• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben & Jerry's drops fortune cookies from 'Lin-Sanity'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Fuck it.

From this day forward.

Vanilla shall be known as The Chinese Exclusion Act.

Al-ibn Kermit

One thing I don't understand is why is there a negative conatation associated with liking fried chicken. It's fucking delicious.
It's because of the big beef lobby. Chicken is a tastier, cheaper, and more efficient meat source than beef imo so, they got to tarnish it's reputation somehow.

Al-ibn Kermit

Would any of you guys being reacting the same if Ben and Jerry's packaged a flavor of icecream for a black athlete with a mini vuvuzela in it?
That would make a lot of sense assuming it is a South African player rather than just any black player. The thing is that fortune cookies are pretty much the only Chinese pastry I've had so I don't see what other popular flavors they could have mixed in.

I am sure this is just a vocal minority of Chinese-Americans who are pissed off at this. I know that there is some debate on whether fortune cookies are even of Asian origin but I highly doubt that Chinese-Americans are avoiding restaurants that serve them.

I mean if a french player gave an endorsement to a specific fast food chain's french fries, who would give a shit?

Imm0rt4l

I don't see this as racist, but maybe I'm wrong for that? Fortune cookies aren't even chinese in origin. They're American, and happen to be in Chinese restaurants.

Zoe

That would make a lot of sense assuming it is a South African player rather than just any black player. The thing is that fortune cookies are pretty much the only Chinese pastry I've had so I don't see what other popular flavors they could have mixed in.

I am sure this is just a vocal minority of Chinese-Americans who are pissed off at this. I know that there is some debate on whether fortune cookies are even of Asian origin but I highly doubt that Chinese-Americans are avoiding restaurants that serve them.

I mean if a french player gave an endorsement to a specific fast food chain's french fries, who would give a shit?

Why does the flavor have to be something Chinese? As said earlier in the thread, other celebrity flavors have had nothing to do with ethnicity.

(If they really wanted to take something with an Asian background, shaved ice toppings would have made a lot more sense)

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Would any of you guys being reacting the same if Ben and Jerry's packaged a flavor of icecream for a black athlete with a mini vuvuzela in it?

Yes, I would choke on said vuvzela.

Or it would get lodged in my throat and it would be horrible to conduct meetings.

"So, we received a new procedure from MetLife and BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ."

Imm0rt4l

"Chink" is apparently a racial slur against Chinese people.

Apparently. Because nowadays every word has double-meanings and it's offensive to someone somewhere.

this post is hilarious. lol @ you not knowing that the word is a racial epithet. It's not even an obscure one.

Why does the flavor have to be something Chinese? As said earlier in the thread, other celebrity flavors have had nothing to do with ethnicity.

(If they really wanted to take something with an Asian background, shaved ice toppings would have made a lot more sense)

This.

Also, why do I get the feeling that while no one would dare make racist comments about Afro-originated people, it's perfectly fine to crack the occasional "me love you long time" joke about Asians generally (because we Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Filos, Malaysians and Thais are all the same).

this post is hilarious. lol @ you not knowing that the word is a racial epithet. It's not even an obscure one.

Someone else in this topic didn't know what "wetback" meant, and it ain't obscure either, and I didn't feel the need to go "HYUKHYUK" all over it, unlike some people.

So lol @ you @ loling @ other people like a small child.

Al-ibn Kermit

Because his ethnic group is pretty underrepresented in the NBA. That's probably one of the things that makes the media take more note of him.

I don't really see how shaved ice is less offensive though. There is no popular stereotype that I am aware of regarding Chinese people and fortune cookies.

Brak

Someone else in this topic didn't know what "wetback" meant, and it ain't obscure either, and I didn't feel the need to go "HYUKHYUK" all over it, unlike some people.

Actually they did know it was racist. They just didn't know exactly what it was supposed to mean.

Edit: Also, the problem is that you said shit like "it's apparently racist. Apparently" as if the pc police had just made up some new word that you're not allowed to use. And then further consolidated your ignorance by claiming that it was an arbitrary and meaningless distinction, as if there weren't hundreds of years of derogatory usage of the word chink to refer to Chinese people or asians in general.

Zoe

Because his ethnic group is pretty underrepresented in the NBA. That's probably one of the things that makes the media take more note of him.

I don't really see how shaved ice is less offensive though. There is no popular stereotype that I am aware of regarding Chinese people and fortune cookies.

Did you mean to say "un"popular? Because the association is commonly seen as derogative considering it's not truly Chinese.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The fortune cookie thing is racist in that it's racial stereotyping, but man, the "Chink in the Armor" thing is REALLY fucking racist.

Imm0rt4l

It'd be one thing if said you didn't know what "wetback" meant. But your use of the word 'Apparently' implies that the pc police are getting butt hurt over the use of the word chink in the espn title as if it wasn't justified.

It'd be one thing if said you didn't know what "wetback" meant. But your use of the word 'Apparently' implies that the pc police are getting butt hurt over the use of the word chink in the espn title as if it wasn't justified.

We've gone over this before. Don't really feel like going over it again with a whole new person, so here's the tl;dr version and we can both be on our way:

It's offensive only if it was meant to be offensive. It's NOT justified if the ESPN title wasn't at all meant to be offensive. It's justified if it is. It's unclear as to whether it was because in one hand, ESPN likes double entendres and uses punny headlines frequently, but on the other making that kind of double entendre intentionally is ill-advised in any context.

There's a very wide variety of racial slurs. As we can see in this topic, not everyone is very well versed in the meaning and background of each word. Pointing and laughing because someone doesn't know a particular one is idiotic and childish.

And then further consolidated your ignorance by claiming that it was an arbitrary and meaningless distinction, as if there weren't hundreds of years of derogatory usage of the word chink to refer to Chinese people or asians in general.

HUNDREDS of years? OK, kid.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
This.

Also, why do I get the feeling that while no one would dare make racist comments about Afro-originated people, it's perfectly fine to crack the occasional "me love you long time" joke about Asians generally (because we Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Filos, Malaysians and Thais are all the same).

Because blacks are loud minority about their rights.. But as it has been seen with Lin Asians are starting to stand up, which is good in my opinion.

The term is from the late 1800s..

Last I checked was it originated in the 50's.

This is quite a radical semantic position to take.

No, it really isn't. "Chink in the armor" is a racially neutral phrase. So is "Spic and Span". If someone uses them with full intent of having a double-entendre with its racially-offensive meaning then yes, it's offensive. If the phrases are said with zero offensive meaning behind it it's not offensive. There's nothing "radical" about that, it's simply logical.

ChiTownBuffalo

You're wrong.

OK, so I was. I'm not familiar with the word, it's logical I'm not familiar with its exact time of origin.

Feel free to point and laugh. It appears it's something you people like to do.

Last you checked? Like when you just found out about it a couple hours ago? Keep throwin out insults too, then I won't have to read your annoying posts in every thread.

Cute. I have a fan and I don't even know it. Tell you what: go ahead and point what posts of mine are "annoying", because I haven't even come close to posting in "every thread".

Good god some people in this forum are absolutely venomous.

ChiTownBuffalo

OK, so I was. I'm not familiar with the word, it's logical I'm not familiar with its exact time of origin.

Feel free to point and laugh. It appears it's something you people like to do.

You people?

ChiTownBuffalo

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ehhhhh...I can kinda sorta see the complaint with this one. Its not quite offensive, but I do think it could be classified as "tasteless" since Fortune Cookies are an American invention. Wouldn't see a problem if it was something genuinely Chinese.

ChiTownBuffalo

Wat. You thought I meant "you people" in a racial way, don't you?

I didn't. "You people" means "the kind of people who go around the internet pointing and laughing at others whenever they admit they were in the wrong".

I meant that you are a shitstain.

Wat. You thought I meant "you people" in a racial way, don't you?

I didn't. "You people" means "the kind of people who go around the internet pointing and laughing at others whenever they admit they were in the wrong".

"This dude"? You know me now?

Can you take a couple of deep, relaxing breaths? I meant it was a stupid argument and you said stupid things--I mean you really, really did, you apparently argued for nearly a full day about something you were completely ignorant about before you decided to type "chink" into Wikipedia--but calling someone a "shitstain" is a ticket to bansville and just not worth the trouble.

He misunderstood what you meant by "you people" (which still sounds hilariously petty) and shouldn't have gotten so pissed over an argument with someone who literally had no idea what they were talking about.

nateeasy

Banned
CalmDown.jpg

Can you take a couple of deep, relaxing breaths? I meant it was a stupid argument and you said stupid things--I mean you really, really did, you apparently argued for nearly a full day about something you were completely ignorant about before you decided to type "chink" into Wikipedia--but calling someone a "shitstain" is a ticket to bansville and just not worth the trouble.

He misunderstood what you meant by "you people" (which still sounds hilariously petty) and shouldn't have gotten so pissed over an argument with someone who literally had no idea what they were talking about.

All right. Stupid argument, yes. Shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that "ch!nk" is a new made up word (even though a lot of "offensive" words are. Now I know better). Worse yet, I shouldn't have assumed that its origin in the 1950's was 100% correct. I still believe context of words is important in believing whether or not a word is supposed to be offensive, and I obviously should've stuck to that point because that's pretty much where my knowledge on the topic ends.

I apologize for my rampant display of ignorance there. "You people" was a pretty bad choice of words as well, which is why I clarified it but the damage had likely been done at that point.

Blackace

All right. Stupid argument, yes. Shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that "ch!nk" is a new made up word (even though a lot of "offensive" words are. Now I know better). Worse yet, I shouldn't have assumed that its origin in the 1950's was 100% correct. I still believe context of words is important in believing whether or not a word is supposed to be offensive, and I obviously should've stuck to that point because that's pretty much where my knowledge on the topic ends.

I apologize for my rampant display of ignorance there. "You people" was a pretty bad choice of words as well, which is why I clarified it but the damage had likely been done at that point.

chink in the armor is an old saying but using it with an Asian, the only Asian, in the NBA right now.. is just silly and should never have happened..

It's like using a term you said "Spic and Span" with Rubio..

Or "Tar-Baby" with Rondo..

All are perfectly normal sayings but all double as racial insults..

chink in the armor is an old saying but using it with an Asian, the only Asian, in the NBA right now.. is just silly and should never have happened..

You forgot Yi Jianlian.

Well that is easy to do... because he sucks..

But the only Asian player starting and doing something.. is Lin

So you mean to tell me that an Asian basketball player in the NBA has to be more than just Asian to get any sort of media attention or recognition?

Blackace

So you mean to tell me that an Asian basketball player in the NBA has to be more than just Asian to get any sort of media attention or recognition?

They hyped Yi until he blew... Lin didn't get much love because he wasn't a true import..

Loofy

The use of spic and span and tar baby have been criticized regardless of whether its referring to latinos or africans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spic_and_Span
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_baby

This is what I was saying that you shouldnt make rules for yourself. If we're gonna accept that these arent racist phrases by themselves, then they should be used for everyone. Spic and span isnt a common sports phrase, but if spic and span was making a commercial, it would be stupid if they banned latinos from auditioning.. maybe racist.

If it was an honest mistake on the writer's part (as in, used it without realizing the double entendre) I don't think it's something to be offended about.

Of course, he said it was unintentional but at this point I highly doubt he'd be going "Yep, I totally wanted to be clever there".

cdyhybrid

I can't believe some of the posts in this thread. You can argue technicalities all you want but the fact is that even if they weren't intending to be racist, the headline reads as if they were intending to use a slur as a pun. For that reason alone they should not have ran it. It doesn't matter if there's a certain way to look at it that makes it non-racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom