• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://purenintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Nintendo-Land-Takamarus-Ninja-Castle.jpeg

No sensor bar is necessary.

Holy huge picture! And for what? What do you want to point? The sensor bar on top of the TV? In which case, as sensor bar is necessary, just not the on on the tablet.

Nintendo-Land-Takamarus-Ninja-Castle.jpeg

No sensor bar is necessary.

Also, requires recalibrating every round.

jts

...hate me...
Holy huge picture! And for what? What do you want to point? The sensor bar on top of the TV? In which case, as sensor bar is necessary, just not the on on the tablet.
In that mini-game you could aim without an IR pointer, the bar is there but it’s not being utilised. Thanks to the gyros in the Gamepad.

Basically since Wii Remote+ gyros got good enough to make IR... pointless.

wrowa

He's pointing out that the game is exclusively using the GamePad's motion sensor for aiming.

So, quick question. If the docks only purpose is to charge the tablet and supply power, hdmi and usb ports via a usb c port, what stops third parties from just releasing their own docks with more ports and slots? Well of course there would probably be encryption but I think n due time that could be worked around...

Wouldn't this hurt Nintendo and wouldn't a proprietary port be better suited?
Maybe nothing, but why should Nintendo be hurt by an alternate dock that has some extra USB ports and places designed to sit Pro Controllers on, or whatever?

Hermii

The thing with that option as the sensor bar is that for many people the console cannot be centered without obstructing the TV view, and some will even find it hard to place the thing vertically at all, as pointed before.

Pointer emulation via motion sensing sounds more feasible.

And also lets face it. When it works it’s great, but the IR pointer had a lot of issues. Needs that whole physical setup with some sort of bar, needs good placement, good lighting, and I’ve seen sooooooo many kids struggling to even find their cursor. Gyro-based pointer may lose some “directness” but I’m sure it can be worked to be really good and alleviates the lot of the IR issues.

This sounds much more plausible to me than the ir / sensorbar theory. There will maybe be some enchanced version of the motion + tech in the right joycon or both.

purdobol

mF8dpuJ.jpg

maybe the piece of tablet out of the dock can show some info like battery status, wifi on, date et cetera

No please no. Everything has to have a freaking led lights and status bars. Personally I'm sick of it. TV has standby light, PC monitor has one, router has 5 (including eye bleeding blue one at the center), console has another one even freaking power strip has one. No christmas tree necessary. Just wait till the dark comes and there it is.... wall of leds everywhere. Bleh.

In that mini-game you could aim without an IR pointer, the bar is there but it’s not being utilised. Thanks to the gyros in the Gamepad.

He's pointing out that the game is exclusively using the GamePad's motion sensor for aiming.

This sounds much more plausible to me than the ir / sensorbar theory. There will maybe be some enchanced version of the motion + tech in the right joycon or both.

maybe they are using IR like in the patents, to simulate a touch screen on your TV.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Ah, right. But that's quite a large pointer, to say so. I'm not sure it will work that well with the purposes of the touch screen emulation.

So I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos to see people's reactions and overall its been very positive, but of course I ran into one person who keeps claiming they do research before they make videos, yet they show that they don't...*cough cough SMD* Saying battery life is 3 hours, yet he doesn't say it's from a dev kit.

It's annoying to listen to someone say "my wife said this is what you waited for? It's just a tablet with controllers". And that's his point to say "well my wife is casual and look how she reacts to it".

I'm like screw you man. I can say the same thing about my wife and she had the complete opposite reaction. She doesn't play video games at all and she loves the concept and ideas the Switch has shown so far.

In the car scene everyone seems so focused on the dock that attaches to the seat.

Am I the only one who noticed the grip accessory for the half switch controllers they appear to be holding?
I'm not seeing it lol

wrowa

In the car scene everyone seems so focused on the dock that attaches to the seat.

Am I the only one who noticed the grip accessory for the half switch controllers they appear to be holding?

I think that's what people usually refer to as "a shadow".

:D

So I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos to see people's reactions and overall its been very positive, but of course I ran into one person who keeps claiming they do research before they make videos, yet they show that they don't...*cough cough SMD* Saying battery life is 3 hours, yet he doesn't say it's from a dev kit.

It's annoying to listen to someone say "my wife said this is what you waited for? It's just a tablet with controllers". And that's his point to say "well my wife is casual and look how she reacts to it".

I'm like screw you man. I can say the same thing about my wife and she had the complete opposite reaction. She doesn't play video games at all and she loves the concept and ideas the Switch has shown so far.

There is a huge possibility that he doesn't have a wife.

ASIS

Another possible use is that you use the right joycon as a pointer and the left joycon as a "nunchuck"

As stated, it can be just a workaround for the touch controls. Or Wii compatibility.
I still don't like it, at all.

It's funny how this is one small feature that I will probably never be forced to use but it really bugs me for some reason. IR is nice but not to the point of flipping the entire controller and completely screwing up the ergonomics. It's a nitpick I know, but compared to how great all the solutions were for Switch this.... This does not jive with the rest.

If it's mostly a replacement for touch functions, full use of buttons isn't really necessary. A button to press for when you want to touch where you're pointing and it does the trick.

I just assume you'd never actually charge the split controllers while they are split. And if one did, by using the inside place it attaches to the tablet part with, rather than the bottom.
Oooh I like that!

I still don't like it, at all.

It's funny how this is one small feature that I will probably never be forced to use but it really bugs me for some reason. IR is nice but not to the point of flipping the entire controller and completely screwing up the ergonomics. It's a nitpick I know, but compared to how great all the solutions were for Switch this.... This does not jive with the rest.

Also they are moving away from the Wii brand. Its something else.

Zedark

No one's identified an SD card slot, have they? Are we assuming it's on the bottom?

Laura Dale (and others here as well) identified a wide appearance on the bottom that could be an SD slot (some say it is a bar code). That is the only suspect we have atm.

Edit: also, Laura said she'd ask her source what that was, so we might find out in the coming days.

cand

d) Or the onboard storage only houses the game you're currently playing and a game played off any external storage is copied over during play to ensure that it's ready if you decide to pick the console up later. Which would mean you'd have to wait a bit before you could pick it up and play it portably but that'd be relatively transparent to the end user. I actually like this method best but it presents two issues.
d1) The size of the internal storage would then be the maximum file size of Switch games period.
or
d2) We'd see a weird situation where some games not bought physically on a cartridge or on internal storage wouldn't support portable play.

Seems likely you're going to have to manage storage on it pretty closely.

I think this would be the better solution. I'm thinking something like:
1 - Buy the game digitally and store in a external HDD plugged on the base
2 - With Switch's screen plugged on the base start the game
3 - A pop up appears on the screen (Preparing to switch...)
3.1- Acessing the home menu shows you the progress of copying process (this process happens automatically, by default, while you play)
3.2 - You can configure this process to start when you start a game or manually from the configuration menu
3.3 - Removing the screen from the dock while the system is copying data will result in a warning on the mobile screen: (< Game name> was not ready to switch =( Please reconnect the <screen unity name> on the <dock name> and wait for the process to complete. You can see the progress pressing the home button while you play)
4 - After the data is successfully copied to the mobile unity another pop up appears with the message "Ready to switch" and the characteristic clicking sound we all know well from the trailer is played.

This is not invasive and very reasonable to me.

Xhaner5

Neo Member
That sensorbar idea is interesting

But I came up with this one I posted in the other thread earlier today:

I'll share my wildest idea yet, what if the JoyCons sides are modular, or more appriprately, extendable, not the JoyCons it self having a SCD, but that you could buy separately, extra "JoyCon shaped" Expansion units that you would attach on the sides when you don't need the JoyCons since you're docked, and you could buy ones with more RAM for example or more CPU, but I think for simplicity they may come with a SOC, of 1 ARM CPU with 4 Cores, and let's say 1GB of more RAM and sold for 30 dollars for example, so the SCD connector could be hidden in there where the JoyCon attachments are, but more deeper inside the rails, but the JoyCons wouldn't use that extra high-speed bus, they would just use their own input connector also in there that we can't see.

We could be in for those Expansion pack & Rumble Pack times again. The joycons could actually be purely wireless without needing the input connector, but im not sure how well will that go with hardcore tournaments if the lag issue isn't fully optimized. The Pro controllers could have an option to be wired through their USBC and to the Dock external USB port.

Tregard

Soothsayer
So, what are we expecting the launch line-up to be?
I can see:
Zelda BotW
Splatoon Remaster
Mario Kart Remaster (digital)
Smash Bros Remaster (digital)
Watch_Dogs 2?
Battlefield 1?
Injustice 2? (If it releases in March)
DQ Builders / World of FF?

But aside from Zelda , which will also be avaible on WiiU, those are all ports of old games, which would make the line up really boring.

I don't follow N's studios too closely, which ones might have Switch exclusive titles ready for launch?

Just spitballin' here

From Nintendo:

Smash Bros Switch (WiiU version remastered + 3DS content + DLC + 6 new characters [Inkling, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Chorus Kids, Bomberman, Snake])
Mario Kart 8+ (MK8 Remastered + DLC + New Characters & Items + 2 new cups)
Splatoon: Ultimate Squiditon (Splatoon Remastered + New co-op story + New maps/weapons/clothes)
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU version but prettier)
Skylanders-esque Amiibo game (Potentially a Nintendoland sequel with added platforming?)
Giant Robot Rumble (Project Giant Robot, but a full game with amiibo functionality for extra parts)

From third party:

Skyrim Remastered (Fallout 4 GOTY Edition later in the year, simultaneously with PS4 and Xbone)
Fallout Shelter
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Nidhogg 2
South Park: Fractured But Whole
Yooka-Laylee
Hearthstone

Taker666

Just spitballin' here

From Nintendo:

Smash Bros Switch (WiiU version remastered + 3DS content + DLC + 6 new characters [Inkling, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Chorus Kids, Bomberman, Snake])
Splatoon: Ultimate Squiditon (Splatoon Remastered + New co-op story + New maps/weapons/clothes)
Skylanders-esque Amiibo game (Potentially a Nintendoland sequel with added platforming?)
Giant Robot Rumble (Project Giant Robot, but a full game with amiibo functionality for extra parts)

From third party:

Skyrim Remastered (Fallout 4 GOTY Edition later in the year, simultaneously with PS4 and Xbone)
Fallout Shelter
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Nidhogg 2
South Park: Fractured But Whole
Yooka-Laylee
Hearthstone

I'd add Mario Sports Superstars for launch day as well (especially if the controllers have motion..which is likely). It's the obvious Wii Sports alternative to have for day one (Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Soccer & Horse Racing)

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'd add Mario Sports Superstars for launch day as well (especially if the controllers have motion..which is likely). It's the obvious Wii Sports alternative to have for day one (Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Soccer & Horse Racing)

Ooh, that's a solid pick, also cements local multiplayer with the joycons.

BD1

Banned
Guys & Gals, I have this wonderful feeling about Nintendo right now. It feels like they've gotten their groove back, and this Switch has that sort of magical quality that has been lacking from Nintendo hardware for some time.

I am so excited for the January/February games reveal.

Good thought, although I wonder if Nintendo is so cognisent of distancing themselves from the Wii that they wouldn't want something comparable to Wii Sports at launch.

Just spitballin' here

I'm in for these three if they're available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom