• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best optional content in a game?

vetrox

maxresdefault.jpg
The Aztec temple and moonraker levels of Goldeneye were great.

Chrono Trigger, The World Ends With You and SoTN have already been brought up, so my work's pretty much done.

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+ reigns supreme in this category.

Birth by Sleep Final Mix is no slouch, either:

There's the Unversed Missions:

A few optional (regular) bosses, like Monstro:

Some of the Mirage Arena Unversed boss fights (Some are mandatory, at least for Terra, but only the first three or so, I believe)

And about four post-game super bosses (Vanitas Remnant, Mysterious Figure (a.k.a
Young Xehanort from Kingdom Hearts 3D)
, Armor of the Master, and No Heart.)

And that's not even getting into some of the other stuff like the racing, rhythm and tennis minigames, as well as the addictive Command Board board games. Honestly, half the fun of KH games these days are digging into the crazy optional content.

JBwB

Everything that was optional (apart from the numerous point of interest markers) in the Witcher 3 was great.

Gilgamesh in FFXII is one of my favorite things ever:

I loved all the optional mark hunts etc in that game.

Same here. I hope a remaster is announced soon.

aravuus

Gilgamesh in FFXII is one of my favorite things ever:

286217-gilgamesh12.jpg

I loved all the optional mark hunts etc in that game.

Yeah, there was something super enjoyable about FFXII's optional marks. Essentially they're just simple kill quests, but somehow I always end up doing most of them.

Really I'd say PS1 and PS2 Final Fantasies in general. Aside from FFX's mini-games (which all suck dick) pretty much all of the optional stuff is fun in VII-XII.

Semajer

I'm a big fan of the cameo battles in the Tales of series. Being able to fight characters from old games, with remixed music is usually the biggest challenge in the game.

Hylian7

The Arena and True Arena in Kirby Super Star (Ultra in particular), Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe, and Planet Robobot. All of those have great bosses, and the True Arena especially can be challenging, which is a pretty large leap in difficulty for Kirby games. Often it's about picking the right ability, and reading the boss's telegraphed attacks. The True Arenas always have nice surprise bosses at the end such as Galacta Knight and Sectionia Soul (or any Soul form boss). I'm really glad the developers of Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe, and Planet Robobot understand why the fanbase liked Super Star Ultra so much.

The Witcher 3: The sidequests and Witcher Contract missions are, mostly, well fleshed out and enjoyable and far more than the usual go fetch this-and-that side quest.

Pretty much anything Mauville in ORAS. Pretty dark stuff in general but it's handled with a nice level of subtlety without being too convoluted or confusing.

Lulubop

Cave of trials is my favorite. STar Ocean 2 in general has my favorite opitional content in a game. There's so much.

Nosgotham

the dungeon crawling mode in Tobal no.1. i actually spent way more time in the rogue like mode than the main mode. to me, Tobal is a dungeon crawler, not a fighting game.

Runner up is Tekken 3's beat up mode.

jotun?

It's also amazing how several of them are rather hard to find even if you are looking for optional areas (there have been a few I didn't even know about until I read about them online).
That's one of my least-favorite things about Demon's Souls so far.. Too much shit that I'd never know without looking it up, so the choices are either spoil the game or miss out on a huge amount of it

That's one of my least-favorite things about Demon's Souls so far.. Too much shit that I'd never know without looking it up, so the choices are either spoil the game or miss out on a huge amount of it

I think that makes it extra special when you just stumble upon it without having looked it up beforehand. There's a chance you'll miss it but I think everyone knows the feeling of playing a game over again and finding something new, and from my experience, it's always a great feeling.

SirNinja

Adventure Mode in Diablo III. No end goal, no crappy story - just you and some friends plowing through an endless supply of random dungeons in a never-ending quest to see just how awesome you can get.

Top Bottom