• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran rp

I think that's just the plastic slide for the locking mechanism. I doubt that they squeezed in buttons in one of the most crucial mechanical parts of the entire device. But who knows. Shoulder buttons would certainly expand the functionality of the 'Joy-cons' though. (God that's the dumbest word in the world).

looks like a button to me

fcsnpq.png

Rappy

But they don't call it the third pillar. They just said it's not the successor of Wii U (1st pillar) and 3ds (successor of DS, the third pillar). So it's pretty much the second pillar.

The whole pillar thing only ever existed when they launched the DS. Every other time you see that mentioned it comes from the press which is evoking the DS situation when using that expression.
This is the situation: They called the DS a "third pillar" as it was not the successor/replacement of the Gameboy line. Obviously, that wasn't true as we still have no Gameboy line so the DS line has become the "second pillar". This same situation is happening now except to a greater extent as it's expected to happen to both the existing "pillars, console and handheld". This is where the "third pillar" talk comes from.

wrowa

Wiiu sold 13 million
3ds sold 60 million

Both were a dissapointment for Nintendo. NS is going to replace both. So 73 million at least or NS is a big faillure.

Both Wii U and 3DS were successors to systems that sold above 100 million units. While the Wii U was a huge flop based on any metric, the 3DS was mostly a disappointment relative to the success of the DS. If Switch sells 60 million units, Nintendo would almost certainly be satisfied. Taking the state of the handheld market and the difficulties of following up on a flop like the Wii U into account, reaching 60 million likely isn't easy either.

Hilarion

Well that's part of why I mention it. But then there's that whole Nintendo copyrighting and whatever fiasco for Nintendo games on Youtube. But that mostly deals with monetized content, right?

I mean, the 3DS can stream Youtube (though that seems very silly), and the Wii U can stream Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Crunchyroll. I don't think Nintendo would drop that support.

EDIT: Oh, I was confused and thought you meant watching. You meant uploading. Nevermind.

We're 5 months before the launch, we're way pass the prototypes phase. Should be started production for the retail units by now and Emily Rogers said that this is indeed the case.

Obviously, the final hardware and specifications will have been locked in some time ago. But they still could be showing a 'work in progress' unit.

They have said themselves they haven't shown everything, and they didn't show touch screen stuff at all, which is heavily rumoured to be in.

So I wouldn't expect any huge changes in the final design, but there could be some.

I think that's just the plastic slide for the locking mechanism. I doubt that they squeezed in buttons in one of the most crucial mechanical parts of the entire device. But who knows. Shoulder buttons would certainly expand the functionality of the 'Joy-cons' though. (God that's the dumbest word in the world).

It's not. It's a trigger. You can clearly see it on this shot:

7wFgY8J.png

Both Wii U and 3DS were successors to systems that sold above 100 million units. While the Wii U was a huge flop based on any metric, the 3DS was mostly a disappointment relative to the success of the DS. If Switch sells 60 million units, Nintendo would almost certainly be satisfied.
Why? That would make Switch their worst selling handheld (except for virtual boy lolz).

And Switch is replacing two products; console AND handheld. With wii and DS this market was 250 million pieces of hardware; with 3ds and WiiU it's 73 million.

Switch selling 60 million? That wouldn't be great..

So Nintendo isn't putting out any more Switch info for the rest of the year right?

Man, January and Feb will be jam packed with Switch info, promo and hype then. Cannot wait.

Peltz

There are a few things differentiating the Switch and the Vita that could play a part in the different reception.

One, Vita was (for a few months) home console-like gaming on-the-go. The Switch is actual home console gaming on-the-go. Uncharted: Golden Abyss is the former, Uncharted 4 is the latter, and that makes a difference.

Second, playing on-the-go is merely an option with the Switch. People can play exclusively on the TV if they want, and exclusively with a Pro controller or Joy-Con with a grip. They can still appreciate how easy it is to carry their console with them even if they never or almost never actually play on the tablet.

Third, Nintendo's home console games are pretty unique in that many of them feel right at home on a handheld. When you look at Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, 2D platformers like Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong or Kirby etc., they have all done very well on handhelds. It's more the AAA cinematic games with detailed textures, models etc. that a lot of people would just rather play on a TV. A ton of people watch YouTube and TV shows on their phones or tablets, but they will probably wanna watch Avatar on an HDTV.

That said, the Vita failed for many more reasons than that anyway. The PSP did fine and that was home console-like gaming on-the-go.

Great post, especially the third part.

Soundslike

Neo Member
Have you seen Fabian Mario Doehla twitter?

"Hallo @NintendoDE - soll ich mir eigentlich ne #Switch kaufen? Sagt mal bitte."
I dont speak german, but if im not mistaken, he is asking where or when he can buy a switch.
He famously said that "nx will be fantastic" and after that tweeted and said he was joking.

Do you guys think he was joking about nx and do you think he got a agenda with this tweet. He works at cd projekt red, thats why i care.

Xiao Hu

"Hallo @NintendoDE - soll ich mir eigentlich ne #Switch kaufen? Sagt mal bitte."
I dont speak german, but if im not mistaken, he is asking where or when he can buy a switch.
He famously said that "nx will be fantastic" and after that tweeted and said he was joking.

Do you guys think he was joking about nx and do you think he got a agenda with this tweet. He works at cd projekt red, thats why i care.

He asks whether he should buy the NS or not

TheMoon

He's jokingly asking IF he should buy a Switch. He is never not playful in his tone and speech. Gets lost in translation, even more so in text.

His whole interview back then was the same way. He was being silly the whole way through. Don't base anything on that.

wrowa

He's just asking Nintendo whether or not he should buy an NX or not. As far as I know, he's working as a freelancer, CD Projekt is just one of his clients.

Döhla is pretty popular in certain circles because he's a cool guy with fun stories to tell. The infamous quote happened in a casual talk show where he was talking as "the fun guy" and not a representative of CD Projekt.

Are you going for the classic "set very high expectations and pretend to be disappointed later"?
No, I let other fans do that. No hidden powers, magical buttons or Gta6 on Switch posts from me!

What do you think Nintendo expects from Switch? The machine which replaces two revenues for Nintendo. I would have high expectations... if I was Nintendo.

test_account said:
When the Vita was launched, some people here said that one reason why it sold poorly was because people didnt want console-like games on a handheld. They rather wanted bit sized games that were easy to pick up and play. I'm curious of anyone has changed their mind on this, especially now with Nintendo Switch?

Personally, i think console like games have been on handheld all the way since the first Gameboy, so for me its no major difference. Just curious if anyone has changed their mind on this.
I think this is a different situation than Vita, though. Vita seemed to want to be a Sony home-console-like experience, that was supposed to be secondary to your other Sony home console experience. But usually if you're getting a secondary anything, it's better if it's different in some way rather than being more of the same that still requires more money.

Definitely there have always been more home-like experiences on portables--Super Mario Land 2 and Link's Awakening are early examples that impressed me by feeling a lot like SNES games even with weak hardware. But handheld/mobile gaming would lose a lot of its appeal without having lighter fare like its Brain Ages or Candy Crushes, too.
ASIS said:
Virtual console doesn't need to include every single game out there. It can be select games, and the majority of games on the Wii U can be present on the virtual console without much hassle, including some of the games on your list.
Switch is definitely a step above Wii U, but not so much that emulating it as part of Virtual Console seems a realistic possibility.

Soundslike

Neo Member
He's jokingly asking IF he should buy a Switch. He is never not playful in his tone and speech. Gets lost in translation, even more so in text.

His whole interview back then was the same way. He was being silly the whole way through. Don't base anything on that.

Ok thanks, perhaps just wishfull thinking from my part.

From that tweet it looks like nintendo and cd project isnt in contact.

Yudoken

So this is basically a portable Wii U, right?

I mean the hardware looks nice but they should've shown some more new games for it which would heavily benefit being a portable game.

Also this looks like a perfect opportunity to resell their games which is of course pretty convenient and saves money.

If this would've release instead of the Wii U back then it would be pretty sweet but now...

We'll, I'm definitely more interested in it than the Wii U back then and I actually do like portable devices (for home use).

TheMoon

Ok thanks, perhaps just wishfull thinking from my part.

From that tweet it looks like nintendo and cd project isnt in contact.

Again I say: don't base ANYTHING on that tweet or that "interview" with him. One way or the other.

I mean the hardware looks nice but they should've shown some more new games for it which would heavily benefit being a portable game.

The sole point of this video was showing the concept of the hardware. Nothing else.

LordKano

It's going to be interesting to see what the first Unreal 4 powered game looks like on the Switch.

Before the reveal I was hoping Square Enix would finally let us see new footage of Dragon Quest XI, but seems like I'll have to wait a bit longer.

So this is basically a portable Wii U, right?

Also this looks like a perfect opportunity to resell their games which is of course pretty convenient and saves money.

If this would've release instead of the Wii U back then it would be pretty sweet but now...

We'll, I'm definitely more interested in it than the Wii U back then and I actually do like portable devices (for home use).
Most Nintendo games shown were direct WiiU ports, so... yes.

I spoke a lot of Nintendo fans. Most of them seem to be quite happy to pay again for the same games they bought max 3 years ago.

So, good move by Nintendo I guess.

legend166

Why? That would make Switch their worst selling handheld (except for virtual boy lolz).

And Switch is replacing two products; console AND handheld. With wii and DS this market was 250 million pieces of hardware; with 3ds and WiiU it's 73 million.

Switch selling 60 million? That wouldn't be great..

The handheld market has shrunk considerably. The 3DS was the last gasp. A dedicated follow up probably would have struggled to sell 40 million and there's nothing Nintendo could have done about it.

I think Nintendo can make a tonne of cash on the back of a 50-60 million, engaged userbase. Will it make them as much as when the DS and Wii were the most popular pieces of non Apple electronics on the planet? Nope. But mobile gaming has irrevocably changed their position in the market.

ASIS

Switch is definitely a step above Wii U, but not so much that emulating it as part of Virtual Console seems a realistic possibility.

Yeah, I was thinking more on a game to game basis. But since VC just dumps the game as is, I agree that it might be a little bit difficult after giving it some thought.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What do you think Nintendo expects from Switch? The machine which replaces two revenues for Nintendo. I would have high expectations... if I was Nintendo.

I don't know. You're not Nintendo, so why don't you let Nintendo state their sales target first?

Handheld market is not the same and the place of Nintedo on the console market is not the same. You can't just add 2 numbers and call it an educated forecast. A lot depends on the market studies and the price of Switch.

Plus, Nintendo diversified their income sources with mobile now and cashing in on IPs outside gaming (like the deal with Universal) for a reason.

73 million is a pretty big number even for the other players on the market. That's why the iterative consoles have been invented (edit: I saw now that you talked about Nintendo cashing in twice on the same people, so this fits perfectly now, everybody on the market tries to do that).

I don't know. You're not Nintendo, so why don't you let Nintendo state their sales target first?

Handheld market is not the same and the place of Nintedo on the console market is not the same. You can't just add 2 numbers and call it an educated forecast. A lot depends on the market studies and the price of Switch.

Plus, Nintendo diversified their income sources with mobile now and cashing in on IPs outside gaming (like the deal with Universal) for a reason.

73 million is a pretty big number even for the other players on the market. That's why the iterative consoles have been invented (edit: I saw now that you talked about Nintendo cashing in twice on the same people, so this fits perfectly now, everybody on the market tries to do that).
I agree with your post. Just want to say the Switch is replacing two revenue's. Two loose virtual consoles; thousands if not million(s?) double bought copies of Smash (so they can have both the 3ds and wiiu version), etc...

Merging two markets is only done when it's needed to survive. Expectations will be high.

We don't know how high...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I agree with your post. Just want to say the Switch is replacing two revenue's. Two loose virtual consoles; thousands if not million(s?) double bought copies of Smash (so they can have both the 3ds and wiiu version), etc...

Merging two markets is only done when it's needed to survive. Expectations will be high.

We don't know how high...

But it was needed to be done for Nintendo to survive. Accelerated downward trend on handheld market and disaster on a console market that it's not feeling very well itself. Nintendo had no realistic alternative here.

Instead of selling 2 copies of the same Smash Nintendo could develop more different games and sell 2 copies, one of Smash and 1 of something else. Or do more DLCs. There are solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom