• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best English dubbed anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrcbandit

Is the manga dub of Giant Robo worth listening to or is it one that you need nostalgia for?

Black Lagoon is one of the best dubs, Revy's voice acting is a perfect fit.

I also really enjoy the Funimation One Piece dub.

Dresden

My favorite has to be Fullmetal Alchemist's dub. It's probably because it's the version I watched first, but it just feels right and seeing Brotherhood pre-dub felt so odd due to this.

Jarate

Banned
DBZ dub was actually really good post ocean. Really awesome voice acting, and most of the campiness was due to how campy the show was

the only average VA for the show was future trunks, and even he had some good moments and got into his own by the time his role ended.

One Piece I think has the best dub out there, the Funi dub for it is just astounding.

Many English dubs nowadays are excellent, especially from Funimation. Fullmetal, Baccano, Soul Eater are commonly recognized, but there is also stuff like Phantom: Requiem and just recently Lupin the 3rd: Fujiko Mine. These all do have generally Western settings and/or characters, but that just helps the fit, not make it.

To wit, another favorite dub is for the lesser known Corpse Princess (Shikabane Hime). Even some fanservice shows like High School DxD have high quality--and hilarious--English dubs.

Viz offerings like Tiger and Bunny and the Berserk films (with much of the original English cast) are other recent highlights.

kunonabi

Ranma 1/2 - still the greatest of all time and made the anime worth watching...before Richard Cox showed up anyway.
El Hazard
Tenchi Muyo
DBZ (Ocean Dub up to Frieza)
Slayers
Yu Yu Hakusho

Riki

*comes in*
*sees all the Yu Yu Hakusho love*

My people!

And can I add, that not only is it the best English Dub, it FAR outstrips the Japanese OVA. The Japanese voices actually ruin many of the characters (similar to DBZ).
English is the only way to watch the show.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I prefer the English dubs of Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex to the original Japanese.

I don't know why anybody is mentioning Trigun. Masaya Onosaka is waaay better than Johnny Young Bosch as Vash.

Guess Who

Banned
The first Hellsing had to make up their own ending.
Hellsing Ultimate is truer to the source material and has NORIO WAKAMOTO in the Japanese dub.

Yup. It's basically the difference between the original Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood - the OG Hellsing anime starts off like the manga but diverges; Ultimate sticks more closely to the source material (and also has quite a higher budget).

UberTag

For shows that weren't straight up comedies where humor is sometimes better re-written than translated - e.g. Shin Chan - I'd probably go with Beck as the English dub most improved over the original recording.
Beck's dub is pretty good
Beck's dub was so exceptional it literally ruined anime for me.
My reaction was "dubs will never get any better than this, I can stop watching now". And I pretty much did.

My runner-up noms go to Wolf's Rain, Black Lagoon, Infinite Ryvius, Koi Kaze, the twin bill of Taliesin Jaffe excellence (R.O.D The TV, both Hellsings) and pretty much any show directed by Mike McFarland (Fullmetal Alchemist, EVA Rebuild, Eden of the East, Summer Wars, Wolf Children).

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
Yup. It's basically the difference between the original Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood - the OG Hellsing anime starts off like the manga but diverges; Ultimate sticks more closely to the source material (and also has quite a higher budget).

So what's better, Original FA or Brotherhood?

rjc571

Banned
The Shin Chan Funimation dub is amazing. I love the ridiculously dark/fucked up humor that they added to many of the characters and situations.

I can never go back to a OP dub thanks solely to the terribad job 4Kids did with it. Just thinking about it makes me want to vomit.

I watched the 4kids dub first as well, but it didn't stop me from watching the subbed version when it stopped coming on. Maybe that version just didn't bother me as much as it did others.

Still a great show, when you get down to it.

Scavenger

Mad Bull 34. A terrible sexist anime made watchable and entertaining by a terrible typical 90's profanity-laden dub with British voice actors impersonating a Brooklyn accent. It's about a rookie police officer who teams up with an experienced ultra violent officer.

One of my favorite scenes of the whole series (13:29) NSFW:http://youtu.be/XY_s1L-MdKc?t=13m29s

Sonicbug

Top of my list: Bebop, Baccano, FLCL, and Black Lagoon

Most of Funimation's recent stuff has had really solid dubs, if not outright great ones. I really love Steins;Gate and Machiko & Hachin's dubs.

robot

Funny that you mention this. I was about to ask if I should listen to the original dub over the new one. I saw the first two episodes last night with the new dub and thought it was good for the most part. Is the old one significantly better or is it more of a nostalgia thing?

Might be a little bit of nostalgia but the newer dub was pretty awful. The original was kinda cheesy but it fit the show really well. It had a ton of memorable quotes that I don't remember making it in the new dub (or lacking the same delivery which kinda made them forgettable). The only downside to the original was Daisaku - everyone else was really good. He went through 2-3 different voice actors over the course of the show iirc. The DVD release I own has the both dubs, if you have the same def give it a listen to compare. Amazing OVA, now I want to watch it again.

Macka

As you say in the OP, FMA and Death Note are great dubbed. Bleach though? No.

Code Geass and Black Lagoon are also pretty good.

FlipWilson

Neo Member
After watching One Piece both subbed and dubbed I'd say that the dub holds up well with the sub.

after what they did to sanji......never forget

anyway
Full Metal Alchemist(and Brotherhood)
Samuria Champloo
Detective Conan
DBZ(I say this only because I watched the entire show in english)
Yu Yu Hakusho
G Gundam
Karas: The Prophecy/Revalation
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Caslte
Spirited Away(basically every Ghibli movie...or atleast the ones I saw)
Vandread...though it was alright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom