• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Grand Theft Auto Soundtrack?

8bit

Knows the Score
San Andreas. SF-UR in particular.

Self-Actualization / The Journey from 4 deserve a mention though. Driving around to A Rainbow in Curved Air was awesome.

I don't know what to say to people that don't like GTA V's soundtrack, there is a ton of variety between the genres of music and what songs are featured on each radio station. I can usually find 4-5 tracks on each station that I really enjoy, except for the Latino and reggae stations.

The lack of any decent Hard Rock/Heavy Metal station in V was/is disappointing to no end for me. That punk station just doesn't cut it.

MormaPope

Banned
The lack of any decent Hard Rock/Heavy Metal station in V was/is disappointing to no end for me. That punk station just doesn't cut it.

True, but the Country station and Electronic music stations were really good, like, really damn good. I wasn't expecting the abundance of Electronic music.

San Andreas, definitely:

Billy Idol - White Wedding
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name
Ozzy Ozbourne - Hellraiser
Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle
Danzig - Mother
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
Slick Rick - Children's Story
Public Enemy - Rebel Without A Pause
Kool G - Road To The Riches
Big Daddy Kane - Warm It Up Kane
Toto - Hold The Line
Dr Dre - Nuthin' But A G Thang
Dr Dre - F**k Wit Dre Day
Cypress Hill - How I Could Just Kill A Man
NWA - Express Yourself
Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day
Ice Cube - Check Yo Self

Dogfighting with the military while 'Hellraiser' plays. <3

I say San Andreas is definitely a close second. Was A Good Day actually on the soundtrack? Vice City only beats it because the rap station was exclusively West Coast. Every time I listen to automatic I think of shooting up in the club and the bartender nearly killing me with her shotgun.

Vice city

http://i.neoseeker.com/p/Games/PC/Action/Automobile
/gta_vicecity_profilelarge.jpg
Fuck that mission.

Can we look at the flip side of Vice City's soundtrack and realise that as good as it was digging into every corner of 80's huge chorus nostalgia it was effectively a daggy buy-off-tv-shopping-network 80's compilation.

The best and most impressive soundtrack is easily GTA V, especially now with next gen additions. To me it's probably the best collection of licenced songs in any video game ever.

Nope, Juicy, Rockit, and Act Like You Know are the shit.

I can't believe there are people that actually like IV's soundtrack.

The order is Vice City, San Andreas, III, V, and IV for me. Haven't played the handhelds or the first two games.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Vice City, easily can't really beat 80's music when it comes to atmosphere. I hope a future GTA goes back there, I'd just love to see what next gen lighting + 80's neon would look like. I bet it would be hot shit.

Cfer

Neo Member

So Vice City had a Hair Metal station because it relied heavily on the music to paint the scene/era for the game. There's a 2 hour heavy metal show on our national youth radio station here once a week - an entire heavy metal station is simply not authentic or capturing of any real world radio network.

Stealing a car and immediately tuning into V-rock or that one new wave station that played Psychedelic Furs or Human League is one thing, but there's something to be said about GTA V's ability to capture how a true radio station works and the audiences listening experience. The FlyLo FM station alone is sublime music curating.

So Vice City had a Hair Metal station because it relied heavily on the music to paint the scene/era for the game. There's a 2 hour heavy metal show on our national youth radio station here once a week - an entire heavy metal station is simply not authentic or capturing of any real world radio network.

Who cares? I just want some metal in my GTA V, lol.

MormaPope

Banned

Stealing a car and immediately tuning into V-rock or that one new wave station that played Psychedelic Furs or Human League is one thing, but there's something to be said about GTA V's ability to capture how a true radio station works and the audiences listening experience. The FlyLo FM station alone is sublime music curating.

Yup. I'll take radio stations that have more varied song selections but still feel realistic when it comes to the music they have. Vice City doesn't feel authentic, it feels like a bunch of "the best of the 80's" soundtracks were listened to and then Rockstar dudes picked which songs should make it in.

slop101

Banned
San Andreas

I'm assuming everyone picking Vice City didn't grow up in the '80s and already hated all those songs long before the game came out.

MormaPope

Banned
San Andreas has a much better soundtrack than Vice City. Keep in mind, San Andreas is a 50+ hour game on most people's playthroughs, and you drove/traveled a lot more in San Andreas versus Vice City. San Andreas's soundtrack doesn't get stale over the period of 50 hours, Vice City's soundtrack gets old after playing the game for 12 hours.

dust station in san andreas is fucking amazing, and the rock one was ok. but yeah vice city is obviously the best one

I like the pop station in 5 too

I don't know what to say to people that don't like GTA V's soundtrack, there is a ton of variety between the genres of music and what songs are featured on each radio station. I can usually find 4-5 tracks on each station that I really enjoy, except for the Latino and reggae stations.
Same. I'm no GTA aficionado, V is the only one I've beaten (although I got close in IV) but I thought the soundtrack was spot on and varied.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
1. Vice City
2. Vice City Stories
3. GTA IV
4. San Andreas
5. GTAV - no metal station really drops this down for me.

SugarDave

I always enjoyed Vice City Stories selection of 80s tracks more than Vice City's, although both are fantastic of course. Same goes for all the games.

Just exploring while listening to the radio is the best thing about GTA.

Top Bottom