

All of which are often creative and sort of 'motivated' actions that basically begin with core gameplay that is fun and makes you want to try those sort of things to begin with. A general tacticle response and smoothness of inputs where things just feel smooth right, and execute like you expect them to Things like weapon steals to dual holds-ups, or takedowns from the ground, or how the game transitions from third person stalking, crouching, crawling, then first person, or just the reliability of its hit detection -- everything just responds and animates in a fluid and satisfying way.

That said, I'm rather fond of Snake Eater, Peace Walker and Militaires Sans Frontieres, and Mother Base and Diamond Dogs. So, combine that with that sort of ARMA, Delta Force, Ghost Recon world design, and satisfying creative freedom and gameplay response, and I mostly just need a landscape to scout and infiltrate within to be satisfied -- akin to replaying the same ARMA, Delta Force or Ghost Recon map over and over again in different ways.

I've likely raided my favorite few outposts in Afghanistan and Angola over a couple dozen times, and though the content is not new, the experience always feels a little bit different just based on the weapons, time of day, enemy ranks, my approach, and so forth. That's sort of brings me back every week. I can create a theme or idea, customize weapons in a new way, design a new loadout I've never tried, and then take it out on the battlefield. It's not a world sandbox per se since it's still mostly static and respawning, but it's a sort of gameplay sandbox in terms of player creativity. For all its world design or gameplay control, what really gives fuel to those things is freedom and creativity the game tools give you.

The real strength of the game is how accurately the game manifests the player's inputs: whether it's your physical ideas and inputs, or your tactical ideas and your creative ideas. Every input of your d-pad to attack an enemy or hop through a window, to try some weird idea to lure ideas, or creatively theme your loadout -- for any weakness the game has in its parts, as a sum it always seem to manifest your actions, ideas, or creativity with an accuracy and satisfaction that few games can match.

Neiteio

The world design lends itself to the missions but I think it's the free roam where it shines. The objective nature of missions can maybe sometimes result in sort of min-maxing of your approach: it's common to read or see on video sites how many people use silenced sniper rifles, end up using the same approach to X target, etc. In free roam there when you've tackling more random side ops or even just genuine free roam troops, sort of lends itself to just approaching however you want.

Where I always find myself coming back to are certain areas like Da Whalia, where I'll regularly come in, scout a bit or bit and start sniping... same for that first town. and in general just flow with the random enemies. Maybe call in a heli. Maybe infiltrate through the city from the start with just a silencer pistol and flashlight at night. Maybe set a trap to lure enemies away and ambush them from a different angle. I always like watching air support come in at night or through night vision a la Blackhawk Down or Peqoud lets loose "rocket salvo rocket salvo" on a vehicle (or some guy clearly already dead lol). Just in general raiding various outposts... the plantation in Angola is another favorite of mine -- awesome little details to it.

All of which are often creative and sort of 'motivated' actions that basically begin with core gameplay that is fun and makes you want to try those sort of things to begin with. A general tacticle response and smoothness of inputs where things just feel smooth right, and execute like you expect them to Things like weapon steals to dual holds-ups, or takedowns from the ground, or how the game transitions from third person stalking, crouching, crawling, then first person, or just the reliability of its hit detection -- everything just responds and animates in a fluid and satisfying way.

That said, I'm rather fond of Snake Eater, Peace Walker and Militaires Sans Frontieres, and Mother Base and Diamond Dogs. So, combine that with that sort of ARMA, Delta Force, Ghost Recon world design, and satisfying creative freedom and gameplay response, and I mostly just need a landscape to scout and infiltrate within to be satisfied -- akin to replaying the same ARMA, Delta Force or Ghost Recon map over and over again in different ways.

I've likely raided my favorite few outposts in Afghanistan and Angola over a couple dozen times, and though the content is not new, the experience always feels a little bit different just based on the weapons, time of day, enemy ranks, my approach, and so forth. That's sort of brings me back every week. I can create a theme or idea, customize weapons in a new way, design a new loadout I've never tried, and then take it out on the battlefield. It's not a world sandbox per se since it's still mostly static and respawning, but it's a sort of gameplay sandbox in terms of player creativity. For all its world design or gameplay control, what really gives fuel to those things is freedom and creativity the game tools give you.

The real strength of the game is how accurately the game manifests the player's inputs: whether it's your physical ideas and inputs, or your tactical ideas and your creative ideas. Every input of your d-pad to attack an enemy or hop through a window, to try some weird idea to lure ideas, or creatively theme your loadout -- for any weakness the game has in its parts, as a sum it always seem to manifest your actions, ideas, or creativity with an accuracy and satisfaction that few games can match.
Amazing post. I haven't watched all of the videos yet, but I watched the first one (sniping on the first town) and that looks like a lot of fun. Also, your last paragraph sums up a key component of the game's magic — how if you think it, you can pretty much perform it.

Greddleok

My only major gripe with the game is that some of the mission tasks are boring or pointlessly hard.

Other than that, it's one of my favourite games of all time.

MDave

In regards to the camo system:

Yeah it still works the same as 3 and 4, just there is no percentage indicator on the HUD anymore. Have to think about it more. Hiding in grass the same colour as you makes you almost invisible to enemies a few feet away, depending on the enemies abilities. I don't think it works as well against S++ Combat soldiers.

Kindekuma

Banned
In regards to the camo system:

Yeah it still works the same as 3 and 4, just there is no percentage indicator on the HUD anymore. Have to think about it more. Hiding in grass the same colour as you makes you almost invisible to enemies a few feet away, depending on the enemies abilities. I don't think it works as well against S++ Combat soldiers.

Considering S++ only appear in FOBs, you can still get by slowly and painfully inching your way across by crawling. But it's just better to take them all out. In FOBs its just better to go Squares in daytime and Sneaking Suit at night.

In the main game camo is far more effective, I've played dead in grass the same color as my camo and the guy could be looking right at me but carries on. It's great. The only actual useless camo in the game is Splitter. It's the only kind of camo of it's type and is rarely if ever used. Also we need more sand and soil based camos! Enough greenery!

Truant

I'm picking up where I left off last year (around this time, actually).

I think I fucked up! Mid game spoilers:

So the epidemic is in full swing at Mother Base. I couldn't figure out what language that was the culprit, as all the infected guys had russian, english AND the african language in common.

So, I just highlighted all my guys and put them in the quarantine deck. Miller calls me a few minutes later and says the epidemic is now under control.

Great, but I have like 40 guys that's not in quarantine right now. I can't reload a previous save either. Have I lost all my good dudes to the disease? Help!

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm picking up where I left off last year (around this time, actually).

I think I fucked up! Mid game spoilers:

So the epidemic is in full swing at Mother Base. I couldn't figure out what language that was the culprit, as all the infected guys had russian, english AND the african language in common.

So, I just highlighted all my guys and put them in the quarantine deck. Miller calls me a few minutes later and says the epidemic is now under control.

Great, but I have like 40 guys that's not in quarantine right now. I can't reload a previous save either. Have I lost all my good dudes to the disease? Help!

Sorta. Did you complete Mission 29? I mean, I know which
strain
is causing it, would you like the answer or just want to keep going?

yeah it's the same for every player.

you don't really need to worry about your soldiers being lost. just keep doing main missions to find the answer to your problem.

last time i played through the game i don't think i even finished sorting into quarantine and just rushed through the missions, so that's an option.

It's blow my mind that people here say the main missions design are copy paste. If you have a mission where the objective is to eliminate a target that doesn't mean that it will play the same way as another mission with the same objective. You can eliminate him by extracting him by a Fulton and you can kill him in many different ways. Also a huge part of the game is how to approach a base since it's an open world game.

There are many great missions and memorable moments in TPP. The buddy system and the huge amount of weapons and gadgets makes TPP one of the finest games I have ever played.

Regarding side ops, I always experimented in those mission since there is no ranking as in the main missions.

Thanks to this damn thread, I just spent 7 hours today playing MGSV. Damn you, Neiteio! :p

On a more serious note, I was replaying certain missions and I still can't fathom how so many on GAF can call the level and mission designs poor and uninspired. If anything, the level designs are decent at worst, a few are amazing and the mission designs are above any other game in the genre. I guess it's human nature to blame oneself's lack of creativity and perseverance. I really hope a few years down the line this game will be seen in a much more positive light on GAF.
yup its honestly a case of being too far ahead of its time with only some people seemingly capable of appreciating the brilliance and freedom offered.

UncleMeat

I kind of feel like writing up that "guide", but I just need to confirm a few last minute things...I bet a few people would appreciate having an easy to follow "road map" of having a streamlined MGSV experience with more story "going on".

I would love that, Jackel. I'm thinking about making a new ps profile or possibly picking it up cheap for xb1 to start a clean new playthrough and this would be very helpful. (Stupid that there's no new game+ in this, replaying missions isn't the same.)

JackelZXA

I would love that, Jackel. I'm thinking about making a new ps profile or possibly picking it up cheap for xb1 to start a clean new playthrough and this would be very helpful. (Stupid that there's no new game+ in this, replaying missions isn't the same.)

there's one mission I want to double check before I do (I want to test if anything happens if you play mission 25 before 24) but also one minor thing is that one cutscene requires you to have been invaded before FOB's unlock, and I think that's tied to your ps profile...(It feels really natural to have that cutscene occur after mission 22)

UncleMeat

Driving to work today, kind of groggy from staying up late playing mgsv; really just wanted to stay home and play some more and I see a truck carrying this trailer:
14184492_10103721155890732_1080248054063312583_n.jpg
I was like, "Oh Come on!!"

Neiteio

There's a special deal going on right now where the number of Mother Coins needed for a second FOB is reduced by 50%. I used the free MB coins I receive daily and purchased one in the North Pacific (500 MB), expanding the size of my team and leveling up my departments. More GMP and resources for me!

UncleMeat

There's a special deal going on right now where the number of Mother Coins needed for a second FOB is reduced by 50%. I used the free MB coins I receive daily and purchased one in the North Pacific (500 MB), expanding the size of my team and leveling up my departments. More GMP and resources for me!

Bought one today too, I was surprised they were so cheap. Guess that's why, glad I jumped on it.

edit: Happy one year anniversary, MGSV.

Top Bottom