• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdanVC

[*]Best of all, it will be here in 5ish months! What a nice change from the Wii U. Here is a trailer, wait a year for more info. Wait 6 months till you can buy it.
[/LIST]

Yes omg. 5 months will go in a blink and I can't wait for the major events/Directs that Nintendo will have prior March. I'm already saving to buy as most games as I can on day one. 3rd parties especially. It feels nice to be a Nintendo fan and have something to look forward with this company again after 1+ year of nothing but dissapointment and not too many great games (exceptions of course like the latest Paper Mario)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
People begging for ports of games with heavy online components are perhaps forgetting how simple and featureless NS's network is probably gonna be.
I disagree. I expect the Switch to have basic online functionality at the very least. Friends lists, party chat etc. Absolutely no reason it wouldn't.

TLZ said:
Emulation, not match it.
I think that's kind of ridiculous. It's like saying you need a top of the line 2010 PC to match GameCube (based on Dolphin).
oneofthose said:
so whats the common short abbreviation of the switch, too long of a name to constantly type.
I don't think anything "common" has gelled yet. If I were making a chart right now, though, I'd probably go with NSW. Ignoring the other things NS can stand for, using only 1 character for the part of the name that isn't the company doesn't seem descriptive enough.
I Wanna Be The Guy said:
A GTA V port would also be a good test game for Rockstar for the Switch. See how well a port does and if it does well they'll be more inclined to put their new games on there too. Though then again suoer cheap ports of the PS2 era games would make more sense for that.
I think any company doing straight up PS2->Switch ports as a test is just testing their own troll muscles. PS2 GTA ports would've been welcome on original Wii.
Matbtz said:
If the IR rumor is true, I really don't see how it could be on the bottom of the joy con.. You all can see what I can, you just can't hold and play with a flipped JoyCon ! This is just not possible to hold the joy con like that and be able to use all 4 buttons (comfortably at least)
Maybe not, but if it's supposed to mostly be a touch alternative when docked, you don't need that many buttons.
jacksrb said:
Replacing the 3DS? I have read/heard a lot about what this means for the 3DS, and Nintendo has nothing to gain by not taking a wait and see approach.
Sure they do. If they wait to see how the Switch performs before moving 3DS dev resources over, then it's multiple years from now until we see any 3DS successor games on Switch. Way late. They didn't wait to see how DS did before starting Mario and Pokémon for it.

Zalman

Usually I don't really care if a Nintendo console gets third party support. I mean, of course I want them to be as successful as possible, but as someone who has always been a multiplatform owner it never really bothered me.

This time it's different. Give me all the third party games on the Switch. The portability is a big deal to me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
GTA V, Watch Dogs 2? You're getting off the rails, people!

Even For Honor and Rocket League might be a stretch. Although they at least have a chance. But I don't know, maybe wait for some announcement first?

I know I'd be willing to rebuy plenty of third party ports just to play them on the go, and I'm sure a lot of people feel similarly. As opposed to Wii U third party ports that were either inferior, or just added some token gameplay features that didn't really warrant buying the same game again

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I know I'd be willing to rebuy plenty of third party ports just to play them on the go, and I'm sure a lot of people feel similarly. As opposed to Wii U third party ports that were either inferior, or just added some token gameplay features that didn't really warrant buying the same game again
I bought quite a few Vita games I already had on PS3 just so I could have a portable version of them. I'd do the same with Switch.

KHlover

Banned
Really hope Switch has a SIM port for that online gaming on the go. I guess you could always create a hotspot with your phone, but it'd still be really nice to have.

What's the latency on a good 4G connection?

Hindl

Usually I don't really care if a Nintendo console gets third party support. I mean, of course I want them to be as successful as possible, but as someone who has always been a multiplatform owner it never really bothered me.

This time it's different. Give me all the third party games on the Switch. The portability is a big deal to me.

Same. I always just get multiplatform on PC over my PS4, because it just looks better there and it's also a lot more convenient to play games. I'm usually on my PC anyway, so firing up Steam is a lot easier than turning on my PC and PS4. But if I could get games on the go, I could see myself double dipping on quite a few different multiplats

TheMoon

Let's recap what some other Nintendo launches looked like.

Defining "launch window" as "within 4 months".

Nintendo 64:
- Super Mario 64
- Pilotwings 64
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (Europe/NA) (launch window, Nintendo published))
- Wave Race 64 (JP/NA) (launch window)
- Cruis'n USA (NA) (launch window)
- Killer Instinct Gold (NA) (launch window)
- Mario Kart 64 (JP) (launch window)

Gamecube:
- Luigi's Mansion
- Wave Race: Blue Storm
- Super Smash Bros. Melee (launch window)
- Pikmin (launch window)
- Animal Crossing (launch window, Japan)
- Cubivore (launch window, Japan)
- NBA Courtside 2002 (launch window)

Wii:
- Wii Sports
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- WarioWare: Smooth Moves (in Japan, launch window)
- Wii Play (in Japan)
- Excite Truck
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (launch window, Japan)
- Eyeshield 21: Field no Saikyou Senshi Tachi (launch window, Japan)

Wii U:
- Nintendo Land
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- SiNG Party
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Nintendo published in EU/NA for launch)

- Game & Wario (launch window, Japan)
- LEGO City Undercover (launch window)

I beefed up your list with the missing first party titles ...

