• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested, especially if the price is cheap and they bring over most of the WiiU library over in some way (if they bring over Fatal Frame 5 that would be perfect, the only thing making me to buy a Wii U now that Switch Splatoon is confirmed), but worried about the whole "Handheld + Home console!" compromising both roles.

Being a portable handheld as well makes for a weak(er) home console when it comes to performance compared to the competition and it needing to play hardware demanding games while being portable might lead to Tablet-like shit battery life (something I can deal with with a controller, something I can't deal with if it's a handheld and massively compromises its raison d'etre). If the Laura Bailey rumor is true and it only has 3 hours of battery life it is going to be close to useless as a handheld.

I will wait and see and won't pre-order or buy at launch simply to prevent from having to deal with RRoD/YLoD type early console quality issues later.

Fritz

Don't know whether this has been addressed anywhere and it's just a side note, but do you guys think DQXI NX will be the PS4 version?

TLZ

Banned
We can't say for sure it has 2 HDMI ports. While the shape of the plastic mask of the ports is in sort of the HDMI style, we can't really see the port ifself, and there have been other ports with that kind of layout (proprietary or not).

Furthermore they are not even plugged in and the guy has it the thing on and connected to his TV; not the kind of detail
that would be glanced over for this video either, even the LED light is on. Also, output ports are more likely to come off the back rather than the sides of a device.

Lastly when trying to tweak up the image to try to catch some more details, it kinda seems like there's 2 ports per thingy? Size would suggest USB-C although the shape looks more like micro USB which doesn't make much sense here. It can also just be a proprietary port with 2 prongs or just placeholders. Who knows.

9VG5gGE.jpg

Proprietary inputs? SCDs incoming?

TLZ

Banned
I've said it in a number of other threads, but I'll repeat it here.

Holiday 2018. Switch Mini. Smaller version of the tablet with both joycons built in. No dock included, but available as an optional accessory. This will replace the 3DS and become a new option for those who care more about portability than anything else.

There's basically zero chance Nintendo releases another dedicated portable with its own software ecosystem after the Switch launches .

Yes. A pocket version.

I've said it in a number of other threads, but I'll repeat it here.

Holiday 2018. Switch Mini. Smaller version of the tablet with both joycons built in. No dock included, but available as an optional accessory. This will replace the 3DS and become a new option for those who care more about portability than anything else.

There's basically zero chance Nintendo releases another dedicated portable with its own software ecosystem after the Switch launches .

But that's the only way this would work. All of the portable's software can be played on the console switch, but the reverse isn't necessarily true

Yes. A pocket version.
I don't know, man. At first, the idea made sense. But playing console-sized games on a screen even smaller than 6 inches is going to be awkward as hell. Skyrim on a 4.5 inch screen is not what you want...

Maybe they'll make a clamshell design when technology allows it, so they can fit a 6 inch screen in a device slightly larger than an iPhone Plus and have the buttons on the bottom part.

You really can't go smaller than a 5.5 inch screen with these types of games.

Just to be clear: I agree a smaller version will release. But the screen will be 5.5 inches at minimum. They'll make it smaller by doing a clamshell (or s/t) with no true analog sticks.

Trilobit

I feel like nintento lost his touch or something.
I wonder who is going to buy this (aside from the hardcore nintendo fans)

I would rather say that they have retained their touch. I had no interest in Wii U, but this seems to be a well thought out and cozy console. But it's really hard to say for sure until we know how the software side will be

ryan-ts

I doubt that most people will make use of the portable aspect of the console, just like most people preferred to play Wii U games on their big tv's and not the controller.

The portable aspect of this console is a lot more appealing then the Wii U's "portability". I'd say it's more a wait and see scenario but I can already imagine myself taking this out of the house, something that wasn't even possible with the Wii U.

TLZ

Banned
I don't know, man. At first, the idea made sense. But playing console-sized games on a screen even smaller than 6 inches is going to be awkward as hell. Skyrim on a 4.5 inch screen is not what you want...

Maybe they'll make a clamshell design when technology allows it, so they can fit a 6 inch screen in a device slightly larger than an iPhone Plus and have the buttons on the bottom part.

You really can't go smaller than a 5.5 inch screen with these types of games.

Just to be clear: I agree a smaller version will release. But the screen will be 5.5 inches at minimum. They'll make it smaller by doing a clamshell (or s/t) with no true analog sticks.

It's not something I care about too, but I do know a lot of people love pocket sized handhelds. I have a hard time playing on my vita and 3ds and hardly use them and wished they had my WiiU's tablet screen. Now it's really happening!

It's not something I care about too, but I do know a lot of people love pocket sized handhelds. I have a hard time playing on my vita and 3ds and hardly use them and wished they had my WiiU's tablet screen. Now it's really happening!
Sure! But those games were specifically designed for Vita screens, for 3DS screens.

These are games that need to work on a 6 inch screen up to a 65 inch screen. I really can't see a Skyrim working on anything smaller. They chose the 6 inch screen because that's around the minimum for console games to work as-is on a portable machine..

Go noticeably smaller and you'd have to rework the interface or other elements of the design.

I thinkl I'm 100% behind this concept. Only because I'm receptive to super comfy bed time gaming.

I mean hand-held gaming was basically comfy bed gaming for me before so it's nice to see Nintendo cater to this.

Matt

No it's not.

I've seen like less than a handful of 3DS's in the wild, and like none in the past 3 years.
And I've seen dozens, not counting gaming events.

Various factors will influence whether or not YOU see them a lot, but they will be out there, being played.

imae

Why did people assume they are 2 HDMI ports on the side?. Why would there need to be an extra 2 on the side?

I assumed they were USB ports because they seem about the right size, and if you watch the video, at the beginning when he takes the console out, the label sort of resembles "USB", but it's hard to tell.

I'm not so sure now because the connector looks a little different, like there are 2 parts.

jonno394

We can't say for sure it has 2 HDMI ports. While the shape of the plastic mask of the ports is in sort of the HDMI style, we can't really see the port ifself, and there have been other ports with that kind of layout (proprietary or not).

Furthermore they are not even plugged in and the guy has it the thing on and connected to his TV; not the kind of detail
that would be glanced over for this video either, even the LED light is on. Also, output ports are more likely to come off the back rather than the sides of a device.

Lastly when trying to tweak up the image to try to catch some more details, it kinda seems like there's 2 ports per thingy? Size would suggest USB-C although the shape looks more like micro USB which doesn't make much sense here. It can also just be a proprietary port with 2 prongs or just placeholders. Who knows.

9VG5gGE.jpg

Looks like USB Micro B to me, but thats not a charger usb type (?) , plus the USB text in the middle is clear in HD

PSFan

ENvQvoQ.png

Anyone notice this? There seems to be more triggers on the inside of the slidy part of the Joy-Con!

Is that tiny little "+" the dpad? This thing looks way more uncomfortable than holding the wii remote sideways. If I get this thing, I'll be playing on the go with the controllers attached.

9VG5gGE.jpg

They look more like microSD card slots. What other storage could they use for the tablet. And having two slots would enable you to have lots of storage space.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So I want to ask you guys:

Do you expect the Switch to be...

1) Wii U 2.0... better marketing, better sales, but an overall similarly limited library and mostly appeals to hardcore fans.

2) An actual mainstream hit that manages to recapture some of the massive sales of the SNES / Wii?

Somewhere between the two. The 3DS has sold over 60 million (granted we don't know how many were to the same people/households with all the different models and special editions) and the Wii U sold 13 million or so.

This combines those markets, so if they price and market it well so that they can keep most of those gamers and hopefully attract some people who didn't own either, they should do well.

So I'd guess it will do in the 40-60 million range over it's life time. I can't see it getting anywhere near the 100 million+ the Wii sold. But that size market should be fine as they have high attach rates already, that should go up this time around as every game they put out will be available to their whole base since it's not split across two separate hardware platforms (with most in the base not owning both).

EVH

9VG5gGE.jpg

Those are simple USB. Nothing else. It even says it right there for christs sake.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is that tiny little "+" the dpad? This thing looks way more uncomfortable than holding the wii remote sideways. If I get this thing, I'll be playing on the go with the controllers attached.

That's just a plus button and there's a minus on the other Joy Con. There's no d-pad on the Joy Cons, though there is one on the Pro Contoller.

Ran rp

I wonder if the slight view of the screen you'll get when you slide the console into the stand will actually be used for something. Like, a tiny display, or just color matching the game, or anything. Seems weird that they left the small part unprotected like this without reason.

it better not. that's a dumb reason to keep the screen on at all times.

it's most likely there to be kid friendly. easy to spot and grab.

Peltz

Its a plus button. Like on a Wii Controller.

It's the same thing as the Start Button on other controllers.

Somewhere between the two. The 3DS has sold over 60 million (granted we don't know how many were to the same people/households with all the different models and special editions) and the Wii U sold 13 million or so.

This combines those markets, so if they price and market it well so that they can keep most of those gamers and hopefully attract some people who didn't own either, they should do well.

So I'd guess it will do in the 40-60 million range over it's life time. I can't see it getting anywhere near the 100 million+ the Wii sold. But that size market should be fine as they have high attach rates already, that should go up this time around as every game they put out will be available to their whole base since it's not split across two separate hardware platforms (with most in the base not owning both).
It will absolutely do over 40 million. It's guaranteed to be huge in Japan, huge in the US and huge in EU. It looks great, marketing is on point, Nintendo has big mainstream appeal right now and it's the most powerful handheld we've ever seen. Region free means plenty of niche appeal as well.

Anecdotal evidence: friends of mine want it day one who haven't been interested in a Nintendo console for over a decade.

Zedark

hey guys, Emily rogers put the first of her two-part thoughts on the Switch up, and this stood out to me:

Emily Rogers said:
On another note, I wish they would package this controller [the Pro Controller] with every system, instead of making it an additional, optional accessory to purchase. But I do realize that Nintendo Switch will be pricey and bundling more stuff with it will only make it more expensive. With that said, I still think everyone would prefer using this controller, when playing a game on the big-screen television, instead of the Joy-Cons.
(original bold emphasis, square-bracketed comment my own)

She seems to think the system will be pricey. Do you guys think this is related to the manufacturing costs for Nintendo or rather for the consumer cost as well (I know they are very often directly related, but maybe she means Nintendo is already taking a hit on the costs for producing this system)?

Nere

My only problem with the console is the colour. That grey looks so oldfashioned. Hope they make new colours soon.

Volotaire

nxmodconcept.jpg

I need this.

A wii remote style joy con with an IR sensor for compatibility with wii virtual console games would be cool. The existing joy cons already mirror the nunchuck well with its button layout. (or they could put in compatibility for the existing wii remote down the line)

Nintendo can make a large margin on these accessories.

I doubt that most people will make use of the portable aspect of the console, just like most people preferred to play Wii U games on their big tv's and not the controller.

Yeah all 60 million 3ds and the dozens of vita owners will suddenly change their playing preferences when they upgrade to this.

hey guys, Emily rogers put the first of her two-part thoughts on the Switch up, and this stood out to me:

(original bold emphasis, square-bracketed comment my own)

She seems to think the system will be pricey. Do you guys think this is related to the manufacturing costs for Nintendo or rather for the consumer cost as well (I know they are very often directly related, but maybe she means Nintendo is already taking a hit on the costs for producing this system)?
It will be 299 or 399 with Zelda and Pro Controller. Seriously the only pricing tier option for Nintendo.

That said, I disagree with her on the Pro Controller. The Joycons + grip looks goofy but super comfortable.

shingi70

Banned
Something I've been wondering, say Dragon Quest 11 comes to the NX would it run the console or handheld version or a combination of both depending on what mode your playing.

I also wonder what this means for handheld typical titles.

Peterc

But what about the amount of sales they usually get from people who:

-only buy handhelds but won't want that thing
-> What thing? to connect your device to the TV, if this is the case, you could trow every phone/tablet away. Beause they all can do that. It's just a nice feature to have but doesn't almost cost anything more.

-buy multiple handhelds in their family
-> They still will buy more...

-buy both nintendo machines
-> True, but they will buy more software and add-ons.

We all say, home is first, but it isn't.
It's clearly a handheld device, you just can connect it on your tv.

Nintendo of course would sell it as hybrid.

The 3min video showed 95% handheld and 5% TV. That confirms with what i'm saying.

People will beg for a handheld device that can play ps4 games. Nintendo always keep their handheld cheap, this time they have choosed again for a powerfull great handheld device with no real gimmicks. This is what people wanted.

If this isn't the case, what do you want? underpowered handheld? midgen console?
With other words "Nintendo do be doomed"

I can see them bringing a new console when the ps5 arrives.

I think the price would be ok. Vita was prices $249.99 - $299.99 ? So that would be ok. I hope 250€

ramparter

Banned
"Public" is one of the two biggest tech shop chains in Greece. They are the first to set up preorders following announcements and they also do get us the collectors editions of most games before any other shop.

They posted this on their page, with a placeholder price at 399 Euros. There is a clause though, saying that if the final price is actually lower, they will charge the lower, official price and not the preorder price.

"Public" and "Plaisio" would definitely be in the meeting that allegedly took place in EU a few weeks ago, since all other shops/chains in Greece are much smaller than those two. Public even removed the WiiU from their stores and online recently.

To give you a perspective of prices in Greece, the WiiU premium console + Mario Maker costs around 300 Euros here.

Untitled.jpg

I am not saying this is proof or indication, or anything, and surely the preorder price could be just their safe bet, but they could have just launched the preorder with a blank price instead.

They first put it for 299, then changed it. So they are clueless and decided to go with the safest route.

It will be 299 or 399 with Zelda and Pro Controller. Seriously the only pricing tier option for Nintendo.

That said, I disagree with her on the Pro Controller. The Joycons + grip looks goofy but super comfortable.

Yeah and that thing in the middle of the joycon grip is not just another battery for the joycons. It has some other hidden features for sure.

Yeah and that thing in the middle of the joycon grip is not just another battery for the joycons. It has some other hidden features for sure.
It's to ensure that all those controller gimmicks like the one pictured above can also be used in a home environment.

Seriously, those controller expansions need to happen. They're gimmicks in the best possible way.

Something that would be cool:

Buying a second dock to hook up to another TV in your house. You can just play on another TV by throwing the tablet into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom