• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Mumei

Thanks. I finished the first chapter and liked it. I'm trying to get accustomed to the layout. I take it that you read right to left, top to bottom? I'm probably going to go back and reread it with more of a focus on the pictures... they're s so detailed!

How much of the series is translated and easily obtainable from amazon?

Honestly, what convinced me was it being a supposed source of inspiration for Dark Souls.

You should go with Instocktrades where volumes are available. I just looked and it looks like a lot are out of stock at the moment (though if you e-mail them and ask they might actually be in stock but haven't been updated on the website). The shipping will take longer than Amazon, but the prices are usually significantly cheaper (~42% off).

And yes, right to left, top to bottom. You aren't even at the part where the art is particularly good, either!

Tizoc

Thanks. I finished the first chapter and liked it. I'm trying to get accustomed to the layout. I take it that you read right to left, top to bottom? I'm probably going to go back and reread it with more of a focus on the pictures... they're s so detailed!

How much of the series is translated and easily obtainable from amazon?

Honestly, what convinced me was it being a supposed source of inspiration for Dark Souls.
The manga keeps getting better from vol 3 onwards
Also welcome to the club! If u ever want to expand to more manga feel free to ask but as is fpcus on Berserk and youll have read one of the best fantAsy comics/manga of all time

mstevens

Well.. I finished Vol 1 and really enjoyed it. The second half of chapter 2 was especially great, with what happened with the daughter and the priest.

Apparently amazon is out of stock for Vol 2 and it's not on instocktrades. I'd like to own this legally, so it may be awhile before I can continue.

So, I just checked my mailbox and both of my Guide Books arrived!

If you can still actually find one, I'd highly recommend it! The first thing I noticed was that it's the same size as a volume. I thought for sure it was going to be A4 in size. It's got some gorgeous art in colour, lots of character profiles, general information, an interview with Miura, photos of his office, some character sketches and the preview for an upcoming chapter. But yeah, even though I can't understand like 95% of it apart from the character names, height, weight and age, the plentiful pictures make up for it. I can see a lot of really great info coming from this when someone translates it, especially the lengthy interview with Miura!
This is why I can't recommend it to anyone who isn't super die-hard about the series, unless they can read Japanese. The color illustrations are exactly the same as the ones that were included in the dark horse volumes (and there's so few in the guidebook) and the rest is just snippets from the manga and a ton of text. If I hadn't ordered Ash Crow with it, I'd feel buyer's remorse for sure.

Capra

Well.. I finished Vol 1 and really enjoyed it. The second half of chapter 2 was especially great, with what happened with the daughter and the priest.

Apparently amazon is out of stock for Vol 2 and it's not on instocktrades. I'd like to own this legally, so it may be awhile before I can continue.

You're in luck! Dark Horse is reprinting Vol 2 along with others for release later this month.

Yeah they're going to reprint 3 copies of Volume 2. Get them while they're hot!

The feeling when you know this is true and the rights holder for this IP is not interested in getting this into people's hand.

1268892419588.png

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The feeling when you know this is true and the rights holder for this IP is not interested in getting this into people's hand.

1268892419588.png

Shit they won't even release it digitally in this day and age is baffling. I get not wanting adult style material like Berserk, I know B&N won't even carry it in stores but come on, when you have Game of Thrones selling like hot cakes I cannot believe they haven't capitalized on the interest in darker fantasy narratives as of the last few years.

Dahbomb

Barnes and Nobles used to have the Berserk manga at least where I was at.

They were in plastic seals though unlike other mangas next to it. It was obvious they didn't want the kids accidentally reading Berserk.

Barnes and Nobles used to have the Berserk manga at least where I was at.

They were in plastic seals though unlike other mangas next to it. It was obvious they didn't want the kids accidentally reading Berserk.
I just checked their site and my local store has, at least, the first volume. The books being sealed has nothing to do with B&N, that's how they're received from the publisher. I believe all 18+ manga usually is shrinkwrapped. I know Viz's Battle Royale volumes were.

New002

Shit they won't even release it digitally in this day and age is baffling. I get not wanting adult style material like Berserk, I know B&N won't even carry it in stores but come on, when you have Game of Thrones selling like hot cakes I cannot believe they haven't capitalized on the interest in darker fantasy narratives as of the last few years.

I really, really want a high quality digital release.

This is why I can't recommend it to anyone who isn't super die-hard about the series, unless they can read Japanese. The color illustrations are exactly the same as the ones that were included in the dark horse volumes (and there's so few in the guidebook) and the rest is just snippets from the manga and a ton of text. If I hadn't ordered Ash Crow with it, I'd feel buyer's remorse for sure.

The coloured art in the Guide Book are actually all different from the ones that were included in the manga. Some of them look pretty similar, but they're definitely different. I really like the last one of Schierke leaning against the tree reading her book. And it sucks that you were dissapointed with the Guide Book. I love mine!

Huh, I've definitely seen them before, but I didn't see them in my books. They share a similar color pallet with those in the manga, so maybe that's why I thought they were reused.

HStallion

I legit got the epic chills when I saw the last picture of the most recent chapter.

wee-bey-gif.gif

Yeah the episode we get when Miura returns from break next year is going to be something insane I gather. I'm thinking it will be a few episodes worth to actually to "cure" Casca. I expect twists and turns as well, not something so straightforward.

The coloured art in the Guide Book are actually all different from the ones that were included in the manga. Some of them look pretty similar, but they're definitely different. I really like the last one of Schierke leaning against the tree reading her book. And it sucks that you were dissapointed with the Guide Book. I love mine!

Am I correct that Guts and Casca are 24, according to the guide? Because I thought they were, at most 22. Isidro and Rickert are way older than I thought too, while Pippin and Corkus are younger.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Am I correct that Guts and Casca are 24, according to the guide? Because I thought they were, at most 22. Isidro and Rickert are way older than I thought too, while Pippin and Corkus are younger.

Really? I thought they were ~22 years old as well, at least for Guts.

Looking at the wikia right now; when Guts decided to travel to Elfheim (he was 22 years old at that time) two years have passed since then so it would make sense that they are 24 years old now. I guess I have missed the two years somehow.

http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Berserk_Timeline

Really? I thought they were ~22 years old as well, at least for Guts.

Looking at the wikia right now; when Guts decided to travel to Elfheim (he was 22 years old at that time) two years have passed since then so it would make sense that they are 24 years old now. I guess I have missed the two years somehow.

http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Berserk_Timeline
Two years on the boat, or spent on the island? Because if it's the latter, I've only read the dark horse volumes, so I'm not at Elf hell yet.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Two years on the boat, or spent on the island? Because if it's the latter, I've only read the dark horse volumes, so I'm not at Elf hell yet.

No, at least one year between Guts leaving Godo's home/grave and reaching the boat, from there on it's roughly a year boat trip and then they enter Elfheim.

Zolo

Some people pointed out that some stuff didn't make sense like I think Guts being labeled as taller than Pippin.

Yeah, according to the Guide Book both Guts and Casca are 24. Not only that, but apparently Griffith is 24 too. Which seems a little odd since he looked older than Casca when he first rescued her. I wonder if the Guide Book is even official? Maybe Miura didn't even have a say in it and some random guy from Young Animal made it all up LOL.
Surely Miura approved it all.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Yeah, according to the Guide Book both Guts and Casca are 24. Not only that, but apparently Griffith is 24 too. Which seems a little odd since he looked older than Casca when he first rescued her. I wonder if the Guide Book is even official? Maybe Miura didn't even have a say in it and some random guy from Young Animal made it all up LOL.
Surely Miura approved it all.
I thought Griffith was two years older than Guts and Casca.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Wasn't Guts like 12 when he met Griffith? There were grown ass men in the Band of the Hawk looking to a 12 year old for guidance?
The timeline as I understood it, Griffith was 14 when he started the band of the hawk and Guts joined 3 years later.

But the Guide is different apparently, lol.

The timeline as I understood it, Griffith was 14 when he started the band of the hawk and Guts joined 3 years later.

This actually makes sense, but them dudes were really devoted to a teenager then. Wasn't Corkus like late 20's or something? He seemed like he actually lived a bit of a life well before he got into the band. Griffith must have bailed him out of some rock bottom shit.

Wasn't Guts like 12 when he met Griffith? There were grown ass men in the Band of the Hawk looking to a 12 year old for guidance?

Just for the record, Guts was 15 when he first joined The Band of the Hawk. Personally, I think he did look about 15 when he first bumped into Griffith, but the English dub for both the anime and the movies throws you off. His voice was far too deep for just a 15 year old. Never in my life have I heard a 15 year old sound quite like that. o_O

Just for the record, Guts was 15 when he first joined The Band of the Hawk. Personally, I think he did look about 15 when he first bumped into Griffith, but the English dub for both the anime and the movies throws you off. His voice was far too deep for just a 15 year old. Never in my life have I heard a 15 year old sound quite like that. o_O
Ok thank you for this. It's always been a bit hard for me to place the age of the cast. I always felt that Griffith was the oldest though. He just seemed the most mature, until well you peek behind the curtain and find out how rash the guy can be. So Guts is like currently 21 and he's got a bunch of gray hairs?

Tizoc

As hype as i am for berserk musou
It saddens me that in 2017 there will still be another sub par omega force game on steam

Veelk

Banned
I ended up deciding I'm not gonna play the Musou game. The marketing for it has completely turned me off it, and I wasn't interested in the Musou gameplay anyway. I'll just stick to Dark Souls for my Berserk gaming needs.

I ended up deciding I'm not gonna play the Musou game. The marketing for it has completely turned me off it, and I wasn't interested in the Musou gameplay anyway. I'll just stick to Dark Souls for my Berserk gaming needs.
"You like rape right? So we're going to throw this catatonic rape victims tits in your face." It really is low brow as fuck.

Seesaw15

Ok thank you for this. It's always been a bit hard for me to place the age of the cast. I always felt that Griffith was the oldest though. He just seemed the most mature, until well you peek behind the curtain and find out how rash the guy can be. So Guts is like currently 21 and he's got a bunch of gray hairs?

I mean he's been running around with the Brand on him for 2 years and wearing the Berserker Armor for a while now. Stress/ life force draining armor ages people.

Tarkus

Two issues of Guts bumpin uglies with Casca?!? I love it!

I can't believe it showed a gush of blood coming from Casca.

I mean he's been running around with the Brand on him for 2 years and wearing the Berserker Armor for a while now. Stress/ life force draining armor ages people.
I'm not saying it makes no sense. More of just saying that Guts has had one fucked up journey in a short amount of time.

Tacitus_

IIRC he got the white patch after donning the Berserker armor. One of the guys in the party says he's now the "mostly black swordsman".

Grudy

What do you guys think is the worst thing Guts has ever done? I was watching a video about Guts and it mentioned how he does some "deplorable" things in his rage so I thought I might ask.

I'd definitely put him using that little girl as a shield/bait to stop the Count's attack somewhere at the top.

Syder

What do you guys think is the worst thing Guts has ever done?
It may not be the worst thing but the assassination of Julius and subsequent 'accidental' murder of Adonis is a moment that struck me as the first time Guts' recklessness let to him doing something truly evil.

HStallion

To Guts himself the worst thing he's done is probably something relating to Casca like when he tried to rape her when the Beast took over or perhaps failing to stop Griffith from sacrificing his comrades.

In general though. Man its a long list though I guess he did kill a lot of children in the Lost Children Arc even if they were evil fairy creatures at that point.

Top Bottom