Ya'll going crazy over these third party games but the ideal game to bring us closer to nirvana is....

Dark Souls Death on the Go Switch Edition.....

Extra content contains Link as a playable character

Exile20

Nintendo Switch new mascot

Cvi_nEkVUAAdThB.jpg

https://twitter.com/TheAnnaTheRed/status/790592564277547008/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Astral Dog

OmG GTA V on Switch would destroy me.never finished it.
Yes omg. 5 months will go in a blink and I can't wait for the major events/Directs that Nintendo will have prior March. I'm already saving to buy as most games as I can on day one. 3rd parties especially. It feels nice to be a Nintendo fan and have something to look forward with this company again after 1+ year of nothing but dissapointment and not too many great games (exceptions of course like the latest Paper Mario)
#FE was very good

I disagree. I expect the Switch to have basic online functionality at the very least. Friends lists, party chat etc. Absolutely no reason it wouldn't.
Nintendo hasn't invested in online. Why do you think the trailer focused so heavily on local multiplayer. The online infrastructure will again probably be worse than PS2 era Sony online.

Nintendo hasn't invested in online. Why do you think the trailer focused so heavily on local multiplayer. The online infrastructure will again probably be worse than PS2 era Sony online.

image.php

cmon now, this is just silly....

Wii U online wasn't even that bad. I mean it obviously isn't up to date with the PS4/XBONE but I don't see how it's 14 years out of date either

I wonder if the Switch will have built in recording and YouTube/Twitch streaming?

Rumours about the left option button being the camera/share button imply that it will be, at the very least, easier to share content from Nintendo Switch than from current Nintendo consoles.

Speely

Banned
Twitch on Switch. Nintendo seems to be interested in esports now. I bet they have some cool dedicated functionality via the share button.

KAL2006

Banned
Yeah, Rocket League needs to be on the Switch.

I'm not familiar with Rocket League as much but isn't that a game people play online alot. When taking the switch out for portable play outside I'm not sure you would want to o!y it if you can't find WiFi.

Edit
Seem someone mention Overwatch same reason that fame won't be a big deal on Switch.

Something like GTAV would be cool as that has a extensive single player mode

Hermii

We heard the same for the Wii U.
Wasn't EA supposed to help with Wii U's online then the unprecedented partnership went south? At least it was heavily romured. This time we know Dena is helping with Nintendo accounts and they been working on them for a while. I have more faith this time.

DemoCracy

So, some things that I've saw in the video and my speculations:

1: Backward compatibility Wii via VC
in this frame
GnzDNPS.png

we see something like an ir sensor, the same we had in the wiimote
And the sensor bar?
Switch:
nQ1VQ6t.png
Q7AZxHk.png

2: Jcon have L/R buttons

in the video everyone use the joycon like if they use L/R buttons
Nrbkmql.png

7IY0XlE.png

the guy in the right hit the R button, you can see clearly in this frames in the video

Thanks for this good analysis; I like that. It is so exciting.

Speely

Banned
I'm not familiar with Rocket League as much but isn't that a game people play online alot. When taking the switch out for portable play outside I'm not sure you would want to o!y it if you can't find WiFi.

Just because it can be used on the go, it is still a home console as well, and benefits from primarily online games just as much as consoles that lack a portable mode. Not to mention that they could add a streaming lan mode for portable use which would add a whole new element to the game.

Coffinhal

I think you're right about the new Mario game. Having Zelda at launch and Mario during the Holiday season would give the Switch two very important games at two very important moments in its first year, and could potentially get the Switch to hit the ground running. If they can fill the period between those two games with a steady stream of first and third party offerings to keep people interested, they will have done everything possible to make the system a success. Let's hope they can orchestrate something in that vein!

Since the Mario Kart seems to be a mix of a "remaster" (same engine, models etc) and a new version I guess it could be there just after the launch or for the end of 2017.

I need at least 3 big games to buy it. Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 will do it. Don't really care about 3rd parties since I have a brand new PC, except maybe FIFA because of the portability, but I doubt they could run the next-gen version on it.

oh yeah and please have Mario Maker and Smash Bros, didn't have the chance to play them on Wii U and now that the NX is coming

oti

Banned
Anybody else really glad you can use the Pro Controller when using the Handheld mode on the go?

Because I sure am.

On flights and longer train rides maybe but on daily commutes I don't want to have the Pro Controller with me.

Clefargle

Nope. Playing on a screen that size when sitting back using a pro controller is madness.

Yeah I play smash on the Wii U game pad sitting on my table often. It's a low latency display and from that distance (2ft) it isn't a problem whatsoever. Your eyes must be fucked because there is nothing "mad" about it.

Edit: derp* am drunk

Lebneney

Banned
I don't know about you all, but I felt that these were the most intriguing parts of the NS reveal. The functionality with this machine is going to be insane.

Screen_Shot_2016_10_24_at_1_00_37_PM.png

Also, what do you all think, bluetooth v5?

Screen_Shot_2016_10_24_at_1_00_51_PM.png

psyfi

Banned
Well yeah, of course. That doesn't mean the Switch shouldn't get any online capable games, though. I just want to play Rocket League in bed, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom