• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Beer for women' launched by Czech brewery sparking sexist outrage

Laiza

Seriously, how can you make the argument for soap and not alcohol? Isn't alcohol consumption levels very different for men and women? The effects of it on the different sexes is vastly different from shampoo or soap which some of you are making the argument for while saying this is different.
Alcohol consumption levels are dictated almost entirely by weight. Sex is only a factor insofar as women tend to weigh less than equivalent men, but weight is still the overriding factor. A 105 lb man is going to get drunk a hell of a lot faster than a 200 lb woman any day of the week.

So, unless you're advocating for different-sized bottles and cans for different sizes of people... no, this doesn't make any sense at all.

Seriously, how can you make the argument for soap and not alcohol? Isn't alcohol consumption levels very different for men and women? The effects of it on the different sexes is vastly different from shampoo or soap which some of you are making the argument for while saying this is different.

I think part of the issue here is that even if you buy into the physiological differences, what are you actually going to produce that isn't already being made? Like if you tasked me with cynically making a beer to target the sensibilities of a stereotypical woman, I'm not sure what idea is even come up with that doesn't already exist. Like what would we even be talking about? Low calorie? Low ABV? Less bitter? Fruitier flavors? Every combination of these already exists without needing a pink can it bottle to serve them in.

LQX

On average, women process alcohol slower, and weigh less, so yeah, they tend to get drunk off of less alcohol. But I'm curious what your suggestion is. That there should be alcoholic beverages with less alcohol for women?
I'm not really suggesting anything, but after seeing some make the argument that soaps are different I'm just saying I can see making the argument that marketing and selling alcohol differently for woman makes more sense more-so than soaps as the effects on women are vastly different.

Edit- two more quotes before I could reply.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lots of people saying how being angered by this is stupid.

Is this was "Watermelon flavoured beer for Black people" you might be more likely to understand the problem.

Yes, women can like pink things if they wish, but to market a product in this way, to allow women to "maintain their femininity" is ridiculously patronising to the point of being prejudicial. It perpetuates a highly damaging stereotype and encourages institutional sexism.
The history of gender based product marketing isn't as ugly as the watermelon smear campaign, that was literally created just to malign African Americans. There are definitely alcoholic drinks primarily marketed towards women, albeit in a less cynical way.

Laiza

The history of gender based product marketing isn't as ugly as the watermelon smear campaign [...]
Nah, Gamergate kind of disagrees with you there. Might not be obvious at first blush, but the misogyny permeating the games industry has strong roots in the gendered marketing of years past.

To put it another way, the watermelon things started as openly malicious but is much less of a factor in modern racism (but it still acts as a coded message at times), whereas the gendered marketing of the past was little more than a cynical attempt to make more money by splitting the demographics, but oddly enough ended up with far more severe deleterious effects on society down the road. Odd how these things happen, eh?

Oh yes. I urge anyone interested in the history of brewing too read up a little on Hildegard von Bingen, my favorite person in history.

In addition to being the first ever to document the addition of hops to beer, she also made many advances in medicinal science, and was a very prolific and innovative composer (of Gregorian chant). All while being a woman in the 12th century.

And another reason I don't believe women need a pink bottle to solidify their place in the beer world.

Jay Sosa

Why is it sexist to market a product or brand at just one sex? I buy shampoo for men even though its formula is the exact same as the womens brand. There is that vodka brand that is marketed heavily at women, energy bars and drinks, yogurts, etc. Not all women want girly packaging or different flavors but some do, seems kind of weird to say you shouldn't do that.

Give it up, no point in discussing something like this believe me. Just silently shake your head, ignore it and focus on more important things.

Alienfan

Gender marketing, unless it's for products that are gender specific (condoms, Tampons etc) just come off as nonsense in 2017, especially given its ugly history. Shampoo is the worst. If a man wants to smell like strawberry coconut cream, let the man smell like strawberry coconut cream without feeling ashamed.
woman's shampoo is so much better than guys

Bad article title aside, I feel like a lot of people here are misinterpreting amusement at such a condescending marketing scheme as "outrage".

I'm pretty sure any outrage isn't coming from the product itself but rather the idea that until this product came along women couldn't possibly have enjoyed beer at it was.

Xe4

Banned
Beer for her. Same beer, $5 more.
And the sad thing is it works (sometimes). I don't blame them for trying here, it's just fucking silly.

I'm pretty sure any outrage isn't coming from the product itself but rather the idea that until this product came along women couldn't possibly have enjoyed beer at it was.

Aside from the packaging I'm still not clear on the pitch. Assume I've already poured it into an ordinary glass. What about this beer is supposed to be appealing to women?

Top Bottom