• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know they released systems on Friday. I was just going by what that guy said lol.

If that's the case then I'm going with MAR10!

wwm0nkey

Actually yeah Sunday AND Friday are possible dates so

Fri: 3rd, 10th (MAR10), 17th, 24th, 31st

Sun: 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th

so those are the 9 possible days. Im gonna switch my vote to MAR10 because the advertisement wrights itself

takriel

Actually yeah Sunday AND Friday are possible dates so

Fri: 3rd, 10th (MAR10), 17th, 24th, 31st

Sun: 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th

so those are the 9 possible days. Im gonna switch my vote to MAR10 because the advertisement wrights itself
9/31 chance you're correct

wwm0nkey

MAR10 reads like Mario.

I'm sure some have already notice but I laugh at this.

I mean it really does right itself for advertisement imo. Just end the Direct where they reveal it Mario but then have it split apart to say March 10th.

Also if we say it 3 times in a row it will happen

Kebiinu

Banned
Everyone I spoke to, who know about the Switch, seem pleased/excited for it. I really think Nintendo has a hit on their hands! It's all on their marketing now.

I mean it really does right itself for advertisement imo. Just end the Direct where they reveal it Mario but then have it split apart to say March 10th.

Also if we say it 3 times in a row it will happen

That's a great way to do it by showing Mario and then splitting the Mar from the io.

What happens if you break the tablet? You drop it and he screen smashes. Will they sell standalone tablets? Because the tablet is the console.

It looks like very expensive tech and people may want to steal the thing too. I think an account system with all the games you purchase are tied to your account will finally happen (meaning not having to call Nintendo to do a transfer).

What do you do when you drop your 3DS and the screen breaks? Your iPad?

Depending on the cost of the repair you either send it in for a repair or you buy a new unit. They aren't gonna sell a standalone Switch tablet on the off chance that people drop and break theirs. You'll send it in to Nintendo and they'll fix it or you'll take it to an authorized repair shop and get it fixed there. Same as with the GamePad or the DS or 3DS or any other electronic device with a screen.

Yes, that means you don't get to play with it while it's being repaired but again that goes for like literally any other electronic device with a screen that needs to be repaired. You can't play your GameBoys or DSes or 3DSes or iPads or Wii Us while they're being repaired either.

Lesson: be careful with it. Nintendo typically makes pretty friggin durable stuff but don't be tossing your Switch around either way.

I agree that USB C is the smart choice, but I also think it might be a bit small for the kind of thing they're going for (just slide it into the dock without worrying about lining up the connectors).
Perhaps there's some kind of physical barrier preventing you from sliding it on misaligned for the port?

The plastic in the dock and device itself are probably keyed, so they can only go in the correct way.

Pittree

In case anyone is wanting to give a better look at the bottom of the device:

XqHQwPB.png

If you ask me the central port could be a usb-c port. On the other hand the white part on the left looks like a barcode sticker.

AzaK

In case anyone is wanting to give a better look at the bottom of the device:

If you ask me the central port could be a usb-c port. On the other hand the white part on the left looks like a barcode sticker.

USB-C would be good. One port to rule them all. One thing I want to know is if we can use the thing on a TV without the dock. That'd be good for when you take it away on holiday or to a mate's and don't want to lug the dock around.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The dock has to be really easy to attach/detach. I could imagine them using something like a MagSafe connector or flush contacts, rather than anything physically protruding inside the dock - unless they have a precise way of lining everything up properly.

I'm wary about having charging on the bottom though. Will it screw up charging while playing? Wouldn't be able to sit it on a surface with the kickstand while charging

R00bot

The plastic in the dock and device itself are probably keyed, so they can only go in the correct way.

Pretty sure there are this physical barriers you're talking about. A few pages back somebody analyzed some screen caps from the trailer and it looks like the way the plastic is molded on the tablet and dock will act as a guide so you can't dock it in a way that would damage anything.

Oh good, didn't notice that when watching the trailer. Good eyes Gaf.

USB-C would be good. One port to rule them all. One thing I want to know is if we can use the thing on a TV without the dock. That'd be good for when you take it away on holiday or to a mate's and don't want to lug the dock around.
Nope, no TV out on the unit, just the dock. Nintendo wants to really hammer that this is a console you can take with you, not a handheld you can plug into your TV.

The dock has to be really easy to attach/detach. I could imagine them using something like a MagSafe connector or flush contacts, rather than anything physically protruding inside the dock - unless they have a precise way of lining everything up properly.

I'm wary about having charging on the bottom though. Will it screw up charging while playing? Wouldn't be able to sit it on a surface with the kickstand while charging

Someone posted pictures of the back of it from the part where the kid is playing it on the plane, and it looks like there's some kind of deep slot on the back that could be for the charging cable to poke out of when playing in kickstand mode. Kinda goes against the other part of the trailer where you can see the cable sticking straight out of the bottom though.

Someone posted pictures of the back of it from the part where the kid is playing it on the plane, and it looks like there's some kind of deep slot on the back that could be for the charging cable to poke out of when playing in kickstand mode. Kinda goes against the other part of the trailer where you can see the cable sticking straight out of the bottom though.

I feel like that might be where sd slot is.

The possibility of porting third party titles from the Xbone/PS4 to the switch depends on two things: if the hardware is there and if the system takes off well enough.

Branduil

People have talked about Nintendo putting their mobile games on the Switch, but isn't Pokemon Go kind of impossible without a camera?

TheMoon

Okay take your bets, Nintendo always does a Sunday console launch so our options are 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th of March or they could change it and go for the 10th for MAR10

I want the 5th but I'm betting the 19th

You're terrible out of date. They are not doing Sunday launches anymore. Haven't done so in years. Friday.

I'm putting all my money on March 5th only because of that Zelda Botw Amiibo date thing that showed early March. Yes, it probably was a placeholder or something, but I'm going with early March.

It's not on a Sunday. Stop living in 2012, people. :D

TheMoon

People have talked about Nintendo putting their mobile games on the Switch, but isn't Pokemon Go kind of impossible without a camera?

They're not gonna do it anyway because it's kinda pointless. You're not carrying the Switch around all day like your phone. Watch exactly zero of their mobile titles appear on the Switch. Unless it's Mario Run: Complete Pack or something.

Speely

Banned
But what if there is something like a Pokemon Stadium Switch game that ties in with Go that enables Stadium-like gameplay at Wi-Fi hotspots that are also poke stops or gyms (or at home?) Use your Go trainer/pokemon to test your mettle. Could be a surprise early console Pokemon game that would encourage Go players to pick up a Switch :)

Yeah, I know. Let me dream.

Neper

Neo Member
I did the best I could
nvidia_switchqasum.png

The far right logo certainly could be a black and white Nvidia logo

edit: for comparison
NVIDIA_white_transparent_300.png

Nice! Thanks a lot for that. It is still unclear whether it is the nVidia logo or not, but it definitely bears a strong resemblance.

AzaK

Nope, no TV out on the unit, just the dock. Nintendo wants to really hammer that this is a console you can take with you, not a handheld you can plug into your TV.

They haven't said anything about whether it will do that or not unless you know something we don't.

Terrell

Do you seriously think Nintendo won't re-charge for VC like they have since Wii?

"Since Wii"? You mean the one time? The time when they were coming off a commercial success and thought they had room to negotiate with fans?

The situation has changed and it's time to accept that.

If there is anything that the last 2 handheld generations has taught us, is that people generally don't want to play home-oriented games on the go. Switch will let you decide where to play, yeah, but even then people will buy and play their multiplats on Xbox/PS systems for multiple reasons.

So OoT and MM 3D and Smash didn't sell? Color me surprised.

They will always be watered down ports compared to their PS4/Pro/Xbox S/Scorpio versions in terms of graphics,controls and online services, so yeah, don't expect people to be excited to play the last COD at street basket courts or at a rooftop party. There is a reason if your typical Mario stage on handheld lasts about 3 minutes.

First, Vita's games (which are what's being compared here) were worse than watered down ports, they're ports that were watered down so much that they had to rebrand them as entirely separate entries in their series.

And Mario stages have historically been 3 minutes outside the original 3D Mario type levels, you may want to use a better example.

You overestimate the power of FFVII, its 20 years old game. You also overestimate the power of a system seller. No console ever sold greatly because of a single game.

People still call it GOAT.

And no console ever sold greatly because of a single game? Are you really that forgetful?! I'm hoping you're kidding.

They should release MAR10 with this commercial

https://youtu.be/9ga3PKGG1kQ

Aaaand it's deprecated

I remember when i was thinking about buying a wii , i was stock rotating some stock where i was working and the bottles of coke i was stocking had a MAR10 date on them. I took it as a sign :D

if you wondering why i brought a wii that late, well i just come back from uni where'd i had been using my flatmates wii , but had quite a few games of my own.

Hermii

How?

Console in the dock, online. Pull it out, lose internet connection, reconnect with wifi from console unit. You really wanna lose the connection every time you take the console off the dock if you just want to take the game to the next level (= bathroom)?

Or is there magical programming sauce that can maintain the connection while switching (heh) from wired to wireless on a different device?
It would be the exact same issue if the port was in the main unit.

This is really only a problem if you absolutely need to bring the switch with you somewhere while in an online multiplayer match. Then it would take a few Seconds losing connection and reconnecting. Its this or no ethernet port at all (or use a dongle which would have the same issue).

I dont think you thought this through.

I think the pros heavily outweighs the cons.

Malakai

And no console ever sold greatly because of a single game? Are you really that forgetful?! I'm hoping you're kidding.

This is NeoGaf, the console that shall not be name will never count here. It doesn't matter how many records it broke. It doesn't matter how many third parties release dog fecal matter on it as well cuz Nintendo "abandoned" them. LOL

Yeah but there won't be a Wii U mode this time, so they will likely charge again ?

now they won't have the excuse of "no account system". re-download for free would be a good way to promote the nintendo account and a sign of goodwill towards fans which will be the early adopters...

We'll see. but honestly I'm not holding my breath. I can totally see the 1$ fee to come back.

They haven't said anything about whether it will do that or not unless you know something we don't.

Sorry, I said it with a little too much authority to my post but I got it from Laura:

There are no plans for the Switch handheld to be able to connect to your TV without the use of the dock.

I know it's not official until Nintendo says it themselves and truthfully yeah, it could change, but considering her track record so far on everything Switch related I'm inclined to believe her and her source.

According to our source, Nintendo wants to launch the Switch with a clear focus on the hybrid nature of the device core to marketing. While a handheld-only package may come down the line, at launch all bundles of the system will include a dock as to not confuse branding around the name. Nintendo considered internally the idea of selling the handheld portion separately, but had concerns that consumers who purchased the handheld without the dock may still think they could connect it to the TV.

But I shouldn't have posted it like it was fact, I was heading out the door and didn't think to clarify more.

now they won't have the excuse of "no account system". re-download for free would be a good way to promote the nintendo account and a sign of goodwill towards fans which will be the early adopters...

We'll see. but honestly I'm not holding my breath. I can totally see the 1$ fee to come back.

And that's fine, isn't it? If you bought a VC game on WiiU or 3DS because then you'd be able to play it forever and ever on every console, you're a fool to start with.

They have to port and QA that shit on a new platform, you pay them for the effort.

But goodwill doesn't come for free either, so a redownload free of charge would be a great move.

TheMoon

It would be the exact same issue if the port was in the main unit.

This is really only a problem if you absolutely need to bring the switch with you somewhere while in an online multiplayer match. Then it would take a few Seconds losing connection and reconnecting. Its this or no ethernet port at all (or use a dongle which would have the same issue).

I dont think you thought this through.

I think the pros heavily outweighs the cons.

Exactly, which is why I keep saying there is no port and there won't be a port.

Huh, I remember having to pay like 1$ to transfer my Super Mario Bros. 3.

You never had to. You could have kept playing all your purchased Wii VC titles in Wii U's Wii mode free of any charge as they were. You had the option to upgrade them to versions with enhanced functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom