• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Metal Slug versions out there?

Buy the ACA ports individually on PS4/Xbox One/Switch. If you are going to just buy one of the Metal Slugs buy 3, easily the best in the series.

Buy the ACA ports individually on PS4/Xbox One/Switch. If you are going to just buy one of the Metal Slugs buy 3, easily the best in the series.

So basically buy them individually for PS4 is my best option, is that right?

apparently buying the PS4 versions individually is your best bet.
I'm not sure which version is better Switch ACA metal slug 3 or the PS4 Solo Metal slug 3 <--- this one was done by a different company.

Poppy

i cant get behind X, it just feels like a wacky remix version of 2 with no cohesiveness

if it was just straight up 2 with lag reduction maybe. but even then i kind of think the lag of metal slug 2 is kinda charming

i cant get behind X, it just feels like a wacky remix version of 2 with no cohesiveness

if it was just straight up 2 with lag reduction maybe. but even then i kind of think the lag of metal slug 2 is kinda charming

I agree with you Metal slug 2 has more charm,
X imo is all over the place and I don't like the remix colored backgrounds incohesiveness.

Gitaroo

apparently buying the PS4 versions individually is your best bet.
I'm not sure which version is better Switch ACA metal slug 3 or the PS4 Solo Metal slug 3 <--- this one was done by a different company.

both MS3 on PS4 and Switch runs on emu I think so they got tons of slow down just like on the original hardware. Best version of MS3 is still OG xbox 1 version with zero slow down, rumble, extras etc. Hope it will be one of the games on BC once they start rolling out OG xbox games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
metal slug Anthology on psp ?
I own that game does it have the lags too?

I liked it &#129300;

Syril

both MS3 on PS4 and Switch runs on emu I think so they got tons of slow down just like on the original hardware. Best version of MS3 is still OG xbox 1 version with zero slow down, rumble, extras etc. Hope it will be one of the games on BC once they start rolling out OG xbox games.
Doesn't the Xbox version restart the stage when you continue? That's not so great when the final stage is longer than the entire rest of the game.

Vita anthology has no slowdown or input lag. Trust me, I own way too many copies of these games for many different platforms including the carts, themselves. I've felt the pain of bad ports (including the PS2 port) many many times over the years.

The anthology when played on a Vita has very minimal load times, no lag and scales pretty well on the handheld. No, the load times were not there on the original games, but when played on a Vita, they're virtually non-existent too. They're under 10 seconds and only occur before levels and do not disrupt the gameplay at all.

If I didn't have a Neo Geo, the Vita Anthology would easily win over anything on PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and even the Wii Virtual console (due to the lack of flashing on bosses to indicate damage).

The lack of hit flashes makes it unplayable. You literally do not know if you got any splash damage from throwing a grenade or shooting a Slug shell on the ground near a boss. That affects certain boss fights way too much to enjoy the series.

Gratifying to read; MSA on Vita is far and away my most-played game on the device.

sibarraz

Banned
Metal slug 1 is classic but I would say Metal slug 2 is a better buy. Metal Slug X is really the definitive version of Metal slug 2.

EDIT: As far as ports go I would recommend the anthology collection on PS4. contains all of them!

Do they have emulation problems on ps4? I remember that the original ps2 port was already kinda bad

Tizoc

I just went with the Steam versions. Those are fine right?
They are ok but humblebundle.com sells the rom versions which u can chuck into emulators for as close as 1:1 if that interests you
You can also speed up metal slug 2 this way

Vita anthology has no slowdown or input lag. Trust me, I own way too many copies of these games for many different platforms including the carts, themselves. I've felt the pain of bad ports (including the PS2 port) many many times over the years.

sucks that the Anthology never got released outside of the US :( Maybe LimitedRun could do a physical edition of it? :D

DieH@rd

Banned
X was my favourite arcade game when I was in high school. I did not play much arcade games, but from time to time I went back to an awesome X machine.

I got them all on switch and I'm quite happy with them. Sure they keep the slowdown from the OG hardware, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Portable HEEAVVY MACHINE GUNNN is just too good to pass up.

mao2

I've got the digital versions of Metal Slug Complete (Metal Slug Anthology) and Metal Slug XX for my PSP/Vita and they're great IMO.

HotHamBoy

Metal Slug 3 for PS4 is the definitive port of that game, no?

Everyone keeps saying "Vita Anthology" but I assume they mean PSP Anthology? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it have load times inserted at certain points during stages?

mao2

Everyone keeps saying "Vita Anthology" but I assume they mean PSP Anthology? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it have load times inserted at certain points during stages?
There are some brief pauses for loading but they're really minor.

Tailzo

Also, why can't I find Metal Slug anthology on Vita on euro PSN?

I did find METAL SLUG XX. Bu I've only ever tried MS games at a friends house, and I have no idea how bad the newer ones are. (But I do read often that only the first three or so are good?)

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Yep, I passed on the insanely better value Anthology and got Metal Slug 3.

Most user feedback of PS4 Anthology cite almost unplayable input lag.

M2's delisted port of Metal Slug 2 on the PS3 was secretly the best Metal Slug game.
It was MS2 with the option to overclock it so it didn't have (m)any frame rate drops or lag spikes.

Top Bottom