• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda, Obsidian Announce Fallout: New Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhlaab

It's gonna be a teaser trailer where you hear ron perlman say "War, war never changes" and then the logo appears and it says COMING SOON

Zinga

Banned
Hopefully not long from now we'll see some awesomeness, Fallout 3 was a great game and I am cautiously optimistic of what Obisidian will bring.

Aaron

bhlaab said:
It's gonna be a teaser trailer where you hear ron perlman say "War, war never changes" and then the logo appears and it says COMING SOON
I should be tired of this repeat intro, but I'm really, really not. There could be seventy Fallout games all teased the same way, and I'd still wait on baited breath for the next.

Darklord

Banned
Truant said:
Bethesda are like kinda Obsidian without soul or charm.

I don't really get the Obsidian love. They basically follow in the wake of other developers. Kotor 2(not as good as 1), NWN2(not as good as 1), Fallout: New Vegas. The only new thing they've made could have very well been outdone in every way by Mass Effect 2's mechanics.

They aren't a BAD developer but they are on a lower tier than Bioware and Bethesda.

Minsc

Gold Member
Darklord said:
I don't really get the Obsidian love. They basically follow in the wake of other developers. Kotor 2(not as good as 1), NWN2(not as good as 1), Fallout: New Vegas. The only new thing they've made could have very well been outdone in every way by Mass Effect 2's mechanics.

They aren't a BAD developer but they are on a lower tier than Bioware and Bethesda.

This has to be a joke post :lol

duckroll

Darklord said:

Hahahahahahahaha!

Darklord

Banned
Minsc said:
This has to be a joke post :lol

Aside from Kotor 2's incredibly bad performance(did it even get past 20fps?), poor balancing, and butchered story line the characters were just really weak and uninteresting. The story felt like it didn't have as good a pacing or reasons why you were traveling around then there were just pointless areas like g0-t0's ship and korriban(why include a cut area?). Carth, Bastila, Mission, all felt like characters out of Star Wars and were able to get that connection where you actually cared what happened to them. Then of course the twist in the story which rivaled "I am your father". Kotor 2's twist was like "Yep...was I meant to be surprised?". The only good character was HK-47 and that wasn't made by them. I also have a deep hatred for G0-T0. Worst character in any RPG I've ever played and the only reason he came along was cut.

NWN2 at least when I last played it was a complete mess and ran like shit. I hear it was made a lot better in one of the expansions but I never got that far.

I'm sure New Vegas will be good but my money is on a game that feels less like Fallout and runs worse(at least at launch). Less interesting exploring but probably better story.

duckroll

NWN2 is light years better than the piece of crap NWN1 was. I'm not even talking about the expansions. NWN1 wasn't even a decent game, just a lazy campaign packaged with what they were trying to sell as a campaign creation tool. :p

Darklord said:
Aside from Kotor 2's incredibly bad performance(did it even get past 20fps?), poor balancing, and butchered story line the characters were just really weak and uninteresting. The story felt like it didn't have as good a pacing or reasons why you were traveling around then there were just pointless areas like g0-t0's ship and korriban(why include a cut area?). Carth, Bastila, Mission, all felt like characters out of Star Wars and were able to get that connection where you actually cared what happened to them. Then of course the twist in the story which rivaled "I am your father". Kotor 2's twist was like "Yep...was I meant to be surprised?". The only good character was HK-47 and that wasn't made by them. I also have a deep hatred for G0-T0. Worst character in any RPG I've ever played and the only reason he came along was cut.

NWN2 at least when I last played it was a complete mess and ran like shit. I hear it was made a lot better in one of the expansions but I never got that far.

I'm sure New Vegas will be good but my money is on a game that feels less like Fallout and runs worse(at least at launch). Less interesting exploring but probably better story.

if the makers of fallout cant make a fallout game feel like fallout, who can?

Darklord

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
if the makers of fallout cant make a fallout game feel like fallout, who can?

That was 14 years ago under a different name. Times change. But again I'm not saying it'll be bad, I'm sure as hell buying in on day 1(I feel like I need to say this because people will read one post of mine and think I'm calling Obsidian shit or something).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Darklord said:
My opinion on Kotor 2 is almost opposite. i liked Kotor 2 because it was definitely the least Star Wars-like game ive played. The thematic changes were like those made in DS9.

NWN2 OC is imo the worst thing Obsidian has done. Even then, NWN2s OC is so much above and beyond NWN's OC it isnt even funny. Also the most of the issues were addressed with the patch that came out with the first expansion.. just like in NWN1.

How can it feel any less than Fallout 3?

Darklord

Banned
Number 2 said:
How can it feel any less than Fallout 3?

Ok I should probably clarify this. I kinda consider Fallout 3 to be a bit of a reboot with the huge change in genre and style and with that creating it's own unique feel. I guess for people looking for the old feel that view is pretty invalid but that's just how I see it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Darklord said:

You should really try MotB again, NWN2 performance isn't the best I agree, even on my system I get dips to around 30fps, but KOTOR2 ran at like 500+fps if you turn off vsync for me. I've seen enough huge fans of the game say 2 is better than 1, even with the crappy ending 2 had, and I wouldn't be surprised if I shared the same opinion when I get around to them.

I wonder if this info we get today is something going to be as polarizing as I'm hoping it to be!

Crin

Fingers crossed for 3rd person RPG return to awesome from Obsidian. I just didn't "get" Fallout as a FPS with RPG elements tacked on :(

Crin said:
Fingers crossed for 3rd person RPG return to awesome from Obsidian. I just didn't "get" Fallout as a FPS with RPG elements tacked on :(

Here's to hoping that option of fps/tps rpg remains intact!

(With a better tps view this time)

Dennis

Banned
Truant said:
Bethesda are like kinda Obsidian without soul or charm.
No, just no.

Obsidian is great but so is Bethesda. We would not have those big budget open-world exploration based RPGs if not for Bethesda - and they made Morrowind for Gods sake !

Durante

Well, I'm excited.

duckroll said:
NWN2 is light years better than the piece of crap NWN1 was. I'm not even talking about the expansions. NWN1 wasn't even a decent game, just a lazy campaign packaged with what they were trying to sell as a campaign creation tool. :p
I agree completely. NWN1 wasn't just a bad Bioware game, it was a bad game period. The NWN2 OC isn't the most inventive RPG experience ever, but it was infinitely more enjoyable than its predecessor.

heringer

I'm not familiar with NWN, but I think KOTOR is far superior than KOTOR 2. What other games did Obsidian developed? I know I'm interested in that Alpha Protocol, and in Fallout New Vegas of course.

golem

duckroll said:
NWN's Original Campaign was so bad I was ready to write Bioware off as a RPG developer

Durante

Aaron said:
Then you played Jade Empire and all was forgiven. :D
In all seriousness, after the NWN1 / JE one-two-punch I was ready to write Bioware off as well. They only fully rehabilitated in my eyes with Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Zinga

Banned
i've really enjoyed Obsidians work so far and I tend to not really care as much about 'rough diamonds' in PC RPGs as I do other games, KotOR 2 was amazing but suffered terribly from the short time they had to make it. NWN2 too had its share of bugs but it turned out to be fantastic. If Alpha Protocol and New Vegas both release this year i'm expecting the same thing, so PC versions will be a must.

def sim

KOTOR 2 was rushed out in a year right? For such a short development time, I'm not surprised they made an incomplete game. Even at that state, they still managed to write a better story than what was found in the first game.

Darklord said:
Ok I should probably clarify this. I kinda consider Fallout 3 to be a bit of a reboot with the huge change in genre and style and with that creating it's own unique feel. I guess for people looking for the old feel that view is pretty invalid but that's just how I see it.

well honestly it kinda is, it kept the storyline and some of the ideas (SPECIAL, different outcomes) but married it with the elder scrolls engine as opposed to the isometric hexagonal combat.

Fallout 3 kinda was the GTA 3 of the series, although without the earth shattering genre creation lol

Dennis

Banned
Shurs said:
From a distance, Vegas looks like it's thriving. This could be interesting.
Yes, thats a lot of juice being consumed there. Interesting if it is a major functioning urban enviroment.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Trailer should get its own thread. Creating now. This thread will be unlocked later for general discussion to resume, but make sure to create new threads for significant new info like a debut trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom