• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Couples in Videogames

Sutanreyu

Prince_x_Elika_by_Malaglar.jpg

The dialogue between these two was absolutely magical. It's the main reason I bought a Collector's Edition of the game after I had beaten it on a rental.

I second this.

Grisby

Not really a 'couple' so to speak but Flik and Viktor from Suikoden1+2 are the ultimate bros.

Don't have a good enough pic to post. Quick, someone visit Deviantart for me.

Dragon Quest V is the best love story the medium of gaming has to offer.

As much as I love DQV, it's
love of family, not romantic love
that I find compelling in the game.
The romance was better than average for a JRPG, but the game only provides any sort of relationship with one of the 2(now 3) choices before getting married. The relationship with your children and the search for your missing wife on the other hand are amazing. That said, the hero and Bianca are a cute couple, especially with their childhood adventures together.

jb1234

eiyu-bianca.jpg

Dragon Quest V is the best love story the medium of gaming has to offer.

I actually found the most fascinating relationship in that game to be the one between the hero and Harry. They start out childhood enemies and spend the next ten years becoming best friends as slaves. After they escape, the game does a wonderfully subtle job of showing how close those two became. I almost wish that Harry spent more time as a party member.

Another great non-couple relationship is the hero and Jowy from Suikoden II. It's especially interesting and moving because the hero doesn't say a word and yet, the bond between those two is one of the strongest I've seen in a JRPG.

Ramune

Rue & Claire (Threads of Fate)
Threads_of_Fate_%2528PSX%2529_12.png

9199_18206.jpg

Also The Princess and "You" are the most lovey dovey game characters I've ever seen! (Popils)
1322434968-00.jpg

Crono & Marle (Chrono Trigger)
CronoMarle-1.png

Actions speak louder than words. And Marle's quest
to revive a killed Crono
was extremely moving IMO.

The Hero & Bianca (Dragon Quest V)
Dragon.Quest.V.full.882268.jpg

Touching coming of age couple. Precursor to the other next couple on my list. (My god I forgot how much DQV hentai there is out there!)

Alex & Luna (Lunar: The Silver Star/Silver Star Story)
e8c_abcffd70f4.jpg

Doesn't get more textbook traditional than this! These two were made for each other.

Link & Zelda (Skyward Sword)
zelda-skyward-sword-link-and-zelda-in-love-640x325.jpg

From what I played so far, this is approaching Lunar levels of Charming Romance. About time, other than probably OoT, they really weren't a thing in any of the games.

Link x Midna (Twilight Princess)
bestnew_midna2-article_image.jpg

These two in this game definitely had chemistry. Zelda was little more than a plot device though.

X x Zero (Mega Man X series)
IrregularHunterXOST.png

Great partners/ambiguously gay duo(?)

A Boy & his Blob ('nuff said)
a-boy-and-his-blob-hug-screenshot.jpg

Ok, another not really couple, but great teaming!

Now Im interested in playing a lot of the games already mentioned. I'm a sap for the sappy I suppose. ;)

Female MC X Aigis in P3P

How could I forget this?

Definitely this as well.
It's possible to romance female party members as the FeMC? I thought you just became besties w/them/got friendzoned?

Rue & Claire (Threads of Fate)
Threads_of_Fate_%2528PSX%2529_12.png

9199_18206.jpg
This one always weirded me about a bit, since their relationship was treated as being that of a brother and a sister throughout the game, then all of a sudden Rue's heart is pounding like he's in love at the end.

*high-five*

Bladenic

Lmao, forgot about Fang and Vanille. I like their relationship but I don't like Fang so meh.

Also yes to Alex and Luna. Played the PSP version last year and found their relationship wonderfully nostalgic and charming.

jaxword

This thread has too much fan fiction in it

No, it's quite accurate. It's extremely well written and subtle, a complete contrast to every other one out there, and it's also homosexual, meaning it's also going to instantly be rejected.

This isn't some Cloud X Barret stuff based on a joke sequence.

All the relationship signs are there if you care to notice.

Ramune

This one always weirded me about a bit, since their relationship was treated as being that of a brother and a sister throughout the game, then all of a sudden Rue's heart is pounding like he's in love at the end.

Crap forgot to write my piece on these two! ;P
Basically it's a familial bond and the stuff Rue had to go through (and put up with) was enough to make me happy for them in the end. It's been a while since I played it too. ;)

Wrong.

Zero had IRISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Then what the heck is he fighting FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR?
I saw Iris more like a one sided love interest/school girl crush. Wasn't till a certain time where he finally gave a crap. By then it was too late. ;(

RavenH2

If anyone remembers Grandia 2 then they remember Ryudo and his ladies

Ryudo_Millenia_Elena.jpg

Yup, great game, great couple.... which one did you routed for? I personally enjoyed the hell out of the Millenia - Ryudo relationship...

Some nights, I still cry over Mareg...

Great Dreamcast memories, I'm very fond of that game...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
No, it's quite accurate. It's extremely well written and subtle, a complete contrast to every other one out there, and it's also homosexual, meaning it's also going to instantly be rejected.

I thought it was a sisterly thing...

Either way, it was written to be purposefully unclear.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I see a ton of Japanese games that I do know with couples that I thought were ham-fisted and bad.

I always felt these threads devolved into, "Post the most obscure reference that sort of relates to the OP that you can think." I believe this thread has delivered on that.

But I DID see FF IX mentioned a few times, so that's good. Zidane and Garnet were amazing.

jaxword

I looked up "contradiction" in my dictionary and I found these two posts. They're pretty fast over at Merriam-Webster!

That was very funny! You could have also used "crap" "excrement" "I hate FF13!!!" and got your point across, too.

I thought it was a sisterly thing...

Either way, it was written to be purposefully unclear.

Sisters don't grope each other's boobs and check out each other's asses unashamedly, man.

This thread has too much fan fiction in it

To be fair, the OP didn't actually say the couples had to be romantically involved, even if most of the couples in this thread are.

Even if you don't believe Fang and Vanille are romantically involved, they are still a great couple in their own right, either as "sisters" or just a plain duo.

MechaX

Sisters don't grope each other's boobs and check out each other's asses unashamedly, man.

Well, Fang checked out her thigh once for something very specific (which both sisters and female friends do at times).

But where in the world does the groping each other's boobs incident come from? I swear I don't remember that happening.

Reading this thread made me realize two things:
1) I've played waaaaaay too many games (I recognize virtually every character in this thread, save for a handful of Tales of Characters and a couple more).
2) The standard for video game romance quality is reaaaaaally low. It's really hard to find well written romance in any medium, especially in the last few decades, but the bar in videogames is so low you have to dig down with a shovel to find it. Most is barely there, and in many cases it is literally not there beyond a mutual puppy crush.

Perhaps one of the best is Ico, be it romantic itself or not, due to the game's inherent mechanics. Xenogears' is quite above average, particularly so for a game 14 years old, and has some implications that are quite tragic (the whole
"continuous reincarnation, with Elly always dying tragically", for literally thousands of years... no wonder it finally broke Fei's soul
). And much as FF6 is still my favorite FF, Celes and Locke's was, again, barely there, so FF9 wins due to some pretty well made scenes.

But if the alternatives are shallow, Hollywood-style "I've just met you but I love you more than anything in my life" shoehorned "romances" that we're supposed to care about, I guess we're quite better off!

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
11877_BrJR.jpg

Two designers with great skills.

Yeah, I know there's plenty Romero hate, but let's just leave it thus:

Quake/Doom era Romero designs + Brenda's "Train" = They need to make something awesome together.

Bururian

As much as I love DQV, it's
love of family, not romantic love
that I find compelling in the game.
The romance was better than average for a JRPG, but the game only provides any sort of relationship with one of the 2(now 3) choices before getting married. The relationship with your children and the search for your missing wife on the other hand are amazing. That said, the hero and Bianca are a cute couple, especially with their childhood adventures together.

On top of that
Watching your father die in front of you, then seeing him and your mother reunited near the end of the game sent me into tears.
Dragon Quest V is easily one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played.

Tex117

Banned
I bought this on Steam, but never played it. I would ask you if it was really worth playing but I already know the answer.

Maybe, eventually.

Its only like 4 hours or so.

Play it when you are in the mood for more of an interactive story and feeling a little sappy.

Its not heavy on any kind of mechanic. Music is solid.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
As far as platonic/friendship goes... nothing in the history of videogames is better than the Hero and Jowy in Suikoden 2. Loved the whole story of 2 people wanting similar things but having a drastically different way of doing things that puts them at odds with each other, and
the "good" ending when you save Nanami and the hero and Jowy puts their past behind each other to walk away into the sunset
is one of the best endings in gaming.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

No not really.

To me they're nothing more than best friends, and even sisters. Definitely not lovers.

And you assuming people rejecting them because they are homosexuals are also... nah. Maybe some people are not just seeing what you are seeing or maybe you are just seeing what is not there?

For whatever its worth I don't believe they are involved in a romantic relationship.

As far as platonic/friendship goes... nothing in the history of videogames is better than the Hero and Jowy in Suikoden 2. Loved the whole story of 2 people wanting similar things but having a drastically different way of doing things that puts them at odds with each other, and
the "good" ending when you save Nanami and the hero and Jowy puts their past behind each other to walk away into the sunset
is one of the best endings in gaming.

Can't believe I forget about this. The good true ending is unbelievably awesome, how their strong bond of....... what is it, friendship? I suppose friendship is not a strong enough word to describe it.... is powerful enough to even affect something as powerful as a True Rune.

Top Bottom