• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda is being extremely shady about The Evil Within's PC framerate

Omega

Banned
nowhere on his post did the dude say his opinion was all that mattered. He said he's tired of the nitpicking, and that he prefers 60 but wouldnt pass on a 30fps game. He didnt even say "I dont understand why people would", he stated his opinion on what he does and nothing else.

good lord people :/

It kind of did.

Bitching that we expect 60FPS and he's tired of it. Good on him if he wants to play a slideshow, most of us don't.

I would be really disappointed if this was a locked 30, especially with the legacy of this engine having smooth framerates (although tied to physics rate). Even back in Quake 4 that was eventually patched to allow >60fps without the physics being affected. Bethesda needs to be more clear about this prerelease, the damage they did with the system requirements was already enough.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt that is the reason. Modern game engines aren;t programmed that way. That is like the most novice mistake in modern game programming. And anyway, Wolf can dip under 60 as well and that doesn't affect the game logic. My speculation it has something to do with the megatexturing.

I don't mind if there is an option to lock the framerate to 30, or 60, or any other number. But that is what it should be, an option.

Dark Souls 2 is a great example of how certain game systems (AI, dodging, animations) break when the framerate goes over the "designed" cap.

Even if it was locked, the PC modding community would release a 60fps patch within a week, let's be honest. PC gaming knows no limitations.

onken

No 60 fps, no buy from me at launch, simple as that. Will pick on sale much later if locked to 30.

JayEH

You have to wonder, why did Tango even mess with id tech 5? It gives free 60 fps for everything even last gen consoles.

I'm getting this on PS4 but it sucks for all the PC users if they're getting a bad port.

Even if it was locked, the PC modding community would release a 60fps patch within a week, let's be honest. PC gaming knows no limitations.

This isn't always so easy. Dark Souls has issues with 60 FPS for example.

Many titles with a lock have that, games can possibly play at twice the speed or have some animations sped up or some other bugs.

And then you have people that want higher framerates and those are probably out of luck.

You have to wonder, why did Tango even mess with id tech 5? It gives free 60 fps for everything even last gen consoles.

I'm getting this on PS4 but it sucks for all the PC users if they're getting a bad port.

Free? Noooooo, you can't get free 60 FPS. Although I will admit it seems like a weird fit for the game.

Seanspeed

Banned
Did you play it on consoles as well? It's pretty obvious that things get wonky at 60fps. You especially notice it with the weapons breaking sooner.
It still plays perfectly fine. Like seriously, I would have *never* noticed if it hadn't been brought up on here. Calling it 'broken' is a ridiculous exaggeration.

Persona7

Banned
Did you play it on consoles as well? It's pretty obvious that things get wonky at 60fps. You especially notice it with the weapons breaking sooner.
DS2 is unlocked on consoles. I remember the thread about that but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Anteater

They probably wanted to add better lighting effects and other stuff into the game, and don't want it to be locked to 60fps with some kind of dynamic resolution

Hypron

My thought is this may be a possibility because that's how RE4 was done.

Yeah but RE4 is 10 years old and originally developed exclusively to single platform. You'd think they'd have learnt something in those 10 years, especially for a multiplatform game.

-MD-

The 2x faster weapon breaking is like the only issue with 60fps DS2.

Even then it wasn't even an issue, I had 1 weapon break on me and then I never let it happen again, having them last 2x longer would make it so trivial that they may as well just remove the mechanic anyways.

The 2x faster weapon breaking is like the only issue with 60fps DS2.

Even then it wasn't even an issue, I had 1 weapon break on me and then I never let it happen again, having them last 2x longer would make it so trivial that they may as well just remove the mechanic anyways.

Enemy animations are also affected as well as invincibility frames. I noticed it right away when I switched to PC.
It's not about whether or not it's an issue for you, but about how unlocking framerate can lead to gameplay changes.

Seanspeed

Banned
Enemy animations are also affected as well as invincibility frames. I noticed it right away when I switched to PC.
It's not about whether or not it's an issue for you, but about how unlocking framerate can lead to gameplay changes.
Yea, that's true enough.

I'd still like to hear about how unlocking to 60fps affects things in this game, though. Dark Souls 1 had a few tiny little issues at 60fps, but was otherwise entirely playable and far superior than playing at 30fps.

I will wait on a purchase of this game til there is more info on this. I cant see myself buying this at full-price(or near full-price) if I will be stuck playing it at 30fps.

Vaiim

Getting more and more worried about this port. The game runs 1080p30 on both consoles, yet PC apparently needs 4gb VRAM for that. Plus with them refusing to deny that the PC port is capped at 30fps, it's just sounding like a poorly optimised, quick 'n dirty effort.

If Bethesda had a reputation for good PC ports I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but although their ports tend to work ok, they rarely seem to put much effort into them beyond that.

Would give anything to be wrong though, but right now I'm reconsidering my preorder, which sucks, as I'm massively hyped for this game.

Getting more and more worried about this port. The game runs 1080p30 on both consoles, yet PC apparently needs 4gb VRAM for that. Plus with them refusing to deny that the PC port is capped at 30fps, it's just sounding like a poorly optimised, quick 'n dirty effort.

If Bethesda had a reputation for good PC ports I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but although their ports tend to work ok, they rarely seem to put much effort into them beyond that.

Would give anything to be wrong though, but right now I'm reconsidering my preorder, which sucks, as I'm massively hyped for this game.

A framerate of 30 doesn't say anything about the amount of VRAM required. A framerate of 60 would likely require as much VRAM. Although I do doubt that it will be a very good port. Even if it is true that they were talking about shared VRAM, because that is just stupid.

s_mirage

Pre-order cancelled! Although admittedly that's because I've overshot my gaming budget for the month.

I too am getting rather concerned about this port. I just hope we don't have another "Deus Ex: Invisible War" on our hands where the developers have pretty much hosed the engine through customizations.

Asgaro

Bethesda... If there is a 30 FPS lock... you know what I'll be doing.

falloutnvpurchase.PNG

skyrimpurchase.PNG

patientx

I thought this gen was going to unleash true power of pc's , in the last gen those consoles hold back all these options etc. And now we are here still the same problems...

Bl@de

This is hardly perfect. Idk about you, but I'm not a fan of comically fast enemies and attacks.

Haha never noticed because I never played it at 30fps. I thought the quick attacks are simply part of the difficulty so I adjusted to it. Didn't seem broken to me. Same about durability. Just tought the game is very punishing

Well I was wrong then I guess. My bad.

onken

Haha never noticed because I never played it at 30fps. I thought the quick attacks are simply part of the difficulty so I adjusted to it. Didn't seem broken to me. Same about durability. Just tought the game is very punishing

Same. "Broken" is still a stupid exaggeration.

Well I was wrong then I guess. My bad.

Eh, I was JUST coming out of dark souls 1, so I noticed right away that something was "wrong" with the way enemies seemed to have no grace time for parries. But w/e, the point is that tying gameplay to FPS is a bad design decision, and no dev should do it if they plan to release a game on PC.

30 FPS is not a deal-breaker for me as long as it runs at a consistent 30 FPS, one thing I can't stand in a game is fluctuating framerate. Besides, I'll have to see how the game plays itself at 30 FPS, for example, Dark Souls due to its mechanics/combat, the "weight" of the game does fine at 30 FPS (except some areas like Blighttown obviously), and 30 FPS doesn't have a huge negative impact on it. 60 frames Dark Souls is still better, but it's not as if having it at 30 was detracting from the gameplay combat.

The game was going to be a day one purchase for me but I think I'll give it a few days instead, I'd take 60 FPS over 30 FPS any day, but 30 FPS I'm fine with. Just don't do things like dropping to low 20s at places rapidly or for prolonged periods, that's my bane.

trw

Getting more and more worried about this port. The game runs 1080p30 on both consoles, yet PC apparently needs 4gb VRAM for that.

That's not what they said. They said 4gb VRAM would be required for running 1080p with all effects turned on which will probably be a lot more taxing than anything the consoles will have. Resolution is far from the only thing that matters when it comes to graphics quality.

preorder cancelled. it's the age of the internet I should have all the info I need. companies keeping secrets or whatever and trying to hide the FPS is shady. We bought new consoles for better tech and we damn well deserve it.

rjc571

Banned
It's going to be locked at 30 fps because "it makes sense"? I guess it also makes sense for me to not buy the game.

BibiMaghoo

The guy works for a massive company and people are asking him for details not released on his personal twitter.

Of course he is fucking shady about it. He can speak and get in trouble at work, he can ignore everyone, or he can be 'shady' and non-committal.

Be fair people.

Top Bottom