• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best English dubbed anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novocaine

What's Hellsing? Is it on Netlix?

I don't have access to Netflix but if it has a wide variety of anime then it's bound to be there. There are videos of the series scattered all over the internet that are easy to find in any case. Also if you are going to look into it make sure it's just "Hellsing" and not "Hellsing Ultimate". Or at least watch the OG version first.

mrmickfran

Yu Yu Hakusho

The uncut dub has the greatest shit talking in the history of anime

"EARTH TO TODDLER BITCH! YOU BETTER SPEAK RIGHT NOW BEFORE I FOREVER SHOVE THAT PACIFIER TEN INCHES DOWN YOUR THROAT!!!!

Justin Cook is so Godlike.

The original Giant Robo dub was pretty awesome. Same with Akira.

Funny that you mention this. I was about to ask if I should listen to the original dub over the new one. I saw the first two episodes last night with the new dub and thought it was good for the most part. Is the old one significantly better or is it more of a nostalgia thing?

My favorite dubs that I almost always choose over the original voice acting are:

Ghost In The Shell TV
Cowboy Bebop

No surprises there I guess...

Oh and for fun my favorite "bad" dubs are Cyber City Oedo and Mad Bull 34.

daveo42

Banned
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
FMA/Brotherhood
Trigun

I don't watch much dubbed stuff unless I happen to catch it on CN late at night.

yu_yu_hakusho___animated_gif_by_gazgabriel-d30m0up.gif

Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo all have dubs that far exceed the originals, in my opinion. The former two because the voice actors they chose were very strong and in some cases able to deliver the lines with even more gusto than the seiyuu, and the latter because the entire English script had to be re-written in order to make it work, so the comedy is amazingly polished and absurdly hilarious.

1st post wins again

Samurai 7
Golden Boy
Gantz
Samurai Champloo
AKIRA
GitS
TriGun

All have very good dubs imo, probably even better than the Japanese voices

Original DBZ dub was terrible but it improved in the Buu Saga. The DBZ Kai dub actually happens to be amazing, I say this as a Japanese voice fan

Piers

FLCL hits the right notes on so many levels. I genuinely love Haruko's English VA more than the original Japanese. She has that loveable bitchness to her tone.

I feel like just about everything FUNi did(at least as of FMA:B, I havent really watched any of their newer stuff) has always been really solid.

I also think Cowboy Bebop is great.

FnordChan

The canonical best anime dub is Shinesman, which is a hoot and a half. However, the original Akira dub has the "Men, we're going to the Olympics!" line, and that's pretty hard to beat.

Also, one of the best things about the Shin-chan dub (or, worst, depending on how much of a purist you are) is that Evan Dorkin and Sarah Dyer added jokes to the script. If you're a fan, check out some of Dorkin's awesome comics like Milk and Cheese and Dork.

Finally, I dearly love the old Giant Robo dub. I can't say it's good, but I still love it.

FnordChan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom