• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Time Travel Movie?

Donos

Primer is good but not easy to follow.

:) After watching it i had a 2 hours session on the internet (imdb forums and other sites explaining/discussing it). Found a similar sketch like yours only with a person crawling into a box, explaining the timelines. Helped a lot :)

daviyoung

Banned
Primer is good but not easy to follow.

I don't know what you're talking about

primer-chart.jpg

bebop242

QMtPwTE.jpg

I also think the TV show is better and the best Time Travel story in tv/film.

My all time favorite movie. However tried the first episode of the show and when they did the
effect on that watch or whatever it was with a scratch
I shreaked in horror and never returned to the show since.

ThankeeSai

Predestination - if you haven't seen it, don't read anything about it, give it a watch and prepare for your head to fall off.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Primer was a 10 page short story stretched over an excruciating two hours with the most basic production possible. Yeah, what was accomplished on a shoe-string budget is impressive and it internally complex/consistent compared to most blockbusters, but that doesn't make it worth watching.

Primer is a no budget movie with a bad script, muddled story telling, characters you don't care about, a complete lack of drama, etc. It's a boring, confusing movie. The only thing it has going for it is complexity. Anyone who loves movies should keep away from this crap movie.

Sotha_Sil

Primer is good, Coherence even better IMO.

Coherence is a significantly better movie than Primer, but it isn't time travel.

I'm fond of Star Trek IV. Light-hearted, self-aware, and the best ending to any ST movie. T2 is another fun classic, of course.

For more serious attempts, I quite enjoyed Looper and
Arrival
. I don't think Interstellar and Inception count, though they use various methods to change how the characters perceive time.

McLovin

My all time favorite movie. However tried the first episode of the show and when they did the
Shows a million times better then the movie IMO. Give it another shot.

aravuus

I like movies about time travel the most when they just go nuts with the time travel shenanigans, so movies like Timecrimes, Triangle and Primer are definitely some of my favorite ones.

QMtPwTE.jpg

I also think the TV show is better and the best Time Travel story in tv/film.

Really? Because I fucking love this movie. Maybe I should check out the show.

Metalmarc

Oh yes forgot The Terminator and Looper, Ash vs The Evil Dead oh and Les Visiteurs (Jean Reno) not the american remake though, meh.

Edit - god damn just found out they meade a part 2 & 3 of Les Visteurs

Also am i the only one who doesnt like Back to the Future?

Replies 1 and 2 nailing what should've been the OP. Back to the Future will always be THE time travel movie for which all others are judged against, and it's tough to beat.

I think you could count Interstellar as time travel, in a kindof roundabout way. And I really dug 2002's The Time Machine, mostly I think because HG Wells' book was my jam.

Oooh, forgot FAQ About Time Travel and Safety Not Guaranteed, both pretty good.

Zoe

I'm not to sure how true this is, but I read in one article that the show was pitched as an original time travel show. The 12 Monkeys property was forced on them.

The show barely has a passing resemblance to the movie now, and that's what makes it so good.

EVO

Primer is too smart for its own good. Timecrimes is one of my all time favourites. The first time I watched it I was on acid and it was seriously mind blowing. Synchronicity is a pretty good low budget one too. I'm pretty sure it's on Netflix still.

gamz

Primer is a no budget movie with a bad script, muddled story telling, characters you don't care about, a complete lack of drama, etc. It's a boring, confusing movie. The only thing it has going for it is complexity. Anyone who loves movies should keep away from this crap movie.

What?! It has a very tight, intelligent script. Anyone who wants to be challenged should watch the movie. One of the best sci-fi movies of the past 20 years. Easily!

I hate to see what you think of 2001. Not that I'm comparing the two.

I've never understood Primer. Maybe I'm not intelligent enough and I think someone on this forum has explained it to me before, but it basically seems to me that they go back in time to punch a guy in the face at a party.

Triangle is a really good one.

It's a solid underrated horror film with a decent plot. I liked it much more than I was expecting to.

Inception, Interstellar

Inception doesn't have time travel in it? Time moves slowly in the dreams-within-dreams, but unless I missed something there's no actual time travel?

EDIT - one thing I would really recommend that isn't a movie would be the Doctor Who episode 'Blink'. It's a really clever plot about time travel and it's so well written the Doctor is barely in it but it's brilliant regardless.

haveheart

Banned
E7xwq.jpg

Time travel movies are the best movies.

Donnie Darko is awesome because it's time travel X coming of age

Primer is the best grounded time travel movie, it's so down-to-earth.

Looper's story/scenario is supercool, time travelling bounty hunters wtf!

These would be my top 3 in that order. Donnie Darko is my fav movie of all time.

Don't think it was already mentioned but I really liked Contigency!

gamz

Anyone see a short movie that made waves years ago called Bobby Loves Mangos? If not check it out on YouTube. Such a great little short that is like a twilight Zone ep.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm not to sure how true this is, but I read in one article that the show was pitched as an original time travel show. The 12 Monkeys property was forced on them.

That would make a lot of sense.

Really? Because I fucking love this movie. Maybe I should check out the show.

Yup - it's not as wacky and weird as the film but instead turns up the dial on Time Travel shenanigans all the way up, more so starting in the second season. It covers so many subjects dealing with time travel, it's scifi bliss.

Can I break the rules and list a TV show? And an anime at that? Because I've never seen anything that has done time travel as well as the below has:

73199l.jpg

If I have to go with a movie, I'll say Back to the Future. Though Primer has a lot of votes in here, so I might have to watch it this weekend.

wapplew

Agree with everyone mention Triangle.
Some really cool ideas which could use for video game, apply those for new game plus, new game plus plus...

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Not a movie, and taken away from us a couple of seasons earlier than it should, but Continuum is brilliant and you should all watch it.

Regarding movies, there a bunch I love, but whoever first mentioned About Time in this thread gets a cookie, since I really love that one.

Also I'm just glad
almost
no one has said they liked stuff like Freejack, Burton's Planet of the Apes or Project Almanac *shudder*

My vote is Primer also. But you have to watch it a few times to get it. Most of it that is. First time I watched it there's that moment about halfway through that I got VERY confused on WTF was happening.

It's what really might happen if a couple of dudes got a short-distance time travel machine. Trying to correct their own mistakes and the timeline getting all fucked up.

12 Monkeys is my runner up.

Safety not Guaranteed gets a nod from me, more of a romcom but I like it.

Pretty sure this is a straight to DVD / TV movie that ran on the SciFi channel, but I remember really enjoying it when I saw it. That was back in 2005 though...

Main idea is that a dude makes a device that lets him travel 10 minutes back in time. He decides to use that power to try to get a date with a bank tellar on the same day a gang decides to rob said bank.

Side note, there are a lot of movies called Slipstream.

TDLink

Agreed completely. I think anyone who really loves Primer is just looking for something that is technically complicated and not actually a good film. It fails in pretty much every way in being a compelling film. And at under standard feature length it actually felt like a slog.

Those who have seen The Lake House need to get on to watching the original Il Mare. Il Mare is no doubt a personal favourite of the Korean films I have watched (and I must have watched 100 films by now).

Another film with a similar gimmick is Ditto, released in the same year and also a Korean Film.

I personally would not consider them time travel films since the characters themselves do no time travel. Their communication is what travels through time.

When it comes to films that are best in the whole time wimey drawing diagrams did-the-character-just-cause-his-own-time-travel-to-his-past-self? Would have to be Timecrimes, try to watch the film blind, since any discussion of the plot is essentially spoilers.

ActWan

No doubt it is Primer.
Most if not all time travel movies fall into a limbo that doesn't make sense - "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" - essentially actions done while traveling to a point in time affect the travel itself, and it creates an infinite loop which doesn't make sense.
I watched it a few years ago so I don't fully remember, but I think Primer handled it well with it's time travel mechanic.

Top Bottom