• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Anime Season 2 |OT| wacky waving inflatable sword man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turmoil

Banned
https://twitter.com/DrakeGators/status/868352679369748480

giphy.gif

I'm dying here lmao

That'd have more fluid animation for one thing.

Can't wait till they animate the boat arc. Just 12 episodes of an MS paint boat super imposed onto a static image of water as Forces plays in the back but it was recorded on a kazoo.

That would be a weapon to surpass endless eight lolol

Kinyou

The animation team just gave up with that walking scene. It's truly amazing

I'm starting to think this might be a cry for help

Tizoc

Y'all should watch the 2012 Kingdom anime, just to see how far cgi has come since then in anime productions

Gitaroo

If I were the animator I would have quite my job and leave the industry in shame. I seriously hope they would just axe this show right now.

Gulz1992

So...I know I'm beating a dead horse when I say that the PS2 game looks better than this show. But it needs to be stressed that this is true not only because of the visuals, but also the direction. Just look at this scene from the game

Ja0spw1.gif

and compare it to this

nBEoW5t.gif

The director, Shin Itagaki, has absolutely no idea how to direct 3D or action. The best way I can describe his method of directing this anime is that it feels like what Uwe Boll would have done if he had made a PS1 FMV. I'm honestly shocked by how bad it is.

Order

I've been reading Berserk for the first time and I just made it to
Guts fighting the sorcerer who is casting tornadoes and tsunamis everywhere.

I can't wait for the show to get to this part. I really want to see how awful they'll make it look.

Mendrox

I've been reading Berserk for the first time and I just made it to
Guts fighting the sorcerer who is casting tornadoes and tsunamis everywhere.

I can't wait for the show to get to this part. I really want to see how awful they'll make it look.

They wont so dont expect it. I dont think the anime sells well, Yes manga sales were good again, but I dont think the anime did good for the series. I also dont think there will be a season 3 from this Studio ever.

Jeez, it's not like the show is rendering these scenes in real time and is getting frame drops.

I'm willing to guess that the animation is choppy in the first half because an animator individually keyed out every single frame, instead of just the key poses to let the interpolation help.

And then maybe the frame rate during the attack is lower in order to match the 2D effects. Resorting to 12 fps during a 3d zoom in looks terrible, but it will at least guarantee that the 2d effects wouldn't feel like they're strobing.

Most likely though, everything is rushed and terrible and all sorts of issues are going wrong. What a mess.

Like. This show has always had some pretty bad animation, but WHAt THE FUCK with that last episode? Holy shit. It's starting to look like an early student fan project. I seriously think I'm going to drop it and just try to get up to speed with the manga. I NEVER do that.

I think I like this anime way more than most people.

The music, voice acting and story are enough to get me excited to watch each week and ignore the subpar animation.

That being said, even I was pretty disappointed with this last episode.

rackham

Banned
oof. some of those scenes with Zodd and Skull Knight looked like an N64 game.

I'd rather have this trash fire than nothing though.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
oof. some of those scenes with Zodd and Skull Knight looked like an N64 game.

I'd rather have this trash fire than nothing though.

I'm with you. All I can do is pray the Bluray cleans it up somewhat. I know a lot of anime have made drastic fixes for the Bluray.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This show is a clever ruse to make you buy motion sickness pills.

Like. This show has always had some pretty bad animation, but WHAt THE FUCK with that last episode? Holy shit. It's starting to look like an early student fan project. I seriously think I'm going to drop it and just try to get up to speed with the manga. I NEVER do that.

Wait, why are you watching this show if you're not a fan of the manga already?

I legit would rather have nothing. This anime existing hurts the possibility of it getting a proper adaption.

But this and the Golden Age movies are the only adaptations since the '90s, no?

Like others have said, I'll take what I can get. I'm not convinced anyone else would have done it any time soon.

Also, I'll be completely honest, I always knew of Berserk but I never really got into the series until I started watching this anime last year. After watching the first couple of episodes, I picked up the Golden Age movies and I've since started reading the manga as well. I haven't seen the original '90s anime yet.

LotusHD

Banned
If there's any silver lining, it's that it will hopefully get people to read the manga and put this behind them lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Like others have said, I'll take what I can get. I'm not convinced anyone else would have done it any time soon.

Also, I'll be completely honest, I always knew of Berserk but I never really got into the series until I started watching this anime last year. After watching the first couple of episodes, I picked up the Golden Age movies and I've since started reading the manga as well. I haven't seen the original '90s anime yet.

The original 90's anime shits on this current adaptation in almost every way imaginable. Even with its small budget it had better fucking animation than this turd.

Brakke

Banned
I don't know shit about Berserk except that people like it (Jason on Giant Bomb been talking it up some lately). I watched the first couple eps of the first season (2016 one, on Cruncy Roll) the other day and it seems cool? The animation is kinda hinky but if my eyes on are subtitles I don't notice it as much (lol). Shit is intense and the story is playing around with things I like.

But y'all on the last couple pages seem to be grudge-watching this second season. Should I just bail now or is the first worth seeing through?

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

I agree, I was buying the releases of the 1997 anime individually when they came to America. I'm 34 now watching this and didn't want to have to wait till I'm 40, 50, or Miura dies for them to finally care enough.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't know shit about Berserk except that people like it (Jason on Giant Bomb been talking it up some lately). I watched the first couple eps of the first season the other day and it seems cool? The animation is kinda hinky but if my eyes on are subtitles I don't notice it as much (lol). Shit is intense and the story is playing around with things I like.

But y'all on the last couple pages seem to be grudge-watching this second season. Should I just bail now or is the first worth seeing through?

If possible, just read the manga.

Moaradin

I don't know shit about Berserk except that people like it (Jason on Giant Bomb been talking it up some lately). I watched the first couple eps of the first season (2016 one, on Cruncy Roll) the other day and it seems cool? The animation is kinda hinky but if my eyes on are subtitles I don't notice it as much (lol). Shit is intense and the story is playing around with things I like.

Well if you actually want to get into Berserk, you should watch the original 90s anime. The 2016 anime starts in the middle of the story and would make no sense without any context.

Since you already fell into the abyss, you might as well travel deeper into it and enjoy it for what it is.

If you're enjoying it, the 90s anime, movies or manga will feel like a dream come true in comparison.

Not all of us here are hate watching, some of us have over looked the janky animations and stuck with because of the love we have for the source. I would suggest you don't bail, it still has a great story to tell despite its animation.

turmoil

Banned

Do yourself a favor and just read the manga.

The art is gorgeous, even a good anime wouldn't do it justice.

People hatewatch this mostly because berserk fans are masochists(myself included).

Einchy

If there's any silver lining, it's that it will hopefully get people to read the manga and put this behind them lol

Honestly, I'd imagine it would lead a lot of people to not even want to the read the manga. I know for sure that if I had no knowledge of Berserk, and I watched this, I'd never even bother thinking about Berserk again.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The story sucks in the new anime too. What are you people on? They have been cutting and changing shit left and right including one of the best arcs in the entire story. Not too mention they seem to be literally sprinting from plot point to plot point that it comes off like Berserk's Greatest Hits but the Kids Bop version. The only reason its at all ok is because the actual Berserk manga is so damned strong and even a watered down piss version is considered watchable.

Brakke

Banned
1997 seems prohibitively expensive unless there are better ways to buy anime than just searching on Amazon. Maybe I'll bite on the manga, I never read one before except Uzumaki (which was dope).

Thanks, pals.

Not all of us here are hate watching, some of us have over looked the janky animations and stuck with because of the love we have for the source. I would suggest you don't bail, it still has a great story to tell despite its animation.

This sounds like a recommendation to read the manga rather than stick out the anime. If you're hear for affection for the source material, probably I should just go straight to the source myself.

Order

Just read the manga. The art is spectacular and you'll get the full story

Einchy

This sounds like a recommendation to read the manga rather than stick out the anime. If you're hear for affection for the source material, probably I should just go straight to the source myself.

Yeah, I mean, you watch anime adaptations of manga because of the animation, and if the animation isn't worth it and all you want is the story, then read the manga which has an even better story.

1997 seems prohibitively expensive unless there are better ways to buy anime than just searching on Amazon. Maybe I'll bite on the manga, I never read one before except Uzumaki (which was dope).

Thanks, pals.

That goes without saying, but can start the manga once you're caught up with the anime.

Brakke

Banned
Aight I'mma jump on this. Just to make sure, "the manga" means this, right? There's no secret 1997 version I should be starting with or whatever?

There are 37 of these volumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom