• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before playing RE6, know these mechanics since Capcom don't teach poop

tbh this topic made me consider the game more than I ever have even after playing the demo. So many nuances I didnt know about X_X

Neiteio

yeesh, the only thing that sounds good about any of these is the paint the target for your ai partner, since i had just assumed they were as bad as RE5s at least i'll be able to give them some context of what i need them to do.
The AI partner is superior in RE6. They're more or less invincible against normal enemies, they don't take your ammo or herbs, they have unlimited ammo themselves, they can heal you when you're down (love the Field Medic skill), and in my experience they generally hold back and don't rush each encounter. This, coupled with directives via target-painting, makes the AI a really fun presence in RE6.

also- tips for QTE's? is this game really that mechanically bad? i'm weary of even picking it up on the cheap this holiday...
Most QTEs are a non-issue, appearing a handful of times per chapter, and erring mainly in when they're unexpected. But you pick yourself up and try again and prevail. The stick-twirling one can be done with one stick, it just becomes an insta-win when you use two. And the climbing QTE may be intuitive to some, but for those who don't grasp it, that's how you do it the one or two times it appears. :)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Nothing about what I just read seems unintuitive to me
No you're right. It seems frivolous given that great game design was substituted for a plethora of options and content the ranges from poor to average to rarely magnificent.

unless you're just bad at games honestly.
Lol, people still use this argument? Bahaha

Neiteio

No you're right. It seems frivolous given that great game design was substituted for a plethora of options and content the ranges from poor to average to rarely magnificent.
None of it is frivolous. The S-rank 150-combo Mercs videos will show this. :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
And as others will probably point out, establishing an arcane system of simultaneous button presses for simple actions does not add depth to a game.

You're right, it doesn't. But this game does have a deep combat system, which has nothing to do with the simultaneous button presses. They probably could have streamlined the controls a little more, but you can't deny that the game's combat is plenty deep.

I hope this helps!

I know you mean well, but this is just sad beyond believe.

Not your effort, that is commendable, but the fact that the game is so hopelessly bad designed that stuff like this isn't taught through gameplay. We aren't in the 80s anymore. This is basic gamedesign stuff.

Shinta

Banned
Great post! This makes me want to go pick up the game.

All the people calling this as complicated as a fighting game ... wow lol. In depth move lists are something to cry about now? You guys are really everything that's wrong with action gaming.

"Here's some neat moves you can use in this action game, try them out!"

"Too much work, I'll just watch it on youtube."

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

Forsythia

Can anyone convert this to 360? Would be really helpful. And it's ridiculous this isn't told in a manual/ingame.

Neiteio

I know you mean well, but this is just sad beyond believe.

Not your effort, that is commendable, but the fact that the game is so hopelessly bad designed that stuff like this isn't taught through gameplay. We aren't in the 80s anymore. This is basic gamedesign stuff.
Thank you for the kind words. :) And yes, as I said in the title, it's sad Capcom doesn't even use the Prelude as an opportunity to teach these mechanics. The game really needs a tutorial. But I hope people do check out the game, and with these mechanics in mind, since I firmly believe it's a great game at heart. :)

Jay Sosa

Most of these are for PS3! That's racist.

Good thread though. I hate it when I realize by the end of the game that it would have been so much easier if they would have done a better job explaining the controls. Especially in days like these where you have like 500 special moves and 40 button combinations.

Valnen

Great post! This makes me want to go pick up the game.

All the people calling this as complicated as a fighting game ... wow lol. In depth move lists are something to cry about now? You guys are really everything that's wrong with action gaming.

"Here's some neat moves you can use in this action game, try them out!"

"Too much work, I'll just watch it on youtube."

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg
Pretty much. These must be the same people that bitched about Twisted Metal. This is why we can't have nice things.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone convert this to 360? Would be really helpful. And it's ridiculous this isn't told in a manual/ingame.

PS3 = 360
Square = X
Circle = B
X (Action Button) = A
R1 = Right Trigger
R2 = Right Bumper

I would write out the whole thing with these but I don't feel like it lol.

Bulzeeb

I wonder if the controls will translate well for the pc version, thats the version I plan to get and I'll be using keyboard + mouse for aiming because I hate dual analgos

Neiteio

Is there a button to sex? Need to counter all the will-they wont-they tension?
LOL, like when Leon fell on Helena... or when Sherry and Jake caught each other "under-dressed," lol. (Vague spoilers, no worries.)

Its not that its complex, its that the shooting feels like shit.
Completely disagree -- shooting feels great. Enemies shudder and stagger and twirl around, sometimes dissolving into flame mid-fall. The guns jolt with each impact. Dazing for context-sensitive melees is fun and easy. Tripping with a slide or sending an enemy flying with a kick is also great. Love the combat. :)

kunonabi

So it isn't a cover shooter but I can just sit behind cover and let my invincible partner do all the work? Sounds brilliant.

Neiteio

So it isn't a cover shooter but I can just sit behind cover and let my invincible partner do all the work? Sounds brilliant.
Yeeeah, let's see how far playing the game like that gets you. ;)

But seriously, that won't work. You have to get in there and fight; your partner won't take care of everything. But he/she can handle the most pesky threats like snipers and turrets while you handle the rest. Just use cover for those periods, and to restore stamina. The focus should be on fighting up close, even against gunmen. :)

Alfredo

Good OP! There is actually a PDF manual, and the online manual, but you still covered some stuff that wasn't in it.

Though not an excuse to not print the damn manual out :/

Can't wait to slide into cover with y'all <3

Wait. What. Capcom actually designed a manual for the game, with graphics and a layout obviously meant for print, but didn't include it in the game? The manual is LITERALLY downloadable content? That is the stupidest thing ever.

But, knowing the controls is certainly helpful, and it's kinda silly that people are dismissing this altogether just because it sounds complicated. Once you learn how to play RE6, it's a lot of fun. The game is still bad, though. Good mechanics, badly designed gameplay sequences. Mercenaries, fortunately, suffers little of that, as it's purely mechanics. Lots of fun.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It felt like shit to me until I changed it to classic laser sighting. It made it exactly like RE4 and RE5. If you haven't tried that, I suggest you try it.

This. Please don't use the dot/crosshairs, they are absolutely terrible. Also don't ever use cover unless you're trying to regain stamina.

The game is still bad, though. Good mechanics, badly designed gameplay sequences.

I disagree with you on this but, you know, opinions and all that.

Shinta

Banned
Wait. What. Capcom actually designed a manual for the game, with graphics and a layout obviously meant for print, but didn't include it in the game? The manual is LITERALLY downloadable content? That is the stupidest thing ever.

Actually, the "manual" has lots of videos as well. If they just included this as part of the in game menus, I think it'd be good.

Cheech

This is just god awful game design.

"We want to make RE6 a shooter, but need to add some control quirk to hail back to the original game! Yeah!"

Or something. Who the hell knows what they were thinking. What is so hard about "Let's make a RE with Gears of War controls!"?

Neiteio

This is just god awful game design.

"We want to make RE6 a shooter, but need to add some control quirk to hail back to the original game! Yeah!"

Or something. Who the hell knows what they were thinking. What is so hard about "Let's make a RE with Gears of War controls!"?
I'm not even sure how to address this claim. It's a completely different game, and the enemies and general flow of battle is tailored perfectly to these controls. They're nuanced, not complicated, and elegantly give you maximum functionality for minimal input. Again, the most complicated thing you'll do is press the Action Button and a direction while aiming.

For instance, while aiming (on PS3):

- Press X and push forward to leap forward
- Press X and push backwards to leap backward
- Press X and push right to roll right
- Press X and push left to roll left

To nuance that, release aiming mid-roll to roll to your feet.

This is not rocket science! And it adds loads of new functionality that makes the fights fresher and more dynamic than ever. :)

Squire

Banned
hahah this reminds me of the "reviewer guides" gaming journalists received after Lair was shipped.

lair-20070907112113601.jpg

"OUR GAME ISN'T A COMPLETE PIECE OF SHIT, YOU HAVE TO LEARN THE CONTROLS FIRST."

Lots of games are sent out to reviewers with reviewer guides including really good ones.

Sorry, OP. I know you don't wanna argue, but the fact this thread is necessary (and you say you think it is) is just testament to RE6 being bad.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYXXPc1zz6M

This video made me want to pick up this game.

Leon dual wield quick shot is too cool

They'd rather design their own game with its own control scheme?

With every other game homogenizing their control schemes to cater to the LCD too lazy to learn new controls,(sup mass effect) I'm pretty glad to see RE6 doing its own thing.

Sorry, OP. I know you don't wanna argue, but the fact this thread is necessary (and you say you think it is) is just testament to RE6 being bad.

I disagree. It's really no different than alot of capcom's old releases.(DMC3, Chaos Legion, even street fighter) which don't explain every mechanic in detail as to not overwhelm the player with info.

I mean look at some of the responses in this thread for proof.

Figuring stuff out for yourself in games is half the fun. but it's not necessary for completion so why burden the people that don't care?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Also to add another thing, as the OP mentioned you can hit LT + A (L1 + X on PS3) to dodge in place. However if you hit a direction right afterwards you can cancel the dodge into a roll/dive in that direction. Very useful if you need to get out of the way really quick.

You can also do a quick slide from a stationary position by hitting forward + A + LT together (forward + X + L1 on PS3). Normally you can only slide if you're sprinting first, but you can do it this way if you need to slide real quick out of the way.

Eh? It's a testament to Capcom being idiots and not telling players how to utilize the movement/combat mechanics, it has nothing to do with the quality of the game. But anyway there are 15 other threads where you can complain about the game being the worst thing ever conceived by man, so let's keep that out of here.

Neiteio

It doesn't mean the game itself is bad; only that it suffers in terms of accessibility due to the absence of a proper tutorial. It deserves flak for this omission, indeed, and Capcom should be held to the fire for it. But the point stands that the fundamental mechanics are intact and sound, and my hope is that as more people pick up the game, they will do so knowing what Capcom (for some unknown reason) won't tell them in-game. :)

Neiteio

Also to add another thing, as the OP mentioned you can hit LT + A (L1 + X on PS3) to dodge in place. However if you hit a direction right afterwards you can cancel the dodge into a roll/dive in that direction. Very useful if you need to get out of the way really quick.

You can also do a quick slide from a stationary position by hitting forward + A + LT together (forward + X + L1 on PS3). Normally you can only slide if you're sprinting first, but you can do it this way if you need to slide real quick out of the way.
More good tips! I'll add them to the OP. :)

No offense, but if it isnt spelled out in the manual or the game never makes it explicitly known that these options are available, well, then the game has really messed up.

But I thought GAF hated the fact that games tell you everything and handhold you through tutorials now. I thought we pined for the days where you had to figure things out on your own.

I'm just joking.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
No offense, but if it isnt spelled out in the manual or the game never makes it explicitly known that these options are available, well, then the game has really messed up. These instructions are at such a level of complexity that it makes the likes of Blaze Blue blush, and it comes from one of the pioneers in the realm of the third person shooter genre, Capcom. Such a shame.

The mechanics in Vanquish that make that game unique aren't formally acknowledged by the game at all

This complaint isn't a common criticism for that game though.

Chinner

Banned
its funny when people try and damage control RE6 by saying its like dark souls. they're entirely differnet games that try entirely differnet things. don't try and excuse RE6s poor tutorial and linear design by using dark souls difficulty as some kind of compensation.

Rogultgot

You really learn how to do the melee stuff quickly when you inevitably run out of ammo. Not to mention that Jake's float-over DDT is a sight to behold.

Neiteio

You really learn how to do the melee stuff quickly when you inevitably run out of ammo. Not to mention that Jake's float-over DDT is a sight to behold.
Yep. In fact, I'd say a player's melee-to-shooting ratio should be like 3:1. This is the first RE in ages where you can actually find yourself running low on ammo (especially if you don't equip the Item Drop skill), and so you're best served shooting only to daze and killing with melees whenever possible. It's amazing what you can melee in this game -- you can even melee Strelats (the lizard-like BOWs) from behind and trigger a brief QTE to finish them off. :)

Top Bottom