• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You know...I should really read that already... Why is that thing moe as fuck?

The main character is basically wrestler Goku and she joins him for their adventures and pisses on him when they're stuck in the dessert as a way to give him liquids.

The main character is basically wrestler Goku and she joins him for their adventures and pisses on him when they're stuck in the dessert as a way to give him liquids.
KAJD_f-maxage-0.gif

tenor.gif

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

So like is there anyway for Togashi, Miura and Araki to collaborate on one manga or would that just doom humanity?

HStallion

Why is there too much manga for me to read? I guess when I'm done with Jojo...

Its only a volume but I could see him returning it if he ever finishes Berserk considering it seemed like the world was pretty larger compared to the story presented. Also some really crazy creature designs

They shoot fire out of the uhh hole things on their faces.

Tizoc

I own the gogantomaxia manga and it is indeed great
The moe pandering is too much tho, but it has a lot of great things going for it that u can overlook it

Exodust

Banned
This comic did some pretty significant damage to my conception of Miura.

Definitely the most disturbing thing Miura has ever done.

Can I get a quick rundown on where that's from and why you think that? Well, other than what was already posted about in this page, at least.

Spoiler tag it if need be.

I believe he's spoken about it or there was an article upon how he began to retreat from public life after his college days.
I have heard that this was the case and I think that people view certain parts of early Guts as being how Miura views himself...or something to that effect.

Grudy

In those little blurbs mangaka will put out with each new episode of their manga he used to mention how he was lonely and wishes he could meet someone.
Aw man that sucks :( I wanna give meet him and give him a *bro* hug.

Like even Anno got married. Miura must be...unique...yeah...unique is the word I'm going to use.
I don't know the author but isn't "Anno..." in Japanese like the English "Umm.."? Sorry I have a lame image in my mind of parents trying to name their son and they're like umm x_x

I have heard that this was the case and I think that people view certain parts of early Guts as being how Miura views himself...or something to that effect.

That's what Miura said in an interview actually. He said he modeled Guts and Griffith based on the dynamic between him and one of his close friends from school (or was it college?). He explained it in a way that sometimes he is the Guts in their relationship and other times the Griffith. I dunno how to explain it but it made sense when I read it lol

Aw man that sucks :( I wanna give meet him and give him a *bro* hug.

I don't know the author but isn't "Anno..." in Japanese like the English "Umm.."? Sorry I have a lame image in my mind of parents trying to name their son and they're like umm x_x

That's what Miura said in an interview actually. He said he modeled Guts and Griffith based on the dynamic between him and one of his close friends from school (or was it college?). He explained it in a way that sometimes he is the Guts in their relationship and other times the Griffith. I dunno how to explain it but it made sense when I read it lol
I meant Hideaki Anno of Eva fame...I guess yeah there's probably a couple of different Anno's in the anime/manga community. Regarding Miura being Guts at least it's nice to know that's a definite thing and not something that came to me in a fever dream or a digibro video.

So I'm just popping in here to say that volume 39 only has 8 chapters in it....

We've had 9 chapters a volume for ages, but not this time. Pretty surprising.

Honestly, if someone still has issues with the repulsive acts of sexuality and naked bodies within the context of the universe Miura writes this story, it's time to stop reading Berserk.

Also, I forgot to give my opinion, but the last episode was great. As always, re-reading the corridor of dreams episodes gives a much better picture of the pace. From the mysterious desolated setting, to the allure of her past and the frantic nature of the infernal creatures that populate the dreamland her mind creates (in this ep, her aversion to genitalia manifest itself into these very phallic creatures) has been an interesting establishment of the chaotic state of her mind laying a possible troublesome reaction to her healing.

Grudy

Honestly, if someone still has issues with the repulsive acts of sexuality and naked bodies within the context of the universe Miura writes this story, it's time to stop reading Berserk.

Also, I forgot to give my opinion, but the last episode was great. As always, re-reading the corridor of dreams episodes gives a much better picture of the pace. From the mysterious desolated setting, to the allure of her past and the frantic nature of the infernal creatures that populate the dreamland her mind creates (in this ep, her aversion to genitalia manifest itself into these very phallic creatures) has been an interesting establishment of the chaotic state of her mind laying a possible troublesome reaction to her healing.

It kinda feels like Miura is seeing what he can get away with.

"You thought rape horse was my best work!? I'm just getting started."

I couldn't take it seriously at all lol

Veelk

Banned

To the bolded: No. Fuck this mentality. If someone has issues with any work of art, then it's time for them to react however they damn well please. If that means dropping the manga, fine. If that means complaining about it, that's also fine. That's the first thing and most important thing to note because this kind of talk is just saying that because something is part of a series identity, it should be immune to criticism. Nu-uh.

