• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best sentence in a video game ever?

Rymuth

"No dying, you hear me?!? You can't die until I've killed you properly! Mother? Mother!?" -
Arc the Lad IV

Kain

THERE'S NO WAY YOU'RE TAKING KAIRI'S HEART

God, I lost that fight so many times and had to sit through the cutscene every fucking time, I learned all that shit by heart xD

Malio

I'm sure it's been said already, but if not:

"You want to wash Wang? Or you want to watch Wang wash Wang?"

PsionBolt

A topical, poignant line from Crystalis (GBC), addressing modern society in a deeply nuanced way:

uDiHqyR.png

Yep. Wrong and dumb.

There's two ill probably never forget.

From dark souls 2 (from Aldia): "Men are props on the stage of life, and no matter how tender, how exquisite...I lie will remain a lie"

There is a lot to choose from dark souls, but this one is just perfect. The way it says the last part.

From Spec ops - the line (in the final countdown): "I never meant to hurt anybody"
To which conrad replies "No one ever does walker"

The final exchange is one of my top videogame moments and that line still haunts me.

thedan001

Alot of good ones already, I added some more

"A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him."
-Halo

"..."
-Link (any Zelda game)

"It's easy to forget what sin is in the middle of a battlefield"
-Solid Snake, MGS1

"Trust me."
-BT-7274, Titanfall 2

"NOTHING IS MORE BADASS THAN TREATING A WOMAN WITH RESPECT!"
-Mr. Torgue, Borderlands 2

"Often when we guess at others' motives, we reveal only our own"
-Mara Sov, Destiny

"I miss the internet"
-Graffiti from Left 4 Dead

"Some things in life, we just do."
-Lightning, FFXIII

"I... it's that stupid frog! Kissed any princesses lately?!"
-Magus, Chrono Trigger

The entirety of Max Payne 3 pretty much. Hard to choose one but I'll go with

"The mission was screaming suicide but I didn't give a damn, at least I'd die being a pain in the ass."

Kusagari

"The truth, Walker, is that you're here because you wanted to feel like something you're not; a hero." -
Konrad - Spec Ops: The Line

"What can change the nature of a man?" - Planescape: Torment

"The past is a puzzle, like a broken mirror. .... rain was comin' down like all the angels in heaven decided to take a piss at the same time." - May Payne 2

"The cake is a lie" - Portal

But really, the actual best:

yYzn3MS.jpg

wvan13

Surprised I haven't seen it yet.

"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here." from Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
"Some people just need killing." - Solid Snake

Xdco7Lr.gif

Garrus had the best dialogues in Mass Effect, especially after he became Space Batman in Mass Effect 2. Example:

Shepard: How'd you manage to piss off every merc band in the Terminus Systems?
Garrus: It wasn't easy. I really had to work at it.

"I'm Garrus Vakarian and THIS is my favorite place on the Citadel". Bioware nailed it. Made for a great last moment with Garrus before the final fight.

Cartho

Warcraft 3:

Terenas: "what are you doing my son?"
Arthas: "succeeding you, father."

That cutscene gives me chills every time I see it. It sets the scene for the sublime lore and events to come, told in Warcraft 3, Frozen Tribe and World of Warcraft, culminating in that final sublime boss encounter atop Icecrown Citadel.

Blizzard are such good storytellers.
https://youtu.be/VkDcVRM--RY

Gaminar

Banned
Ace Combat 4

"I was just a child when the stars fell from the sky..." - Narrator (I'll never forget how the game opened up and had this beautiful story to go through).

"You're not going to believe this Jean-Louis. All of them have ribbon insignias!" ― Gene

"Mobius 1, Engage" - HQ

The relationship between Yellow 13 and the narrator will remain as one of my favorite stories forever (it was just so real).

Ace Combat Zero

"Yo Buddy. You still alive?" - Pixy

"We will survive Galm1!" - Pixy

"It was a cold and snowy day..." - Pixy

"You and I are opposite sides of the same coin. When we face each other, we can finally see our true selves. There may be resemblance, but we never face the same direction." - Pixy

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either - Blaise Pascal (loading screen).

Inviusx

"Not even death can save you from me"

Diablo 2.

This line always freaked me out when I was younger. The thought of fighting for your life against a force who is basically Satan. Losing would be more than just dying and taking your own life wouldn't even end the suffering.

This line has stuck with me for almost 15 years.

''We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at. But... at least I always fought for what I believed in.''

Bit cheesy but in MGS1 Fox's last scenes stuck with me ever since I heard them as a kid.

Top Bottom