• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BestBuy is charging people $20 for the Destiny2 BETA code if you cancel your preorder

See I think this is just a very 'entitled' and immature way to look at it. They are letting you 'taste' the game as a reward for players preordering.

Preordering just for the code and cancelling right after is not the purpose of this particular 'early' beta. If you want to play the beta, you should just wait till they give you open access. Then you can decide.

So ya, the preorder/cancel method of getting keys is pretty much as shady as it gets. You're 'stealing' early access to the beta.

This solution is unworkable and overly complicated. While we can debate the ethics of preordering and cancelling upon receipt of the beta code, those who try the beta and do not like the game ought to be allowed to cancel their preorder.

Reading the thread on D2 Beta, there are plenty of Destiny diehards who are terribly disappointed with the beta. Should they not be allowed to cancel if their have partaken in the early access Beta? Would BBY not allow them to return unopened physical copies of the game for full credit if they thought the beta stunk? What if they didn't like the review scores? Where do we draw the line?

Kudo

How legal is this even? Unless the product states that once you receive the key you owe them 20$ if you cancel, I really don't see how this could be even legal.
"Oh we forgot to mention this product is SPECIAL, cancel it and there's a fee".

Kodros

Considering you already got (and used) a part of the bundle you pre-ordered I can't blame Best Buy here. Blame Activision/Bungie for making this a pre-order bonus.

We are talking about a code that has zero value. It costs Best Buy, Activision, and Bungie ZERO money to generate this code.

There really is a GAF defence force for everything huh? I mean ITT we have people siding with a well known megacorp that often leans on shitty practices trying to charge the third of the price of an order for a fucking code they pay nothing for. People who seem to think cancelling an order is 'gaming the system' seem to be completely unaware of the systems they're being gamed by.

they're probably to high up on their "high horse" to read this anyway...

ironmang

See I think this is just a very 'entitled' and immature way to look at it. They are letting you 'taste' the game as a reward for players preordering.

Preordering just for the code and cancelling right after is not the purpose of this particular 'early' beta. If you want to play the beta, you should just wait till they give you open access. Then you can decide.

So ya, the preorder/cancel method of getting keys is pretty much as shady as it gets. You're 'stealing' early access to the beta.

They already get benefits from giving the public access to the game. Better preparation to help avoid a technical disaster at launch and free advertisement. Keeping beta codes behind preorders is just being greedy.

But whatever, call people entitled and immature for suggesting that.

Drensch

This is the result of people being tricked into beta testing. Companies used to pay people to find bugs. Now people do it for free. You may not be"corporate defending" Best buy, but you're doing it for Activision.

Stiler

They are trying to discourage people preordering and cancelling the orders after getting the code. Can't blame them.

Beta codes cost $0. The Publisher gives the stores the codes, they do NOT pay the publishers for these codes.

Cancelling orders, etc are done via computers, not real people (unless you get a support agent involved in it through chat/calling them).

It's basically one big automated system, so I don't see where on earth you can think taking $20 for it is in the right.

If stores/publishers did not want this to happen all they have to do is sell the game and make it clear when you buy it that once you receive the beta cod eand use it you can NOT cancel the order and charge it at the time of purchase.

That will stop people from pre order and then cancelling, until then it is in no way right to ding people with a $20 charge for something that cost best buy $0 and is done automatically through their system.

Syriel

Someone could argue its shady to preorder a game and cancel it tight after getring the code.

Not sure what to think about this. Dont have a problem with people preordering a game just for a beta code, but it is obvious that the publishers dont line that behavior.

It's a common practice on CAG and SD. People will pre-order, get code, sell code, cancel, then start over.

Does that mean there's a monetary value to beta now?

Beta codes have always had value. People flip them on eBay and even here on GAF's B/S/T. If the game is popular, the beta code has value.

ElfArmy177

Eh... I don't blame em. People fuck over companies to get free shit all the time. Kinda your own fault if you prepurchase just to get beta and then cancel

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
No more shitty than reserving something for the code and then canceling it. On the flipside, they could be like Newegg and sell them.

What is this level of BS? The stores should make pre-orders uncancellable if they truly feel that way. Or maybe the Beta should just be open and not tiered to platform alliance abd pre orders at all. What BB is doing is theft if they werent upfront at the time of pre order. Flat out.

This is the result of people being tricked into beta testing. Companies used to pay people to find bugs. Now people do it for free. You may not be"corporate defending" Best buy, but you're doing it for Activision.

There isn't any easy way to find bugs for a game where milllions of people play at the same time except by letting millions of people play at the same time and seeing what breaks.

Velcro Fly

It is probably priced at a point that no one would really pay that much for it to discourage people from cancelling their preorder once they get the code. $5 is nothing. $20 for a beta code is crazy.

Sakura

I wouldn't really have a problem with it if they were upfront about it when you preorder.
I can understand a bunch of people cancelling preorders just for codes to be undesirable for a company. But charging you after the fact without warning isn't a great practice.

smurfx

get some go again
hey this happened to me. i called customer service a few times and they said they had refunded me and i never got anything. i'll call again tomorrow and demand a refund. i cancelled because best buy had charged me for 2 pre orders when i thought they would charge me when the games shipped.

I mean is it shady? Preordering the game gets you an early access code. That's part of the package. Blame activision for that even being a thing
Yes? If they did want people to do that then they should have advertised as such, not charged people 20 dollars for a few days of early access for a beta.

Edit: what the hell at the defense force lol

shmoglish

It's a common practice on CAG and SD. People will pre-order, get code, sell code, cancel, then start over.

I have a few friends who do this aswell. Personally I couldnt care less about it. But like I said, I can understand the publishers/the shop. If you preorder a game, you have a contract with best buy/whoever (and in this case you benefit way before the game releases). May be wrong here, but being able to cancel something you have ordered is a goodwill gesture. I think you can understand the 20$ (it was a mistake anyway) as a contractual penalty. 20$ would be way to much of course.

Dont know anything about the americam law and how contracts work there, so I may be totally wrong here.

Night.Ninja

Banned
The beta should be open to everyone all this pre ordeing to get a beta code is bullshit.

I prefer the way halo 3 did you got a great game and a good beta

halfbeast

Banned
NtXFNSN.gif

sYx4lkd.jpg

h773rPZ.jpg

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

x5ynn7h.jpg

8873e4657e134bc866ae829b9209c429.gif

(she's bi)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
They've been doing this with other products like pre-order X movie and get a digital download code free.

If you cancel the movie, they charge you for the digital code.

They did that to me last year and it took almost an hour worth of calls over 2 days to get it refunded.

So I've tried to PM 3 different Mods over at the BestBuy forums as well as post a topic... yesterday

...and still haven't gotten a response. Yeah, the $20 is still on my CC and I'm legit starting to get pissed...

EDIT - before someone says anything, I WOULD call them, but I am currently deployed and there's an 11 hour or so time difference

wvan13

I should check mine. Put 5 dollars down a month ago for the beta code, cancelled a few weeks back because I wanted that 5 dollars for food.

It kept a penny as the charge, for the beta code, and refunded 4.99. And my buddy did the same thing, because he didn't care to keep 5 dollars down. We're both employees, so I'll try to look into it.

Zakalwe

Banned

No, you're not.

BestBuy Community Mod from the Gaming side finally got back to me and has processed my refund of $19.99

whew!

Mind you, I AM still buying D2 when it releases...

It's shady to me because they don't tell you before hand, but I'm okay with this process. Preordering to get the code and then cancelling is so trifling but at the same time, having to preorder to get into a beta is trifling as well. Especially considering the beta was going to be open at some point anyways....

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
There really is a GAF defence force for everything huh? I mean ITT we have people siding with a well known megacorp that often leans on shitty practices trying to charge the third of the price of an order for a fucking code they pay nothing for. People who seem to think cancelling an order is 'gaming the system' seem to be completely unaware of the systems they're being gamed by.

how is preordering a game you have no intention of ever purchasing, and then cancelling the preorder once you receive incentives for preordering not gaming the system?

i know not everyone does that, but many did and you know it. totally gaming the system and why you see this reaction.

Journey

Banned
They are trying to discourage people preordering and cancelling the orders after getting the code. Can't blame them.

Sure you can.

What planet am I on?

You can always try to point blame at someone, doesn't mean they should be blamed. If anyone we should blame the scammers for trying to get free stuff all the time, just visit cheapassgamer and every day there's a trick/scam on how to get free stuff at the expense of the seller.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Beta codes cost $0. The Publisher gives the stores the codes, they do NOT pay the publishers for these codes.

Cancelling orders, etc are done via computers, not real people (unless you get a support agent involved in it through chat/calling them).

It's basically one big automated system, so I don't see where on earth you can think taking $20 for it is in the right.

If stores/publishers did not want this to happen all they have to do is sell the game and make it clear when you buy it that once you receive the beta cod eand use it you can NOT cancel the order and charge it at the time of purchase.

That will stop people from pre order and then cancelling, until then it is in no way right to ding people with a $20 charge for something that cost best buy $0 and is done automatically through their system.

music streaming is computerized, should be free?

jacobeid

Banned
how is preordering a game you have no intention of ever purchasing, and then cancelling the preorder once you receive incentives for preordering not gaming the system?

i know not everyone does that, but many did and you know it. totally gaming the system and why you see this reaction.

Which, again, most people agree about and is not the issue we are discussing here. The only issue pertinent to this situation is that Best Buy doesn't tell you about the charge beforehand, completely fucking over people like the OP who decided to buy the game digitally instead of physically. OP did not game the system but instead got screwed by it.

If you want to defend the practice of not telling consumers about a charge $20 for the beta if they cancel the order beforehand then you're the biggest corporate shill around.

Wagram

Error or no it's certainly a grey area.

Is it really any worse than a consumer throwing down money full well knowing they never had any intention to buy it? Can't say I feel it's any worse than what people are doing there.

Z_Y

You can always try to point blame at someone, doesn't mean they should be blamed. If anyone we should blame the scammers for trying to get free stuff all the time, just visit cheapassgamer and every day there's a trick/scam on how to get free stuff at the expense of the seller.

How do you weed out the people who are just pre-ordering for a code from the people who just want to cancel because they changed their mind or they need the money for something else? You can't, so you don't. So the blame is squarely on Best Buy for doing this (if it was intentional).

Lol Yeah, no. I'd throw a fuckin fit if they tried that bullshit. I'd imagine this idea is going to go over like a lead balloon. Gotta love Activision.

Blam

I mean shit I mean personally Amazon should start doing this since this is gonna be lost buisness anyways if you're doing this just for the beta code.

Said it once but I'll say it again... *Deep breath*. This is a flipping open beta and it has been openly known for quite some time. It starts today, so if you can't wait 2-3 days to play it, well I don't know what to say.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I mean shit I mean personally Amazon should start doing this since this is gonna be lost buisness anyways if you're doing this just for the beta code.

why ? the beta key should be just for everyone

MoeDabs

Said it once but I'll say it again... *Deep breath*. This is a flipping open beta and it has been openly known for quite some time. It starts today, so if you can't wait 2-3 days to play it, well I don't know what to say.

Your bitching about how people deserve to get charged is tiresome.

Blam

why ? the beta key should be just for everyone

That's why there's an open beta. Early access betas are for people who put the money down and actually wanted to pre-order the game for the game and not just the beta.

This is nuts to defend.

-If they had listed a price of $20 when you preordered, then they would be well within their right to take $20 from you given their policies.

-But since they literally list $0 as the price of the Beta when you pre-ordered, that's they bill of sale they are agreeing to with you and exactly how much they can extract from you if you cancel your preorder.

Come on people. You don't need to be a lawyer to understand this stuff. (But I do have that background if it means something.)

Error or no it's certainly a grey area.

Is it really any worse than a consumer throwing down money full well knowing they never had any intention to buy it? Can't say I feel it's any worse than what people are doing there.

If Best Buy wants to do "No Refund" preorders, then they can certainly see what that does to their business (Never mind the legal reasons they wouldn't be able to enforce that in many places). At least they are being up front about it.

But yeah, you can't turn around and arbitrarily assign a value to the "product" they gave you, especially when the previously assigned value was $0.

A court could assess some type of value, but I'd bet the court would sooner throw the case out as it would be a nightmare to come up with actual damages BB would be owed.

J_Viper

Well damn, I was gonna cancel my pre-order since I might have to sell my PC, but I don't want to get hit with a $20 charge

I paid for my pre-order with Reward certificates and a gift card, so hopefully there won't be trouble

Top Bottom