Second, you don't need to be personally repulsed by the penis demons to think they are a bad choice. First, they look more comical than horrific. Third, even if Miura wanted to stick with the penis demons, shows so many of them is just redundant. We don't need an entire chapter to get the message that Caska's fear the penis, just a few pages would have done just fine. Fourth, I just don't think that rape victims develop instinctive fear of phallic objects. Physical or sexual intimacy, sure, maybe the act of intercourse itself, maybe, but penis' (peni?) themselves? I might be wrong on this, and if I am, I'd like to see links that support it, but the chapter itself hasn't convinced me that it's a thing that happens.

D I C K S.

The art in the new chapter was really amazing. also did I mention dicks? shits getting interesting yooo but that break till winter wtf is dat shit cmon

To the bolded: No. Fuck this mentality. If someone has issues with any work of art, then it's time for them to react however they damn well please. If that means dropping the manga, fine. If that means complaining about it, that's also fine. That's the first thing and most important thing to note because this kind of talk is just saying that because something is part of a series identity, it should be immune to criticism. Nu-uh.

Second, you don't need to be personally repulsed by the penis demons to think they are a bad choice. First, they look more comical than horrific. Third, even if Miura wanted to stick with the penis demons, shows so many of them is just redundant. We don't need an entire chapter to get the message that Caska's fear the penis, just a few pages would have done just fine. Fourth, I just don't think that rape victims develop instinctive fear of phallic objects. Physical or sexual intimacy, sure, maybe the act of intercourse itself, maybe, but penis' (peni?) themselves? I might be wrong on this, and if I am, I'd like to see links that support it, but the chapter itself hasn't convinced me that it's a thing that happens.

You can criticize and react however you want. There is nothing, recently, different from the aggressiveness of acts and/or the sexual imagery presented in past situations, and if those still bother you then this story certainly isn't adequate to you and your expectations.

As for your reading of the episode I fundamentally disagree with everything. The abject nature of the monsters as a result of Casca's state of mind is certainly extremely horrific to me, we do need a longer episode to portray not only the peril Schierke and Farnese are going through (and will probably face up next), but it also allows to slow down their journey and contextualize the timelapse of this events, while showing the barriers Casca creates to avoid their intrusion. I also found extremely enjoyable the capacity of Farnese to adapt to the situation. As for your observation of the necessity of links(?), perhaps a clinical trial of women who have been through Miura's fictionalized world, to support the manifestation of monsters representing an aversion of genital in a dreamland as adhering to some kind of reality is certainly bizarre.

Veelk

Banned
You can criticize and react however you want. There is nothing, recently, different from the aggressiveness of acts and/or the sexual imagery presented in past situations, and if those still bother you then this story certainly isn't adequate to you and your expectations.

You're contradicting yourself entirely here. If you can 'criticize and react however you want" then you can't just immediately turn around on that and say it's on the viewer for having 'inadequate' expectations for criticizing and reacting the chapter negatively.

As for your reading of the episode I fundamentally disagree with everything. The abject nature of the monsters as a result of Casca's state of mind is certainly extremely horrific to me, we do need a longer episode to portray not only the peril Schierke and Farnese are going through (and will probably face up next), but it also allows to slow down their journey and contextualize the timelapse of this events, while showing the barriers Casca creates to avoid their intrusion. I also found extremely enjoyable the capacity of Farnese to adapt to the situation. As for your observation of the necessity of links(?), perhaps a clinical trial of women who have been through Miura's fictionalized world, to support the manifestation of monsters representing an aversion of genital in a dreamland as adhering to some kind of reality is certainly bizarre.

If the dick monsters are horrific to you, cool, but it's clear your in the minority given the "DICKS EVERWHERE LUL" reactions everyone else is having.

And your response to actual rape victim psychology is facetious to the point of tastelessness. Rape actually happens and victims of it often share their experiences. Being mindful about the reality of what happens when depicting the consequences of such an event is kinda important, both for the story's versimilitudeness and just basic decency.

HStallion

If the dick monsters are horrific to you, cool, but it's clear your in the minority given the "DICKS EVERWHERE LUL" reactions everyone else is having.

To be fair I think this says less about Berserk and more on the general reactions this kind of imagery gets in general. There was a lot of stuff I felt was worth talking about or reacting to in this last episode aside from the dick monsters but most people were just posting the "that's a penis" gif over and over again.

Top Bottom