• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrell

So....

I'm worried about how I'll be able to dock and undock my system when the dock is placed on the shelves of my TV stand

The shelves/levels, like most TV stands, don't have a lot of depth so I'm not sure I'll be able to lift the main body in and out of the dock without it being blocked by the TV stand shelf above.

I suspect a lot of people may potentially have this problem.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lay it face down, dock it horizontally. You're welcome.

Maximo

So....

I'm worried about how I'll be able to dock and undock my system when the dock is placed on the shelves of my TV stand

The shelves/levels, like most TV stands, don't have a lot of depth so I'm not sure I'll be able to lift the main body in and out of the dock without it being blocked by the TV stand shelf above.

I suspect a lot of people may potentially have this problem.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lol ultimate first world problems.

Wiiu sold 13 million
3ds sold 60 million

Both were a dissapointment for Nintendo. NS is going to replace both. So 73 million at least or NS is a big faillure.

While 3DS sold less than 50% of what the NDS sold, the real kicker for Nintendo was no doubt the massive decline in software sales. Although if I'm honest, they'll never reach the highs of the Wii and DS again. That era was a true anomaly that was allowed to happen through market conditions.

I think Switch will end up selling somewhere in between what the Wii U and 3DS sold. The real issue, I feel, is that as a device it's not actually THAT portable. For this reason I expect a drop in Japan compared to the 3DS.

18-Volt

So, what are we expecting the launch line-up to be?
I can see:
Zelda BotW
Splatoon Remaster
Mario Kart Remaster (digital)
Smash Bros Remaster (digital)
Watch_Dogs 2?
Battlefield 1?
Injustice 2? (If it releases in March)
DQ Builders / World of FF?

But aside from Zelda , which will also be avaible on WiiU, those are all ports of old games, which would make the line up really boring.

I don't follow N's studios too closely, which ones might have Switch exclusive titles ready for launch?

Unlike Wii U, there is lots of potential 3rd party ports for Switch to be had.
Launch day should be like this:

Nintendo: Zelda, Splatoon Ultimate, Mario Kart 8.5, Starfox Z Ultimate, DKC Tropical Freeze, XCX, Mario Maker and one surprise brand new game.
Ubisoft: For Honor, South Park Fractured Butthole, Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Just Dance and one surprise family game (Rabbids?)
Namco: Ridge Racer and a probably Japan exclusive Gundam game.
Sega: Nothing. Maybe that retro Sonic sequel, but I don't think so.
Capcom: Nothing.
EA: FIFA 17, Madden 17, Battlefield 1 and Battlefront GOTY Edition
Square-enix: Nier Automata and maybe Rise of Tomb Raider
T2: NBA 2K17, WWE 2K17
Activision: CoD: Infinite Warfare, Skylanders Imaginators
Koei Tecmo: A brand new musou game, similar to the one Wii U got. Maybe Nioh too but I don't think so.
Bethesda: Skyrim Remastered and Fallout 4. I think Nintendo themselves will market these late ports. As the reveal video suggests, those two might be biggest selling points of the system on launch day.
WB Games: Nothing I guess. Injustice 2 should come out for Switch but not on launch day.

oti

Banned
Level 5 have already acknowledged that kids are moving to smartphones and announced that they'll release more smartphone versions of their upcoming games. For example, Lady Layton and Snack World will release on both 3DS and smartphones and they are also developing a smartphone port of Yokai Watch 1.

Sure, but who knows that the mobile versions will look like as far as pricing goes. I doubt they'll sell the mobile version for $20 or $40, they'll be free and IAP. And the 3DS versions would be $40, right?

MDave

Nintendo are going to try to spread the software releases out over time, instead of blowing it's load on the launch window and then software draught for 3-6 months. They might be working that sort of thing out with publishers too so there is no gaps in software releases. Small indies might only be getting development kits now that it's been revealed officially?

skypunch

Banned
Yeah that's what I mean. Am I not using the right term?

I thought a bezel was the ring around the face of a watch. I might be wrong. But if you do mean the black border around the screen then yeah I don't much like it either. I'd like the game to cover a little more of the screen personally. Maybe it can be adjusted.

Kimawolf

For launch?

I think we will see Splatoon Rev2, Zelda, and mario Maker and Brawl Ultimate or something, with one surprise 1st party game that comes out of nowhere

third party wise? I expect Skyrim remastered, Call of Duty IW, NBA 2k17, A few surprise games, and I think we'll get a shocker from Namco with a Ridge Racer.

I'm expecting we'll see them sell as many as they can produce for a year a least, and it'd probably eclipse the Wii U world wide in a year or less. Japan we'll see something return to the 3ds/DS boom days, and the U.S. it'll be healthy and competitive.

it will be a interesting conundrum for 3rd parties especially if said 3rd party games doing well.

wrowa

I thought a bezel was the ring around the face of a watch. I might be wrong. But if you do mean the black border around the screen then yeah I don't much like it either. I'd like the game to cover a little more of the screen personally. Maybe it can be adjusted.

Bezel is also used to describe the border around a screen.

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/2156/bezel

Hm, I guess it depends on what the cables out the back look like. It's probably fine horizontally though.

It would be a weird oversight in any case. A lot of people don't have much space next to their TV and you'd need a lot of space under your TV to be able to put the dock there vertically.

FStubbs

Level 5 have already acknowledged that kids are moving to smartphones and announced that they'll release more smartphone versions of their upcoming games. For example, Lady Layton and Snack World will release on both 3DS and smartphones and they are also developing a smartphone port of Yokai Watch 1.

So what happens when the smartphone version sells 5-6 times the handheld version? :D

Linkhero1

I can't see it not having touch capabilities, I can't imagine having to use the controllers if you want to watch a movie or just surf the web.

You're right. There have been rumors that it will be capable of multi-touch but we aren't sure what for yet, but I suspect it will be for surfing the web, netflix, etc.

They haven't shown it, but it is.

It just won't be used for games.

Has this been the rumor? I know there have been rumblings of it being capable of multi-touch.

I hope the dock can be laid flat instead of stood up like in the video. I presume that's what the indent is for on the right hand side, to sink the cables in so it sits flush.

I guess it depends on the electrical contact for the TV signal and stuff. It might need some vertical weight on it. Hopefully not, that would be an oversight and poor design.

NeonZ

Has this been the rumor? I know there have been rumblings of it being capable of multi-touch.

The rumor mentioned in the other thread is that games can use the touchscreen as long as there are other control options (the touchscreen can never be obligatory - it's just an optional control method).

Snakeyes

They haven't shown it, but it is.

It just won't be used for games.

Not mandated for games or disabled period? Navigating in-game menus with a touchscreen is rather convenient, so latter would be disappointing.

The rumor mentioned in the other thread is that games can use the touchscreen as long as there are other control options (the touchscreen can never be obligatory - it's just an optional control method).
Good.

Neoxon

Unlike Wii U, there is lots of potential 3rd party ports for Switch to be had.
Launch day should be like this:

Nintendo: Zelda, Splatoon Ultimate, Mario Kart 8.5, Starfox Z Ultimate, DKC Tropical Freeze, XCX, Mario Maker and one surprise brand new game.
Ubisoft: For Honor, South Park Fractured Butthole, Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Just Dance and one surprise family game (Rabbids?)
Namco: Ridge Racer and a probably Japan exclusive Gundam game.
Sega: Nothing. Maybe that retro Sonic sequel, but I don't think so.
Capcom: Nothing.
EA: FIFA 17, Madden 17, Battlefield 1 and Battlefront GOTY Edition
Square-enix: Nier Automata and maybe Rise of Tomb Raider
T2: NBA 2K17, WWE 2K17
Activision: CoD: Infinite Warfare, Skylanders Imaginators
Koei Tecmo: A brand new musou game, similar to the one Wii U got. Maybe Nioh too but I don't think so.
Bethesda: Skyrim Remastered and Fallout 4. I think Nintendo themselves will market these late ports. As the reveal video suggests, those two might be biggest selling points of the system on launch day.
WB Games: Nothing I guess. Injustice 2 should come out for Switch but not on launch day.
You don't think Smash 4's rumored port is gonna make it to launch? In theory, it already serves as the main Amiibo game on the Wii U.

Linkhero1

Interesting if true. I wonder how touch heavy games will fare with other control methods.

Neoxon

I suppose motion controls can be a viable Plan B for whenever the Switch is docked.

You don't think Smash 4's rumored port is gonna make it to launch? In theory, it already serves as the main Amiibo game on the Wii U.

I don't because I think other games will come first.

Have a feeling Splatoon, MK and Zelda will all be there at launch. Smash is too much of a hype machine to drop it the same day as Zelda and others. They can wait on that and over the course of a few months reveal new trailers for new characters and stages or whatever they are adding to it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think ideally Nintendo wants at least one truly new first party game at launch. With the report that the reveal was held back from September to get Mario running perfectly, I'm going to go with Zelda and new Mario at launch, Smash a month or two after.

Kikorin

There are so much awesome games on Wii U that has sold a lot below their potential, so I really hope all these are going to be ported on Switch.

First of all Pokkén Tournament like someone said before, and I think is really probable because the game did really well even on Wii U and they are releasing new Pokémon for it.

Another one I'd like to see on Switch is Xenoblade X.

Malus

I think ideally Nintendo wants at least one truly new first party game at launch. With the report that the reveal was held back from September to get Mario running perfectly, I'm going to go with Zelda and new Mario at launch, Smash a month or two after.

I'm still guessing Mario is a holiday title. Maybe they'll launch with that new IP Emily teased.

Mario and Zelda at launch would be incredible though. Perhaps the unified library thing could give them the flexibility to have Mario at launch and still have a big game or 2 by the holidays, but I'm not betting on it as of now.

AfroDust

I'm so glad this thing looks like something actual adults would use. I've always thought that Nintendo products looked like toys. I'll proudly flaunt my Switch in public.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm still guessing Mario is a holiday title. Maybe they'll launch with that new IP Emily teased.

Mario and Zelda at launch would be incredible though. Perhaps the unified library thing could give them the flexibility to have Mario at launch and still have a big game or 2 by the holidays, but I'm not betting on it as of now.
Zelda, showcase new IP as a pack in, Mario Kart 8 and or Splatoon. That has to be Nintendo's launch lineup. The potential third party lineup for launch alongside those should make that more than enough for a killer launch lineup without having to blow their load with Mario as well.

I feel like we'll have to wait a bit for Mario, but it'll be launch window like Galaxy was for Wii. I have faith Nintendo, even if just for the first year, will push strong for this system. I suspect the first year of the Switch will be front loaded with Zelda BOTW, Mario Switch, enhanced Wii U ports like Smash & Mario Kart, and some solid 3rd party support. Perhaps I'm being a bit too faithful with Nintendo, but I just didn't get the vibes of confidence from them from when the Wii U was announced. I thought it was kinda lame from the get go, really.

I'm hoping that as the system goes on they'll develop a funk between making big budget AAA games for $60 and using their handheld teams to make lower budget games released at $30 or less, perhaps. $60 titles would be stuff like Breath of the Wild, Mario Switch, etc, while games priced around $30 would be stuff more similar to NSMB, ALBW, small puzzle games like Picross, etc. Keep a good flow going of games so even if 3rd party support ain't great, there's always something to play.

I'm so glad this thing looks like something actual adults would use. I've always thought that Nintendo products looked like toys. I'll proudly flaunt my Switch in public.
I've never really understood this point of view. You're embarrassed to use Nintendo products in public because they look immature (aka "for kids"). But the very act of caring what other people think about what you are doing can also be seen as immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom