• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best GTX 1070 in the market?

Justinh

I got the super clocked one. What do I need to do? They will ship me something?
You can request for them to ship you thermal pads if your card has an ACX 3.0 cooler and a backplate. For now I guess just do the VBIOS fan curve thingy.
I'm half tempted to just do the cross RMA just to see if I end up with a replacement that's at least more of a silicon lottery winner but it'd probably just be a refurbished card. >_>
From what I read in a comment in one of those articles, is that when you do a cross-shipment or whatever it's called, they put a hold on your credit card for the full amount of the card until they get the card you shipped them, when they release the charge.

It's an article comment, though, but I guess it's good to know if it's true.

Timu

Do not buy a Gigabyte 1070 at all right now, because of this: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ma...-geforce-gtx-1070-due-to-memory-issue,12.html

Essentially there is an issue with Micron-manufactured memory on 1070s made in the last few months, where the memory has issues with voltage changes.

What happens is that whenever the memory clocks to speeds required for gaming from a low power state, you will get severe artifacting appearing in a checkerboard pattern, which will end up in either a driver crash or a BSOD.

This normally applies to situations where you overclock the memory, though some have reported this happening even on stock speeds.

Where Gigabyte factor into this is that NVIDIA are working with vendors to fix the issue via BIOS updates. Everyone is working on a new BIOS...except Gigabyte. They refuse to acknowledge that the issue happens on their cards with Micron memory when users show it clearly does.

If you buy a new 1070 these days, you will almost certainly end up with Micron memory. Samsung memory, which features in all early made 1070s, are now rare and do not have any issues.
Really? That sucks. Guess I'll go either MSI or Asus then.

From what I read in a comment in one of those articles, is that when you do a cross-shipment or whatever it's called, they put a hold on your credit card for the full amount of the card until they get the card you shipped them, when they release the charge.

It's an article comment, though, but I guess it's good to know if it's true.

Oh yeah, if that's the case eff that.

I bought a MSI Founders Edition back in July, and I'm very happy to see that this card (and most likely many of the founders) has GDDR5 memory.

That Micron info scared me for a moment.

ISee

There was an article at computerbase.de about that a while ago. The differences are rather small in the top tier.

1.) Inno3D GeForce GTX 1070 iChill X3
Fast, quiet and only costs ~440€. But there is a small hook: If you want to overclock, get one of the other cards. The Inno 3Ds fan speed is already working close to its maximum limit, there isn't much of a headroom left (temperature wise).

2.) MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G.
This model is a little bit slower, but just as pleasantly quiet. The cooler also has sufficient reserves for overclocking.

Asus GTX 1070 Stric OC
3.) The third place goes to the Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Strix OC, which has about the same performance and is still quiet. On the plus side, the card also has the best RGB lighting and it is more energy efficient than its competitors.

EVGA GTX 1070 SC (outsider)
This card can't compete performance wise. But it is the most quiet card we tested.
But there are also some problem with EVGA cards atm (Gamer Nexus).

So far I had two gtx 1070s this generations OP. At first I had the Gigabyte gtx 1070 g1 with micron ddr5. It was a good card but I was running into power limitation very quickly while overclocking ('just' one 8 pin connector this time around, for whatever stupid reason). Also Amazon refused to send me a Gears4 code because the G1 wasn't participating in the nvidia program according to them (...).
So I send the g1 back and ordered the MSI 1070 G8 X (with samsung ram this time around).
The cooler is more silent then on the G1, but also a tiny bit less effective on factory settings. But you can easily turn the fan speed up a bit to achieve similar or even better results and to my surprise the fans are still more quiet. Over clockwise I'm able to achieve 2088mhz core clock (+147 clock) and +700mhz on the memory.

But if you really don't mind the price go for the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming. It's an overpriced, huge beast of a card and people seem to be able to breach the 2100mhz core clock barrier with it on a regular basis.

kuYuri

im gonna buy one this week, so GAF, which one is the best out there? i don't mind the price, i just wanna know which one is the most powerfull overall.

thanks.

So the Gigabyte G1 is the most powerfull one on the market now?

So which is it, do you want the "best" or the most powerful one? Most powerful doesn't necessarily mean the best I think.

Some of the more solid ones are MSI Gaming X or Asus Strix.

Timu

Is this a good one?
P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

If you truly don't mind the price, get a 1080.

Otherwise, get a Palit Gamerock Premium 1070 - by far the best cooler (but it's also enormous in size).

SoulUnison

Banned
I bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW about a month ago.
Do they cross-RMA for the thermal pads or only for the VBIOS?

I'm fine with the VBIOS update, but I'd rather not be directly messing with the hardware - that's what I thought I paid them to do.

ISee

Is this a good one?
P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

Not really.
There are cards in this price segment with higher factory clocks (e.g. iChill X3 ~440€) and if you want to overclock yourself and want to reach 2050+ then there is no way around the msi 8g x/z, the Asus strix, the gigabyte g1/xtreme etc. anyway.

Timu

Not really.
There are cards in this price segment with higher factory clocks (e.g. iChill X3) and if you want to overclock yourself and want to reach 2050+ then there is no way around the msi 8g x/z, the Asus strix, the gigabyte g1/xtreme etc. anyway.
Ok, fair enough, I'll look into the other cards.

tensuke

I have a Gigabyte G1 970, and it's an excellent card all around. OCs high and runs cool. Would recommend the G1.

LilJoka

Gigabyte G1 is the next to avoid after the EVGAs.
The G1 is not as high quality as its counterparts for its price and is louder.
MSI GAMER X, the 3 slot cards by palit and gainward are the ones to consider. And the zotac amp.

Crispy

I always went with MSI for videocards, never had a single defect and always easily overclockable. MSI will always be the manufacturer of choice for me.

Surprised how good my Palit Jetstream is. No coil whine, beefy backplate, cool and quiet and one of the lower priced models.

LilJoka

One of the loudest cards
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_1070_g1_gaming_review,11.html

Lesser heatpipes than MSI/Asus (2 vs 5). It's not the king like the 970 G1.

The OC headroom is very similar on all cards since nvidia clocked them high and no voltage control.

It's best to go with the biggest and quietest cooling solutions like the Palit GameRock.

The G1 holds a high rep from the 970, but their 1000 cards are just not as good against the others this time around.

ISee

Gigabyte G1 is the next to avoid after the EVGAs.
The G1 is not as high quality as its counterparts for its price and is louder.

It's still okay if you can find it for a cheaper price (was available for under 450€ for some time in Germany, probably because it didn't sell as expected). But mostly I agree it's a big step down after the excellent 9xx g1 series. And the xtreme gaming is just to expensive.

I requested the EVGA VRAM cooling pads. It was pretty easy to request, just one click basically. They also cover the card if you damage it during installation. Thanks for this thread for keeping me informed ;)

tensuke

He didn't have the power connectors on?

From the comments:
The PC would not start with the 8 pin connected. This happen after I unplugged the 8 pin.

And anyway, the card wouldn't catch fire, it would just try to draw more power than PCIE can deliver. Either your system just wouldn't boot, or the gpu might enter a low power state and downclock (haven't seen this in a while, but some cards did this). Damage could occur to the card or motherboard but it'd be unlikely.

Lanrutcon

So I'm thinking about grabbing a 1070. Thinking about the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB in particular. Anything I should know? I have a 750 PSU, the right connectors and my case has space for an 11 inch card.

Hellgardia

+1 on the Gigabyte g1 gtx1070. Great price/perf ratio since it is normally cheaper than its counterparts.
Other than that, MSI's gaming series is awesome. A friend has a gtx 1070 gaming x and i've had before a GTX970 Gaming and it ran like a dream while i had it

FLAguy954

My vote is for the Asus Strix 1070 OC. It's a nice card: power efficient, has RGB lighting, and it's a good overclocker.

What are the weak points for the Asus Strix 1070?

The only con I can think of is that the RGB lighting isn't 100% accurate to the color you choose i.e. red tends to look more dark orange.

Nyoro SF

Got a bit of a noob question... when they say updating the VBIOS, do I have to trigger that update on my end, or is it an automatic update through software?

Kiru

Got a bit of a noob question... when they say updating the VBIOS, do I have to trigger that update on my end, or is it an automatic update through software?
You have to download a file from their site and just run it. The update won't happen automatically.

Jebral

I had not really been paying attention to the EVGA hoopla. Thermal pads ordered for my 1070 FTW. Thanks, thread!

When I did the VRAM update it was a program you downloaded from their site and opened. It opened a command prompt, then you follow the prompts to flash it.

Nyoro SF

Thanks guys. I've been spoiled too long by automatic updates. I'll be sure to download the VBIOS update.

Ordered a thermal pad as well. With this I should be fine. I'm a bit sad that EVGA has had this sort of problem, as I used an EVGA 560 Ti for a very long time with no issues, and thus relied on their brand once again without a worry. :(

Stiler

Gonna throw my hat in the ring for the Zotac Amp Extreme.

That and the Palit Gamerock (This is in Europe only it seems, not in NA) are two of the top 1070's atm along with the strix gaming oc.

enewtabie

Got my 1070 FTW Aug 29th and no issues and been running it hard. I'll wait to see but still I think between their customer service and the cards known traits, I don't regret it. Still buying another EVGA card for the next build.

Top Bottom