• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gaming monitor

Shaneus

Well, I have a benq xl2420t for 2 months now, and it is great and everything. Since this monitor, besides the 120Hz thing is also known has a stypid low input lag, I decided to try to compare it with the Wii U gamepad input lag.

I was expecting that this monitor would show the image slighly ahead of the gamepad, but to my surprise it was the exactly the same! I knew the gamepad was super fast, but I didn't though it was this much.

Here is the picture showing it:

My crap LCD TV also has the same input lag while in gaming mod, and it is much worse when not in gaming mode.

TV in gaming mode:

TV not in gaming mode:

This is not 100% related with the thread, but I think some people here might be interested in this comparison.

Edit: Ops, I'm using the direct images from dropbox. I'll upload them to somewhere else.

Edit 2: I fixed the images
It's probably been posted in this thread already, but how/where do you get that test from?

Sullichin

I have this ViewSonic monitor now which I like, but it's nothing amazing:
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008A3KFB8/

Having read this thread I just bought the Dell 2740L from Amazon hoping it will be a decent upgrade:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009H0XQPA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Good choice?

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008A3KFB8/

Is this a good monitor?

I live in Canada. Anything around $250 or under is good.

I don't really need the monitor for gaming but just for extra real estate for me to do stuff on my computer.

Suggestions?
This is the monitor I have now. It's pretty good. I'm replacing it though because I hear IPS screens are much better and I think I'd prefer a glossy screen for gaming.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've got a Dell 2311U and Asus VH236H, but I want to upgrade. Don't like the anti-glare coating on the Dell and the black levels aren't great, and the Asus is a TN panel, so it just kinda sucks. And both monitors are too goddamn small.

Anyone know anything about the Asus VX279H? Here's the link: http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VX279H/#overview

Its just 1080p, which is low for a 27", but I'm guessing that won't make much of a difference if I'm sitting a few feet back... that, and it's a hell of a lot easier to run games at 1080p than anything higher. And I might occasionally use consoles on them. But I dunno. Maybe there's a better choice. I just want something good, both in image quality and gaming performance, even if I have to spend a bit more to get it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Is it me, or is it just better off sticking with CCFL over edge-lit and direct-lit LED? In my experience, all LEDs have this awful bleeding on the sides or all around, although I've never had any issues with this on CCFL backlights.

TheContact

I have an LED IPS monitor from HP and the colors are amazing, blows my LCD Samsung out of the water although it's a bit smaller. The best ones are probably those korean made IPS ones, there's a thread on here somewhere already

danthefan

So, I need a new monitor. I can't decide how much money to spend on it, but I've a cheaper and more expensive one picked out.

Cheaper:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BSOT2LA/

Expensive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A4K9KBQ/

The speakers in the more expensive one aren't absolutely vital because I have a Sony Pulse headset which works fine for the PC, but they would certainly be nice to have.

Any thoughts, will the cheaper one do the trick? If so might just go for it. Any other suggestions?

Is there a dedicated monitor thread similar to the PC ones in terms of information presented? Would like to learn about some of the differences in more detail.

In any case, are there any good 3D monitors for around 3-400 dollars? If not what's the best 120 Hz monitor around that price range? The TV I've been using via HDMI is starting to lose some of its luster very slowly after 6 or so years. It's still perfectly fine, but I've been wanting to make the jump to 120 for a while now.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Asus VG248QE has negligible input lag, and the motion resolution with LightBoost is as good as a CRT monitor. It's pretty much the best gaming monitor out there as far as motion goes.

But no, the colors are not good, especially with LightBoost on. Still, I think it's a price well worth paying if you're playing competitive games.

Thanks guys! The local microcenter has one so I think I'll go pick up one up in an hour or two. Can't wait to finally see what 120 Hz looks like!

One question though, not really sure what the Nvidia vision stuff is all about. The monitor supports 3D from blu-ray and PS3 games as well right?

chemicals

I have a 22 inch Acer from 10 years ago and it kicks all kinds of ass.. I hate playing anything on an HDTV because for some reason I ALWAYS NOTICE INPUT LAG (although some of my friends think it's all in my head.) I freaking love my little Acer... it's fast as hell.

do you know how much the input lag is?

1 frame. Seriously. Take a look at this chart:

NPrMjxI.jpg

but the Tom's Hardware review I linked above has a lot more detail.

But no, the colors are not good

Compared to what? Yes, it's a TN (with all the compromises that entails), but that's what you're getting if you buy a 120/144Hz screen today. For a TN screen that focuses first on the motion side of things, it's got good contrast levels and solid gamut coverage. You wouldn't buy this monitor to do photo work, but measuring color and contrast for gaming purposes?

especially with LightBoost on.

LightBoost unavoidably slaughters color and brightness just by virtue of how the technology works. You gotta just accept that going in if you're gonna use it. (Luckily this is a super bright monitor to start with which helps a bit with the latter.)

Sethos

Banned
Say I was looking for a quality 1440p monitor which doesn't need to be specifically for gaming but be 'rated' for gaming with a decent input lag etc. what would you guys recommend? 120hz and all that has no interest, neither does TN panels.

I'm looking for a good and cheap 1080P gaming monitor with Audio output and HDMI input for Next-Gen console gaming(No room for a big screen). Would love to hear from fellow gaffers on the best and cheapest gaming monitor in the market.

Rickeh

I'm looking for a good and cheap 1080P gaming monitor with Audio output and HDMI input for Next-Gen console gaming(No room for a big screen). Would love to hear from fellow gaffers on the best and cheapest gaming monitor in the market.

The BenQ GL2450HM 24" seems to get good reviews as being both decent and very well priced (£110 from Amazon in the UK) I'm guesing 2ms is good for gaming. I know it's not an IPS but seems good that I might have to pick up one for myself! (to upgrade an old dell ultrasharp 1650x1050)

*Edit - Also I'm not sure about the audio side i think it has a headphone jack?

**double edit - it turns out you have to turn on the Advanced Motion Accelerator (AMA) in order to really benefit gaming wise with this monitor

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
hey guys, anyone can help me with this? I'm looking for a good 23" monitor without spending an arm and a leg. I have my eyes on a couple models, the LG IPS237-BN and Dell UltraSharp U2312HM. Which one is better for gaming and overall purposes? Do you have other reccomendations? Are there brands like Acer, AOC, Samsung with better examples?

Kabuto

hey guys, anyone can help me with this? I'm looking for a good 23" monitor without spending an arm and a leg. I have my eyes on a couple models, the LG IPS237-BN and Dell UltraSharp U2312HM. Which one is better for gaming and overall purposes? Do you have other reccomendations? Are there brands like Acer, AOC, Samsung with better examples?

I just got this ASUS 24-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor with Integrated Speakers from Amazon today for my 2nd monitor. My first monitor is a 27 inch version and I love both of them. A lot of inputs, colors are great, and they have pretty customizable settings.

Top Bottom