• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before playing RE6, know these mechanics since Capcom don't teach poop

Neiteio

from a YT video

seems like it, i'll try later :D
The only reason why I question whether 15 consecutive counter kills is the requirement is because that many counters would require nerves of steel and a number of people seem to encounter the Mercs bosses, lol. :)

Also, on the close camera, I want to add it does an admirable job of increasing the tension. Especially because of Agent Hunt: Other players can invade your game as monsters, and because of this even the AI monsters are capable of eventually tracking you from the opposite side of the map, meaning you can loiter at, say, the start of Leon Chapter 2 and after awhile a crypt zombie WILL attack you.

The close camera, and the presence of a constant threat, means you're always looking over your shoulder, scanning your surroundings for danger. I've had more than a couple moments where I was startled by a zombie that had gone the extra mile (literally) to get me. :)

FireVoa

This thread makes RE6 sound horrifying. The fact any of this is mentioned means this game almost requires you to actually have a manual about how to play in order to make it more enjoyable or playable. At what point wouldn't you simply learn from simply playing the game over time.

Hey OP exellent post but this would make an even better youtube video.
This thread makes RE6 sound horrifying. The fact any of this is mentioned means this game almost requires you to actually have a manual about how to play in order to make it more enjoyable or playable. At what point wouldn't you simply learn from simply playing the game over time.
But you see it is actually possible to enjoy the game withouth knowing all this stuff. But it is a good thing that Capcom put some depth here for the player that wants to take more out of the game.

Binabik15

The mechanics might not be overly difficult, but the game still felt really, really clunky and clumsy in the demo. When you make a game with a somewhat intricate fight system, make it responsive or don't try.

The shooting from cover is handled really awkward as well.

Neiteio

The absence of a tutorial was a huge oversight on Capcom's part. But this game really is a lot of fun and the controls are surprisingly intuitive given how complex they may look at first glance. I mean, most people would discover a number of these mechanics simply fooling around.

For instance, aiming and tapping a direction with the Action button causes you to roll in that direction -- that's about as complex as it truly gets, and one would discover that organically enough while aiming and hitting the Action button to run (leading them to roll instead). It's the bits like target-painting and auto-herb-mixing that are more hidden. You can survive without them, but the game should tell you about them because they're fun. :)

Quick recover: Mash the Action button when knocked down: Tired of enemies knocking you on your ass when a segment of your health bar empties completely or you take a particularly hard hit? Mash the Action button the moment you hit the ground, and you'll roll backwards back to your feet, instantly back in the fight. Alternatively, hold back and tap X.

Useful as fuck.

Neff

RE6 is the Ninja Gaiden of RE.

Someone had to say it.

The potential for creatively keeping yourself out of significant danger while dealing significant damage is endless. I think it's very near-sighted to condemn this breakdown of the game's technicalities, particularly when they're so viable. I applaud OP.

Neiteio

LOL, I just noticed someone edited the word "shit" in the thread title to "poop." I'm glad they preserved my slang use of "don't," though! :)

Neiteio

Someone had to say it.

The potential for creatively keeping yourself out of significant danger while dealing significant damage is endless. I think it's very near-sighted to condemn this breakdown of the game's technicalities, particularly when they're so viable. I applaud OP.
Yeah, when you start mastering the intricacies of RE6's mechanics, you feel like a god. Yet there's always a sense of vulnerability -- the mutations and swarming tactics of the enemy AI makes you feel like you're never totally in the clear. Those buggers can track you across the entire earth, lol.

d0c_zaius

Someone had to say it.

you are trying too hard.

you think its very near-sighted to complain that the game doesn't teach you shit. It wastes plenty of time on nonsense that doesn't teach you anything, thus making the game way more frustrating than it needs to be.

that isn't "near sighted". It would be great if people could just enjoy the game without trying to find ways to try and discount the valid criticisms going around.

You know most of this stuff is really easy to figure out on your own. Stuff like sliding, dodging and ducking. Do people experiment with the controls at all? I realize RE6 is stupid for not telling you and explaining it but c'mon some of this stuff is borderline Gamepro "Pro" tips.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
that isn't "near sighted". It would be great if people could just enjoy the game without trying to find ways to try and discount the valid criticisms going around.

I think this goes both ways though

Like why are the people who have decided not to buy the game or that they don't like it cluttering up a "tips and tricks" thread with "HOW HARD IS IT TO JUST COPY GEARS" and "TOO COMPLICATED ILL JUST YOUTUBE"?

Eusis

No retail copy comes with the manual :/
So it seems this game is an example of why I FUCKING HATE how publishers and platform holders increasingly push out or marginalize manuals. Granted, the Vita, 3DS, and PS3 at least have a system level way of including manuals, but if you have a reasonably complex game and don't include the information in the game then you need a manual. Period.

Anyways, bookmarking thread for when/if I get RE6 in the future.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I want to hear how the Japanese manual is. Wouldn't surprise me if they DID design a good manual there... only for the US branch to go "no one reads or needs manuals, pitch them!" only to discover they fucked up.

Neff

you are trying too hard.

you think its very near-sighted to complain that the game doesn't teach you shit.

That isn't actually what I said. And the game does teach you shit. Everything you need to survive is detailed in the game case's pamphlet. The nuanced stuff is revealed during loading screens. People just aren't paying attention, or don't want to.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
After all this criticism I bet RE7 is going to come out with a tie-in three-part novel that explains where and how Leon learned how to roll and dodge and slide.

AkuMifune

Banned
After all this criticism I bet RE7 is going to come out with a tie-in three-part novel that explains where and how Leon learned how to roll and dodge and slide.

Based on the progression of the series, RE7 will be a 300 hour FMV-based QTE of endless explosions that will be directed by Hideo Kojima.

And it will be the most amazing thing ever.

serious question

why can't RE fans just accept that some people will think RE6 is shit?

There are loads of games that have hidden depth underneath the surface that are ragged on at Launch..it's not exclusive to RE

main thing is Capcom failed to communicate why the design decisions they made allowed the the game to become unique. That's for them to correct, not you guys.

God, the prologue is awful. They teach the most basic of basic mechanics, but then Capcom got bored and just threw a bunch of QTEs at you. What exactly is that supposed to teach you?

I'm one of those people that likes RE6 as well, even if there are some considerable flaws.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
serious question

why can't RE fans just accept that some people will think RE6 is shit?

There are loads of games that have hidden depth underneath the surface that are ragged on at Launch..it's not exclusive to RE

main thing is Capcom failed to communicate why the design decisions they made allowed the the game to become unique. That's for them to correct, not you guys.

The whole point of this thread is to help people who bought the game to play it well. What's wrong with that? Sure it's on Capcom to solve that problem, but there's nothing wrong with someone helping out his fellow gamers by creating a guide for how to properly play.

I will say I am tired of the complaint that if a game doesn't have a complete tutorial then the entire game is simply shit. That just makes you sound whiny. "I got mad because I didn't know how the game worked, it's such crap." (There are, though, a lot of people playing games who seem to approach them exactly like that.)

Once upon a time, games didn't have tutorials in the game... at all. You were expected to read the manual. And figure out how to play the game well on your own.

Today, it can be a legitimate negative point if a developer doesn't include tutorial or instructions. But that alone does not determine if the core game is good or bad.

The controls in RE6 aren't even unintuitive. Just about everything (not every single thing) you can do branches from the basic character actions in ways that make sense, once you see what those actions are.
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised we have people complaining about tutorials and hand-holding all the time, while they praise the Soul series at the same time for being demanding but all of a sudden, half the people here are all like "welp, not worth the effort" while most of the stuff is intuitive if you mess around with it. And there's a list of controls in the game.

Full disclosure: I'm one of the guys complaining about cookie cutter every now and then and while I think RE6 obfuscates some elementary stuff and has a terrible camera, I'm having a great time with it. I'm counting on the PC version to make it more palatable.

Neiteio

To provide some clarification:

Apparently the European version of RE6 came with a physical instruction booklet, but the American version did not. In fact, in my American copy there is only an ad for RE: Damnation. I figured out much of what I did in the OP by experimenting and talking to people here at GAF. The game definitely could use a tutorial, and I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

Also, RE fans aren't trying to convince people to not hate the game; if anything, RE fans (as in since the days of RE1) seem to hate how action-packed the series has become. Rather, I think the people who like RE6 (who may or may not also be series fans) are simply explaining why they like the game, and others want to challenge them on this for whatever reason, including a number of people who haven't even tried the full game.

That's fine, but just a reminder, the intent of this thread is to help those who play the game since Capcom didn't include an appropriate tutorial in-game. My belief is the game has many fun mechanics and so I hope to shine a light on them for those interested. :)

JoeFenix

The controls aren't complex, and certainly not complex like a fighting game. Boot up the demo and give them a try: at most you're aiming and while aiming, tapping the Action button and a direction. That's how you do the tactical roll, for example. :)

This game has fantastic combat mechanics. The problem is the game does not articulate these core mechanics anywhere in the game outside of brief Loading screen tips -- and the game doesn't even come with a physical manual! But man is this game addictive when you learn its major new additions (sliding, rolling, etc) and learn all the nuanced ways you can use them. The battles are ever-evolving and you have the tricks to approach each situation in numerous ways.

Agreed, the game has a fantastic combat flow even if some of the hit detection feels a bit off sometimes. It's also demanding to play and I don't think most people will ever take the time to understand the game, they would rather hate on it and jump on the bandwagon.

Super flawed game in many ways but the combat is deserving of praise, I have nearly S ranked all characters on Professional and I still want to keep playing. I really hope a more focused and less misguided sequel can be made with the same combat system!

Eusis

Apparently the European version of RE6 came with a physical instruction booklet, but the American version did not. In fact, in my American copy there is only an ad for RE: Damnation. I figured out much of what I did in the OP by experimenting and talking to people here at GAF. The game definitely could use a tutorial, and I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.
Admittedly I AM curious to hear how much the European/Japanese manuals cover (assuming Japan has one, but they're USUALLY more stuck to this than people/companies in the West so I'd hope so), despite what I was saying it's not as if they can't screw up manuals too, I recall Unlimited Saga's was useless compared to reading FAQs, and manuals were declining over the last few years anyway due to the increasing tendency to make them multi-lingual.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
RE6 is shit! It doesn't tell you the controls so I won't play the game!

-nice guy on gaf tells you the controls-

RE6 is shit! There are too many controls so I won't play the game!

wut

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
More encounters, less fucking shitty vehicle and chase sequences please!

It might surprise you to hear that I really enjoyed the vehicle and chase sequences. There's nothing wrong with them other than the fact that they're "not Resident Evil." Plus they don't last more than a minute or two at most (although the jeep chase was longer).

T.O.P

Banned
Yo op, i just accidentally discovered that you can walk while crouching, don't ask me how lol

i was down, then instead of going back up Jake starts walking while crouching, pressing Square would make me lay on the floor then circle to stand up lol

this can be useful in a lot of situation, i just need to figure it out how i did it

It might surprise you to hear that I really enjoyed the vehicle and chase sequences. There's nothing wrong with them other than the fact that they're "not Resident Evil." Plus they don't last more than a minute or two at most (although the jeep chase was longer).

Jake
bike/snowbike chase sequence is pure bullshit
and you know it.

Neiteio

Yeah, I really liked the driving sequences, much to my surprise. It's cool that one player can actually drive the jeep or motorcycle while the other player shoots or mans the turret, and in the case of Chris Ch. 3, the players even switch positions halfway through.

By the way, I made some edits to the OP to greatly simplify how I explained bits like the different options available to you when sliding. I broke them up into separate sentences so they wouldn't be confused as all describing one action. Those are -multiple- actions available to you, and you can do some or all -- all part of the game's great emergent combat. :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Jake
bike/snowbike chase sequence is pure bullshit
and you know it.

OK I don't know what people have against vehicle segments in games but I actually enjoyed that sequence. It's a nice change of pace. The
motorbike
section did piss me off until I realized I shouldn't be holding the accelerator button constantly because then I can no longer turn.

Admittedly I AM curious to hear how much the European/Japanese manuals cover (assuming Japan has one, but they're USUALLY more stuck to this than people/companies in the West so I'd hope so), despite what I was saying it's not as if they can't screw up manuals too, I recall Unlimited Saga's was useless compared to reading FAQs, and manuals were declining over the last few years anyway due to the increasing tendency to make them multi-lingual.

It's just a controller map, and from my quick glance a week ago, it didn't cover at least half of the stuff in the OP.

OK I don't know what people have against vehicle segments in games but I actually enjoyed that sequence. It's a nice change of pace. The
motorbike
section did piss me off until I realized I shouldn't be holding the accelerator button constantly because then I can no longer turn.

Normally nothing, but those two sections have a few bullshit deaths. Even without holding the accelerator all the time. That shows some lack of polish.

It was fine with the other ones...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Normally nothing, but those two sections have a few bullshit deaths. Even without holding the accelerator all the time. That shows some lack of polish.

It was fine with the other ones...

Yeah I died twice in the
snowmobile chase when the avalanche got me
but I didn't really care due to checkpoints. You lose maybe 30 seconds of gameplay by dying and restarting, so it didn't really bother me all that much.

Snipers? In a RE game? Series has jumped the shark, I give up.

Alfredashford.jpg

j/k, but really at least 8 years late on "Jump the Shark".

choodi

Banned
hahah this reminds me of the "reviewer guides" gaming journalists received after Lair was shipped.

lair-20070907112113601.jpg

"OUR GAME ISN'T A COMPLETE PIECE OF SHIT, YOU HAVE TO LEARN THE CONTROLS FIRST."

I dont really give a shit about RE6, i just want to know who this guy is. If there was an award for stereotypical man-child video game "journalist" this guy would win, hands down

Bumhead

Banned
I wonder how many of the people moaning that this sounds too complicated have actually played Resident Evil 6.

The OP isn't exactly the best way to get this information across, given that it's nothing but a pretty long list of command inputs, and Capcom should have done this better themselves, but none of that stuff is actually complex in any way. If you learn to quick shot and dodge within about an hour of the game starting then you're pretty much set.

theDeeDubs

When I first played the demo, it felt kinda clunky to me. By the time I got to Jake's demo area in the full version the difference was night and day. The speed at which you can do things is amazingly satisfying once you get the controls down. Clustering zombies together so you can do a slide-by while dropping a remote bomb at their feet to come up running from the slide and setting off the remote bomb with an explosion of flesh at your back right into a quickshot>melee>finisher to the stray zombie that wasn't so lucky is sooo good. Love the addition of counterattacks as well. Once you get good at dodging and countering, you take very little damage.

Who reads manuals anymore? I usually spend the first 10 minutes messing around and getting a feel for everything before diving into a game. It's not like it's an oldschool complicated PC game that uses all the keys of a keyboard.

Eusis

It's just a controller map, and from my quick glance a week ago, it didn't cover at least half of the stuff in the OP.
Europe I presume? Well, maybe it really didn't matter and in this case it's more they needed in-game documentation.

Also, I'm reminded of how rare it is to see games with a proper tutorial section now. I don't mean having a tutorial at all, I mean something you select on the main screen and go through. Much rather have that then being forced into it in-game, but I guess too many idiots ignored it, and admittedly there IS something to be said about making a game organically teach you things.

Top Bottom