• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jamie Foxx cast as Lil' Jon in Robin Hood: Origins (w/ Taron Egerton as Robin Hood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miker

EXCLUSIVE: Jamie Foxx did a good impression of Steve Harvey at last night’s Golden Globes, but here’s his next big-screen turn: He’ll play Little John in Robin Hood: Origins, the gritty Otto Bathurst-directed film that Lionsgate will put into production late summer or fall. He joins Kingsman: The Secret Service star Taron Egerton, who plays the title role, and Eve Hewson, who is set to play Maid Marian in a film that stars production after Egerton wraps the Kingsman sequel.

Foxx’s character is more in the mold of the muscular turns he has put into films like Django Unchained than some wizened mentor. Little John is a battle-hardened but war-weary veteran of The Crusades who starts out distrustful of Robin Hood (they fought on opposite sides), and then warms to the young hero in the gritty revisionist take on the legend.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/jamie-f...tle-john-taron-egerton-eve-hewson-1201680584/

Uh...huh. Frankly it sounds awful, and the "Origins" subtitle pretty much guarantees as much, but I guess I'm happy to see Taron Egerton getting more work.

Lil Jon
KuGsj.gif

Not

Banned
Oh man can I not wait to watch the Honest Trailer, Half in the Bag, HDTGM and eventual Rifftrax for this movie

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Who comes up with this tripe? This is a terrible idea no on asked for. Also they're a bit late for the whole Nolan-esque gritty reboot train.

I don't think any Robin Hood movie can top the Kevin Costner one (even though he has no british accent in it)...am I crazy for thinking that?

Miker

I don't think any Robin Hood movie can top the Kevin Costner one (even though he has no british accent in it)...am I crazy for thinking that?

You're gonna catch shit for this opinion but, damnit, Kevin Costner playing Kevin Costner playing Robin. GOAT.

I saw it as a kid when it aired on network TV and thought it was okay. Plus, it has Alan Rickman.

That's how i totally read the title and told 3 people before I realized I was wrong...

Little John was one character too long, so I did what I had to.

Loxley

I have decided that I am not looking forward to this.

Good grief, after the Crowe film you'd think the idea of combining Robin Hood and "gritty" would be the last thing anybody would want to do.

DiscoJer

Anyway, isn't Little John supposed to be really big? The little being ironic. Jamie Foxx is a fairly short, skinny dude. I could see him as Will Scarlet

The British didn't have British accents then. That's a relatively modern thing, actually.. They started speaking with a non-rhotic (not saying their "rs") in the early 19th century.

Basically Americans talk like the British did, except in some places with a lot of contract with Britain (New York/Boston, though those accents developed differently).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English

Not

Banned
Anyway, isn't Little John supposed to be really big? The little being ironic. Jamie Foxx is a fairly short, skinny dude. I could see him as Will Scarlet

The British didn't have British accents then. That's a relatively modern thing, actually.. They started speaking with a non-rhotic (not saying their "rs") in the early 19th century.

Basically Americans talk like the British did, except in some places with a lot of contract with Britain (New York/Boston, though those accents developed differently).

Wyte wot? railee?

TIL

jesu

I'm British and I say my r's.
What are you talking about?

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reading the wiki page

except the South West, the southern West Midlands, and parts of Lancashire—as well as the English dialects of Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and some parts of the southern and eastern coastal United States.

People in Lancashire sound nothing like your general US accent.
You're getting mixed up because of Southerners.

Ithil

Don't like all of them show him "becoming" Robin Hood? Certainly most of the ones in the last 25 years.

I've read a bit on that. That, and "soccer" wasn't started by the americans.

I have a special place in my heart for that movie, and still probably my favorite Robin Hood adaptation with Men In Tights as its companion piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom