• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best budget 4K TV for PS4 Pro w/HDR?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I used to sell TVs for years. The Samsung 6000 series are NOT 4k nor do they have HDR, and yes I know what the box says. It's wrong and misleading which leads to lots of returns and unhappy customers. The 7000 series imitates 4k, again, not true 4k. The 8000 series is where it's at. Actual true 4k with great HDR. I know it's a little pricier but look for an open box or something, you wont regret it. Any associate that tells you otherwise is lying to make a sale. Dont br fooled. Go in and see the difference for yourself. And yes I'm talking about Best Buy. Also LG has some really great quality 4k units for reasonable prices. Check the reviews before you buy. I hope this helped and good luck on your future high def gaming setup!
Gonna disagree strongly with everything you said. LG LEDs arent bad but theyre never the best. The Samsung 8000 isnt bad but the Sony is a better TV for the price. LG OLEDs are amazing though.

Last edited:

nowhat

I used to sell TVs for years. The Samsung 6000 series are NOT 4k nor do they have HDR, and yes I know what the box says. It's wrong and misleading which leads to lots of returns and unhappy customers. The 7000 series imitates 4k, again, not true 4k. The 8000 series is where it's at. Actual true 4k with great HDR.
You used to sell TVs, but haven't kept up with the latest models?

KS8000 (KS7000 in Europe, because reasons) is a great TV for 4K gaming, and before the Sony 900-something models it was the go-to model for a mid-price gaming TV. It has been discontinued though (replaced by the Q7 series), so finding one may be hard. The MU-x000 models that replaced the KS series are not as good, granted (they're not "QLED", which basically is just Samsung marketspeak for "better LCD" - it's still unquestionably better though), but talking about "6000 series" or "7000 series" is meaningless unless you include the full model name.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You used to sell TVs, but haven't kept up with the latest models?

KS8000 (KS7000 in Europe, because reasons) is a great TV for 4K gaming, and before the Sony 900-something models it was the go-to model for a mid-price gaming TV. It has been discontinued though (replaced by the Q7 series), so finding one may be hard. The MU-x000 models that replaced the KS series are not as good, granted (they're not "QLED", which basically is just Samsung marketspeak for "better LCD" - it's still unquestionably better though), but talking about "6000 series" or "7000 series" is meaningless unless you include the full model name.
The KS8000 is a great TV and one I would easily recommend, but it’s a 2016 model and is no longer available to purchase anywhere.

longdi

Banned
Gonna disagree strongly with everything you said. LG LEDs arent bad but theyre never the best. The Samsung 8000 isnt bad but the Sony is a better TV for the price. LG OLEDs are amazing though.
I disagree, LG LED are best avoided, they are ips which means low contrast ratio and ips glow, black levels are a third or worse than Sony's.

The other shitty part, LG uses pentile RGBW subpixel, you get stronger whites at the expense of resolution loss! Avoid LG LED at all costs!

Boss Man

I bought a KS8000 a year or two ago and I'm really happy with it, but man did it take a while to decide what to get.

TVs are very difficult to buy if you're the type of person that cares a lot about getting the best value. I initially intended to spend a lot less, but the KS8000 seemed like too much of an outlier in bang-for-buck not to bite. If I set out today to buy a 4K/HDR TV, I'd take a hard look at the TCL to make sure it's legit and probably get that because the price is so good.

rtings.com was a great resource for me when I was researching.

Last edited:

autoduelist

We just got a TCL 55r617 4K Ultra HD. It's a 2018 model, and getting fantastic reviews, including for gaming needs.

It's $650 shipped from Amazon, $600 at Best Buy. The only difference is the Amazon model has a voice-activated remote control for Roku. we decided the 50 bucks was worth it.

I read several reviews on this one and everyone is raving about it, comparing it to thousand dollar models. I also scored a great Samsung Sound Bar on deep clearance, plus I wall mount all well under $1,000.

I haven't hooked this TV up yet as we literally just got it but I recommend looking into it.

There's also a 65 in but that brings up the price obviously

Last edited:
Yeah can get 900e for £1000 but a higher lag than the Samsung and have to put up with poor android os.

Will have to have a think about it. £300 more and still just a budget set

That's a great price!

So are you saying HDR isn't quite good enough yet because you're using the MU7000?

Yeh. The samsung is edge lit, the sony is fald which you kinda need for decent hdr, or an oled. but developers need to work on their hdr implementations in general, its hit or miss. ive seen hdr games on the x900e. Basically i wont bother with hdr til next gen.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeh. The samsung is edge lit, the sony is fald which you kinda need for decent hdr, or an oled. but developers need to work on their hdr implementations in general, its hit or miss. ive seen hdr games on the x900e. Basically i wont bother with hdr til next gen.
The Sony 930e is proof that edge lit can still produce exceptional local dimming. It’s one of the best.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't read that the OP was in the EU. My mistake and apologies for a tv recomendation that probably isn't available over there.

I bought this model when it was $499 and it was IMO a great value even at that time. Now it's on sale for only $299.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisens...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/5866700.p?skuId=5866700

I use my PS4 Pro with it and I've never looked back. The television has been awesome. The HDR really makes the picture "pop" and
has great up scaling ability. Gaming on it is dream like. Colors are deep, bright, clear, razor sharp.

Out of 419 reviews, it has a 4.6 star rating out of 5.

If you are on a tight budget and want great "bang for your buck", I'd highly recommend this set!

Last edited:

We just got a TCL 55r617 4K Ultra HD. It's a 2018 model, and getting fantastic reviews, including for gaming needs.

It's $650 shipped from Amazon, $600 at Best Buy. The only difference is the Amazon model has a voice-activated remote control for Roku. we decided the 50 bucks was worth it.

I read several reviews on this one and everyone is raving about it, comparing it to thousand dollar models. I also scored a great Samsung Sound Bar on deep clearance, plus I wall mount all well under $1,000.

I haven't hooked this TV up yet as we literally just got it but I recommend looking into it.

There's also a 65 in but that brings up the price obviously

I recently bought a Sony XBR 900E 65 inch and that is our main TV. Then we wanted a bedroom TV. Went with the TCL 6 Series in 65 ice and it is an amazing TV. Has some features even my Sony doesn’t have. Got it a few weeks ago for about $950. Never owned a TCL before but highly impressed with it.

The Sony 930e is proof that edge lit can still produce exceptional local dimming. It’s one of the best.

Yeah out performs the xe90 and xf90 @ £1200 for a 55" but then the nu8000 @ £1300 is appealing then due to its interpolation in gaming making games appear 60fps when only 30fps.

Edit:- I'd love to see the difference in HDR on the cheaper edge lit Samsung's compared to the Sony. Is it worth an extra almost 50% in money?

(Samsung 55MU7000 @ £700 compared to Sony 55XE9005 @ £1000. Can get 65MU7000 for £1000 too).

Or is the HDR that bad on the 55MU7000 compared to the 55XE930 where the difference in price ratio is almost double in price? (£700 compared to £1200).

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah out performs the xe90 and xf90 @ £1200 for a 55" but then the nu8000 @ £1300 is appealing then due to its interpolation in gaming making games appear 60fps when only 30fps.

Edit:- I'd love to see the difference in HDR on the cheaper edge lit Samsung's compared to the Sony. Is it worth an extra almost 50% in money?

(Samsung 55MU7000 @ £700 compared to Sony 55XE9005 @ £1000. Can get 65MU7000 for £1000 too).

Or is the HDR that bad on the 55MU7000 compared to the 55XE930 where the difference in price ratio is almost double in price? (£700 compared to £1200).
The 930e is a great TV, but probably not worth the price difference over the 900E (assuming you can still get it since most retailers have cleared them out). 900E is a better value unless you want Dolby Vision.

I have to admit that your comment about motion interpolation is surprising. Considering that it creates a horrible halo effect on fast moving content AND it also adds a considerable amount of input lag. Gaming and motion interpolaion should never be in the same sentence.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

The sonys also have great interpolation but it isn't a great feature if you want a clean image on any TV really.

The 930e is a great TV, but probably not worth the price difference over the 900E (assuming you can still get it since most retailers have cleared them out). 900E is a better value unless you want Dolby Vision.

I have to admit that your comment about motion interpolation is surprising. Considering that it creates a horrible halo effect on fast moving content AND it also adds a considerable amount of input lag. Gaming and motion interpolaion should never be in the same sentence.

I've not seen it but apparently it performs better on some games than others but it also has adjustable sliders to improve the artifacts.

It performs this in Game Motion Plus and the lag is no issues at 23.8ms.

The NU8000 also supports VRR.

Again, the 55" is £1299.

The sonys also have great interpolation but it isn't a great feature if you want a clean image on any TV really.

See above. The Sony one isn't really for games and brings way too much input lag anyway.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've not seen it but apparently it performs better on some games than others but it also has adjustable sliders to improve the artifacts.

It performs this in Game Motion Plus and the lag is no issues at 23.8ms.

The NU8000 also supports VRR.

Again, the 55" is £1299.

See above. The Sony one isn't really for games and brings way too much input lag anyway.
It does not matter about other games vs others. Motion interpolation is a form of image processing which is going to increase input lag. There is a reason most TVs disable this feature when set to Game mode.

As for your comment about input lag, the Sony 900E averages around 30ms, which is pretty good. I guarantee you won’t be able to tell a difference between that and the Samsung

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Most low end Sony products aren't worth buying. Compare it to the X900E model and you'll see what I mean.

Skyn3t

Banned
If your really in a budget area, I'd go with a TCL. It's not considered a premium brand in any way, but the higher models are very decent 4K/HDR panels.

As for Samsung MU7000 (8000 in US), I'm a owner from November last year and the TV is a middle-end set with pleasent picture, noticable HDR and great OS. Nothing that will blow your mind (gotta aim for QLED series to experience true eyegasm ;), but it's decent. Just don't buy the 49 inch version as it has 60 Hz panel and isn't as bright, has 8 bit screen.

You're best option is to visit rtings.com, check their reviews and recommendations and pick sth in your price range.

It does not matter about other games vs others. Motion interpolation is a form of image processing which is going to increase input lag. There is a reason most TVs disable this feature when set to Game mode.

As for your comment about input lag, the Sony 900E averages around 30ms, which is pretty good. I guarantee you won’t be able to tell a difference between that and the Samsung

Yeah I said the Nu8000 has input lag if 23ms with motion interpolation.

If your really in a budget area, I'd go with a TCL. It's not considered a premium brand in any way, but the higher models are very decent 4K/HDR panels.

As for Samsung MU7000 (8000 in US), I'm a owner from November last year and the TV is a middle-end set with pleasent picture, noticable HDR and great OS. Nothing that will blow your mind (gotta aim for QLED series to experience true eyegasm ;), but it's decent. Just don't buy the 49 inch version as it has 60 Hz panel and isn't as bright, has 8 bit screen.

You're best option is to visit rtings.com, check their reviews and recommendations and pick sth in your price range.

Great so you have the mu7000 (mu8000 USA)?

Sounds like its ok for the money. That would be £700 in the UK but was originally £1150 I think.

How do you find the HDR? What games have you played where you've been impressed?

Edit: they don't do tcl in UK

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
So, I use the TV with Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, the 55 inch version. Can't really judge the HDR, because I didn't experience it in the hi-end form apart of looking on top tier TVs in the store (too much light to appreciate HDR). Quoting some reviews I'll tell you that the colours are nice (saturated, but not too punchy), the colour gamut is not the widest, but HDR makes a difference (mainly AC Origins, Forza Horizon 3, Far Cry 5, Hellblade on Xbox One X and GT Sport and God of War on PS4 Pro). Despite the maximum brightness much below 1000 Premium HDR standard (sth like 600), you can even observe bright highlights in most of the scenes. Again, not as stunning like on more expensive/better sets but I was quite amazed, jumping from a 1080 TV.

Cinco de Mayo

Neo Member
In cased on LED tv - can't recommend anything less than Sony x900f (or xf90 in US) - ignore Android TV interface and "smart" features - image quality is just outstanding. Anything below is a compromise.

So, I use the TV with Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, the 55 inch version. Can't really judge the HDR, because I didn't experience it in the hi-end form apart of looking on top tier TVs in the store (too much light to appreciate HDR). Quoting some reviews I'll tell you that the colours are nice (saturated, but not too punchy), the colour gamut is not the widest, but HDR makes a difference (mainly AC Origins, Forza Horizon 3, Far Cry 5, Hellblade on Xbox One X and GT Sport and God of War on PS4 Pro). Despite the maximum brightness much below 1000 Premium HDR standard (sth like 600), you can even observe bright highlights in most of the scenes. Again, not as stunning like on more expensive/better sets but I was quite amazed, jumping from a 1080 TV.

Sorry for double post I think.

Brilliant and thanks for your reply. I particularly like your comment you were amazed coming from a 1080p TV. I currently use 1080p PJ @ 65" about 7-8 feet away. I'd been happy so far until I played GOW and was forced to switch to the performance mode as the motion blur was terrible on the PJ yet my son was playing it on a Sony TV (not pro and 42" 1080p) but at 30fps, his looked far better motion.

I hoping that its 120hz panel it will be better at the motion than my benq 1070 PJ.

Can i aak you what's it like in dark scenes? Is it washed out?

Skyn3t

Banned
I wouldn't call it washed, but you have to remember it's a edge lit LED TV, don't expect OLED tar-like black. Local dimming feature makes a really good job for keeping blacks at a good level. There is some clouding though, mainly in HDR mode when brightness is cranked up to the maximum. It's mainly visible at night, when the room is dark, but it's still quite cosmetic in comparison to some other TVs. Overall a very decent, middle-end TV. But at this point I would go with Sony XE900 if you don't own a Nintendo Switch and don't mind the hassle with bullcrap that is Android TV.

The XE900 is £1000, some £300 more expensive for the 55".

I must admit I already own a 42" Sony and the Android on that is an absolute joke but then again, the TV would be practically just for gaming. However, in the future when better 4K TVs are coming out (a few years away), I was considering using whatever 55" I get to replace the living room 42" in a few years and the fact it would be another Sony Android os, is a touch off putting but not necessarily a deal breaker.

What's the problem using a Switch with the Sony and why would you now go for the Sony instead? Have you seen a direct comparison?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No I'm referring to the nu8000 @ £1299 in an earlier post.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000
Wow. That input lag is impressive. If input lagis absolutely the most important thing to you it’s really hard to argue with those results.
The local dimming on that TV is prettt bad, but I would argue that local dimming is less important for strictly gaming TVs as the contrast is still pretty good.

Get the NU7000 if input lag is just that important to you, but if you want a TV that excels in all the other areas the 900E is a fabulous choice.

The only downside of the Sony’s is the built in Android interface. It’s garbage but it can be tweaked to something functional.

Last edited:

Cinco de Mayo

Neo Member
I would not get XE900 - it is last year's model, with an inferior image processing unit.

XF900 - has X1 xtreme image processor, supports Dolby Vision (at least from Apple TV 4K for Netflix and Itunes and UBP-X700) and has great image quality (for a LED tv). A TV is a long term investment and if you want to go LED way, xf900 is the way to go for min. specs which will not disappoint in the near future.

Good quality Samsung sets are more expensive - at least for 2018

Wow. That input lag is impressive. If input lagis absolutely the most important thing to you it’s really hard to argue with those results.
The local dimming on that TV is prettt bad, but I would argue that local dimming is less important for strictly gaming TVs as the contrast is still pretty good.

Get the NU7000 if input lag is just that important to you, but if you want a TV that excels in all the other areas the 900E is a fabulous choice.

The only downside of the Sony’s is the built in Android interface. It’s garbage but it can be tweaked to something functional.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Found the chart I used to help pick out My TCL

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-price/under-1000

tied for best video game and Best in Class for HDR gaming according to this chart. And $300+ cheaper than the other highly rated TVs.

about to go hook it up. But all in all 650 spent since I know it will meet my needs

Wish these were in the UK! :-(

I would not get XE900 - it is last year's model, with an inferior image processing unit.

XF900 - has X1 xtreme image processor, supports Dolby Vision (at least from Apple TV 4K for Netflix and Itunes and UBP-X700) and has great image quality (for a LED tv). A TV is a long term investment and if you want to go LED way, xf900 is the way to go for min. specs which will not disappoint in the near future.

Fair points but this is about budget 4k and the xf900 is @ £1500 in UK. At this point were getting to mid-range sets.

Its madness, you could almost keep going and saying its only a bit more money but before I know it, I'll have bought a Q9FN at £3800 lol!

Personally because the 4k tech is still not at full maturity, my purchase is based more on lower budget with the intension to replace when better sets at cheaper prices are available but with the hope I can still get some use out if the budget set even when its replaced.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

normally id agree with getting the 900f over the 900e, but if his primary purpose is gaming the 900e is more than adequate and should be cheaper.

Skyn3t

Banned
XE900 has a relatively high inputlag for 1080p and less sources, so docked Switch wouldn't be as responsive.

XE900 has a relatively high inputlag for 1080p and less sources, so docked Switch wouldn't be as responsive.
Nope. Thats the 900f, not e. 900e has the same lag beit 1080p or 4k. Its because the 900f, 930 and zd9 have a different upscaling chip which adds more lag. If buying a sony, I would get the 900e for gaming, save money and forget it. I like my samsung mu7000 tho since the lag is lower than the 900e and for sdr its at least as good of an image. I've owned both.

Tbh, anything more expensive than the 900e and I would just splurge for the 2018 lg oled.

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
Thought about B7 myself, but in my home we use to leave TV for hours on static images (paused Netflix etc.). Maybe I'm wrongz but whom what I've read it would kill the OLEDs display with burn-ins.

Nope. Thats the 900f, not e. 900e has the same lag beit 1080p or 4k. Its because the 900f, 930 and zd9 have a different upscaling chip which adds more lag. If buying a sony, I would get the 900e for gaming, save money and forget it. I like my samsung mu7000 tho since the lag is lower than the 900e and for sdr its at least as good of an image. I've owned both.

Tbh, anything more expensive than the 900e and I would just splurge for the 2018 lg oled.

Agreed! Once you get to a certain price point, you almost feel compelled to go in big time lol!

Edit:-

What do you think of the HDR on the MU7000? How is it compared to xe900?

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
XE900 has a wider colour gamut and goes as bright as 1000 nits. Apart of Android TV it's a much better TV in terms of HDR.

Last edited:

Cinco de Mayo

Neo Member
Its madness, you could almost keep going and saying its only a bit more money but before I know it, I'll have bought a Q9FN at £3800 lol!

I will tell you my own experience: I bought a cheaper Samsung set with poorer HDR, thinking it will be enough - as I have settled before. However, once you get the 4K HDR route you start seeing the issues: you see the banding, the poor highlights, insufficient contrast. And then it was not enough, I had to return it and get a better set (XF900).

Once I started playing HDR on my PS4 on the lower quality set I saw those issues; when calibrating the games, max brightness would clip over 400 nits.
XE900 is a nice set and for gaming only is great; XF900 is even nicer and comes with Dolby Vision, making it also a great Netflix experience. IMHO, MU 6/7 series are a bit overpriced for what they deliver, and 49" screens have poorer quality panels, thus to be avoided.

So in order to avoid disappointment in the future, after the novelty factor wears off, if you consider using the TV for more than 3 years, then XE900 is good choice; XF900 is even better, because of Dolby Vision. It is a purchase you will use daily - most likely.

normally id agree with getting the 900f over the 900e, but if his primary purpose is gaming the 900e is more than adequate and should be cheaper.

Fair point.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thought about B7 myself, but in my home we use to leave TV for hours on static images (paused Netflix etc.). Maybe I'm wrongz but whom what I've read it would kill the OLEDs display with burn-ins.
OLEDs are prone to image retention yes.
But the TVs have built in features to prevent it, but burn in can happen.

However if you plan to get one I’d get out of the habit of leaving stationary images on the screen and learn to turn off the TV.

I will tell you my own experience: I bought a cheaper Samsung set with poorer HDR, thinking it will be enough - as I have settled before. However, once you get the 4K HDR route you start seeing the issues: you see the banding, the poor highlights, insufficient contrast. And then it was not enough, I had to return it and get a better set (XF900).

Once I started playing HDR on my PS4 on the lower quality set I saw those issues; when calibrating the games, max brightness would clip over 400 nits.
XE900 is a nice set and for gaming only is great; XF900 is even nicer and comes with Dolby Vision, making it also a great Netflix experience. IMHO, MU 6/7 series are a bit overpriced for what they deliver, and 49" screens have poorer quality panels, thus to be avoided.

So in order to avoid disappointment in the future, after the novelty factor wears off, if you consider using the TV for more than 3 years, then XE900 is good choice; XF900 is even better, because of Dolby Vision. It is a purchase you will use daily - most likely.

Fair point.

Thanks.

Was about to go to John Lewis and buy the 55XE900 (55X900E) for £999 but the height of my car isn't big enough (box is 83.1cm but car is 81cm).
:-(

Whilst looking I've also found Samsung 65KS7000 (65KS8000) which is much brighter for £1149.

Skyn3t

Banned
KS7000 is a great TV... when you get a decent unit. Many of them had problems with horrible clouding/banding and the TV was somewhat glued and people reported that in some cases the plastic/aluminum elements came off. Not a solid build machine by any means.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks.

Was about to go to John Lewis and buy the 55XE900 (55X900E) for £999 but the height of my car isn't big enough (box is 83.1cm but car is 81cm).
:-(

Whilst looking I've also found Samsung 65KS7000 (65KS8000) which is much brighter for £1149.
I think my SUV barely fits a 49', idk how car ppl usually carry large stuff. You could try delivery?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not to throw a wrench in the Samsung vs. Sony debate but Best Buy has the Vizio P-series TVs on sale this week, while they’re a step back from the 2017 models they’re still pretty good TVs and at $799 for the 55” that’s a pretty good price.

I haven’t read any reviews but it should be an upgrade over the TCL 6 series.

Last edited:
Agreed! Once you get to a certain price point, you almost feel compelled to go in big time lol!

Edit:-

What do you think of the HDR on the MU7000? How is it compared to xe900?
The hdr on the 7000 is kinda poor. The screen isnt bright enough and the black levels on the 900e are noticeably better in hdr. I only use hdr if a game is made for hdr, then poorly converted to sdr though those examples are few. Wipeout omega on ps4 being one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom