• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Being black makes me not want to go outside sometimes

We're really really really smart.

And extremely tenacious.

It'd be great though if people stopped beating on African immigrants.

Although I'm willing to bet that half the negro population around the world are aboriginal/indigenous
true, at the end of the day no matter where you from as long as you have black/brown skin your a problem
It's really scary to think that the advancement of the colored, negro, black, and African American is governed by the compassion or lack of compassion of white folks or particularly white men.
as the sayin goes this country only moves forward when white people are comfortable

Not if you're white, you don't (unless you have anxiety, of course). That's his point.
giphy.gif

This was quite the first page. I mean damn, lol...

I'm not shocked. I'm had GAF members in previous threads when I've explained racism and bigotry we face tell me point blank that "you never faced racism stfu!" and the crowd favorite "Everyone has been slaves!".

Not much else, at least I don't think there's much else to say.

I came back to CA to be with my extended family and try something new, I also left the Midwest to "get away from racists and bigots.", but I realized a few months after moving back to CA that me running away from racism would be me running away from my life.

Moving here has made me not give a shit about the color that a State has. I have family in the South and spent lots of time there, and despite there being hate crimes and such, there are many people within the inner cities and around that are comfortable around blacks, and that is due to the fact that these cities are capable of housing blacks and lower income minorities. That's why I've gained a new love for Midwest and southern cities.

SF is gentrified now, so, unless a black or brown person is in tech or in school, they probably will not be living there; that is my case.

Spending my adult years in the Bay has been tiring - I've dealt with so much passive aggressiveness. I remember being casually told that I was gonna get hung back in the Midwest, and that was with group that I had mutual friends with. One of my closest friends (happens to be white) said we should get going. In my head, I was like cool, they don't like me, so I know where I don't belong in this county.

Problem is that these blue cities kind of have a facade that they live up to. You walk into these places and you kind of realize that, no matter how educated, rich and philanthropic people may be, there will always be people that instinctively acct with racial aggression that is pretty much incognito.

e: I'm not trying to bash cities like SF, but I'm just sharing my experiences as a black person, you know, so you don't come here with a grass is greener idea as I once did.

I completely agree with this post OP and it seems we are in the same situation.

The thing with gentrification is now people who grew up in the suburbs are not comfortable around thier black and brown neighbors. Take the Mission for example, that place is segregated as hell. White and east asian stay the hell away from old Mexican locales.

Let's not forget the death of Alex Nieto.

I've accepted SF and the bay area isnt for me.

Let's not assume that we can feel exactly what OP feels, no matter what 'color' your skin is.

It is actually logical to know that you can't fully understand someone's experience just by hearing/reading/listening/thinking about it. The concept is called Qualia. The great thing is that we address the idea together, and let OP know that he might just be temporarily surrounded by that hateful/ignorant/arrogant/depressed/shy/fearful minority.

The best way I can give OP a hug electronically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxjC4CNG3_c

Hope you look beyond that our friend xoxo

Estellex

To the bolded could you elaborate on why you're talking about robbery all of a sudden?

Some of my family members got robbed at gunpoint in SF so I thought I mentioned that.

Besides that it is a great city. YOu do see a lot of vagrants from time to time though. I think S.F is also a liberal city so I think people should be somewhat open to gays and minorities.

RMI

Banned
Sorry OP, this sounds infuriating. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't want to go outside either.

I'm not shocked. I'm had GAF members in previous threads when I've explained racism and bigotry we face tell me point blank that "you never faced racism stfu!" and the crowd favorite "Everyone has been slaves!".

That's some dumb shit right there.

I'm very sick of spending my life on eggshells myself. After 30 years I've finally realized that the people who want the most sanitized version of me, fit for white consumption, aren't worth pleasing. It's like I'm dehumanizing myself already inside my own head. Society has fucked my sense of my own humanity up so totally. The worst part is the people who eagerly want to ignore and stay ignorant to the fact that I have to deal with such a reality at all. It's like everywhere I go, I'm hoping for more empathy than I've been taught to expect from the world.

Taking a walk at night in some flip flops, I get stared down by groups and couples as I walk by, and they often go silent; sometimes they mention me when they think I'm not in listening distance.

I don't look mean, albeit a stocky guy and I don't have a suspicious body language.

It's as if I don't belong in some places, despite being generally a person that's first to help.

During the day it's different with the refusal to make eye contact with me and a worried body language; as if I want to take what others have.

I don't even want to go to my job because people will immediately disqualify my information and go to the nearest lighter skinned person just to be told the same thing.

It's just annoying.

I've learned to beat this by just learning to ignore people whenever in a situation where I am the only minority.

As a white man, I don't blame you.

I am ashamed of how poorly this nation continues to treat people of color.

And Trump being elected was just...the biggest step backwards imaginable.

Top Bottom