• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Mendelsohn will play Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Origins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they could have gone gritty and edgy and just called it:

H O O D

There legit was a Wachowski script set up at Warner Brothers with that title and they wanted Will Smith in the title role with the Wachowskis directing. It was a "modern, urban take on the Robin Hood myth.”

I'd rather have this version made

shira

c7hztS3.jpg

no lil jon for little john?

kunk-rum.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This reeks of paint by numbers filmmaking. Mendelsohn is the new Waltz, where every boilerplate blockbuster is going to want him to elevate their villain roles. I like Robin Hood, I really do. Used to read the stories as a kid. But "Origins." Come on now. Y'all already on some Legend of Tarzan blandness.

There legit was a Wachowski script set up at Warner Brothers with that title and they wanted Will Smith in the title role with the Wachowskis directing. It was a "modern, urban take on the Robin Hood myth.”

I'd rather have this version made

I'm glad I hadn't imagined this. Wasn't there also one where Robin Hood was the Sheriff of Nottingham's secret identity?

Wouldn't it be Robin Hood: Reloaded?

Restrung.

sparkzero

Do we really need another Robin Hood movie? Is this one really going to stand out so much that it will be worth while endeavor? I don't know but I'm willing to bet no it won't.

Hollywood thinks we do. While Lionsgate develops the Robin Hood Origins movie, other adaptations are announced by Universal and Sony. Sony even wants an Robin Hood Cinematic Universe (not kidding).

tomtom94

Wasn't that the name of Ridley Scott's adaptation at some point in its development cycle? What goes around comes around I guess.

Arials

Looks utterly awful.

This did make me think though, a "modern" Robin Hood in the vein of that Romeo + Juliet film could work, and I can see I'm not the first in the thread to think that. If you're taking liberties with the old stories you might as well do something more interesting and original with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom