• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran rp

How about this 3DS mode I knocked up?

RbjGyGH.png
this makes no sense

m.i.s.

Banned

What does "overly" expensive mean?

If the Wii U [basic $299, premium $350, and 3DS [$250] debut prices are anything to go by, Nintendo products absolutely do not command any kind of price premium.

This thing is dead in the water at $299 because it'll be competing with PS4 and XBO at cheaper hardware prices and with cheaper, mature game libraries

ASIS

TBF that's not what he's asking for, those are investors, which have completely different wants and expectations to consumers.
Maybe so, but the reports read like a market evaluation rather than an investor reaction. The overall tone of these articles do not match what I've been seeing online, not by one bit.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Maybe so, but the reports read like a market evaluation rather than an investor reaction. The overall tone of these articles do not match what I've been seeing online, not by one bit.

Stock market evaluation, Nintendo stocks dropped by 6%

PSFan

WiiU disc game support has already been shot down, digital support is still up in the air. I doubt there'll be support for dvds or bluray, doesn't look like the dock does anything like that.

Do you honestly think they will screw over physical disc owners with some sort of digital only BC? I know I'll be pissed since all my Wii U games are discs.

This just reminds me how out of touch some investors can be. There is way more positive hype right now than the mess and confusion that was the Wii U reveal (one of those articles cited that the NS reveal brought Nintendo's stock down more than the Wii U reveal).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lol okay you got me there, I meant that it reads like a market reception. As in both audience and investors

There is no market reception in those articles there's an opinion from on guy and then there's largely opinions from analysts which have rightly said the price and software will make or break this as the core concept isn't very revolutionary which I'm sure everyone including Nintendo is aware of.

Zedark

Do you honestly think they will screw over physical disc owners with some sort of digital only BC? I know I'll be pissed since all my Wii U games are discs.

Well, there is most likely no disc drive, so physical BC is probably impossible (by the way, the shooting down of the physical BC, both for WiiU and 3DS, was done by Nintendo themselves). Maybe they'll have some program for owners of physical games to get a digital BC copy, but I doubt it. So yes, I do think they would screw of physical disc owners (if you can call it that, other console owners basically drop BC as a standard).

MacTag

Banned
There's not going to be any bc. They won't do a Vita for sure though.

At best I could maybe see a loyalty discount for digital on the Wii U reissues (SSB, MK8, Splatoon) but even that's probably a stretch if they're all getting new content. Virtual Console will probably get a transfer fee of some kind.

Prediction: You will be able to orient the Switch tablet vertically when playing local multiplayer split screen to give each player a better aspect ratio than what you can normally do on a 16:9 screen. This would give each player an almost square area to play in instead of an extremely elongated aspect ratio one way or another.

The placement of the stand on the side of the unit would make sense with this. It looks like it is close enough to the edge that it would work both ways.

ASIS

There is no market reception in those articles there's an opinion from on guy and then there's largely opinions from analysts which have rightly said the price and software will make or break this as the core concept isn't very revolutionary which I'm sure everyone including Nintendo is aware of.
"attempt to unify console and handheld gaming fails to impress"

"Nintendo Co.’s big idea for the next gaming trend is one machine that works equally well as a mobile gadget as it does on a big TV screen. So far, few are impressed."
“The fact you can plug it in at home and take it away and play, so what? We were expecting a little bit more of Nintendo magic sprinkled, and I didn’t see it. The market is right about selling it off.”

I mean, all these quotes are not about the investors. They are using the drop as an indication of the overall reception. I can't use the WSJ article now cause I'm on mobile. But the tone is very similar.

What does "overly" expensive mean?

If the Wii U [basic $299, premium $350, and 3DS [$250] debut prices are anything to go by, Nintendo products absolutely do not command any kind of price premium.

This thing is dead in the water at $299 because it'll be competing with PS4 and XBO at cheaper hardware prices and with cheaper, mature game libraries

Sounds like it will be $299.

jonno394

Been thinking today, and wondering if this will have a custom OS or it it will use an existing one. For people like my sister, nieces, nephew, mom (the kids especially) etc, this could easily replace a tablet if the price is right and the app support is there. I know there were android rumblings (which were debunked), but imagine being able to get all those android apps: google chrome, youtube, netflix, amazon video, spotofy, facebook, ereaders, shit free games .....full support from the get go.

Ideally, if this is going to run a Nintendo OS, they have already started talking to the big players to get the apps there from day 1. That will be the important thing if they want people replacing the tablet in their bag with a Switch. I know they aren't trying to position this as a "handheld" and the battery life supports this, but if running these sort of apps uses the battery slower than demanding games, and the battery then becomes comparable to your average tablet then the "switch" from one to the other becomes an easier decision.

So what feature is it that Nintendo was worried about leaking? Nothing we've seen seems unique outside of break apart Controllers but I don't see other manufacturers wanting to steal that idea as is.

Been thinking today, and wondering if this will have a custom OS or it it will use an existing one. For people like my sister, nieces, nephew, mom (the kids especially) etc, this could easily replace a tablet if the price is right and the app support is there. I know there were android rumblings (which were debunked), but imagine being able to get all those android apps: google chrome, youtube, netflix, amazon video, spotofy, facebook, ereaders, shit free games .....full support from the get go.

Ideally, if this is going to run a Nintendo OS, they have already started talking to the big players to get the apps there from day 1. That will be the important thing if they want people replacing the tablet in their bag with a Switch. I know they aren't trying to position this as a "handheld" and the battery life supports this, but if running these sort of apps uses the battery slower than demanding games, and the battery then becomes comparable to your average tablet then the "switch" from one to the other becomes an easier decision.

There were rumors that Nintendo might push this as a 4K Netflix playback device. Don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Just because it isn't capable of 4k gaming doesn't mean it couldnt do 4K video. Look at the Xbox one s.

JoeM86

It's not going to be Android. There's no way in hell. Android is so open and crackable it'd give people wide access to their platform. They'd never go for that. There's no doubt that this will be their own OS

Principate

Saint Titanfall
"attempt to unify console and handheld gaming fails to impress"

"Nintendo Co.’s big idea for the next gaming trend is one machine that works equally well as a mobile gadget as it does on a big TV screen. So far, few are impressed."
“The fact you can plug it in at home and take it away and play, so what? We were expecting a little bit more of Nintendo magic sprinkled, and I didn’t see it. The market is right about selling it off.”

I mean, all these quotes are not about the investors. They are using the drop as an indication of the overall reception. I can't use the WSJ article now cause I'm on mobile. But the tone is very similar.
There's no context with those statements it's purposefully vague he could be talking about the market or his annecdotal evidence. The fact he doesn't bother to mention social media or anything as source of this analysis tell you you shouldn't be seriously putting much stock in it beyond the writers oppinion. We really have no idea what he based that conclusion on.

I don't think there will be any kind of BC, digital or physical, for WiiU games. May be some "enhanced ports". The systems are too different.

So what feature is it that Nintendo was worried about leaking? Nothing we've seen seems unique outside of break apart Controllers but I don't see other manufacturers wanting to steal that idea as is.

Main console manufacturers no. Cheap knock offs loaded with roms, sure.

jonno394

It's not going to be Android. There's no way in hell. Android is so open and crackable it'd give people wide access to their platform. They'd never go for that. There's no doubt that this will be their own OS

Yeah I know, hence why in my second paragraph I go on to mention Nintendo OS and the need to get the apps there at launch :)

jonno394

Plot twist: The "new IP for launch" is the finished version of Project Giant Robot

some sort of zany Japanese Giant robo title would be great, especially in multiplayer. You play as the giant robo, your three mates play as monsters destroying Tokyo.

We haven't had the full reveal yet, i guess we will find out then.

Some people are thinking that one of the features may be different control options for the joy cons.

OCD Guy

There were rumors that Nintendo might push this as a 4K Netflix playback device. Don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Just because it isn't capable of 4k gaming doesn't mean it couldnt do 4K video. Look at the Xbox one s.

That's something not many people have thought about. I think it comes down to it being Nintendo so people just assume all it will be capable of is 1080p.

The Nvidia Shield was capable of 4k streaming and output, no reason why the Switch won't be able to do the same.

Infact not only does the Shield provide 4k streaming but it allows HDR too.

If the Switch doesn't allow 4k output it's going to be down to Nintendo's personal choice as opposed to a hardware limitation, as the hardware is absolutely capable of it.

Ok it doesn't mean 4k native games, but for a company like Nintendo it's definitely signs of modernisation. I mean just look at the design, it actually looks like something I won't be embarrassed to pull out in public.

Übermatik;221085732 said:
Do you mean Osiris? And yeah, I'd easily buy the Souls Trilogy if it was ported... lawd, if they brought Bloodborne onto the system, day fucking one. Highly unlikely though.

Why would you play DS without online? While the thought of playing DS on the subway is appealing, without online is not worth a replay of the series.

Why would you play DS without online? While the thought of playing DS on the subway is appealing, without online is not worth a replay of the series.

I completely disagree. BB was my first souls games and I throughly enjoyed it offline.

I know it can be hard to remember, but opinions other than the ones we hold exist and often in a number much greather than we would think.

Nibel

Here's that annomaly I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NoaNr69j0Y

I probably should continue only over that thread where it's more tech oriented one to not spread stuff all over the place.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=221086965&posted=1#post221086965

Good catch.

I feel this confirms that the video was ready for September but they decided to add new Mario footage the last minute which meant a few more weeks of post-production; the reason why the reveal was pushed to October

Now I wonder if there was a game on the TV + Switch before and if so which one they decided to replace

I completely disagree. BB was my first souls games and I throughly enjoyed it offline.

I know it can be hard to remember, but opinions other than the ones we hold exist and often in a number much greather than we would think.

Never said the game can't be enjoyed offline, but a lot of the experience in DS games revolves around the online interactivity: Messages, co-op, PvP, phantoms...

There's even community events on DS1 to get that experience back and revive the online aspect of it.

And yeah, this is an opinion not trying to write it on stone and tell the whole world is an absolute truth, get your stupid patronizing for yourself.

orioto

Good Art™
So strange that multiple news outlets are saying the reception was lukewarm. When all I see is hype for the thing. I suppose we are looking at different demographics.

No joke, it's alwayyyys the same thing. It's a board and threads full of guys loving Nintendo, saying "omg i'm so hyped i'll buy 2 of them". That doesn't tell you anything about anything, regarding how desirable is the machine.

And when you try to be skeptical about how it's presented, you got those same guys here screaming to your face that you're a nintendo hater and that the product is great, and they'll buy two of them.

That's ridiculous sometimes.

I'll say it again, and i thought a lot about that those days.
That presentation was bad. It seemed good cause we were hyped as fuck and this is a nintendo console, and there IS something cool about the concept. But the illustration was bad, the game they showed was a bad choice...

When i think about it, the biggest problem was that this whole mini pad gimmick, it should have been showcased with party games, like some ubisoft games or something like that. Cause i think this part of the device is aimed at casual gamers, or small kids.

I think Nintendo didn't want to do that, and they showed it with a sport game and Mario kart, which makes no sense (mario Kart why not maybe..) cause those games are played by people who wants a nice control. They are not aimed at the people who will eventually play your system with mini pads with friends. They didn't want to do that cause they didn't want to associate the reveal (which was aimed at gamer community obviously) with party games to avoid a bad image from the start.

So, this is always the same thing, and Nintendo is ALWAYS in the same contradiction, forever. They want to have a product for 2 entirely, and antagonistic demographic, rather than having different product (i've been saying that since the wii). So here we are, they are presenting a casual feature for the wrong demographic, in the wrong way.

Let's hope this was the difficulty of having one unique hyper teaser and they have to show the entire concept.

let's hope they have different sets of commercials planned for launch. One with party games, really simple, convivial games with mini pads and such, and one for the gamers. Not aired on the same channels, not for the same people.

Also the biggest problem of the console is still, obviously its fucking identity. WHAT THE FUCK IS IT?? Is is a giant 3ds ? Is it a WIiU that you can play everywhere, that is not aimed at 3ds owners ?

I, myself, as a Nintendo consumer, am completely confused. I don't know if i want it or not (i want it cause i want the new mario and new zelda yeah, but i'm biased), as a product. My dream was a super capable portable console. This is not really what it is. It's not designed as a portable console and doesn't offer the type of game Nintendo portables offer, for now (we don't know that yet but they didn't show that). I don't know what the identity of the console, as in what game will it have, is yet. Nintendo keeps telling me this is not a portable, when this is a portable i want. I think a portable with WIiU+ graphics is AMAZING and that's what they should sell me. But they are telling me "shut up you fool, it's not that, it's a 300$ dollars home console with WiiU+ graphics", in 2017, and they think it's gonna sell better that way it seems.. You know that whole distinction could cost the life of this thing, really, i'm not even joking. That whole distinction between being an amazing portable or a cheap home console.

Can we discuss that after the hype is down a little ?
Can we realize.. I'm not even sure Nintendo can actually market the Switch, in its current form factor, in Japan as a portable, and they know that. And if there is something Japanse gamers don't want, it's to put their portable in a dock to play it on their tv. That's the reverse of what they want.

Anyway yeah, as usual, Nintendo wants to do many things at the same time and they make a mess out of it.

Jedi2016

I was describing it to a co-worker the other day right after the reveal, and he was getting more and more hyped for it, which was making me get more and more hyped for it, so... yeah, I'm getting one.

Ran rp

So, are the Joycons completely wireless? Can't really tell due to shadows but if they are I wonder how that works out for those who want tethered controls.

edit: forgot about the grip, so i guess not.

of0JUDJ.jpg

There aren't any clear shots of the connecting sides.

oMzcsNM.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
PSY・S;221095947 said:
So, are the Joycons completely wireless? Can't really tell due to shadows but if they are I wonder how that works out for those who want tethered controls.
Id wager since the base station is equipped with at least 2 USB ports, both the screen and the grip parts will be able to be connected and charged while playing accordingly. Its not that far fetched.

Volotaire

How about this 3DS mode I knocked up?

RbjGyGH.png

It can be done in landscape mode instead because the top and bottom vertical resolutions of the 3DS screens total 480 pixels. It can fit, pixel perfect, on the Switch screen (assuming it is 720p). Horizontal pixels total 720 (400 top screen 3DS, 320 bottom screen 3DS).

guek

Banned
No joke, it's alwayyyys the same thing. It's a board and threads full of guys loving Nintendo, saying "omg i'm so hyped i'll buy 2 of them". That doesn't tell you anything about anything, regarding how desirable is the machine.

And when you try to be skeptical about how it's presented, you got those same guys here screaming to your face that you're a nintendo hater and that the product is great, and they'll buy two of them.

That's ridiculous sometimes.

I'll say it again, and i thought a lot about that those days.
That presentation was bad. It seemed good cause we were hyped as fuck and this is a nintendo console, and there IS something cool about the concept. But the illustration was bad, the game they showed was a bad choice...

When i think about it, the biggest problem was that this whole mini pad gimmick, it should have been showcased with party games, like some ubisoft games or something like that. Cause i think this part of the device is aimed at casual gamers, or small kids.

I think Nintendo didn't want to do that, and they showed it with a sport game and Mario kart, which makes no sense (mario Kart why not maybe..) cause those games are played by people who wants a nice control. They are not aimed at the people who will eventually play your system with mini pads with friends. They didn't want to do that cause they didn't want to associate the reveal (which was aimed at gamer community obviously) with party games to avoid a bad image from the start.

So, this is always the same thing, and Nintendo is ALWAYS in the same contradiction, forever. They want to have a product for 2 entirely, and antagonistic demographic, rather than having different product (i've been saying that since the wii). So here we are, they are presenting a casual feature for the wrong demographic, in the wrong way.

Let's hope this was the difficulty of having one unique hyper teaser and they have to show the entire concept.

let's hope they have different sets of commercials planned for launch. One with party games, really simple, convivial games with mini pads and such, and one for the gamers. Not aired on the same channels, not for the same people.

Also the biggest problem of the console is still, obviously its fucking identity. WHAT THE FUCK IS IT?? Is is a giant 3ds ? Is it a WIiU that you can play everywhere, that is not aimed at 3ds owners ?

I, myself, as a Nintendo consumer, am completely confused. I don't know if i want it or not (i want it cause i want the new mario and new zelda yeah, but i'm biased), as a product. My dream was a super capable portable console. This is not really what it is. It's not designed as a portable console and doesn't offer the type of game Nintendo portables offer, for now (we don't know that yet but they didn't show that). I don't know what the identity of the console, as in what game will it have, is yet. Nintendo keeps telling me this is not a portable, when this is a portable i want. I think a portable with WIiU+ graphics is AMAZING and that's what they should sell me. But they are telling me "shut up you fool, it's not that, it's a 300$ dollars home console with WiiU+ graphics", in 2017, and they think it's gonna sell better that way it seems.. You know that whole distinction could cost the life of this thing, really, i'm not even joking. That whole distinction between being an amazing portable or a cheap home console.

Can we discuss that after the hype is down a little ?
Can we realize.. I'm not even sure Nintendo can actually market the Switch, in its current form factor, in Japan as a portable, and they know that. And if there is something Japanse gamers don't want, it's to put their portable in a dock to play it on their tv. That's the reverse of what they want.

Anyway yeah, as usual, Nintendo wants to do many things at the same time and they make a mess out of it.

I think you're letting your personal pessimism get the best of you. It sounds more like you're describing the confused messaging of the wii u rather than the switch. We don't know how well it'll resonate with consumers in March but the trailer reception has been mostly positive both on gaf and everywhere else. Has it been universally praised? No, that's why investors got spooked, but investors are notoriously finicky around product announcements that don't look like a surefire investment.

ThaBruce

Banned
I think concerns about the mainstream public having a lukewarm reception to switch shouldn't get any one worried. The PS4 was looked at the same way when it was announced but because the core gamer was enthused about it, it caught on and caught on big. The same thing will happen with Switch. I think the hype among the gamer community is real and warranted. I believe the success of switch with the core gamer demographic will then excel it into success with the general consumer - much like how the PS4 did.

Will we able to purchase multiple Switch's docks? Its seems logical to me since you can carry you switch console and insert it in a second home dock (family, girlfriend/boyfriend,etc)

I think concerns about the mainstream public having a lukewarm reception to switch shouldn't get any one worried. The PS4 was looked at the same way when it was announced but because the core gamer was enthused about it, it caught on and caught on big. The same thing will happen with Switch. I think the hype among the gamer community is real and warranted. I believe the success of switch with the core gamer demographic will then excel it into success with the general consumer - much like how the PS4 did.

Core gamers will have no interest in a system with the same shitty lineup of non-Nintendo games the last 3 Nintendo consoles have had, and there's no reason to think things are going to change in that respect. A few token ports are par the course. It's still an underpowered system that'll be quickly eclipsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom