• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigiv

They might eventually release a cheaper, smaller handheld-only version of Switch with 100% software compatibility, once hardware progress allows for that.

Releasing a separate platform with a separate software library would run completely counter to their strategy.

Yeah, this would definitely be the best approach. Also a cheaper stationary micro console version for those not interested in the whole hybrid thing.

Oregano

I don't think Nintendo will release a handheld in a separate product line simply because they don't want to compete directly against themselves.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know if the Joycons do have wiimote-esque functionality? Can I waggle them to do stuff? Please?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already (hard to keep up with the multiple threads that are going), but is there any word on whether the Switch in portable mode has a standard HDMI out and a standard charging port (micro USB, etc)?

I'm imaging a scenario like playing it on the train to work, then during lunch hooking up to a tv and playing it like a console, etc.

Needs to be docked to play on a TV as the Dock is the one with HDMI out, no alternatives. There is no HDMI on the tablet. There is a charge port for charging on the go.

MrGerbils

Needs to be docked to play on a TV as the Dock is the one with HDMI out, no alternatives. There is no HDMI on the tablet. There is a charge port for charging on the go.

Ah that's too bad. Seems like a big miss. Lots of opportunities where this would be nice like bringing it to a friends house or back home when visiting family over the holidays, etc.

Honestly I travel for work fairly frequently and if I'm gonna be gone for more than 4 days or so I typically bring my PS4. This is a lot smaller so would be a lot easier if I could HDMI it to my hotel TV.

Thanks for answering though.

Ah that's too bad. Seems like a big miss. Lots of opportunities where this would be nice like bringing it to a friends house or back home when visiting family over the holidays, etc.

Honestly I travel for work fairly frequently and if I'm gonna be gone for more than 4 days or so I typically bring my PS4. This is a lot smaller so would be a lot easier if I could HDMI it to my hotel TV.

...If you bring your PS4 anyways why not just bring the dock itself to play the Swap on. A dock with a swap in it is still smaller than a PS4.

Just bring the dock with you. It doesn't appear to be very large. Problem solved.

Monumma

I like me some promos.

poster.jpg

Is that a rounded plug or am I imagining things? usb-c?

One thing I really love is that we finally put the Wii brand behind us. I was so sick of hearing wiiu. That name was awful.

Nintendo Switch sounds pretty good now that I got used to it.

That's what he implies I think.

Apparently he wants a direct HDMI out from the tablet itself to play on the TV instead of using the dock. That's what I'm reading cause he considers it "too bad" that the tablet itself has no HDMI out.

Like...you can still play with it in portable mode on the train while charging it, but if you're visiting a place or staying at a hotel you can just bring the dock with you for an actual console experience.

mid83

Honestly I'm pumped as hell about this. I have both an Xbox One and PS4 under my tv that I rarely find time to play due to work and family commitments. I typically only play them when I have huge chunks of time to play, which isn't all that often these days. I haven't touched steam in several years. I find myself playing on my iPad/3ds much more as it's far easier to fit in some gaming time into a tight schedule.

With that said, the portable/console hybrid concept is awesome for me. I can play on the big screen when I have time and on the portable device when life gets busy. Best of both worlds. I just hope we get some good third party games alongside the excellent traditional titles we can expect from Nintendo First Party studios.

On a side note, assuming this is a replacement for both the 3DS and Wii U, I hope to see the current JRPG output on 3DS move to Switch.

On a side note, assuming this is a replacement for both the 3DS and Wii U, I hope to see the current JRPG output on 3DS move to Switch.

Even if you involve that weird rumor about the Switch also getting a pure handheld counterpart to replace the 3DS (Which I doubt as it's ahead of a financial briefing and the source itself was deemed vague by the subreddit to begin with), I'm sure a lot of handheld franchises will move to the Switch.

And those Vita devs will have to go somewhere after the thing loses steam in Japan.

mid83

Even if you involve that weird rumor about the Switch also getting a pure handheld counterpart to replace the 3DS (Which I doubt as it's ahead of a financial briefing and the source itself was deemed vague by the subreddit to begin with), I'm sure a lot of handheld franchises will move to the Switch.

And those Vita devs will have to go somewhere after the thing loses steam in Japan.

What was the rumor specifically? I've been out of the loop on gaming news for a while, I just happened to see the Switch reveal posted on another forum.

Shahadan

They might eventually release a cheaper, smaller handheld-only version of Switch with 100% software compatibility, once hardware progress allows for that.

Releasing a separate platform with a separate software library would run completely counter to their strategy.

But what about the amount of sales they usually get from people who:
-only buy handhelds but won't want that thing
-buy multiple handhelds in their family
-buy both nintendo machines

That's a rather large part of their revenue right? Do they just expect mobile games and amiibos to compensate?

To be honest I'll be more than happy to buy only one device, but business wise it doesn't sit right with me, unless they plan mutliple revisions of that thing or just release a phone on the side.

What was the rumor specifically? I've been out of the loop on gaming news for a while, I just happened to see the Switch reveal posted on another forum.

A translated post supposedly from a Nintendo IR (Investors Relation) Q&A that said the Switch was a replacement for the Wii U and that a 3DS replacement is far off.

The Financial Meeting is on the 26th, who the hell is talking?

Like the concept of handheld only COULD happen years down the line, it's a possibility. But that particular source is dubious to me if I understand the circumstances.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

That's a rather large part of their revenue right? Do they just expect mobile games and amiibos to compensate?

To be honest I'll be more than happy to buy only one device, but business wise it doesn't sit right with me, unless they plan mutliple revisions of that thing or just release a phone on the side.
They will almost certainly sell a stand-alone handheld uni that's compatible with the stand allowing you to buy multiple tablets for one household. I highly doubt it's be an entire different device however, functionally will probably be exactly the same.

One thing I've thought about since the reveal is this: Will the Wii/Wii U apps make a return on the Switch? Considering they want a clean break from the Wii brand I'm not expecting Mii Maker and Mii Plaza. But will Streetpass, Spotpass and Miiverse be on it? The device looks quite hi-tech and those apps frankly don't (to me at least.) Maybe they could give them a visual make-over.

MrGerbils

...If you bring your PS4 anyways why not just bring the dock itself to play the Swap on. A dock with a swap in it is still smaller than a PS4.

well the goal would to not take up half of my suitcase with a game console, haha. A bit silly to have to bring the whole dock just for an hdmi port.

Not a huge deal though I guess.

mid83

Any predictions on actually gaming library and third party support? Third party support has been a complete mess for multiple generations of Nintendo home consoles (Western 3rd party support has been awful on both portable/home). I'd love for the "switch" platform to become my primary gaming device and maybe I can eventually leave behind Sony/MS since both devices are just collecting dust at this point.

Any idea if we think third parties will finally come around this time?

One thing I've thought about since the reveal is this: Will the Wii/Wii U apps make a return on the Switch? Considering they want a clean break from the Wii brand I'm not expecting Mii Maker and Mii Plaza. But will Streetpass, Spotpass and Miiverse be on it? The device looks quite hi-tech and those apps frankly don't (to me at least.) Maybe they could give them a visual make-over.

I don't think Miis are going anywhere. They're still an integral part of Nintendo Network, although they might change and receive a graphical update

Oregano

Any predictions on actually gaming library and third party support? Third party support has been a complete mess for multiple generations of Nintendo home consoles (Western 3rd party support has been awful on both portable/home). I'd love for the "switch" platform to become my primary gaming device and maybe I can eventually leave behind Sony/MS since both devices are just collecting dust at this point.

Any idea of we think third parties will finally come around this time?

You're probably not going to see all of the PS4/XBO games simply due to power constraints but I would say having Bethesda in the unveil and the talk of Nvidia handling APIs and documentation and middleware providers being prominently shown on the partner list are all very positive signs that Nintendo is taking third parties into stronger consideration.

Terrell

That's a rather large part of their revenue right?
Do they just expect mobile games and amiibos to compensate?

No, it really isn't. Despite not taking losses whenever possible, hardware margins aren't that great. Software is always where the money is, even for Nintendo.

More specifically, losses from people who "won't buy that thing" and the pittance of people who own console and handheld Nintendo devices or buy multiple handhelds without an increase in software sales to match will likely be compensated for in developing all future titles for a single piece of kit, marketing a single device, shipping a single device, etc.

ffdgh

I highly doubt miis are going anywhere despite being associated with the wii brand. Plus they're on the 3ds too and miitomo.

Belakor

Banned
Looking nice,but in the end it might be just another gimmick.Can't believe PS4 and X1 will be playing Red Dead 2 and Switch's "current" gen games will be Skyrim remastered

mid83

Looking nice,but in the end it might be just another gimmick.Can't believe PS4 and X1 will be playing Red Dead 2 and Switch's "current" gen games will be Skyrim remastered

Red Dead 2 was announced? I'm so out of the loop :/

Getting old sucks

PS4 and X1 won't be playing all those great PC games or Nintendo games. Amazing how that works sometimes.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the slight view of the screen you'll get when you slide the console into the stand will actually be used for something. Like, a tiny display, or just color matching the game, or anything. Seems weird that they left the small part unprotected like this without reason.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wonder if the slight view of the screen you'll get when you slide the console into the stand will actually be used for something. Like, a tiny display, or just color matching the game, or anything. Seems weird that they left the small part unprotected like this without reason.

It's a visual aid for when you go to put the modular controllers on and undock it.

wazoo

Without the stand, this is an handheld and most likely THE next handheld of nintendo. Why would they not bought it ? What would they buy instead ?

You can still buy multiple switch consoles and use them in every room or bedroom. The price is rumored to be cheap.

buy both nintendo machines

That is a valid point. But this market is lower than the WiiU market by definition, which for
now it is peanuts.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Well the Dock does not seem to have any LEDs, or did I miss them? So I think you could be right.

well the goal would to not take up half of my suitcase with a game console, haha. A bit silly to have to bring the whole dock just for an hdmi port.

Not a huge deal though I guess.

I mean by the looks of it, bringing the dock in your suitcase is probably no bigger than bringing a wii. And that thing is tiny.

Belakor

Banned
PS4 and X1 won't be playing all those great PC games or Nintendo games. Amazing how that works sometimes.

Nintendo could easily dominate the market if they offered current gen multiplatforms plus their exclusives.Why would anyone buy any other console?

If anything is selling is Nintendo's first party lineup and not all those gimmicky things they put in console.So why not abuse your amazing exclusives and crush opposition? Working as a side console will only offer you a steady,but small market compared to the rest.That's my 2 cents

KtSlime

I'm telling you right now, there is like zero chance you will ever see this being played outside
I bet I will see a bunch of them on the train during my morning commute the day after they are released. The number one place to play games is the commute to work in Japan.

efthymis

Neo Member
"Public" is one of the two biggest tech shop chains in Greece. They are the first to set up preorders following announcements and they also do get us the collectors editions of most games before any other shop.

They posted this on their page, with a placeholder price at 399 Euros. There is a clause though, saying that if the final price is actually lower, they will charge the lower, official price and not the preorder price.

"Public" and "Plaisio" would definitely be in the meeting that allegedly took place in EU a few weeks ago, since all other shops/chains in Greece are much smaller than those two. Public even removed the WiiU from their stores and online recently.

To give you a perspective of prices in Greece, the WiiU premium console + Mario Maker costs around 300 Euros here.

Untitled.jpg

I am not saying this is proof or indication, or anything, and surely the preorder price could be just their safe bet, but they could have just launched the preorder with a blank price instead.

"Public" is one of the two biggest tech shop chains in Greece. They are the first to set up preorders following announcements and they also do get us the collectors editions of most games before any other shop.

They posted this on their page, with a placeholder price at 399 Euros. There is a clause though, saying that if the final price is actually lower, they will charge the lower, official price and not the preorder price.

"Public" and "Plaisio" would definitely be in the meeting that allegedly took place in EU a few weeks ago, since all other shops/chains in Greece are much smaller than those two. Public even removed the WiiU from their stores and online recently.

To give you a perspective of prices in Greece, the WiiU premium console + Mario Maker costs around 300 Euros here.

Untitled.jpg

I am not saying this is proof or indication, or anything, and surely the preorder price could be just their safe bet, but they could have just launched the preorder with a blank price instead.

Nintendo knows they can't sell a product above 300 euros. and even that price is a stretch.
i suspect their comment about "home console first and foremost" is used to justify a 250-300€ price tag. people wouldn't buy a handheld at such a price.

Untitled.jpg

That's better than ShopTo, where my pre-order is £9,999!

Untitled.jpg

There is a 100% chance that's a placeholder price and not indicative of anything

kikonawa

I feel like nintento lost his touch or something.
I wonder who is going to buy this (aside from the hardcore nintendo fans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom