• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best examples of mixing various genres into one glorious game

eXistor

The Wonderful 101 is the one that popped in my mind first. It just keeps throwing different genres at you, so good.

Sacrifice mixes RTS and action elements quite well.

Sacrifice_by_Interplay_-_box_art.jpg

The first game that came to mind as well. Giants: Citizen Kabuto is another RTS and third person shooting/action genre-mixing PC game from around the same time period.

MechaZain

Banned
Toss in another vote for Actraiser and Musashi. I'm not sure why more games aren't like Actraiser honestly. That's one type of game I could imagine second screens actually improving.

Also Sonic Adventure games as a wildcard. A lot of us probably put more hours into the Chao Garden than the main game.

Shaanyboi

Banned
PuzzleQuest
Portal
Mirror's Edge
Wonderful 101
Quest for Glory
Warcraft 3
Henry Hatsworth
River City Rampage
Capcom's Dungeons and Dragons beat-em-ups

Mozendo

Deus Ex for obvious reasons
Deus Ex: Human Revolution how you shouldn't do it.

Mabinogi for mixing simulation with typical MMO gameplay. Even though the simulation part isn't as deep it still one of the most unique MMOs.

Although it's a mod, No More Room in Hell for mixing in Survival Horror with FPS.

But as for my favorite it has to be The Guardian Legend as people stated earlier.

I've brought my love of Culture Brain up before, but they did some interesting things merging RPG, adventure and action genres with some of their games. Oddly enough, you'd think that sort of combining would've caught on. I thought it was pretty cool:

Super Ninja Boy ...
TITLE.jpg

... exploration was handled in traditional JRPG fashion...
super-ninja-boy-04.png

... battles are random, but are handled in Beat 'Em Up bout fashion(defeat a number of said enemies to win the battle)...
Super-Ninja-Boy-Fighting.jpg

... but Boss battles are handled in turn-based format...
SNBoy30.jpg

It's predecessor, Little Ninja Brothers, was similar regarding it's JRPG exploration and turn-based boss battles, but random battles were handled more of a arena bout fashion(sticking you in a larger battle space and letting you go wild with taking out the enemies)...
LNB20.jpg

Interesting thing about those games is, the battlefield space has hazards and power-ups, both of which you can use to your advantage.

^^^ Seriously, I'd LOVE to see a modern JRPG do something similar to that. Not to mention those games were quirky as hell(remind me of the type of humor you see in the Goemon games and Brave Fencer Musashi).

Magic of Scheherazade...
Magic%20of%20Scheherazade,%20The-0--article_image.jpg

... exploration is very top-down LoZ-esque with room by room based maps...
0.jpg

... while most battles(even boss battles) are fought in real time, sometimes you'd get into a traditional random battle in turn-based fashion...
magic_of_scheherazade.jpg

Flying Warriors...
55542-Flying_Warriors_%28USA%29-9.png

... side-scrolling action platformer...
287125-flying-warriors-nes-screenshot-finding-a-chest-hidden-in-the.gif

... with some boss battles playing out in a sort of early-QTE fighting game(you get signal cues where to hit your enemy and were he's going to hit you)...
287132-flying-warriors-nes-screenshot-wrestlers-are-huge-s.gif

... and some boss battles playing out in turn-based RPG fashion...
flywarex-1.png

Shame Culture Brain's really strictly Japanese and are producing nothing but shovelware. They used to have some damn fine ideas.

Conker's Bad Fur Day.... that is all! ;)

I just really loved that game, wish Live and Reloaded was faithful to the Nintendo 64 Multiplayer.

Really thought I was going to be the one to bring up revengers of vengeance. Anyway didn't no more heroes have Shmup segments? Not to mention the mini games.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I always wanted Ninja Boy, but it's one of those games I ever saw in shops, and just admired from afar... but....

Flying Warriors...
55542-Flying_Warriors_%28USA%29-9.png

... side-scrolling action platformer...
287125-flying-warriors-nes-screenshot-finding-a-chest-hidden-in-the.gif

... with some boss battles playing out in a sort of early-QTE fighting game(you get signal cues where to hit your enemy and were he's going to hit you)...
287132-flying-warriors-nes-screenshot-wrestlers-are-huge-s.gif

... and some boss battles playing out in turn-based RPG fashion...
flywarex-1.png

Shame Culture Brain's really strictly Japanese and are producing nothing but shovelware. They used to have some damn fine ideas.

...yes, this I loved. Hiryu no Ken! They easily sold me with the oddball comics they had in Gamepro back in the day, and I really enjoyed the game when I finally got it. I love how the SNES releases and such were pretty much remakes over and over, haha. I like the ideas behind the Rush / Weak point system, even if it felt clunkier and more random than I'd like.

I guess the NES era games really let designers crush anything they wanted into a game without worry of it costing too much. A single game could hit upon ideas from each of ones favorite genres all at once, without it seeming completely weird.

The first game that came to mind as well. Giants: Citizen Kabuto is another RTS and third person shooting/action genre-mixing PC game from around the same time period.

When I finished Brutal Legend, people recommended to me Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Sacrifice. Should check into them since they're on GoG.

Arthea

Didn't even think of this but that's a great point. P4 took all those separate genres and mixed them perfectly.

If we talk about dating sim and other genre mixed, usually RPG or TRPG, there are lots of those. Most not very good though, except maybe Sakura Wars series.

L00P

Metroid Prime: FPS, puzzles and action adventure
Terraria: metroidvania, open-world, rogue-like, world-building
Wario Ware: Almost every genre in existence in bite-size form
Team Fortress 2: FPS, hat sim

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Nier

Mixed Action RPG with text adventure, bullet hell, Survival Horror and probably many other game types to form one of my favourite games of last gen.

Really now? I have Nier lying around somewhere and this, along with the praise the OST gets, is making me curious to play it. Does it take long to beat? I've never bothered with it because I figured it's a long game.

Really now? I have Nier lying around somewhere and this, along with the praise the OST gets, is making me curious to play it. Does it take long to beat? I've never bothered with it because I figured it's a long game.

It's rather short for an RPG, maybe around 20 hours. To get the most out of it, getting all endings is highly recommended though. The replays to get them are much faster luckily.

KoopaTheCasual

The first game that popped into my mind was Kingdom Hearts. Cool mix of RPG, action, and platformer. Also it turns into a Shmup with your Gummi Ship.

Arthea

Rune Factory
Harvest Moon x Animal Crossing x Loot RPG = crack

ya, Rune Factory is plenty addictive (><)
Isn't Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing the same thing though? I never played Animal Crossing.

The first game that popped into my mind was Kingdom Hearts. Cool mix of RPG, action, and platformer. Also it turns into a Shmup with your Gummi Ship.
I'm not so sure that was a good thing ;)

sp3000

One of my favorite genre blenders was Battlezone 2, which was a combo of FPS and RTS. The game was pretty buggy, but it got some decent mod support and was a blast to play coop with a buddy as one person did the base building and the other handled the units in combat. Great atmosphere too, but unfortunately, I don't think a BZ3 will ever appear.

I was wondering who was going to mention this game. Good to know that at least one other person has good taste on the forum.

Top Bottom