• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BestBuy is charging people $20 for the Destiny2 BETA code if you cancel your preorder

Pre-order bonus fuckery pisses me off.

I know the Square Enix Online store said they wouldn't issue refunds on Stormblood if you used the early access code. The past few years I've started to think you're better off not preordering (unless you're trying to get the NES/SNES Classic apparently).

I usually say why not preorder since you can always cancel with no problems, well if this starts becoming the norm that will no longer hold true and I will definitely stop preordering.

No more shitty than reserving something for the code and then canceling it. On the flipside, they could be like Newegg and sell them.
How is that shitty? The code is for a beta. So if I pre order to play the beta and I think the beta sucks I should be obligated to spend $60 on a game I don't want?

Highly doubt this is intentional.

If it is and people preorder then cancel...well they still pre-ordered, even if they cancelled later. I'm sure they can't legally just decide to charge people $20 for something that's free.

Effect

Pre-order bonus fuckery pisses me off.

I know the Square Enix Online store said they wouldn't issue refunds on Stormblood if you used the early access code. The past few years I've started to think you're better off not preordering (unless you're trying to get the NES/SNES Classic apparently).

In that case you're actually accessing the content of the product you purchased. The lack of a refund in that case makes sense. Especially since they warn you ahead of time.

Krakn3Dfx

The people in this thread defending Best Buy's position, holy shit. This is shady as fuck. It's not like Best Buy is paying extra for these beta keys, and they're not out anything if someone cancels after playing the beta.

How is that shitty? The code is for a beta. So if I pre order to play the beta and I think the beta sucks I should be obligated to spend $60 on a game I don't want?

Well, for starters the beta is part of the deal for the game, not the other way around. The offer is PRE-ORDER the game and get the code, not pre-order,g et the code then cancel. You are cheating the system, you are bypassing the firewall. Secondly, if you judge a game by a beta.... yeah, there are other issues here.

Or you could wait for the open beta.

Gestault

No more shitty than reserving something for the code and then canceling it.

No, this weird "charge an arbitrary $20" policy is actually much, much worse than a customer playing an early access demo then deciding they didn't want the full game (which is fully compliant with the stated pre-order policies).

Then like I said before. If you judge a game, by the beta and not even a demo, which isn't even indicative of the finished game then there is an issue.

So there ;)

Wow, another for the block-list.

Lee

That's an easy dispute. You didn't order the beta code. Dispute that shit and never deal with Best Buy again.

I plan to, and I feel lucky I caught it. The cancelled order dropped out of my "active orders" or whatever it's called. If I didn't take a second look I wouldn't have noticed, so I wonder how many people out there who aren't keen on double checking these things are just getting charged without realizing. That's partly why I made this thread.

I'm not worried about my $20. I'll get a refund and move on. I'm worried about the practice itself.

Gaspard

I think "I played the beta and didn't like the game" would be an acceptable reason to get your money back.

Same, that's what happened when I tried the original Destiny beta when I pre-ordered from Amazon and didn't really care for it.

Why are y'all rationalizing paid demos.

Lee

Then like I said before. If you judge a game, by the beta and not even a demo, which isn't even indicative of the finished game then there is an issue.

So there ;)

So either way the customer is always wrong and preorders w/ betas are iron clad, sacred agreements to buy it day one?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Customer Service is gonna hate the guy who decided to code that into the sales.

Though I'm sure they'll make money off people who didn't notice or can't be bothered to contest it.

Daedardus

Still, charging $20 for a beta code is not a consumer friendly practice. Maybe if they did like $5 to discourage cancelling, but $20 is crazy over the top. The beta isn't worth that much compared to the $48 game, in my opinion.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is actually being defended....

If it cost $20 to pre order I could see...

Like some have said if it was broken down up front as the cost, I could see....

Never mind the beta....its something thats open to every one in a few days. Charging for the beta now is wrong if it wasnt explained up front. No matter if ppl were gaming the system.

Heel

From April, oddly enough.

m6HyslW.png

Well, for starters the beta is part of the deal for the game, not the other way around. The offer is PRE-ORDER the game and get the code, not pre-order,g et the code then cancel. You are cheating the system, you are bypassing the firewall. Secondly, if you judge a game by a beta.... yeah, there are other issues here.

You aren't cheating the system. There is no obligation to keep a pre order if you change your mind about buying a game. People who were pre ordering for a demo and then canceling weren't breaking any rules.

There was absolutely nothing anywhere that said that you couldn't cancel after pre ordering. That's why everyone did it without any repercussion. And if this is the solution to that, then they're just digging themselves deeper.

Also, saying that people shouldn't judge by the beta is straight up fucking dumb. It's literally the only option to try a game before you buy it in the vast majority of cases these days.

Z_Y

The offer is pre-order the game and get the code.

The offer wasn't pre-order the game for $40 and get the code for $20.

Pre-orders can be cancelled.

As asked earlier in this thread? Who's keeping that $20?

This is one of the worst cases of corporate apologism I've ever seen on GAF.

espher

Secondly, if you judge a game by a beta.... yeah, there are other issues here.

I judge games (and their developers) by their betas (and how they progress) all the time... especially when more and more 'beta tests' today (even closed ones) are basically marketing previews and not actual beta tests.

Never steered me wrong!

MrDenny

Similar thing happened to me when I pre ordered uncharted. I cancelled Uncharted 4, months before the release date and Best Buy still sent me the pre order bonus coin and charged me 10$ for it. Had to contact customer support to get a refund.

Reallink

Customer Service is gonna hate the guy who decided to code that into the sales.

Though I'm sure they'll make money off people who didn't notice or can't be bothered to contest it.

They will have to refund everyone automatically. As the receipts list $0.00, retroactively recharging it as $20 violates every credit, sales, and consumer protections act/law in existence.

HBP

Yet another reason to hate BB, I got mine from Amazon, I just redeemed the code today and plan on keeping my order unless I hate the beta.

jrcbandit

Sounds like this was an error, but it definitely isn't only affecting a small number of people. If this was intentional from the start, the pre-order shouldn't have shown $0 value during the pre-order. Plus, if they were going to do something like this, the price would need to be like $1-2, not a ridiculous $20...

Heel

Weird that it's resolved and affected only a small number of orders but appears to be happening to this day and to everyone who cancels.

Thanks for sharing that though.

Yeah, who knows. Seems like plenty of ammo to get a refund at the very least, though.

First of all this is obviously an error. Second, you just said it yourself. The offer is to pre-order the game and get the code. Simple as that.

Obviously the retailers intention is for you to keep the preorder, and that's the way you're interpreting it, but that is not the actual offer. Until Best Buy and other retailers update the way this is handled, people are not technically gaming any system.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

m6HyslW.png

Thank you! I figured it was a system glitch. It is still worth making those aware who might be cancelling their orders now that the beta is out of after though in case this happens to them. So, still good to have this thread either way.

This should be added to the OP.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think "I played the beta and didn't like the game" would be an acceptable reason to get your money back.
How about just not getting charged for it in the first place. Other retailers do it which is likely why this was stated to be an error from BB in the first place.

neoemonk

In that case you're actually accessing the content of the product you purchased. The lack of a refund in that case makes sense. Especially since they warn you ahead of time.

You clearly didn't try to play Stormblood during early access!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

m6HyslW.png

But now that we know this is an error how will all of these corporate defenders in here rationalize it?!

lol beat me to it.

I mean even without this, cmon....there is nothing to defend here.

It is shady, but I think it's equally shady to pre-order a game with the intention to cancel as soon as you get the beta code.

How about if it was an actual physical item and it had the stipulation 'cancel at anytime but insert-item-here is yours to keep'

Is it shady then?

Because I have seen that for numerous things that included order bonuses. Probably some infomercial stuff.

Top Bottom