• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I was thinking now about this, I wonder if a USB-C hub would be able to split the HDMI signal from the USB-C and if you can use that for TV-out, in case you want to do that at a friend's house.

Branduil

I was thinking now about this, I wonder if a USB-C hub would be able to split the HDMI signal from the USB-C and if you can use that for TV-out, in case you want to do that at a friend's house.

It might not even send the signal through the USB-C port. There could be another dedicated port for that.

And that's fine, isn't it? If you bought a VC game on WiiU or 3DS because then you'd be able to play it forever and ever on every console, you're a fool to start with.

They have to port and QA that shit on a new platform, you pay them for the effort.

But goodwill doesn't come for free either, so a redownload free of charge would be a great move.

honestly I wouldn't rant about a 1$ fee at all. But now that they have their account system, that the games already have save states and miiverse compatibility, I don't know how they could justify it.

What are some things you guys would like to see in a Smash port?

I think Ice Climbers is a given. I hope combining 3DS + Wii U stages is a thing.

And maybe to further a better relationship with western third party devs we could see a Skyrim stage lol!

What are some things you guys would like to see in a Smash port?

I think Ice Climbers is a given. I hope combining 3DS + Wii U stages is a thing.

And maybe to further a better relationship with western third party devs we could see a Skyrim stage lol!

Ice Climbers and other new characters like Inkling. I also want to see Smash Run return. It'd be a perfect fit for the Switch considering everyone can have their own screen.

Also, bring back the 3DS's Classic Mode because it's helluva a lot better than whatever the shit we got on Wii U.

Ice Climbers and other new characters like Inkling. I also want to see Smash Run return. It'd be a perfect fit for the Switch considering everyone can have their own screen.

Also, bring back the 3DS's Classic Mode because it's helluva a-lot better than whatever the shit we got on Wii U.

What about an Adventure mode like Melee?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nope, no TV out on the unit, just the dock. Nintendo wants to really hammer that this is a console you can take with you, not a handheld you can plug into your TV.

whats the difference though in practice? If the console supports TV out via a dock, that means it has the connections in the console to pass TV information, even if that isn't a direct HDMI socket on the console.

So you should still be able to make a cable that converts whatever pin layout the switch has, to a HDMI plug. Unless there is significant extra processing going on in the dock which I doubt. Also if the dock has a fan and the switch unit only has vents. Then in that case a TV out cable might not be practical

N.Grim

now they won't have the excuse of "no account system". re-download for free would be a good way to promote the nintendo account and a sign of goodwill towards fans which will be the early adopters...

We'll see. but honestly I'm not holding my breath. I can totally see the 1$ fee to come back.
I think the 1$ fee is fair, it's a new hardware

LordKano

My Wii U suddenly won't read my Splatoon disc anymore, is this the master plan from Nintendo to make me buy it again on the Switch ?

Branduil

It doesn't look like there is any other port on the tablet.

There are some shots where it looks like there is something on the side of the bottom of the tablet. Not that we've really gotten any clear shots.

Besides that, the commercial repeatedly shows people effortlessly removing and dropping the Switch into place in the dock. That kind of frictionless connection is not really compatible with standard USB connectors. You certainly would never want to drop a female USB connector onto a male plug.

I'm guessing that the Switch will use a proprietary frictionless connector in the dock. This will both increase durability and also prevent people from easily doing what you're talking about and bypassing the dock. The USB-C is probably just for portable charging and can't send any video signal.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also, missed opportunity not to call the Dock the Control Dock, harking back to when consoles were called Control Decks.

TheMoon

So. Guys.

The Wii U, right? Remember that?

Latency-free video streaming from console unit to GamePad screen. Was a thing. Super impressive tech, NTD (or was NST involved? Forgot which one) was really proud of their achievement.

Now, Switch.

Console unit sitting in the dock outputs to TV. Remove from dock, displays on handheld screen.

Make it a reverse Wii U. Use the same tech, beam mirror image from console unit screen to dock station which outputs to the TV.

Boom. DenzelWashingtonTrainingDay.gif

Someone tell me why it wouldn't work.

bomblord1

Banned
So. Guys.

Latency-free video streaming from console unit to GamePad screen. Was a thing. Super impressive tech, NTD (or was NST involved? Forgot which one) was really proud of their achievement.

Now, Switch.

Console unit sitting in the dock outputs to TV. Remove from dock, displays on handheld screen.

Make it a reverse Wii U. Use the same tech, beam mirror image from console unit screen to dock station which outputs to the TV.

Because the wiiU tech was limited to 480p 60fps. And there doesn't seem to have been any notable advancement in it.

So. Guys.

Now, Switch.

$$$?

And battery drain? Those are my best guesses anyway.

Because the wiiU tech was limited to 480p 60fps. And there doesn't seem to have been any notable advancement in it.

Yeah that too, good point.

linkboy

Okay take your bets, Nintendo always does a Sunday console launch so our options are 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th of March or they could change it and go for the 10th for MAR10

I want the 5th but I'm betting the 19th

I'm cool with that, my birthday is the 20th.

The screen was 480p.

Also, how is 60fps a "limit?" :)

Again, someone tell me why it wouldn't work. Real answers this time. :D

It might work. It would be expensive, it would likely be another thing to drain battery from the handheld, and it might not be able to stream 1080p 60fps, as that's quite a lot of video data.

But the main problem I think is that the market has thoroughly rejected the dual screen concept, so there's just no attractive reason for them to make the above sacrifices to include it.

jts

...hate me...
The "reverse Wii U" is a neat sounding idea because you would be able to take your game with you and still use that second screen experience when connected to a TV.

But I don't think a handheld can have power to handle all that yet, and as said the video that is sent over the air to the Gamepad is low resolution (for today's standards and for what a TV needs). Maybe 802.11ac can have enough bandwidth for a higher resolution stream (what did the Wii U use? custom wifi direct based on N right?) but again, power. Maybe in 5-10 years.

Another thing is that the Wii U Gamepad display had low latency because Nintendo had complete control over it, but if you're sending the signal in the reverse direction you have to deal with HDMI, image processing handled by different TVs and all that.

KevinG

Takashi Mochizuki tidbits:

Nintendo CEO says current FY financial guidance assumes 2 million units of Switch to be shipped this fiscal year ending in March

Nintendo CEO: No announcement planned about detailed Switch specs & price this year.

Analyst: Nintendo assumption to ship 2 mln Switch this FY meaningless now. If launch early March, not enough. If late March, it's great.

jts

...hate me...
Who wants to bet this thing is a straight up gaming machine with no 3rd party apps like Netflix and the like?
I'll take you on that. There's no reason for it since consoles started to have a usable OS and internal storage. It's just apps, and games are apps too. Netflix, Google and whatnot handle the development of said multimedia apps. Nothing to win by not allowing it, and a fair bit to lose (if nothing else, bad press).

Who wants to bet this thing is a straight up gaming machine with no 3rd party apps like Netflix and the like?

I will 100% take you on that bet. I love the concept of the Switch and will buy one no matter what, but no 3rd party apps would be suicide for them. In order for the Switch to even be considered as a device that you bring with you, it needs to have functions outside of gaming.

Genio88

Well i guess now it's clear that Nintendo had to put out that video for the investors meeting, if it was just for them they wouldn't have shown it until next year... So i guess now we won't be hearing nothing but 3DS bundles, Pokemon, Mario Maker, Mario Run and Nes Mini from Nintendo until January, when they'll leave the holiday season behind and will start a huge Switch marketing campaign

ASIS

Well i guess now it's clear that Nintendo had to put out that video for the investors meeting, if it was just for them they wouldn't have shown it until next year... So i guess now we won't be hearing nothing but 3DS bundles, Pokemon, Mario Maker, Mario Run and Nes Mini from Nintendo until January, when they'll leave the holiday season behind and will start a huge Switch marketing campaign
I just find it baffling how they think 2-3 months is enough time to market both first party and third party games. They need to get the word out and everything would seem rather rushed.

vern

I will 100% take you on that bet. I love the concept of the Switch and will buy one no matter what, but no 3rd party apps would be suicide for them. In order for the Switch to even be considered as a device that you bring with you, it needs to have functions outside of gaming.

But everyone already has their phone with them and streams shit there. I beleive it'll be straight gaming as much as possible. Position it as a hardcore, streamlined machine. Been thinking about it a lot, that's just my feeling. Get as far away from all in one box and other devices as they can.

I'll take you on that. There's no reason for it since consoles started to have a usable OS and internal storage. It's just apps, and games are apps too. Netflix, Google and whatnot handle the development of said multimedia apps. Nothing to win by not allowing it, and a fair bit to lose (if nothing else, bad press).

Browser I would guess might be in, but 3rd party entertainment apps I think won't be.

What's our bet anyway guys? Avatar? I'm not good at these things.

maxcriden

That would be a huge mistake.

Wii U and 3DS have Netflix et al. so I think it's safe to assume they're in.

TheMoon

The "reverse Wii U" is a neat sounding idea because you would be able to take your game with you and still use that second screen experience when connected to a TV.

But I don't think a handheld can have power to handle all that yet, and as said the video that is sent over the air to the Gamepad is low resolution (for today's standards and for what a TV needs). Maybe 802.11ac can have enough bandwidth for a higher resolution stream (what did the Wii U use? custom wifi direct based on N right?) but again, power. Maybe in 5-10 years.

Another thing is that the Wii U Gamepad display had low latency because Nintendo had complete control over it, but if you're sending the signal in the reverse direction you have to deal with HDMI, image processing handled by different TVs and all that.

This answer I can accept. Thanks for crushing my dreams. :p

You really wanna lose a bet, huh? :D

Not happening.

Takashi Mochizuki tidbits:

Nintendo CEO says current FY financial guidance assumes 2 million units of Switch to be shipped this fiscal year ending in March

Nintendo CEO: No announcement planned about detailed Switch specs & price this year.

Analyst: Nintendo assumption to ship 2 mln Switch this FY meaningless now. If launch early March, not enough. If late March, it's great.

Bonus Analyst: Analyst is dumb. Thing's not gonna move 2m in 3 weeks :D

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I just find it baffling how they think 2-3 months is enough time to market both first party and third party games. They need to get the word out and everything would seem rather rushed.

To be fair, Zelda is the big launch game and they've shown a ton of it. It seems another chunk of launch titles will be Wii U ports/enhanced editions that are known quantitities, with third party launch games also probably being mostly known ports like NBA2K, Skyrim Enhanced

They really need Zelda to do gangbusters as it's probably their biggest budget game to date with how long it's been in development so I expect the launch line up to be pretty thin to ensure that most who get the system get Zelda.

Given that, 2-3 months is plenty of time as they will mainly just hype the hardware features and Zelda with most of their efforts, while showing games probably coming later in the year like Pikmin, new 3D Mario game etc.

I was watching the Nintendo Life video and they said the Steamworld Dig/Heist developers said the Switch is a dream to code for.

Great stuff

vern

This answer I can accept. Thanks for crushing my dreams. :p

You really wanna lose a bet, huh? :D

Not happening.

Yea it'll be worth it in the off chance I'm right 😂

I just don't see how it benefits them nowadays to put all that stuff into the console. People carry around big ass phones with unlimited data plans, they have boxes already connected to the tv (or even the tv itself) that plays Netflix and Hulu... when you turn on your Switch it's gonna be to play killer games. A return to a true gaming machine.
Maybe

maxcriden

You in on it too then? I'll take my licks when they come if so. What's the bet though?

If I'm right, you change your avatar to Nabbit? :)

Hmm, how come not?

I just don't see how it benefits them nowadays to put all that stuff into the console. People carry around big ass phones with unlimited data plans, they have boxes already connected to the tv (or even the tv itself) that plays Netflix and Hulu... when you turn on your Switch it's gonna be to play killer games. A return to a true gaming machine.
Maybe

I understand where you're coming from, but by that same logic there was no point adding Netflix to Wii U or 3DS. I think tablet-less (who vastly outnumber smartphone-less) people will like it as an extra-large way to watch Netflix on the go. Wii U for some reason has gotten more and more apps of this kind over its time on the market, so I expect companies will be only more eager to put their apps on a device that has much wider market interest than Wii U has had.

Also, I think there's a component at play wherein Nintendo doesn't want to look like the only gaming system that doesn't also offer these apps. They don't want consumers to say, "hmm, Nintendo had Netflix on their previous gaming systems but not their new and supposedly improved one...maybe this doesn't portend well for how seriously they plan to support the system" (and other similar lines of thought).

vern

If I'm right, you change your avatar to Nabbit? :)

Hmm, how come not?

Don't know what a Nabbit is. Off to bing it then I'll be right back.

Edit: Oh... sure why not lol.

If I win the bet then I'll make you an avatar that says "Vern was right about Switch."

1 month ok?

Anteo

Don't know what a Nabbit is. Off to bing it then I'll be right back.

Edit: Oh... sure why not lol.

If I win the bet then I'll make you an avatar that says "Vern was right about Switch."

1 month ok?

What if netflix is there just not at launch.
Announced like 6 months later

I understand where you're coming from, but by that same logic there was no point adding Netflix to Wii U or 3DS. I think tablet-less (who vastly outnumber smartphone-less) people will like it as an extra-large way to watch Netflix on the go. Wii U for some reason has gotten more and more apps of this kind over its time on the market, so I expect companies will be only more eager to put their apps on a device that has much wider market interest than Wii U has had.

Also, I think there's a component at play wherein Nintendo doesn't want to look like the only gaming system that doesn't also offer these apps. They don't want consumers to say, "hmm, Nintendo had Netflix on their previous gaming systems but not their new and supposedly improved one...maybe this doesn't portend well for how seriously they plan to support the system" (and other similar lines of thought).

There's also the inevitability that the Switch will be compared to general use tablets, even though it's essentially a "gaming tablet." If you could ensure that it would have a lot of the same functionality (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video, Youtube, etc.) as normal tablets for a much lower price, then it's very possible that it could eat away a bit at the tablet market.

13ruce

Banned
I really hope Zelda: BotW gets a comparable amount of sales to Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, it honestly even deserves outselling them. Looks like it's shaping up to be the best one yet in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom