• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best GTX 1070 in the market?

Ludovico

Just watched a video guide for applying the pads to my 1070.

Nah, dude. Nah.

RMA via Amazon and I guess go MSI. Damn.

vg260

Just watched a video guide for applying the pads to my 1070.

Nah, dude. Nah.

RMA via Amazon and I guess go MSI. Damn.

Yeah, I've put together PCs before, so I could do this, but I refuse. When I buy a card, I don't want to take it apart and have to clean it and apply thermal paste. I hate doing that. I just want to plug it in and use it.

This was my first EVGA card, and I can't say I'm too pleased. Either do that and/or have the bios run the fan faster, so the noise level I based my purchase on is no longer the same.

In any case, it's a hassle, and I'll buy another brand next time.

Zackat

So I just saw how you have to apply these thermal pads.... I really don't wanna do that, as computers are just legos for me and I really don't wanna mess with that. Will the VBIOS be enough or do I need to just ship it back to them? Really upsetting that this is happening with EVGA as I have used their cards for years with 0 issues.

DO NOT BUY ASUS GRAPHICS CARDS.

Their customer service is the worst of any video card brand out there.

Normally I'd recommend EVGA (the brand with the best customer service), but since their 1070s have been having issues lately, I'd say go MSI. The Gaming X 1070 is one hell of a card, and it's not too expensive for what you're getting.

I don't know about the 1070, but I have a 970 from msi and it's incredible.

I always avoided MSI because they have some of the worst branding, but the card is amazing. The fans on this is impressive. Silent and they cool like a motherfucker.

I came from 2 super overclocked gigabyte 470. These fermi cards. There never has ever been anything so loud. This was the top. This was before power reduction and thermal reduction became a massive area of focus for Nvidia. If you didn't experince Fermi. Be glad. Not because they were bad. They were incredible powerful. But they got so hot and were so loud. The fermi laptop graphic cards also got incredible toasty. Particularly in the macs.

Frostburn

DO NOT BUY ASUS GRAPHICS CARDS.

Their customer service is the worst of any video card brand out there.

Normally I'd recommend EVGA (the brand with the best customer service), but since their 1070s have been having issues lately, I'd say go MSI. The Gaming X 1070 is one hell of a card, and it's not too expensive for what you're getting.

I have heard their CS can be difficult to work with but my anecdotal experience having two previous Asus ROG cards is that they are rock solid and some of the best built. I have a GTX 770 that is still going strong in a friend's PC and a GTX 970 Strix that is in a PC I have now, both are rock stable and have been since I bought them.

LostDonkey

You can see them right on the top of the card

x3kbtmF.jpg

2 8 pins it looks like

Oh yeah, good spot. well then, WTF.

From what I read in a comment in one of those articles, is that when you do a cross-shipment or whatever it's called, they put a hold on your credit card for the full amount of the card until they get the card you shipped them, when they release the charge.

It's an article comment, though, but I guess it's good to know if it's true.

Just an update on this, turns out they're waiving putting a hold for the full amount and just putting a small charge on the card to verify the credit card works.

I ended up going through with it, putting the pads on isn't some big endeavor or anything but I'd prefer not to mess with it, despite being a day out of the 30 day warranty window for a new card replacement I'm apparently getting a new one. Hopefully I don't get a "silicon lottery loser" with it.

Top Bottom